Options

((( The Stop Smoking Cigarettes Thread)))

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,333
    mickeyrat wrote:
    If I only smoke during finals and when writing papers (a pack every 2 months or so), does that mean I'm "quitting" in the in between times or that I'm just a non-smoker that has a few on special occasions?
    Justifying harmful behavior? You know better than that.

If occasionally smoking was considered against the rules, there would be no more AA.
    Maybe not. If it came do to stop smoking or drink I would quit, since it doesn't ....... The real question is do you wish to stop? if so then the people on this thread are willing to help.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    mickeyrat wrote:
    Maybe not. If it came do to stop smoking or drink I would quit, since it doesn't ....... The real question is do you wish to stop? if so then the people on this thread are willing to help.

I'm not sure what you're asking. The whole point of my post was, aside from being rather tongue-in-cheek, to see if technically I'm quitting or just occasionally starting. I'm not particularly worried about it... on the list of vices I could have, it's pretty mild. Just trying to lighten things up.
  • Options
    occasional smoking is just that....smoking.

like i said, if that's your only outlet/vice...and you don't do it often, then stop.

it's your life but i would suggest finding another outlet like exercising or doing something with your hands like playing a musical instrument or playing video games.

anything but smoking!
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    occasional smoking is just that....smoking.

like i said, if that's your only outlet/vice...and you don't do it often, then stop.

it's your life but i would suggest finding another outlet like exercising or doing something with your hands like playing a musical instrument or playing video games.

anything but smoking!

Smoking a cigarette takes about 5 minutes... the others take at least a half hour... I haven't got time for that ;)

But I stand censured and scolded and corrected. I'm a smoker, but I don't plan to stop. I'm not worried about the 10 per moth I do have. I'm more worried about my fast food intake. Good luck to all those who are trying though!
  • Options
    My coworker and I are both quitting on February 1st... we've set the date, now it's just following through. I'm buying the patches this week. As a regular smoker for 19 years, this should be interesting and a really big B*TCH but I'm ready.
  • Options
    Yo...
    Where is everybody?? Thought I'd pop in with an update...

Day 40 no cigs!

Monday will be Day 42 which will be the 6 week or 1.5 month mark. I'm pretty psyched because I'm fast approaching my best ever mark was which 50 some days (51 or 52) back in April 08 to June 08. Determined to go well beyond that and hopefully never smoke again.

Also...Day 31 no pot/alcohol!

Got a full month of sobriety and I feel great. Gonna keep this going also, hopefully for life.

And not to toot my own horn, but I am/have been doing this all cold turkey and with no counseling or real support from anyone (besides you guys). So it goes to show you that anything is possible and it CAN be done...you just have to want it!

I'll check in later when I have more days under my belt.

I sincerely hope everyone is doing well on their path.

Peace and Love to you all.
  • Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Congrats. to Everyone!!!! I can't believe how great everyone is doing :mrgreen:
    This is so awesome... Yah!!! You guys must feel great :D

You'll really know it when you can't stand the smell of cigarettes anymore :evil: My senses have become Very sensitive since I've stopped :mrgreen:

Keep on checking in and sharing your stories, love to hear them :mrgreen:

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( hugs & love ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 283
    Can I add, that the saying "every cigarrette is doing you damage" is a saying for a reason. It is, they do.
    Further to my point (and I am not breaking confidentiality here as no mention of names - and not meaning to sound like a lecture)
    The other day I took a call at work from a 28 year old, with two young kids and a new fiance, who was dying from cancer of the throat. 28, a smoker of 6 years. Not a heavy smoker either.. maybe 5-10 a day, with periods of non smoking in between. Please do not think you are invincible. These things happen because every cigarrette really is doing you damage.

People who have quit, be it with help/counselling/products or cold turkey. Well done. I hope you are all starting to notice the benefits of being a non smoker. We are all very proud of you. I am sure you all know the benefits of quitting, but please just ask if you want more information (it's what i do for a job afterall)

:)
    I have no signature
  • Options
    Here is some information that the QLD government and Quitline give out. No doubt most of it you already know, but some of you may find it useful.

WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR BODY WHEN YOU QUIT SMOKING

After 8 hours: Nictoine will start to leave your body
    Your heart rate and blood pressure will begin to return to normal
    The level of oxygen in your blood will start to increase

After 12: There will be almost no nicotine remaining in your body

After 3-5 days: Sense of taste and smell improve
    You will feel and sleep better and your breath, clothes and hair will smell fresher

After 1 month: Your immune system will begin to show signs of recovery
    You will experience less shortness of breath and be able to exercise more easily

After 2 months: Your lungs will no longer be producing the extra phlegm cause by smoking
    Blood pressure returns to normal
    Blood circulation will improve and blood will flow more easily to hands and feet

After 3 months: The cilia in your lungs will have recovered to efficiently clean your lungs and airways

After 1 year: Your risk of dying from coronary heart disease will be half that of a continuing smoker
    After 5 years: Your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus will be half that of a smoker
    After 10 years: Your risk of lung cancer will be less than half that of a continuing smoker
    After 15 years: Your risk of coronary heart disease and stroke will be almost the same as that of a person who have never smoked
    If you live in Queensland Australia, and just want to talk with someone about smoking, quitting or challenges, i would recommend calling quitline. They do great things. Same for people in the rest of Australia.... I don't know what other countries offer in terms of support though :)

Keep up the good work everyone. :)!
    I have no signature
  • Options
    yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    shit, thanks hun!!! :D

Kaine and I are both cranking along, but he has been having some strange side effects :?

Not being able to sleep, getting sick alot easier...are these both withdrawl symptoms?
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    YellowLed,

Side effects of not smoking.. interesting concept. I guess it takes a while for your lungs to clear out so for the first few weeks you cough up a lot more crap (over 4000 chemicals in each cig), takes a while for the lungs to get that shit out, so... he could be sick in that sense. Smoking decreases your immune system, so maybe he is just unlucky and has gotten sick around the same time of quitting. Correlation does not equal causation.

Regarding the sleeping. could be a few things. Is he drinking more caffeine or chewing more gum, caffeine keeps you up, chewing too much gum could have him running to the loo therefore keeping him up. does he feel anxious about quitting?? ie, is it worry/anxiety keeping him from sleeping?

Are there other things happening in his/your life that could be having the same effect (eg: selling or buying property, relationship issues, work stress etc).

Hope that gives you a few things to think about :)
    I have no signature
  • Options
    yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    Stella wrote:
    YellowLed,

Side effects of not smoking.. interesting concept. I guess it takes a while for your lungs to clear out so for the first few weeks you cough up a lot more crap (over 4000 chemicals in each cig), takes a while for the lungs to get that shit out, so... he could be sick in that sense. Smoking decreases your immune system, so maybe he is just unlucky and has gotten sick around the same time of quitting. Correlation does not equal causation.

Regarding the sleeping. could be a few things. Is he drinking more caffeine or chewing more gum, caffeine keeps you up, chewing too much gum could have him running to the loo therefore keeping him up. does he feel anxious about quitting?? ie, is it worry/anxiety keeping him from sleeping?

Are there other things happening in his/your life that could be having the same effect (eg: selling or buying property, relationship issues, work stress etc).

Hope that gives you a few things to think about :)
    ;) Hit the nail on the head there mate, regards to property and job stress.....

He doesnt chew gum or drink coffee/tea but he does have a bit of Coke at dinner...maybe thats giving him a buzz....will tell him what you suggested and see how that goes :) Yeah, I think he is unlucky in the regards to getting sick now...he thinks he's getting tonsilitis :?

Thanks ;)
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    Hi Everyone!!

Just wanted to check in with everyone to see how your doing :D I'm so glad you are doing well ~ there were a couple of set backs for some people, but everyone for the most part are going to give it another shot....

I celebrated my (5) month anniversary on the second :mrgreen: Am totally psyched about that!!

Have a great week & I'll be back to see how everyone's doing :D I'm really proud of all of you...This has to be the best thread ever posted :D

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( love & hugs )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    Day 42 - no pot/alcohol (6 weeks)

Day 51 - no cigarettes (2-3 days shy of my best ever record, 5 days shy of 8 weeks)
  • Options
    Awesome work!
    I have no signature
  • Options
    pinot768pinot768 Posts: 295
    YAY to all who are trudging the happy road to non-smoker's ville!! I am at day 52 - woo hoo!!! It is awesome! I don't get any cravings, and so far have not put on more than just a couple of pounds. Now, for Lent I will be giving up the Diet Coke habit that I have, as well as the candy. I figure if I can lay off both of those for the next six weeks, I will be much happier and healthier :D
    "I was born, and I know that I'll die...the in-between is mine."
  • Options
    SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    i'm ciggy free since new years.....cannot believe it
  • Options
    Sawyer wrote:
    i'm ciggy free since new years.....cannot believe it
    Me, too, Sawyer - pretty freakin' cool, isn't it?? :o
  • Options
    Day 61 - no cigs (best I've ever done....will be 2 months in 2 days!)

Day 52 - no pot/alcohol (also best I've ever done. I feel great!)
  • Options

WOO HOO!!!!! Big round of applause! No alcohol for me in over 18 months. Never was a pot smoker, but with my naturally addictive personality, I am sure I would have loved it and had a tough time giving it up as well :D I do feel so much better since I quit smoking, though!
  • Options
    pinot768 wrote:

WOO HOO!!!!! Big round of applause! No alcohol for me in over 18 months. Never was a pot smoker, but with my naturally addictive personality, I am sure I would have loved it and had a tough time giving it up as well :D I do feel so much better since I quit smoking, though!

Awesome.

Yeah, it only gets better. And easier and easier. I don't even think about it on a daily basis.
  • Options
    pinot768 wrote:

Awesome.

Yeah, it only gets better. And easier and easier. I don't even think about it on a daily basis.

Neither do I, which is really nice. That is different from all the other times I quit - I would obsess about smoking! It's nice to not have that constant thought hanging around. :mrgreen:
  • Options
    pinot768 wrote:

Neither do I, which is really nice. That is different from all the other times I quit - I would obsess about smoking! It's nice to not have that constant thought hanging around. :mrgreen:

Agreed...and what do you think made it different for you this time?
  • Options
    pinot768 wrote:

I think I just finally hit a point where I was ready to be done. I wasn't fighting the cravings, because I think I was actually glad to not be smoking. I don't know if that makes sense, but it seems like this time was just THE time after all my other attempts.
  • Options
    pinot768 wrote:
    pinot768 wrote:

I think I just finally hit a point where I was ready to be done. I wasn't fighting the cravings, because I think I was actually glad to not be smoking. I don't know if that makes sense, but it seems like this time was just THE time after all my other attempts.

Yeah that makes sense. For me, it was all the other times of failure. The continual disappointment I felt when I relapsed. So I told myself, "you know what's going to happen if you mess up...you know you're just going to be upset about it...so don't do it." And that's worked.

Keep it strong man.
  • Options
    Congrats to all of you triers out there!!!!

Your all doing great!! Just keep checking in, I still want to know everyone's progress :D

I'm in between three different boards & I do check them all :D

Good Luck to Everybody!! Yay!!!

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( hugs & love )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    Yesterday was 2 months!!! Just had to update with that. Best I've ever done...I'm psyched to continue being a non-smoker.
  • Options
    Woo Hoo!!! Great job Music for Rhinos :D
  • Options
    Congrats. to all of you!!!! :D

It's sounds like your all doing a terrific job. I'll be going on six months on the 2nd of March :D:D

It just feels great!!! I love hearing all of this great news.. Keep up the great work everyone :D

((((((((((((((((((((((((((( hugs ))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    Hi Everyone!!!

I just needed to say Congrats. to all of the triers out there & keep up the good work. I'm really proud of you all :D Just stick with it & you will be fine.

Today, which is almost over is my 6th month of not smoking & I'm feeling pretty damn good about that... :D I honestly wouldn't have thought this was possible a year ago and for that matter a little over six months ago.

So everyone just stick with it...the time goes by pretty quickly and you just know your doing the right thing for yourself and others also.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( hugs & love )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad