Options

((( The Stop Smoking Cigarettes Thread)))

Comments

• Options
    YOU WERE at the GAME last night! Ahhhh! Jealous! Was there a couple of weeks ago.

I grew up about 10/15 minutes from Shea and sat in your seats everytime we cut out of school. Nothing better than a spring day in the cheap seats at Shea and watching the Flushing River burn.

Couldn't be more with you man, been a lifelong Met fan. I've been luck maybe 2 or 3 times and sat in the orange, the view is great, but nothing compares to the true fans in the upper deck. Shea isn't the nicest stadium in the world but I'll miss it when its gone.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Left Porch wrote:
    Thanks for the support everyone I really appreciate it. Went to the Met game last night, had a few beers in the parking lot before and a few more at the game. The urge to smoke was definitely there especially since we were sitting in the last possible row of the upper deck where two of the people I was with and many others were lighting up. With gum, willpower, the patch and more importantly a great game I was able to get through it. My work schedule has been very light (only workin 3 days a week) which has given me time to exercise and the not spending $6.50 a day has helped save a little bit of money while my income is not very steady.

Sounds like all of you are doing great as well, good luck and thanks again.

What is it with you yanks drinking in carparks?? :D
    You also do some thing (tailing??) at Pearl Jam concerts where you all drive cars together then sit in the carpark and drink and smoke (relevant to thread:D)? We'd get a drinking in public fine here.

Good to see Lefty that you got through without one in a testing environment
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    DonJon wrote:
    What is it with you yanks drinking in carparks?? :D
    You also do some thing (tailing??) at Pearl Jam concerts where you all drive cars together then sit in the carpark and drink and smoke (relevant to thread:D)? We'd get a drinking in public fine here.

There's not many places you'd get a fine here ... but still we'd rather just go to the pub! :D

MORNING!!!

... sorry that's because it's a blue skied sunny day here :) ... hope the same can be said wherever you are :cool:

So are people's friends/colleagues starting to accept them as non-smokers or are you still having people trying to bait you?

BD how many people are left in the sweepstake?

EDIT: read this and thought I'd pass it on http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7632963.stm
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    hartamh wrote:
    Thank you for sharing that info. Chime and for your support as always . That just makes me sick and I do remember when I started smoking it was excepted and there were half the chemicals in the cigarettes then.

I can remember tv shows where doctors were smoking, basically all the shows would have people smoking.

I'm just glad I've quit and so many others have joined in. My son also quit and it made it a little bit easier. Also I've had so much inspiration from my good friends here .

I would love to thank everyone for the support that I've been given, and I'm more than happy to give my support to anyone who wants it :) .

You are all like an extended family to me :) , and that means alot.

lol
    Awww :)

OK who does not have a lump in their throat (Hopefully not cancer :D )

That was sweet and you all know how I feel about you. Could not have gotten to Day 2, let alone Day 24, without all of you.

So went to Weezer at MSG last night (BTW, catch them, they were great) and found a new (or old) temptation. The old smoking (when you shouldn't) at the concert. So many smokers in GA and it was tempting for a second given my condition (a few at the bar). But temptation turned into disgust quickly and made it through without a thought although my clothes stunk.

DonJon - Nothing like a good tailgait. If you want to go to the best experience of this go to a Jimmy Buffet concert. We usually get there 6 - 8 hours before the show with food, blenders and margaritas. People come in their RV's and have huge parties including live bands. Good times!

Chime - I agree pubs are better except for football and Buffet shows.

So how are the tryers doing this morning (afternoon or evening)

I saw this morning that I have only 4 Level one patches left. Tuesday starts Level 2. Little nervous. Never got to Level 2. Any ex-smokers who used the patch have issues switching to less nicotine? I would have to imagine it will be a little more difficult. Kinda like starting over on a minor scale?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Nice message hartamh ... and it's great your son if quitting with you :)
  • Options
    Day 10: What's up everyone. Good to hear you made it through the Weezer show last night BD, a much better option than watching the Mets. Everything's going smoothly here and hope the same is true for all of you, have a good smoke free day.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    Left Porch wrote:
    Day 10: What's up everyone. Good to hear you made it through the Weezer show last night BD, a much better option than watching the Mets. Everything's going smoothly here and hope the same is true for all of you, have a good smoke free day.

HAHA! The worst part was we went into the show right after Delgado hit the GS. I was on a high. That changed when I checked the final score :( .

Hey DOUBLE DIGITS!!! Mazel Tov! That is fantastic. Truly grateful you jumping back in and joining us.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    How is Team EXXXTEND YOUR LIFE holding up? I havn't read thru here today but i hope everyone is doing awesome! Always remember YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    How is Team EXXXTEND YOUR LIFE holding up? I havn't read thru here today but i hope everyone is doing awesome! Always remember YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!

Considering the immense pressure Ive been under lately do I get a reprieve? :p
  • Options
    Hope everyone is feeling happy and healthly (whether you are part of the quitters or support crew) ... and celebrating the fact that it's FRIDAY!!!!

Hope you all have fun weekends planned :D
  • Options
    Chime wrote:
    Hope everyone is feeling happy and healthly (whether you are part of the quitters or support crew) ... and celebrating the fact that it's FRIDAY!!!!

Hope you all have fun weekends planned :D
    Good Morning and yes it's a Friday! Although very gloomy rainy Friday (You should know something about that :D )

Day 24, wow! (11 for my fellow muts fan :) )

Feeling good on the inside and outside. I little heavier (well a lot actually).

I haven't told anyone about yesterday yet. Well for all of you following the trevails of my quitting you know the stress has probably been off the charts and G-d is playing with me. So yesterday I get a call from Mrs. BD while I am in a meeting and as in a panic. Apparantly she had to take the boys to Karate and was running late. She pulls the car out of the garage and did not realize that my middle one left his car door open.

I now have a 3 door SUV.

You have to laugh. Apparently my not smoking money will be buying me a 4th door for my wife's car.

Too funny (or sad).

So as far as plans I was supposed to take the kids camping but the rain has canceled that (as well as not having a door on the car :D). Will still have a good time.

How is everyone else. Good morning to all the tryers and helpers around the world.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    You must have borrowed our rain ... been nice and sunny here for over a week (actually was hot last weekend so fingers crossed for the same this weekend) ... I'm sure you will be giving it back soon though :o

You guys should camp in the living room :p

...and bad luck on the door :o
  • Options
    Good Morning and yes it's a Friday! Although very gloomy rainy Friday (You should know something about that :D )

Day 24, wow! (11 for my fellow muts fan :) )

Feeling good on the inside and outside. I little heavier (well a lot actually).

I haven't told anyone about yesterday yet. Well for all of you following the trevails of my quitting you know the stress has probably been off the charts and G-d is playing with me. So yesterday I get a call from Mrs. BD while I am in a meeting and as in a panic. Apparantly she had to take the boys to Karate and was running late. She pulls the car out of the garage and did not realize that my middle one left his car door open.

I now have a 3 door SUV.

You have to laugh. Apparently my not smoking money will be buying me a 4th door for my wife's car.

Too funny (or sad).

So as far as plans I was supposed to take the kids camping but the rain has canceled that (as well as not having a door on the car :D). Will still have a good time.

How is everyone else. Good morning to all the tryers and helpers around the world.

Thats sucks BD, but you're right, I had to laugh when I read it. Anyway as you said shitty day here in NY, I got a long weekend so picked up some books on the way home from work last night to kill some time during what will most definitely be a boring day. Speaking of the Mets, I will be going to the game tomorrow with my Dad which should be a good time, I have not seen him since I quit smoking so he should be happy about that. Again only 11 days so I probably won't make a big deal out of it. Hope everyone on here has better weather in their neck of the woods and has a good Friday.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    Is it too late to join this Quitting Smoking thread?

I want to quit, and have been thinking of doing so for a few months, but it came to a head yesterday when I was informed my Aunty had suffered a stroke and is brain dead...she smoked and was reletively young - I don't want to end up like that and I know she would want me to quit, for her, so I need some encouragement, please.

Am unsure how well i'll do, because all I want to do right now is drink and smoke....
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    Is it too late to join this Quitting Smoking thread?

I want to quit, and have been thinking of doing so for a few months, but it came to a head yesterday when I was informed my Aunty had suffered a stroke and is brain dead...she smoked and was reletively young - I don't want to end up like that and I know she would want me to quit, for her, so I need some encouragement, please.

Am unsure how well i'll do, because all I want to do right now is drink and smoke....

WOW! I am devastated to hear that. Of course it is OK to join! Please feel free to write hear, get tips here and read back on what we all went through.

I will say this. Most of us have used some form of the patch or other help items. It seems to have made a difference. I would suggest it. There are some of us at it for almost 4 weeks. Some of us at it 11 days. It is irrelevant. An event like this should be taken as an opportunity if you are ready. I think you sound like you are ready!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Thanks BD, I think i'll really need some support through this quitting time...

I have quit before, when I was pregnant with both my kids and that was easy, because I felt I HAD to quit you know? I had to cherish the baby inside...but if im trying to quit just for me, then its harder :/

I'll read through this thread and try get some tips...i've never used patches or gum or anything before, im hoping to go cold turkey.

I'm glad you are all doing so well :)
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    Thanks BD, I think i'll really need some support through this quitting time...

I have quit before, when I was pregnant with both my kids and that was easy, because I felt I HAD to quit you know? I had to cherish the baby inside...but if im trying to quit just for me, then its harder :/

I'll read through this thread and try get some tips...i've never used patches or gum or anything before, im hoping to go cold turkey.

I'm glad you are all doing so well :)

Thanks! How much do you smoke?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Thanks! How much do you smoke?
    Oh mate, i'm ALL over the place with my smoking!

Up until about a week ago, it was only two or three, in the evenings - to wind down. I'd wait for hubby to get home, and its tradition for us to have a beer and a smoke together, and catch up on the day. :D
    It's really weird, I cant really smoke on my own, I get really dizzy and feel sick, even though ive been smoking for twelve years!

(I find it REALLY, REALLY difficult when im around friends and we're drinking, thats when I crumble. Also, we have my hubbys 30th in December, and im freaking out about that :eek: )

The last week its gone up a bit and the last day or two ive been on about ten a day....just puffing away to gather myself and "cope"

So, not much, compared to alot of people, but I think the fact that ive been smoking for almost half my life is a bit scary, and it makes it hard.
  • Options
    Oh mate, i'm ALL over the place with my smoking!

Up until about a week ago, it was only two or three, in the evenings - to wind down. I'd wait for hubby to get home, and its tradition for us to have a beer and a smoke together, and catch up on the day. :D
    It's really weird, I cant really smoke on my own, I get really dizzy and feel sick, even though ive been smoking for twelve years!

(I find it REALLY, REALLY difficult when im around friends and we're drinking, thats when I crumble. Also, we have my hubbys 30th in December, and im freaking out about that :eek: )

The last week its gone up a bit and the last day or two ive been on about ten a day....just puffing away to gather myself and "cope"

So, not much, compared to alot of people, but I think the fact that ive been smoking for almost half my life is a bit scary, and it makes it hard.

First of all, I had a brain fart and was not paying attention to whom I was writing! WELCOME BACK!!

You did your time!

Now, you have probably heard all this before but it is as much a psych thing as a physical thing.

Everyone has that one cigarette that they had the PROBLEM stopping. For me it was the first one in the morning. By the time I get to my office I am through a half a pack. At the end I was smoking a pack and a half. But still getting around the first one was the toughest. Obviously for you it will be the one with your hubby. A tough one. Speak to Hartamh because her husband still smokes at home. See if your hubby will try with you. Someone is doing it with their girlfriend. My wife does not smoke but naggs which made me need others to help me.

I know you said you want to try cold turkey, but I must be honest. I think everyone on here is now using the patch and a lot who went cold turkey stopped quitting. It deals with the physical withdrawals quite well. It is the one thing that is in a cigarette that is addictive. It will keep the heebee geebies to a minimum. At the amount you smoke you can start at the second level and be done in a month. The patch is much better than the gum. Trust me I have tried EVERYTHING.

Feel free to PM.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Wow, only on here for a small amount of time, and I already feel stronger! Thank you so much for your words BD, they certainly ring true and havent actually heard that theres the ONE cig thats the hardest! I thought they were all hard!!!

And you smoked a hell of alot, and to think you have quit really is inspiring! If you and the others can do it, I can too :):)

I will PM once I down my fries ;)
  • Options
    Wow, only on here for a small amount of time, and I already feel stronger! Thank you so much for your words BD, they certainly ring true and havent actually heard that theres the ONE cig thats the hardest! I thought they were all hard!!!

And you smoked a hell of alot, and to think you have quit really is inspiring! If you and the others can do it, I can too :):)

I will PM once I down my fries ;)

:D Have we discussed my Fee?
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    :D Have we discussed my Fee?
    No, but ive heard you're pretty cheap ;)
  • Options
    No, but ive heard you're pretty cheap ;)
    Have you been talking to the Mrs? :D

Fries will do just fine!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Okay, so here it is!

Today is my LAST day of smoking!

I am commiting to giving up the cancer sticks, starting tomorrow!

Im no good at lying, even on a computer screen, so you have my word :)
  • Options
    i quit smoking like a year and half ago, congrats to any(all) of you that are still with it, its hard and you will still think about it from time to time in the future. I took the patch but didnt read the instructions, so i didnt know that you were supposed to do the first step for like 5 weeks, the second for like 3 weeks and the 3rd for one week, i just did each one for a week and that was it. i got sick of having them ripped off me every night anyways. it just proves that its all mind over matter anyways, stick with it. its worth it.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Okay, so here it is!

Today is my LAST day of smoking!

I am commiting to giving up the cancer sticks, starting tomorrow!

Im no good at lying, even on a computer screen, so you have my word :)

AWESOME!!!

Well done and we will be here! I am soooooo excited! :D

See made my day! I will now post that!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    yellowled24 sooo glad you decided to join the thread and will be wishing you the best especially for getting through this first day.

I'm also so sorry about your aunt and send you {{{hugs}}}
  • Options
    Chime wrote:
    yellowled24 sooo glad you decided to join the thread and will be wishing you the best especially for getting through this first day.

I'm also so sorry about your aunt and send you {{{hugs}}}
    Thank you so much :) The thought of my Aunt is really the one thing thats keeping me focused.

Its dinner time here so almost at the end of the day...am kinda excited about pushing myself and quitting. I feel alot better knowing ive got peeps on here to keep me going :)
  • Options
    Update from my end. The fiance and I are doing fine. I was at a card game last night with a ton of smoke and now my sinuses are killing me. I guess that's what happens.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    Update from my end. The fiance and I are doing fine. I was at a card game last night with a ton of smoke and now my sinuses are killing me. I guess that's what happens.
    Well done mate!!! So stoked for you :):)
    (not due to the fact that you've got blocked sinuses, but coz you didnt cave :D )