What was the last movie you watched?

Comments

• polaris_x wrote:
    That makes sense duska! I didnt see too many of the earliest Star Trek TV episodes, but I get the feeling that women were portrayed the same back then too. I can see why that would bother you..They shouldve made Uhura a badass and able to handle herself.

not that i disagree with duska's issues but uhura is a communications expert ... her role is in linguistics and translating ... she's going up against a klingon security force ... i don't see any reasonable expectation that she could deliver any sort of ass kicking there ...

I guess...I dont know what the answer is... Are there chick flicks with no men in them? Probably...Maybe Star trek is just supposed to be all men. If its the future, surely the women are all off doing something productive instead of fighting. :lol:
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    I guess...I dont know what the answer is... Are there chick flicks with no men in them? Probably...Maybe Star trek is just supposed to be all men. If its the future, surely the women are all off doing something productive instead of fighting. :lol:

well ... it's tough if you're expecting a hollywood action movie based on a 60's tv show to represent gender roles in the 21st century ...

the crew/cast is essentially established ... if anything they give uhura a way bigger role in these films than she got in the tv series ...
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    The Caretaker
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    polaris_x wrote:

well ... it's tough if you're expecting a hollywood action movie based on a 60's tv show to represent gender roles in the 21st century ...

the crew/cast is essentially established ... if anything they give uhura a way bigger role in these films than she got in the tv series ...

Sorry I get ranty when I post without being adequately caffeinated. One of the points I was trying to make is that since the characters were already established I know it's complicated to modernize them while maintaining the same core character. I wasn't expecting Uhura to go all ninja at any point, though tbh I had forgotten she was a communications officer. What rubbed me the wrong way about the character portrayal was those characters are from the 1960s and it's 100% totally acceptable for them to be portrayed in exactly the same way. Given that in their contemporary era those characters were considered progressive - a female communications officer when Harvard still had what female students it accepted segregated into a separate school. All I'm saying is it felt a little icky. It's like what was mentioned earlier about that meeting with all the important people from the starfleet in that one room, and it was just a bunch of white dudes. Was that part of the original series too? Cuz I seem to remember a Captain Janeway existing, and also more than just white people. I guess I was just disappointed that the film didn't try to push any envelopes when I know for a fact the TV show used to do that a lot. Also I really hated the way the Doctor dude acted.

I haven't seen anything new to maintain thread integrity. Sorry guys I wasn't even meaning to examine Star Trek from a feminist perspective I just wanted to express my disappointment with it. Turns out thats just what disappointed me about it :lol::lol::lol: sorry!
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • pacific rim
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    duska3419 wrote:
    Sorry I get ranty when I post without being adequately caffeinated. One of the points I was trying to make is that since the characters were already established I know it's complicated to modernize them while maintaining the same core character. I wasn't expecting Uhura to go all ninja at any point, though tbh I had forgotten she was a communications officer. What rubbed me the wrong way about the character portrayal was those characters are from the 1960s and it's 100% totally acceptable for them to be portrayed in exactly the same way. Given that in their contemporary era those characters were considered progressive - a female communications officer when Harvard still had what female students it accepted segregated into a separate school. All I'm saying is it felt a little icky. It's like what was mentioned earlier about that meeting with all the important people from the starfleet in that one room, and it was just a bunch of white dudes. Was that part of the original series too? Cuz I seem to remember a Captain Janeway existing, and also more than just white people. I guess I was just disappointed that the film didn't try to push any envelopes when I know for a fact the TV show used to do that a lot. Also I really hated the way the Doctor dude acted.

I haven't seen anything new to maintain thread integrity. Sorry guys I wasn't even meaning to examine Star Trek from a feminist perspective I just wanted to express my disappointment with it. Turns out thats just what disappointed me about it :lol::lol::lol: sorry!

just to be clear ... i actually prefaced my original reply with the fact i don't actually disagree with you ... only just in terms of reasonable expectations ... as for your point on the meeting - is it not a reflection of reality now? ... bunch of old white dudes pretty much make up the majority of boardrooms and political office ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    just to be clear ... i actually prefaced my original reply with the fact i don't actually disagree with you ... only just in terms of reasonable expectations ... as for your point on the meeting - is it not a reflection of reality now? ... bunch of old white dudes pretty much make up the majority of boardrooms and political office ...

1. I know I saw. I apologized for hijacking the thread. & I'm not arguing, I hope it doesn't come off that way.
    2. It is, and that contributes to my disappointment. It's the same point as I made before, when the show came out it was progressive for having not just white men on the bridge, even though it did of course carry some stereotypes of the era. Now with the new film they have lost that spirit, and instead of trying to follow in the original creators footsteps and cast roles looking forward, (meaning thinking about what a boardroom might look like in the future) they are content to maintain the current image or status quo. So right now, if the DoD were to have a meeting of all the super duper important naval warship controlling guys and their first officers, there would be a bunch of old white men at that table, with maybe an odd bit of pigment at one or two seats...much like in the movie. And we're totally cool with it being 100% the same in the future when them ships fly in outer space? So before we even landed on the moon when racial segregation and the Civil Rights Act were current events here comes this TV show about flying around in outer space to new planets and meeting aliens and stuff, and the ship is staffed by a bunch of white people, but there's women! and an asian dude! and a black lady!?!?! Think about how out of the ordinary that must have been. And this new movie isn't continuing that legacy. I know that the main roles already existed but damn. We couldn't have had a single Indian transgender person at that table? Or something? I don't want a reflection of reality I want the future!
    Also, coffee. I want coffee.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Prisoners. Good, but it could have had about an hour cut off the time. 2.5 hours was too long for that movie.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Men at Work was on the other day. What a pleasant surprise.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    JK_Livin wrote:
    golf-clap.gif
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    dankind wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    golf-clap.gif
    haha. I didn't get to watch all of it. I love when Emelio try to take the guys fries.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    JK_Livin wrote:
    dankind wrote:
    JK_Livin wrote:
    golf-clap.gif
    haha. I didn't get to watch all of it. I love when Emelio try to take the guys fries.
    men_at_work_film_another_mans_fries.jpg?v=1
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    The Exorcist
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    The Dark Knight Rises

Ugh. I think it was mostly awful. Terrible, uninteresting villain. Boring, disorganized story line for the most part. Not that well edited. A fair bit of bad acting. And I don't like Christian Bale as batman at all - he is such an unlikeable Bruce Wayne. IMO. The Dark Knight was saved by a good story and a great villain, but this follow up blows. Although the opening scene and the parts.in the football stadium are morbidly interesting I guess..... I still barely made it through. Almost turned it off several times but hoped that something really good would happen... nothing did, really.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,891
    The Cabin in the Woods
    :lol: What a weird and hilarious movie. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Much Ado About Nothing (the one Joss Whedon did recently)

f-kin awesome, highly recommend. Also, I learned what a Mumford & Sons song was about. (Spoiler Alert: It had lines from the play.)
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    Rush
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,788
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    The Dark Knight Rises

Ugh. I think it was mostly awful. Terrible, uninteresting villain. Boring, disorganized story line for the most part. Not that well edited. A fair bit of bad acting. And I don't like Christian Bale as batman at all - he is such an unlikeable Bruce Wayne. IMO. The Dark Knight was saved by a good story and a great villain, but this follow up blows. Although the opening scene and the parts.in the football stadium are morbidly interesting I guess..... I still barely made it through. Almost turned it off several times but hoped that something really good would happen... nothing did, really.

Christian Bale is a bad-ass batman

Keaton was great
    Kilmer wasn't bad IMO, movie blew
    George Clooney didn't work at all, wasn't just the shitty shitty movie...he looked funny as batman

Affleck I can't see him being good, all I can hope is it's such a good move that he doesn't sink it completely. He's a doofus

I've heard a lot of people say they don't approve Bale's Batman voice, but most I've run into really really like him as Wayne. To each their own

TDKR is prob the worst of the 3..... But I still find it pretty good. It was gonna be impossible to reach the heights of The Dark Knight.

I'm going to see Gravity tomorrow in IMAX 3-d 8-)
    Fright Night 2
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    step brothers
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,793
    Fantastic Mr. Fox :thumbup:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Rush..

thats was great
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • LongueuilLongueuil Posts: 2,224
    Fantastic Mr. Fox :thumbup:

Such a cool movie!

Last movie was Robin Hood with Russell Crowe and the guy from Great Big Sea.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    The Hunting Party. So-so.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,788
    Gravity

Go see it
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox :thumbup:
    I watched this today.
    It's a cussing good flick!
  • shortstackshortstack Posts: 2,339
    Hanna
    did you see me? i saw you.