Options

((( The Stop Smoking Cigarettes Thread)))

Comments

• Options
    DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Left Porch wrote:
    Werid twist of fate, I almost never check out this section of the message boards but it just so happens I did tonight and it also just happens that I went on the patch today and am hoping to sucsessfully quit smoking. Any suggestions? And will I have the vivid dreams many friends have told me about while on the patch? I sure as fuck hope so.:)

Good stuff. Another on the band wagon. Flick thru this thread and you'll see some determined individuals with good attitudes.

Best of luck to you also........your body deserves it
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    Left Porch wrote:
    Werid twist of fate, I almost never check out this section of the message boards but it just so happens I did tonight and it also just happens that I went on the patch today and am hoping to sucsessfully quit smoking. Any suggestions? And will I have the vivid dreams many friends have told me about while on the patch? I sure as fuck hope so.:)

I am sooo happy we have another person. first off congrats on you making a decision for yourself! This has been a tough ride but we are commited to be here as long as we can.

The dreams on the patch are strong at the beginning and start to drop off as you get used to the patch. I have had a couple of doozies :D.

What has helped me is of course the patch, gum and staying away from sugar. Read back to my day one where I almost had a nervous breakdown.

However the most important thing to me has been posting on this thread and the amazing support of people from all over the world. For me I got a lot of pressure at home and not really having anyone to talk to about it because I was going through it by myself. This allows me to vent and my wife is not asking me because she knows I am getting through it with everyone's help.

Feel free to write anything here from good to bad news. No one is going to judge you. Just offer guidance and applause for successes and support if you fall off the wagon.

PM me at any time if you feel like it. I will add you to the list of tryers. That is all this is a try at getting rid of something that will kill you.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    I'll have to admit, I fell off about a week and a half ago. I have dusted myself off and got back on the horse and it's been just over a week. My fiance is also stopping and she's been clean for just over a week as well.

The only trouble I have is when I'm drinking heavily, although I did on Sunday and I didn't have one so it is getting better.
  • Options
    I'll have to admit, I fell off about a week and a half ago. I have dusted myself off and got back on the horse and it's been just over a week. My fiance is also stopping and she's been clean for just over a week as well.

The only trouble I have is when I'm drinking heavily, although I did on Sunday and I didn't have one so it is getting better.

That is so awesome! I am glad you came back and your finance decided to join you! It was getting lonely on here for Hartamh and me. Please feel free to keep us updated and I hope you are finding it easier. This is still very hard and think about it day to day.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Left Porch wrote:

That is effin BEAUTIFUL!!! I am not a smoker but i am DEFINITELY a cheerleader for you guys here!!! Its great that this thread is here to help AND inspire others and be everyones support group. On behalf of everyone up in here, WELCOME to TEAM EXXXTEND YOUR LIFE!!! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    That is effin BEAUTIFUL!!! I am not a smoker but i am DEFINITELY a cheerleader for you guys here!!! Its great that this thread is here to help AND inspire others and be everyones support group. On behalf of everyone up in here, WELCOME to TEAM EXXXTEND YOUR LIFE!!! :D

You rock the house, dude(tte)! And you are keeping me going! Good morning BTW and sorry for the short time online last night.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    That is so awesome! I am glad you came back and your finance decided to join you! It was getting lonely on here for Hartamh and me. Please feel free to keep us updated and I hope you are finding it easier. This is still very hard and think about it day to day.

It's more or less easy for me except for certain moments. I'd say 98-99% of my day is spent crave free, it's just those little moment that are tough. My fiance is a trooper. She smoked almost a pack a day for so long and is doing better and better each day.
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    See it's getting busy in here :D

Welcome Left Porch and welcome back Stone Is God ... like Sen I'm not a smoker but part of the cheering squad ... although we don't really have cheerleaders over here :p

Hope today is a GOOD day for all of you :)

...and BD how old are the boys? ... at least with Metallica James is less likely do be dropping lots of f-bombs than young masters Vedder and Grohl :D
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    You rock the house, dude(tte)! And you are keeping me going!
    Thank you! :cool: jk YOU rock tha hizzouse by your staying strong. Im incredibly proud BLACK D!!! YOu are an inspiration. Hadd it not been for mac n cheese and Kid Rock....we may never have become frenz! :D
    GO TEAM EXXXTEND YOUR LIFE!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

• Options
    Chime wrote:

Welcome Left Porch and welcome back Stone Is God ... like Sen I'm not a smoker but part of the cheering squad ... although we don't really have cheerleaders over here :p

...and BD how old are the boys? ... at least with Metallica James is less likely do be dropping lots of f-bombs than young masters Vedder and Grohl :D
    Oh man i LOVE that you were at that Metallica show!!!! Im seeing them in december and i cant WAIT! On topic.......

Lets continue cheering these people on for as long as they need it!!!! :D

• Options
    SENROCK! wrote:
    Oh man i LOVE that you were at that Metallica show!!!! Im seeing them in december and i cant WAIT! On topic.......

Lets continue cheering these people on for as long as they need it!!!! :D

Awesome that you are going ... you and BD should catch a show together ... road trip :D ... don't think the tour will hit Europe 'til next year.

A photographer I see at a lot of rock shows in London was there and I love his website and he keeps a diary that is quite amusing ... but anyway he's been following Metallica for a few weeks so loads of photos ... http://www.rosshalfin.co.uk/metallica/metallica56.php (and yes that does mean he has 56 pages of 'tallica photos ... some pretty early ones too) ... also has a few nice PJ photos.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    ugh, I quit pretty much every week, then smoke on the weekends..
    I've been smoking hand rolled with no chemicals so I'm not addicted... and my throat is fucking killing me today...
    I think I'm finally done with tobacco...
  • Options
    Chime wrote:

Welcome Left Porch and welcome back Stone Is God ... like Sen I'm not a smoker but part of the cheering squad ... although we don't really have cheerleaders over here

8 and 5. Got a 3 year old girl too. i don't know if you caught my earlier rants on other threads but they were into the Jonas Brothers for a while. Well the 5 year old really got into me getting the boots from the 08 tour and now loves a couple of tunes especially Brain of J. But he has been making me burn CD's for the car. We have been sampling a lot. He loves Guns and Roses and he really likes Enter Sandman. The 8 year old is getting into it too. However they both LOVE AC/DC. I am hoping they tour later this year or 09 so they can go.

BTW, we can certainly get cheerleader outfits out to y'all if you want :) as long as Don Jon wears his too :D.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:
    I've been smoking hand rolled with no chemicals so I'm not addicted... and my throat is fucking killing me today...
    YOU are one of the few people I cant picture not smoking! Its trademark! But because you are my pal and i care about you......i do hope you stop ZOMEDAY. When u do, i got your back!!! You KNOW thiz. :D

• Options
    I am sooo happy we have another person. first off congrats on you making a decision for yourself! This has been a tough ride but we are commited to be here as long as we can.

The dreams on the patch are strong at the beginning and start to drop off as you get used to the patch. I have had a couple of doozies :D.

What has helped me is of course the patch, gum and staying away from sugar. Read back to my day one where I almost had a nervous breakdown.

However the most important thing to me has been posting on this thread and the amazing support of people from all over the world. For me I got a lot of pressure at home and not really having anyone to talk to about it because I was going through it by myself. This allows me to vent and my wife is not asking me because she knows I am getting through it with everyone's help.

Feel free to write anything here from good to bad news. No one is going to judge you. Just offer guidance and applause for successes and support if you fall off the wagon.

PM me at any time if you feel like it. I will add you to the list of tryers. That is all this is a try at getting rid of something that will kill you.

Thanks man really appreciate it. The first day, yesterday, was tough. Lots of urges and most definitly a lot of mood swings. The main things I'm trying to stay away from are caffeine (mainly coffee) and alcohol (for the first week or at least until Giants football on Sunday.) I'm going to try and eat healthy and making it to the gym everyday is a must. I quit for 2 months back in February-March and working out everyday made it a litle bit easier. This is my first time on the patch, I've tried the gum many, many times in the past and found it no help but the patch is ok thus far. Anyway thanks for the support everyone much appreciated.
    Uniondale. 2003
    MSG 1+2. 2010
    Wrigley. Brooklyn 2. Hartford. 2013
    St. Louis. Denver. 2014
    Global Citizens Festival. 2015
    MSG 2. Fenway 2. Wrigley 1. 2016
    Safeco 2. Missoula. 2018
  • Options
    pjtaper wrote:

Awesome! Join in. Smoking in the thin air of the rockies must be twice as hard. Was up at Beaver Creek last winter and I thought my lungs were going to burst. Makes skiing a tad difficult. Please keep in tuoch and let us know what is going on. I am around on weekends if you want to vent.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    . However they both LOVE AC/DC. I am hoping they tour later this year or 09 so they can go.

It looks like there may be something for you to spend that money you've been saving on ... tickets go on sale this weekend apparently ;)https://tickets.acdc.com/
  • Options
    DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    Chime wrote:

Can I join the cheer squad? Be happy to put on a skirt and some pom poms for this noble cause. Might even try to look up my own skirt :D

Over 2 weeks TEYL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good to see some other join and those that have faltered have resumed their missions.
  • Options
    Chime wrote:
    It looks like there may be something for you to spend that money you've been saving on ... tickets go on sale this weekend apparently ;)https://tickets.acdc.com/
    Ahhhhhhh!!!! You are the greatest human being on the PLANET!!! I would have totally missed it! I saw them on a tour in the late 90's and it might have been one of my favorite shows! Angus sweated on me and I was sitting right next to Dee Snyder!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    DonJon wrote:
    Can I join the cheer squad? Be happy to put on a skirt and some pom poms for this noble cause. Might even try to look up my own skirt : D

Good to see some other join and those that have faltered have resumed their missions.

Course you can join ... you just want an excuse to wear the outfit don't ya :confused:

"My friends on the internet said I have to wear it to support TEYL" as he runs down the street waving his pompoms ;):p ... I'm sure your mates will buy this excuse as you're propping up the bar :rolleyes:
    Ahhhhhhh!!!! You are the greatest human being on the PLANET!!! I would have totally missed it! I saw them on a tour in the late 90's and it might have been one of my favorite shows! Angus sweated on me and I was sitting right next to Dee Snyder!

I'd like to claim the credit but I saw a thread in Other Music yesterday about it and just thought what a great coincidence it was that you'd mentioned wanting to take your boys on the same day. Hope you get to go. Think without this thread I wouldn't have known about that so an extra bonus for giving up smoking ... you taking your boys to their first concert! We'll need pics of them rockin' out :D

EDIT:
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEAM!!!
  • Options
    DonJon wrote:
    Can I join the cheer squad? Be happy to put on a skirt and some pom poms for this noble cause. Might even try to look up my own skirt :D

OK If I can get to a year I will send all of you a pix of me in a Cheerleader outfit (I can't believe I am saying this). I am sure you will not forget.

Thanks DJ for all your great posts! It will never be forgotten.

Day 17 (wow) has started off as well as expected. Major accident on the highway has had me sitting in traffic for over 1.5 hours already. Getting in late with the mess going on in the world is probably a good thing but a little stressful. But am not even thinking about smoking.

Question for everyone. The past couple of days I have been gettng nose bleeds. Pretty bad ones too. I am wondering without all the awful chemicals flowing through my body if my blood is flowing faster and therefore causing a bleeder where there were none before.

I hope everyone is finding each day easier and would love to hear from everyone old and new tryers to see their thoughts. Of course I always want to hear from the support staff. You guys did not have to do what you are doing. You did though and I am eternally grateful. If I could have more kids I would name one for each one of you.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Chime wrote:
    Course you can join ... you just want an excuse to wear the outfit don't ya :confused:

"My friends on the internet said I have to wear it to support TEYL" as he runs down the street waving his pompoms ;):p ... I'm sure your mates will buy this excuse as you're propping up the bar :rolleyes:

I'd like to claim the credit but I saw a thread in Other Music yesterday about it and just thought what a great coincidence it was that you'd mentioned wanting to take your boys on the same day. Hope you get to go. Think without this thread I wouldn't have known about that so an extra bonus for giving up smoking ... you taking your boys to their first concert! We'll need pics of them rockin' out :D

EDIT:
    GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEAM!!!
    Pix will definately be shared!!
    Well I am now reaping the benefits of the thread in ways I did not imagine. Thanks so much again. You are saving my children from the hell which is the Disney Channel. It is ironic that one of my close friends from college is in charge of programming at Disney. I blame him.

Thanks for the cheer!
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    hartamh wrote:
    I'm not sure if I read the past few post right, but is BD going to be in a cheer leading outfit, and there will be pictures of this. This gives me and all of us another good reason to quit for good :)

Hey BD, why don't you give everyone a sample of the goods :p;)

Oh no no! If you all keep me off the death stick for another 347 days, I will give you the thrill (And laugh) of a lifetime! :D

There is not enough for a sample :D
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    OK If I can get to a year I will send all of you a pix of me in a Cheerleader outfit (I can't believe I am saying this). I am sure you will not forget.

Day 17 (wow) has started off as well as expected. Major accident on the highway has had me sitting in traffic for over 1.5 hours already. Getting in late with the mess going on in the world is probably a good thing but a little stressful. But am not even thinking about smoking.

Question for everyone. The past couple of days I have been gettng nose bleeds. Pretty bad ones too. I am wondering without all the awful chemicals flowing through my body if my blood is flowing faster and therefore causing a bleeder where there were none before.

I hope everyone is finding each day easier and would love to hear from everyone old and new tryers to see their thoughts. Of course I always want to hear from the support staff. You guys did not have to do what you are doing. You did though and I am eternally grateful. If I could have more kids I would name one for each one of you.

not IF....just WHEN. you CAN do it, ALL of you!
    glad to see this thread, and all you quitters...still going strong!
    i will be celebrating my 5th anniversary smoke-free december 1st....woooohooooooooooooooo! it is a GREAT feeling!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    hartamh wrote:
    I for one can't wait :D:D:D

Well then you better stay the course with me because I can't do it without you :D
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options

My fiance got a nosebleed the other day so there might be a little to that. We've been doing great. I had about a half a dozen beers last night and had no desire to smoke.
  • Options
    As my lungs are being saved so is Wall Street. I just beat them by 18 days. :)

Things are going great. Walked up to the office from the Port Authority with a guy who smokes. He was like you can't stop! I think I pissed him off but he only had one smoke when we usually have 3. So he is benefitting too!

Hope everyone is doin great. Love to hear what is going on. I will be around this weekend and will check in.
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    As my lungs are being saved so is Wall Street. I just beat them by 18 days. :)

Things are going great. Walked up to the office from the Port Authority with a guy who smokes. He was like you can't stop! I think I pissed him off but he only had one smoke when we usually have 3. So he is benefitting too!

Hope everyone is doin great. Love to hear what is going on. I will be around this weekend and will check in.

dude. 18 DAYS!!!!!!! WOW. That is SUMTHIN!!!! Be proud of yourself. All of you! GO TEAM EXXXTEND YOUR LIFE!!!!!

• Options
    hartamh wrote:
    BD that is fantastic!!!!! Love to hear good news :) . I am just so happy for you right now :) . WOW!!!! Happy (((((18 days)))))

YUP! BD doing great... I couldnt handle it and started smoking... Ive had way way way way way way way tooooooooooo STRESSED!!!! Breathe...Breathe... good breath in bad braeth out... OMG am I having a baby?
  • Options
    dawngdawng Posts: 644
    Great job everybody :) good to see new people joining in too! Nice job on 18 days! Whatcha going to do with your $180? :)

But I'm not getting into any cheerleaders outfit - sorry ;)
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!