anyone else not excited by food?

GreenTeaDiseaseGreenTeaDisease Posts: 3,359
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I realize that on holidays or special occasions that involve food or going to a good restaurant or something, people get really excited about the food. And, when you think about it, ALL holidays, special occasions, most socializing, etc., is based on food! I just can't get into it. the only reason I enjoy going out to eat is getting out of the house. I think I am really weird in this respect, nobody ever seems to agree with me. Is there anyone else here who really could just take or leave home cooked holiday meals or doesn't have a "favorite restaurant"? The only time I really get into food is when I've been running like 10 miles and am really starving and the burrito place is nearby...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xscorchoxscorcho Posts: 409
    yum, i love the food part of holidays!
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    I love cooking when I get the time to do it, but being a student I usually go for the cheap boring meals over the nice food. I try to cook properly (opposed to heat meat and veg up, cook rice, chuck together) at least once or twice a week. never been a big restaurant fan though. Most small restaurants round here suck and I only end up thinking I could cook something nicer for cheaper. I like restaurants if they cook stuff I could never do at home though. :)
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    i am not big on home-cooked holiday meals at all, but i LOVE food and eating out. i love the social aspect with the food, everyone gets what the want, different things, try different things, share......yummm. sure, i have meals i eat at home that i love, but it's not the same as going out for me. i am ALL about eating out.....and/or takeout. i have numerous fave restaurants for fave different meals.....and i love trying new places too. :D

my mother is like you though. food? eh. she could really take it or leave it...no fave places to eat....no real fave meals, etc. she subsists on coffee, cigarettes and entemanns crumb cake. :p and she'll be 80 shortly!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,810
    food is a serious passion for me
    eating, cooking, learning as much as possible
  • This reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where George gets excited eating the fries in the dinner.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Your taste buds must be wacky, and/or your sense of smell. That's why most people love food is the smell and taste. I know I have goofy taste buds in that I like bitter and sour where most people don't and sweets usually don't appeal to me. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • coffee, cigarettes and entemanns crumb cake. :p and she'll be 80 shortly!

that's my kinda diet!

seriously usually lunch is my favorite thing to eat (sandwiches, salads, etc) but if I'm not REALLY hungry, I have to force myself to eat (the nutritionist doesn't want me going more than 4 hours or just having coffee). I end up walking around for ever trying to think of what I feel like eating. If it were more healthy, I probably would have coffee for lunch more often.
  • I never used to. I used to only eat because I had to. Since trying new foods and going to proper restauants, I love it.
    Besides, as far as restaurants are concerned, it's not just about the food, it's about the experience and the company.
  • wolfbear wrote:
    Your taste buds must be wacky, and/or your sense of smell. That's why most people love food is the smell and taste. I know I have goofy taste buds in that I like bitter and sour where most people don't and sweets usually don't appeal to me. :)

I'm not a big sweets person at all, I definitely like savory better. I'm not saying I don't like food though...I do, I just don't get EXCITED about it. I couldn't care less about going to restaurants and I don't get what the big deal is when someone cooks a big meal.
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    i love to cook, talk about food, shop for food....everything about it.

usually as i am eating one meal, i am thinking about the next.

the fact that you can take a pile of ingredients and turn
    them into something delicious is very satisfying to me.
    Nice shirt.
  • that's my kinda diet!

seriously usually lunch is my favorite thing to eat (sandwiches, salads, etc) but if I'm not REALLY hungry, I have to force myself to eat (the nutritionist doesn't want me going more than 4 hours or just having coffee). I end up walking around for ever trying to think of what I feel like eating. If it were more healthy, I probably would have coffee for lunch more often.

That's probably why you don't like food much.

(Good thread btw).
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Get_Right wrote:
    food is a serious passion for me
    eating, cooking, learning as much as possible
    Me too!
    :)
    I thought about your love of sushi the other day.
    I was watching last week's Iron Chef with Morimoto. The ingredient was kampachi. :) yummy
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,810
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Me too!
    I thought about your love of sushi the other day.
    I was watching last week's Iron Chef with Morimoto. The ingredient was kampachi. :) yummy

I saw that

poor italian chef had no chance

I need sushi badly.

Thanks for thinking of me!

• in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    Hell yeah I get excited about food! Holidays are great...but I'm always the one asking "when's lunch" or "what's for dinner"? I'm all about food!! Today I had a Whataburger Jr. and it was so delicious! (Whataburger is a burger joint popular here in Texas) I had large fries and a big ass Dr Pepper!!
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
    Get_Right wrote:
    I saw that

poor italian chef had no chance

I need sushi badly.

Thanks for thinking of me!

Thanks for helping me the other week. :)
    I know...that poor guy...
    Morimoto is just fascinating for me to watch.
    I need sushi bad too.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I don't eat as regularly as I should, being a student my meals are pretty much governed by when I get up in the morning/afternoon (:p) and what food I have lying around. I do really enjoy food though so I'm kind of the opposite of you. I love it but don't eat it as often as I should or would like to.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • haha ok, I guess I am really the only one...
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Thanks for helping me the other week. :)
    I know...that poor guy...
    Morimoto is just fascinating for me to watch.
    I need sushi bad too.

Dude! :)
    I love to turn you on
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    The thought of Mexican food makes me excited. I love it.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • I don't have a favorite restaurant and I don't get that excited about food. In fact, sometimes I have to force myself to eat so I won't get sick. Hate when that happens. :(
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
  • That's probably why you don't like food much.

(Good thread btw).

well no, this is in RESPONSE to my not getting into food, because if left to my own devices I may not eat until I'm really starving and then my metabolism gets screwed up and/or I'll eat too much when I get around to eating. But with this thread I was more referring to like special food- like going out to eat or like your grandma cooking "your favorite" or something.
    The thought of Mexican food makes me excited. I love it.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE MEXICAN FOOD!!! I'm so gonna get some chips and hot sauce after work!! lol
    "What a stupid lamb."
  • I don't have a favorite restaurant and I don't get that excited about food. In fact, sometimes I have to force myself to eat so I won't get sick. Hate when that happens. :(

yay! another weirdo :).
  • haha ok, I guess I am really the only one...

I was trying to say I understood what you mean. My mum hates food as well but then she refuses to try new things. :rolleyes:
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    i love to cook, talk about food, shop for food....everything about it.

usually as i am eating one meal, i am thinking about the next.

the fact that you can take a pile of ingredients and turn
    them into something delicious is very satisfying to me.
    definitely. and it's a sensual thing too in the true definition of the word...going to a great restaurant is an experience for all the senses. to me the visuals plays into it as much as the taste.

one of my all time fave places that i reserve for special occasions is this morrocan joint in SF. looks like a tent inside, big pillows on the floor, gorgeous fabrics, brass tables and they have belly dancers on saturday nights when not just playing cool middle eastern music. love it! :)
    Dude! :)
    dude....
    :p
    Sushi got a bad rap last week...damn mercury levels....:mad:
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I get a Woodro Wilson just thinking about Wendy's.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• yay! another weirdo :).

ha ha yea. i just got some pizza and it took me 1 hour to eat 2 slices. Lately food is really unappealing. I wish you could just take a pill and move on.
    "I'll ride the wave where it takes me.."
    Danimal wrote:
    I get a Woodro Wilson just thinking about Wendy's.

I love WENDY's...their chocolate Frosty is the best!!
    "What a stupid lamb."
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    good food = good times