Options

How to Trick a Christian

Comments

• Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    i advocate making fun of all religions. minorities are just more sensitive and can sue you if you get the wrong person. it's the plight of the WASP.

As a Christian, I was dissapointed in this thread. I thought he was going to say something like, "Throw a bucket of locusts in his house and start running around screaming about 'The end!'" That would have been a good trick to play.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    StellyStelly Posts: 170
    Isn't an Atheist lumping all Christians into one big bucket just as judgemental?

What a hypocrite..."look at me, I'm an Atheist, and I'm so open minded. But those Chrisitians....wow, what a bunch of holier than thou, closed minded freaks!!"
    8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Options
    drivingrl wrote:
    So true. This is how you trick all Christians. Because all Christians are mindless like that, and every one of them judge everyone else.

Non-Christians, on the other hand, they never judge someone like that and are always open and chartible to everyone.

I honestly hope you're joking.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    I just think it's ironic that these incidents happen. It's like watching a professed vegetarian place bacon bits on their salad then they proclaim the bits aren't real bacon but a soy product and i ask how they know that is the case because we are eating at Bonanza and there is no label for the bacon bits that says they are artificial.

...that's all

I judge therefore I am.
    the Minions
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Stelly wrote:
    Isn't an Atheist lumping all Christians into one big bucket just as judgemental?

What a hypocrite..."look at me, I'm an Atheist, and I'm so open minded. But those Chrisitians....wow, what a bunch of holier than thou, closed minded freaks!!"

atheists don't claim that only god/jesus can pass judgment.
  • Options
    romybianromybian Posts: 1,644
    “ Religion has certain ideas at the heart of it which we call sacred or holy or whatever. What it means is ‘Here is an idea or notion that you are not allowed to say anything bad about; you’re just not. Why not? — because you’re not.’ If somebody votes for a party you don’t agree with, you’re free to argue about it as much as you like; everybody will have an argument, but nobody feels agrieved by it. If somebody thinks taxes should go up or or down, you are free to have an argument about it. But on the other hand, if somebody says ‘I mustn’t move a light switch on Saturday’ you say, ‘I respect that.’
    Why should it be that it’s perfectly legitimate to support the Labour party or the Conservative party, Republicans or Democrats, this model of economics versus that, MacIntosh instead of Windows — but to have an opinion about how the Universe began, about who created the Universe… no, that’s holy?… We are used to not challenging religious ideas but it’s very interesting how much a furor Richard [Dawkins] creates when he does it! Everybody gets absolutely frantic about it because you are not allowed to say these things. Yet when you look at it rationally there is not reason why those ideas shouldn’t be as open to debate as any other, except that we have agreed somehow between us that they shouldn’t be. ”
    ~ Douglas Adams, author of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Last Chance to See.
    "The joke in your language won't come out the same" (Tom Petty)
    I'm no dude! Dudette!
  • Options
    This thread fails to recognise that some Christians are not closed-minded bigots.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    romybianromybian Posts: 1,644
    This thread fails to recognise that some Christians are not closed-minded bigots.
    I'd even go as far as using "many" instead of "some".
    "The joke in your language won't come out the same" (Tom Petty)
    I'm no dude! Dudette!
  • Options
    romybian wrote:
    I'd even go as far as using "many" instead of "some".

Yep. For the purposes of this thread I think you could quite easily replace 'Christian' with 'Conservative Evangelical.'

• Options
    drivingrl wrote:
    So true. This is how you trick all Christians. Because all Christians are mindless like that, and every one of them judge everyone else.

Non-Christians, on the other hand, they never judge someone like that and are always open and chartible to everyone.
    your a dope
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,593
    We need a "how to trick an atheist" thread. haha

You don't need to trick them, they are already tricking themselves.
  • Options
    itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    got the title of this thread mixed with the one below (smoked salmon)....thought it read, "how to smoke a christian" :eek::o haha
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Options
    Slip KidSlip Kid Posts: 1,175
    i advocate making fun of all religions. minorities are just more sensitive and can sue you if you get the wrong person. it's the plight of the WASP.

Now I will agree with you on the minorities. They got all up in arms if one joke is made, one stereotype is made, even an comment about anything remotely offensive or can be deemed offensive. They are all too happy to point out what's wrong with one rather than themselves
    I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die.
  • Options
    romybian wrote:
    “ Religion has certain ideas at the heart of it which we call sacred or holy or whatever. What it means is ‘Here is an idea or notion that you are not allowed to say anything bad about; you’re just not. Why not? — because you’re not.’ If somebody votes for a party you don’t agree with, you’re free to argue about it as much as you like; everybody will have an argument, but nobody feels agrieved by it. If somebody thinks taxes should go up or or down, you are free to have an argument about it. But on the other hand, if somebody says ‘I mustn’t move a light switch on Saturday’ you say, ‘I respect that.’
    Why should it be that it’s perfectly legitimate to support the Labour party or the Conservative party, Republicans or Democrats, this model of economics versus that, MacIntosh instead of Windows — but to have an opinion about how the Universe began, about who created the Universe… no, that’s holy?… We are used to not challenging religious ideas but it’s very interesting how much a furor Richard [Dawkins] creates when he does it! Everybody gets absolutely frantic about it because you are not allowed to say these things. Yet when you look at it rationally there is not reason why those ideas shouldn’t be as open to debate as any other, except that we have agreed somehow between us that they shouldn’t be. ”
    ~ Douglas Adams, author of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Last Chance to See.

I agree
    the Minions
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I don't understand why Christians get so heat on this board. No so much in AET but it gets pretty bad over on Moving Train. I think most people here consider themselves fairly open minded so why are they making fun of anyone? A person's religious beliefs play a big role in who they are as a person.
  • Options
    Yep. For the purposes of this thread I think you could quite easily replace 'Christian' with 'Conservative Evangelical.'

wrong
    the Minions
  • Options
    I wasn't making fun of Christians... I told my friend I posted this and he was cool with it (except he thinks it's a chat room and I really couldn't get him to grasp the concept)

To generalize...Christians are good, helping and giving people. When you catch them out of their sequence just remind them that they believe Christ will return and it can cause them to reevaluate certain circumstances.

Oh and he said to be sure to tell you I didn't trick him and that he saw me give the transient man some wacky weed.

:D
    the Minions
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I know you weren't making fun of Christians and I should have sad that in my original post. My bad.

I really just wanted to say that sometimes on this board Christians are made fun of. I know that was not the point of the person who started the thread but a few of the other comments were a little unnecessary.
  • Options
    wrong

I'm very interested that you say I'm 'wrong', considering that you are the one that started the thread in order to point out the hypocrisy of ALL Christians. I point out the fact that one particular group can be hypocritical, and I'm 'wrong'? Why? Anyway, whatever, there was obviously a hint of sarcasm in my post...

• Options
    Drew263Drew263 Birmingham, AL Posts: 602
    Because at lot of vocal Christians act like their shit doesn't stink and try to push their beliefs down everyone's throat by getting legislation passed and telling everyone how to live.

You of course realize that goes both ways right?

Of course you do. You're not that small minded.
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    drivingrl wrote:

i do, and i'm only charitable when i know person is in great need. if it's a homeless person usually i don't give them money.

edit: i have to add that country i live in has a good benefit system and few shelters here and there....that's why i think homeless people aren't in such a need
  • Options
    genie wrote:
    if it's a homeless person usually i don't give them money.

Interesting...

• Options
    Because at lot of vocal Christians act like their shit doesn't stink and try to push their beliefs down everyone's throat by getting legislation passed and telling everyone how to live.

good words
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,761
    genie wrote:
    good words

Actually, they're ignorant or hypocritical words.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    Stelly wrote:

you missing one big point = as Atheists we don't have to be open minded, it's not written anywhere that we should be open minded, our actions are purely ours. if i choose to do good, i do good things because i want to, and not because i was told to do so.
  • Options
    I'm very interested that you say I'm 'wrong', considering that you are the one that started the thread in order to point out the hypocrisy of ALL Christians. I point out the fact that one particular group can be hypocritical, and I'm 'wrong'? Why? Anyway, whatever, there was obviously a hint of sarcasm in my post...

I was just saying my friend is not conservative evangelical. He supports woman's choice with abortions and state sponsored health care...just from my conversations with him I wouldn't call him a conservative
    the Minions
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i believe in Jesus.

thing is, whether God really exists/doesn't exist can not be proven I find
    it amusing that so many atheists like to make fun of believers.
    they are just as inept to prove the non existence of the God they refuse to believe in.

i think it is called irony
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    You don't need to trick them, they are already tricking themselves.

and what's that supposed to mean?
  • Options
    I was just saying my friend is not conservative evangelical. He supports woman's choice with abortions and state sponsored health care...just from my conversations with him I wouldn't call him a conservative

OK, fair enough. Good on your friend :) Well then my earlier point stands. Not even Jesus helped everyone he met.. and yet the second a Christian doesn't stop and help someone, it's assumed that they're told they have to or they'll go to hell.

• Options
    glasshouse wrote:
    i believe in Jesus.

thing is, whether God really exists/doesn't exist can not be proven I find
    it amusing that so many atheists like to make fun of believers.
    they are just as inept to prove the non existence of the God they refuse to believe in.

i think it is called irony

why should we prove non existence of god? would you start proving non existence of santa claus? and if so, how?