***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,506
    Dobbs clears waivers. Going to play everyday in Lehigh. Hopefully he gets his swing back because we need another lefty off the bench, and there's really nothing out there.

Also - say the Phils desperately need a lefty hitter come September, and into the playoffs. Ya think there's any chance they bring up Brown before August 31st so he could qualify for the postseason roster? I know this concept sounds pretty crazy, but I guess it's just wishful thinking. I mean they're going to call him up in September anyway, so why not bring him up on August 30th just in case?

fuck it--i would call him up.
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,955
    Dobbs clears waivers. Going to play everyday in Lehigh. Hopefully he gets his swing back because we need another lefty off the bench, and there's really nothing out there.

Also - say the Phils desperately need a lefty hitter come September, and into the playoffs. Ya think there's any chance they bring up Brown before August 31st so he could qualify for the postseason roster? I know this concept sounds pretty crazy, but I guess it's just wishful thinking. I mean they're going to call him up in September anyway, so why not bring him up on August 30th just in case?

I would assume he'll be in Lehigh at the latest after the All Star break, right? He is absolutely raking in Reading. I mean look at these numbers.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb ... pid=502126
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712

I would assume he'll be in Lehigh at the latest after the All Star break, right? He is absolutely raking in Reading. I mean look at these numbers.

I wouldn't. Stick to the plan. Getting brought up and not hitting at all would probably be the worst thing to happen to him, especially with limited AB's. No need to skip a level. Let him completely develop, you guys have a good team.

Kind of like what the Yanks are doign with Montero, he mashed in double a and is now struggling in triple a. Let them develop.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I wouldn't. Stick to the plan. Getting brought up and not hitting at all would probably be the worst thing to happen to him, especially with limited AB's. No need to skip a level. Let him completely develop, you guys have a good team.

Kind of like what the Yanks are doign with Montero, he mashed in double a and is now struggling in triple a. Let them develop.

Yeah, that's what the organEYEzation said they're gonna do. Let him develop. I'm not talking about him coming up to the majors any time soon, but if they're going to call him up in September then why not a day or two earlier? Then again, that wouldn't have to matter if someone gets injured.
    [q
    Yeah, that's what the organEYEzation said they're gonna do. Let him develop. I'm not talking about him coming up to the majors any time soon, but if they're going to call him up in September then why not a day or two earlier? Then again, that wouldn't have to matter if someone gets injured.

I would not promote him to the majors without getting him AB's in Triple A and doing well. There are not many players like Heyward, don't roll the dice with him being one. I would honestly leave him down for this season, maybe promote him to Triple A and give him a shot in spring training next year.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    [q

I would not promote him to the majors without getting him AB's in Triple A and doing well. There are not many players like Heyward, don't roll the dice with him being one. I would honestly leave him down for this season, maybe promote him to Triple A and give him a shot in spring training next year.

Yeah, but I'm saying he will get his AB's at AAA(I'm assuming he'll get promoted sometime in July), and he's on the 40 man so he'll be up in September no matter what. All minors' seasons are done by early September anyway, right?
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

I don't care about MVPs, 500th home runs, HOFers, or any of that individual shit. I want the phillies to win. plain and simple. howard's contract is an albatross

winning sells more tickets than anything. think about how much playoff gates are worth alone

what are you going to say if/when howard's up for the hall of fame? cuz if he gets to 500....all those individual numbers and awards plus the fact that his teams won at least 1 title and went to another means he'll be there.[/quote]

what will I say? I don't know, congratulations? there are plenty of guys in the HOF that aren't deserving. 500 homers isn't that big of a deal any more. adam dunn is a virtual lock for 500 too and he blows

I hope he ends up with 800 homers since he's gonna be a phillie
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    [q

Yeah, but I'm saying he will get his AB's at AAA(I'm assuming he'll get promoted sometime in July), and he's on the 40 man so he'll be up in September no matter what. All minors' seasons are done by early September anyway, right?

Gotcha. Yeah, all minor league seasons are done around that time. Makes sense, I am just saying I would make sure he is having some success in AAA before coming up.

I guess that's possible. I think it's more realistic that they make a trade for a veteran guy (delucci, stairs, etc are examples of this happening the last few years).
    pjhawks wrote:

can you fn read? I said ARGUABLY not that he was the better player. and again use the fact that i typed something wrong, and edited within 5 minutes, 2 months ago against me. each day you become more and more of a dbag on here.

you mock OBP all the time (proving you are lost)...I bust your balls and you act like a 10 year old.

you need to learn how to argue your points instead of name calling. I guess when you get smoked in every debate that's what you have to resort to. sad
    The Fixer wrote:

I guess that's possible. I think it's more realistic that they make a trade for a veteran guy (delucci, stairs, etc are examples of this happening the last few years).

Yeah, I'm thinking a waiver trade guy. I'm starting to think they make a play for another starter if things keep looking the way they are - if they think they're gonna go into the playoff, let alone MAKE the playoffs, with your best top 3 being Doc, Cole, Moyer, then they've got another thing coming.

If they make a trade before the deadline I think this is the priority list -
    1. Reliever - you could probably get someone really solid from a shitty team looking to dump a highly paid vet for some low prospects - like a Beimel or something?
    2. 3/4 starter - along the lines of a Blanton or Lohse.
    3. Lefty bench bat - whom I think they'll look for after the trade deadline.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,506
    The Fixer wrote:

I don't care about MVPs, 500th home runs, HOFers, or any of that individual shit. I want the phillies to win. plain and simple. howard's contract is an albatross

winning sells more tickets than anything. think about how much playoff gates are worth alone

what are you going to say if/when howard's up for the hall of fame? cuz if he gets to 500....all those individual numbers and awards plus the fact that his teams won at least 1 title and went to another means he'll be there.

what will I say? I don't know, congratulations? there are plenty of guys in the HOF that aren't deserving. 500 homers isn't that big of a deal any more. adam dunn is a virtual lock for 500 too and he blows

I hope he ends up with 800 homers since he's gonna be a phillie[/quote]
    :lol:

baseball's the toughest of all sports to make the hall. i'm glad you at least admit he will probably be in the discussion for it.
    www.myspace.com
    The Fixer wrote:

what are you going to say if/when howard's up for the hall of fame? cuz if he gets to 500....all those individual numbers and awards plus the fact that his teams won at least 1 title and went to another means he'll be there.

I hope he ends up with 800 homers since he's gonna be a phillie
    :lol:

baseball's the toughest of all sports to make the hall. i'm glad you at least admit he will probably be in the discussion for it.[/quote]

jim rice and bill mazeroski got in...nothing would surprise me

but again, I could care less about the HOF. I just want the phils to win
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:

I hope he ends up with 800 homers since he's gonna be a phillie[/quote]
    I truly wonder if u actually know how much of a douchebag u sound like. Seriously people like u are why we Philadelphia fans get a bad name. Never happy don't appericate shit until its gone winning titles in another city. I now understand why outsiders hate us some much,because of ungrateful so called fans like you.
    Go Birds!!!!
    1. You people gotta learn to quote
    2. Stop being fags.
    I truly wonder if u actually know how much of a douchebag u sound like. Seriously people like u are why we Philadelphia fans get a bad name. Never happy don't appericate shit until its gone winning titles in another city. I now understand why outsiders hate us some much,because of ungrateful so called fans like you.

ok from now on I will love anyone that puts on the phillie uniform. wilson valdez, you are awesome.

The dude does not like one player and that makes him a douchebag and ungrateful? You don't have to love every player on your team. I think he is realistic, not ungrateful. It's bickering and calling names that gives you a worse name, a debate is a debate, you don't have to agree.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

The dude does not like one player and that makes him a douchebag and ungrateful? You don't have to love every player on your team. I think he is realistic, not ungrateful. It's bickering and calling names that gives you a worse name, a debate is a debate, you don't have to agree.

Exactly. On point.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I have no problem if someone dislikes a player. But to hate on probably the 2nd best run producer in team history because u don't like his contract is crazy. That's what is annoying,remember schmitty he got booed and he's the best player in team history. Now all those who once booed love him the fakeness kills me.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

the fact that he (the Fixer) constantly harps on a hall of fame level player on a daily basis makes him one of those Phily type fans that jamminpearls is referring to. not to mention how condescending his arguments are in that everyone else's opinions don't matter (as in mvps, hall of fame. etc. don't matter because HE says so). so yes I agree with jamminpearls here.
    pjhawks wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

the fact that he (the Fixer) constantly harps on a hall of fame level player on a daily basis makes him one of those Phily type fans that jamminpearls is referring to. not to mention how condescending his arguments are in that everyone else's opinions don't matter (as in mvps, hall of fame. etc. don't matter because HE says so). so yes I agree with jamminpearls here.

Dude, condescending? This coming from the guy that always likes to refer to people as WIP trash when they have an opinion different from his - though it seems like the only one who comes off as a WIP zombie is the one spewing those same accusations.

You're all acting ridiculous. Talk about the pot calling the kettle....something something.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423

Dude, condescending? This coming from the guy that always likes to refer to people as WIP trash when they have an opinion different from his - though it seems like the only one who comes off as a WIP zombie is the one spewing those same accusations.

You're all acting ridiculous. Talk about the pot calling the kettle....something something.

jearlpam - never did i call anyone WIP-Trash - i said at times there is WIP-itis on this board. Running McNabb out of town and ripping on Ryan Howard on a daily basis is WIP-like behavior, regardless if you ever listen to that crap. When one person rips on the top level players of each franchise in the city I would consider that WIP-itis would you not?
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Man..I wish this team would just start winning so most of you would clean your Man-gina's else where !

We in Philly tend to eat our own..prime example is this thread

Anyone going Saturday ? I'll be there !
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    pjhawks wrote:

jearlpam - never did i call anyone WIP-Trash - i said at times there is WIP-itis on this board. Running McNabb out of town and ripping on Ryan Howard on a daily basis is WIP-like behavior, regardless if you ever listen to that crap. When one person rips on the top level players of each franchise in the city I would consider that WIP-itis would you not?

Personally, from everything I've ever seen you write in the Eagles thread I've always thought you've had a hard-on with anyone who's been critical of McNabb and have had a trigger finger to talk down to anyone who did so.

That aside, the dude never said he hates Howard, he hates the contract. And I can understand why. The dude likes to talk baseball through and through - from OBP to contracts. Call him a nerd, but not uninformed or misguided.
    Man..I wish this team would just start winning so most of you would clean your Man-gina's else where !

EXACTLY. And that is the single biggest problem with our fan base.

I'll be there saturday wearing my ryan howard jersey
    The Fixer wrote:

I'll be there saturday wearing my ryan howard jersey
    Lol,that was funny. :clap::lol:
    Go Birds!!!!
    everyone here is entitled to an opinion. if others disagree with said opinion, it's somewhere that we can debate and discuss. I always thought that name calling during debates was the equivalent of admitting defeat...there's nothing productive that comes from that type of crap....that's what my 4 year old nephews do.

jamminpearls and pjhawks love howard. I don't, mainly becasue of his contract. pjhawks has even said that he doesn't care how much a player makes in a given year. I disagree with that line of thinking because I care about winning not only in 2010, but in future years as well. I don't understand that fan point of view, but I'm not here to pretend to be a GM or call people names. I can just make my points for not liking howard relative to his all around production (ie, not just shiny HRs and RBI) and salary.

Not everyone is going to like every player on the team that they root for. There's no law that says they have to (frankly I think it's ridiculous that people get upset about anyone NOT liking any player...seriously, who cares?). There are tons of philly fans that hated allen iverson, even though he is one of the best players in franchise history.

If you don't like my opinions, I invite you to debate. or call names if you want. I don't really give a shit...those types of actions just make you look foolish. I don't think it's a coincidence that those here who seem to know the most about baseball tend to agree most of the time.
    edited June 2010
    manuel is brutal tonight. he has made about 5 questionable moves in the last 2 innings alone

EDIT: not even manuel could prevent a win. welcome back rollins. time to get on a roll fellas
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    WELCOME BACK, JIMMY BOY!!
This discussion has been closed.