Options

((( The Stop Smoking Cigarettes Thread)))

Comments

• Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I found it!!!

Hope everyone is doing well with NOT SMOKING!!!

((((((( hugs to you all )))))))

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    Here's the thread you've been looking for Thorns2010, I found this a few days ago :)

I can't believe that it's been 1 year and 2 months since I quit, although I've been VERY tempted at times.

I really hope there are others that have also quit, or that are trying...

(((((( Good Luck! ))))))

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Day 9 smoke free. I've smoke for more than 20 years. I'm using the nicotine lozenges and they're really taking the edge off. Ti's been tough but I'm hanging in there.
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Options
    Well it's been a looooooooooooooooooooooong time since I posted in this thread... Some new friends were discussing quitting and I remembered this gem.

Yes I did quit for a bit but unfortunately went back... I think HSB still is off (I hope)...

Soooooooooooo....
    Shall we try this again??
    I think a lead up to it worked before to get everyone's heads around it...
    I propose a couple of weeks to set up how we are going to do this...

Anyone with me??
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Don't know. I want to lose some weight first, I always eat more when I stop.

:think:
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    just quit and get fat like the rest of us.

:lol:

mmm cheese steak
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Well it's been a looooooooooooooooooooooong time since I posted in this thread... Some new friends were discussing quitting and I remembered this gem.

Yes I did quit for a bit but unfortunately went back... I think HSB still is off (I hope)...

Soooooooooooo....
    Shall we try this again??
    I think a lead up to it worked before to get everyone's heads around it...
    I propose a couple of weeks to set up how we are going to do this...

Anyone with me??
    Im with on this one BD :D
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
  • Options
    Bizarro wrote:

mmm cheese steak
    You suck! :lol:
    I am now checking the Amtrak schedule to Philly :evil:
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    :mrgreen:

i might have to run downtown this weekend. just south of wrigley is a joint owned by a philly transplant.

not as good as having one in philly, but not bad either.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Bizarro wrote:

mmm cheese steak

A little on the cuddly side already, want to get skinny so that it won't matter how much I eat.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I'm coming up on 18 months nicotine-free....yes, I'm fat. yes, I STILL have cravings....totally worth it.
    I smoked for 20+ years, well over half of my life...Get back on the horse BD, if I can do it, anyone can!
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    good for me
    i haven't touched a smoke in months
    this is exciting
    i do not even ever want a cigarette
    it has even came to me hating myself for ever even looking at cigarettes

fuck you cigarettes
    you bastards
    i hate you all
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    good for me
    i haven't touched a smoke in months
    this is exciting
    i do not even ever want a cigarette
    it has even came to me hating myself for ever even looking at cigarettes

fuck you cigarettes
    you bastards
    i hate you all
    +1
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    cigarettes are evil
    please can we all quick?

anything is better than smokes
    heroin... you are better off being a homeless junkie
    true fact

one of my doctors looked me straight in the eyes and told me i would be better off being a heroin addict
    than being a tobacco user

HEROIN, HERE I COME :twisted:
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick wrote:
    cigarettes are evil
    please can we all quick?

anything is better than smokes
    heroin... you are better off being a homeless junkie
    true fact

one of my doctors looked me straight in the eyes and told me i would be better off being a heroin addict
    than being a tobacco user

HEROIN, HERE I COME :twisted:

You know it's weird you saying that, but in my job I meet a lot of medical people and on more than one occasion I have been told that giving up cigarettes is harder than giving up heroin. Obviously I can't compare the two, having never taken heroin.
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    I can attest that that is true, I've quit smoking heroin, but I'm still smoking cigs.. there's one fact for sure!!
  • Options
    JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    So i'm going to try quitting tomorrow...I've done it before for 3 yrs back when I was younger. My dad said he'd pay for my car insurance if I did so that was a big incentive. This time my incentive is to buy a car with the money i'll save by not buying smokes. I'm going to wait a month or so to see if I can do it and then start shopping around. The plan today/tonight is to smoke my brains out.

Happy New Years! :D
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Jukee wrote:
    So i'm going to try quitting tomorrow...I've done it before for 3 yrs back when I was younger. My dad said he'd pay for my car insurance if I did so that was a big incentive. This time my incentive is to buy a car with the money i'll save by not buying smokes. I'm going to wait a month or so to see if I can do it and then start shopping around. The plan today/tonight is to smoke my brains out.

Happy New Years! :D
    Good Luck! You also have a great a couple of great incentives!! :D

I know you can do it Jukee!!! :thumbup: :clap::clap::clap:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    beer is harder than cigs to quit.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    Thanks HSB :D

Well it's been since 1:30am New Year's since I've had my last one. Fortunately it's been easier than I thought it would be the last two days but that's probably because I haven't hung out with anybody who smokes yet. Today will be the test. I'm going to visit my cousin and she and her husband both smoke (in the house to boot :sick: ).
    I just have to keep telling myself...I'm strong, I can do this! I feel so much better already, no heartburn, no heart palpitations and my mouth doesn't taste like shit all the time.
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    Jukee wrote:

Well it's been since 1:30am New Year's since I've had my last one. Fortunately it's been easier than I thought it would be the last two days but that's probably because I haven't hung out with anybody who smokes yet. Today will be the test. I'm going to visit my cousin and she and her husband both smoke (in the house to boot :sick: ).
    I just have to keep telling myself...I'm strong, I can do this! I feel so much better already, no heartburn, no heart palpitations and my mouth doesn't taste like shit all the time.
    Oh awesome! You can do it!!!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    foul ass plant... hindu kush time
  • Options
    dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    Good luck to you all. I am faithfull!
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    Four years ago today I quit a ten year 25+ a day habit.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    ZiggyStar wrote:

What method(s) did you use to quit?
  • Options
    ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    ZiggyStar wrote:

What method(s) did you use to quit?

I'd never tried to quit before. Never wanted to. I loved smoking so much that I used to smoke in the shower each morning and sometimes at night too. Generally every morning though because I would shower as soon as I woke up. The last thing I did every night was smoke a cigarette in bed....had a big ashtray full of butts next to my pillow. So fucking filthy now that I think back about it. I used to use an entire asthma inhaler in a week sometimes and had the most disgusting hacky cough at the end for months and months. I sounded like a dying old man hacking up a lung each morning. :|

Anyway, I was pretty confident I could do it cold turkey but my bf wasn't keen and we both wanted to do it the same way so we knew how each other was feeling etc and could help each other. So we bought patches and did it exactly how the packet said. I didn't want any excuse to fuck up. It was a 12 week program -- 4 weeks x heavy strength, 4 weeks x medium strength, 4 weeks x light strength. We got to week 5 and onto the medium strength and we both forgot to put one on in the morning....and neither of us realised until the afternoon when we rang each other and said "Fuck! Have you even thought about a cigarette or the patch?!" and neither of us had. We did a few more days and forgot again...and then realised we didn't need the patches anymore.

On the day we quit, my bf bought a computer game and I bought 2 tv boxsets. He sat in the office playing computer games for a couple of days and I printed thousands and thousands of flyers for my business which I had to sign, fold and envelope. The computer game and flyers occupied our hands and kept us sane in the first few days. It helped so much. Otherwise we would have just been sitting there staring at each other and wanting to do something with our hands. I also refused to smoke weed in the form of a joint for a whole year. I was too scared it would make me crack.

I still love the feeling of smoke in my mouth when I smoke weed. If I get told I definitely only have a few months to live, I'm buying a 20 pack of Marlboro reds, grabbing a bong and going out in haze of smoke! :lol:

But seriously, quitting is best thing I ever did.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Ziggy, that's such a good story about how it could be done! :) Doing it with a partner was a great idea.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I agree... when I quit, I rolled a ton of VERY THIN, ALL PAPER pinners... I would smoke one every time I wanted a cig, pinners are so harsh there is no way I'd want a cig after I was done... I then went back to water filtered pieces only.
  • Options
    Jukee wrote:

I'm so proud of you!!! You definitely have the "will power" to overcome this horrible, disgusting habit!!!

I'm here for you Jukee :thumbup: :clap::clap::clap::D

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad