Options

How to Trick a Christian

Comments

• Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    genie wrote:
    you missing one big point = as Atheists we don't have to be open minded, it's not written anywhere that we should be open minded, our actions are purely ours. if i choose to do good, i do good things because i want to, and not because i was told to do so.
    All humans are fully capable (well most anyway) of feeling guilt regardless of religion.
  • Options
    Because at lot of vocal Christians act like their shit doesn't stink and try to push their beliefs down everyone's throat by getting legislation passed and telling everyone how to live.
    And a lot of them don't.

That's the extreme to ANY group... religious or not.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    OK, fair enough. Good on your friend :) Well then my earlier point stands. Not even Jesus helped everyone he met.. and yet the second a Christian doesn't stop and help someone, it's assumed that they're told they have to or they'll go to hell.

but isn't that what bible says to you guys/girls?

every sunday morning preacher tells Christians on how to live their life, and don't try to disapprove of these i've been to a Catholic church, so i know. and yes it does say you will go to hell
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    genie wrote:
    why should we prove non existence of god? would you start proving non existence of santa claus? and if so, how?

why so defensive?
    you don't have to prove anything. (you can't in any case)
    bottom line is your convictions may turne out to be flawed.
    it's a senseless dispute.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    i do, and i'm only charitable when i know person is in great need. if it's a homeless person usually i don't give them money.

edit: i have to add that country i live in has a good benefit system and few shelters here and there....that's why i think homeless people aren't in such a need
    :eek: Genie :( the benefits in England are really bad and shelters don't always have room... you have to be pretty lucky if you're down on your luck and somehow manage to get into the system... do you really think people WANT to be homeless? :(
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    why should we prove non existence of god? would you start proving non existence of santa claus? and if so, how?
    write santa a letter telling him what you want for christmas and if he's real he should bring you what you want.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    but isn't that what bible says to you guys/girls?

every sunday morning preacher tells Christians on how to live their life, and don't try to disapprove of these i've been to a Catholic church, so i know. and yes it does say you will go to hell
    yes a good christian should be willing to help anyone needing it... not everyone's a good one though.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    All humans are fully capable (well most anyway) of feeling guilt regardless of religion.

i'm not disputing of human capabilities. why bring feelings of guilt in here anyway? i wasn't talking about!

i was saying if i choose to help someone ( and no, not because somehow i would feel guilty for not helping them ) i would do so simply because i want to make the other person happy......not because it say so in the bible

why did that Christian gave his money to the homeless guy? because he was ashamed and he wasn't following the bible....and that's why he went and gave his money afterwards.
  • Options
    glasshouse wrote:
    why so defensive?
    you don't have to prove anything. (you can't in any case)
    bottom line is your convictions may turne out to be flawed.
    it's a senseless dispute.

i didn't think i was being defensive. i was just giving a food for thought. you said we are inept to prove, and i said how can it be possibly proven. that's all.
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    i'm not disputing of human capabilities. why bring feelings of guilt in here anyway? i wasn't talking about!

i was saying if i choose to help someone ( and no, not because somehow i would feel guilty for not helping them ) i would do so simply because i want to make the other person happy......not because it say so in the bible

why did that Christian gave his money to the homeless guy? because he was ashamed and he wasn't following the bible....and that's why he went and gave his money afterwards.
    No, I'd say he was made to feel guilty by the OP. That's why I brought feelings of guilt in here.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    write santa a letter telling him what you want for christmas and if he's real he should bring you what you want.

Or someone could just say "pray to your god" if he doesn't answer than they could say that God doesn't exist.

It's the argument that will never end and none of us will be 100% positive until we are dead.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Or someone could just say "pray to your god" if he doesn't answer than they could say that God doesn't exist.

It's the argument that will never end and none of us will be 100% positive until we are dead.
    that's true... and that's how I KNOW there IS a god :) . Who or what that god is though, I don't think anyone knows so after that is why it's called 'faith'... he didn't answer my prayers with 'here ya go helen and next time you step foot in a mosque you're going straight to hell cos I'm the CATHOLIC God'
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    :eek: Genie :( the benefits in England are really bad and shelters don't always have room... you have to be pretty lucky if you're down on your luck and somehow manage to get into the system... do you really think people WANT to be homeless? :(

if they are young and healthy they will be able to help themselves in the end, sure there'll be some period of time when that person hasn't got anything, but surely this person can find a cleaning job and once working as a cleaner rent themselves a room. or being a squatter for god's sakes.

i've lived on benefits, and they were enough for me, i don't know what everyone is complaining about. however i've never been without a home, so i won't pass any comment on that, i will only say that for some unexplained reason government finds it difficult to find a home for a homeless person, whilst there are lots of unused houses available. and i know i've seen a huge fucking row of those houses in my area.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    that's true... and that's how I KNOW there IS a god :) . Who or what that god is though, I don't think anyone knows so after that is why it's called 'faith'... he didn't answer my prayers with 'here ya go helen and next time you step foot in a mosque you're going straight to hell cos I'm the CATHOLIC God'

Just like kids have "faith" in Santa Claus :D
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    No, I'd say he was made to feel guilty by the OP. That's why I brought feelings of guilt in here.

somehow i'm a bit cynical
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    somehow i'm a bit cynical
    I'm very cynical myself, but moreso of the entire human race in general.
  • Options
    yes a good christian should be willing to help anyone needing it... not everyone's a good one though.

and this is where i'm going to quote AllNiteThing again
    Because at lot of vocal Christians act like their shit doesn't stink and try to push their beliefs down everyone's throat by getting legislation passed and telling everyone how to live.
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    if they are young and healthy they will be able to help themselves in the end, sure there'll be some period of time when that person hasn't got anything, but surely this person can find a cleaning job and once working as a cleaner rent themselves a room. or being a squatter for god's sakes.

i've lived on benefits, and they were enough for me, i don't know what everyone is complaining about. however i've never been without a home, so i won't pass any comment on that, i will only say that for some unexplained reason government finds it difficult to find a home for a homeless person, whilst there are lots of unused houses available. and i know i've seen a huge fucking row of those houses in my area.
    well I'd like to believe that if I somehow got kicked out of my house, I'd have somebody to help me out... and yes I would. Some people don't have anybody to help them out though... and when you're in that situation, you're gonna need somebody to help them out. And try renting a room in dublin on a cleaners wage :eek: . If you go for a job interview... with no address, phone number or contact details, why would anyone take ya on?
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    I thought this thread would be funny, but it turned out to be depressing and full of bullshit..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    and this is where i'm going to quote AllNiteThing again
    why?

I believe we've established that extremists in ANY group aren't a whole lot of fun to be around. Not just Christians. I get more mormons and jehovahs witnesses knocking on my door than I do christians... actually not sure I've EVER had a christian knock on my door 'selling' christianity. Try getting rid of the mormons :eek:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    I thought this thread would be funny,
    :confused: FOOL! :p
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    :confused: FOOL! :p

I was expecting a joke, but no..ya'll are a bunch of fucking kill joys as usual..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    StellyStelly Posts: 170
    genie wrote:
    you missing one big point = as Atheists we don't have to be open minded, it's not written anywhere that we should be open minded, our actions are purely ours. if i choose to do good, i do good things because i want to, and not because i was told to do so.

Atheists don't have to be open mined, but earlier in the thread someone was claiming that atheists are so open mined, and then in the same breath was lumping all Christians in the same bucket of craziness. That's pretty hypocritical.

Don't you think there are Christians who do good things because they want to, not because they are told to? Saying that an entire religion only does good things because they are told to is pretty rediculous. I would argue that most Christians go good things because they want to, regardless of guilt or religion.
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Options
    well I'd like to believe that if I somehow got kicked out of my house, I'd have somebody to help me out... and yes I would. Some people don't have anybody to help them out though... and when you're in that situation, you're gonna need somebody to help them out. And try renting a room in dublin on a cleaners wage :eek: . If you go for a job interview... with no address, phone number or contact details, why would anyone take ya on?

my answer will be to: lie. lie about address, as for contact number even homeless person can manage to have a phone number.

if one shift job of a cleaner doesn't pay enough money, then take two jobs.

i'm not saying i won't help someone out, and i'm not saying i don't help people in general, i do. but in certain issues i don't.
  • Options
    why?

I believe we've established that extremists in ANY group aren't a whole lot of fun to be around. Not just Christians. I get more mormons and jehovahs witnesses knocking on my door than I do christians... actually not sure I've EVER had a christian knock on my door 'selling' christianity. Try getting rid of the mormons :eek:

true, but i should've cut majority of his/her statement and should've left only this "they act like their shit don't stink"
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    I was expecting a joke, but no..ya'll are a bunch of fucking kill joys as usual..
    well tell a fuckin joke then :p

It's your turn!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    Stelly wrote:

Don't you think there are Christians who do good things because they want to, not because they are told to?

i think there are some, and it's my opinion
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    true, but i should've cut majority of his/her statement and should've left only this "they act like their shit don't stink"
    Again, that is hardly limited or specific to Christians.
  • Options
    well tell a fuckin joke then :p

It's your turn!

i agree :) on this one
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    my answer will be to: lie. lie about address, as for contact number even homeless person can manage to have a phone number.

if one shift job of a cleaner doesn't pay enough money, then take two jobs.

i'm not saying i won't help someone out, and i'm not saying i don't help people in general, i do. but in certain issues i don't.
    It really does sound so nice and simple doesn't it... that if you want something bad enough you'll get it... have you never hit an emotional bottom though? Which could well happen if you find yourself on the street! It's gonna be pretty hard to motivate yourself :(
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life