anyone else not excited by food?

123457»

Comments

• PJaddicted wrote:
    Just a question....do you think people who enjoy food and plan celebrations around it, are the ones who really enjoy life to its fullest? I think of my mom when asking this question....she is a FOODIE. She is thin and fit for 71, and totally loves and enjoys life, lives in the moment since losing my dad. She is always planning her next meal. Always in a good mood! She is a fabulous cook too. When we were kids she would have her friends over for "gracious living" parties, dispite having little money. My parents just seemed to live life to the fullest. So much of our lives were centered around celebrations that always involved great meals. Right now she is in FL with her boyfriend, having driven and eaten all the way down there, visiting friends along the way....having a great time she tells me, also discribing every single meal! Sooooo funny! I just love her! What does everyone think?

oxc

hmm no I don't think the two necessarily go together. my parents and all their friends are like that with food, always planning the next meal, always thinking about where to eat, but I think it's because they have nothing else to do.
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    hmm no I don't think the two necessarily go together. my parents and all their friends are like that with food, always planning the next meal, always thinking about where to eat, but I think it's because they have nothing else to do.

Funny my mom is so busy it makes my head spin....she has a very full life, gym, biking, kayaking,hiking, swimming, movies, shows, tons of traveling to really cool places for weeks, months at a time, she always has plans, but always has the food built right in to the day!!!! If she does a 25 mile bike ride with her boyfriend, they go for a super lunch or dinner along the way. I hope I'm like her at that age. I'm jealous of how cool her life is right now!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Funny my mom is so busy it makes my head spin....she has a very full life, gym, biking, kayaking,hiking, swimming, movies, shows, tons of traveling to really cool places for weeks, months at a time, she always has plans, but always has the food built right in to the day!!!! If she does a 25 mile bike ride with her boyfriend, they go for a super lunch or dinner along the way. I hope I'm like her at that age. I'm jealous of how cool her life is right now!

oxc

i wouldn't mind that right now! :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

i wouldn't mind that right now! :D

Sunny Florida for the next 3 months.....they rented a 3 BR house with a full size pool, brought their bikes, snorkel stuff.....doesn't that sound awesome???

I'm going down in April for a week....I CAN'T WAIT!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • PJaddicted wrote:
    I'm jealous of how cool her life is right now!

oxc

well when you retire you can do that too.

my parents are still working full time, I'm not sure if they'll ever retire. they have nothing else to do in their free time besides eat and golf. and my mother does housework whenever she's not at work-work.
    well when you retire you can do that too.

my parents are still working full time, I'm not sure if they'll ever retire. they have nothing else to do in their free time besides eat and golf. and my mother does housework whenever she's not at work-work.

He he he....you sound like my mom, that is what she keeps telling me! I only work 2 days a week....but my boys are wearing me out mentally! I may not make retirement! I do have a lot of free time....and choose any other activity then house cleaning! I HATE IT! I hike with my dog every single day of the week, getting out in to nature is my passion. So really no complaints....although I would love to take the long trips my mom does....next is Alaska, I think next Fall! Since she lost my Dad, she took 9 of us to Costa Rica....went up the west Coast from CA to WA for 4 weeks and 2 weeks across Canadian Rockies,a 9 day cruise to the Islands, spent the last 3 Winters in FL, and then does all sorts of shorter trips all over the East Coast! The biking, hiking and Kayaking are all new....active boyfriend! She sure made a new life for herself. I'm very proud of the new women she has become.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    PJaddicted wrote:

oxc
    your mom sounds awesome, and i wanna retire now already (37 isn't too young, no? haha)

as for the question you posed, i do think a love of food can also mean a love of life, at least all my family and friends share that commonality :)
    your mom sounds awesome, and i wanna retire now already (37 isn't too young, no? haha)

as for the question you posed, i do think a love of food can also mean a love of life, at least all my family and friends share that commonality :)

You my dear would LOVE her! She is really fun....She is a whole new mom for me, it took some getting used to...but its great now!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    PJaddicted wrote:
    You my dear would LOVE her! She is really fun....She is a whole new mom for me, it took some getting used to...but its great now!

oxc
    well her daughter kicks ass so it stands to reason she would too :)
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    PJaddicted wrote:
    He he he....you sound like my mom, that is what she keeps telling me! I only work 2 days a week....but my boys are wearing me out mentally! I may not make retirement! I do have a lot of free time....and choose any other activity then house cleaning! I HATE IT! I hike with my dog every single day of the week, getting out in to nature is my passion. So really no complaints....although I would love to take the long trips my mom does....next is Alaska, I think next Fall! Since she lost my Dad, she took 9 of us to Costa Rica....went up the west Coast from CA to WA for 4 weeks and 2 weeks across Canadian Rockies,a 9 day cruise to the Islands, spent the last 3 Winters in FL, and then does all sorts of shorter trips all over the East Coast! The biking, hiking and Kayaking are all new....active boyfriend! She sure made a new life for herself. I'm very proud of the new women she has become.

oxc

that is truly awesome!!!! One of life's lessons - live it how you want to, live it happy....it's too damn short to sulk about the small shit.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • PJaddicted wrote:

oxc

wow that is awesome. I haven't been on a big fun trip since 2002. I want to do a multi-sport in iceland, but alas it will have to wait a bit. hahaha possibly retirement :).
  • in_hiding79in_hiding79 Posts: 4,315
    I'm GREEK, so whatever is going on in my family it is going on while we eat! Eating is a big part of being Greek. We eat good food, but since I married a non-Greek, I have to make things that he likes too!! :)

I love to eat...
    And so the lion fell in love with the lamb...,"
    "What a stupid lamb."
    "What a sick, masochistic lion."
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    you're supposed to really like food to be thin, that's what intuitive eating is all about. contrary to popular believe most thin people like food and most fat people don't. I like food less for the actual taste but more for what I feel like my body needs. like sometimes even though I'm not a sweets person, I feel I need a little sugar (sunday night I had a chocolate crepe for dinner which is highly unusual for me) or sometimes I feel like I need fat so I eat cheese. sometimes I feel like I need vitamins so I eat vegetables. it's when I DON'T really feel like I need anything that eating becomes a pain, and since I eat a well-balanced diet, I don't often feel like I need anything. As I mentioned earlier, food is best when you feel like you deserve it.

whah? You need food to live! Deserve it? Good God. Where did they say people are eating DIRT? In Haiti? It was on the news. Be grateful you don't have to eat dirt :-)
    but seriously. I am thin. I have a super fast metabolism. I am always hungry but I can't eat a lot at one sitting, so I eat all day! I get ill if I don't have something to eat every few hours or so
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    well her daughter kicks ass so it stands to reason she would too :)

:p thanks B....you always have something nice to say!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
    Whizbang wrote:
    that is truly awesome!!!! One of life's lessons - live it how you want to, live it happy....it's too damn short to sulk about the small shit.

Although she would take back her sedentary life in a second, if she could have my dad back, she has chosen life over following my dad to an early grave. She has made the best out of the cards she was dealt....and truly my new inspiration. She was with my Dad since she was 15 years old, didn't know any other life...but always looks for that half full glass....and she has found it again.

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • PJaddicted wrote:
    but always has the food built right in to the day!!!!
    :D that sounds like me... I LOVE food... yep there are some days when I forget to eat til I get home :o but especially if I'm on holiday or having a special day or something, food figures LARGELY into that and I'm always planning where we're gonna eat... there's nothing better than a nice meal out :)
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    I love food. Mmmm food...
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Although she would take back her sedentary life in a second, if she could have my dad back, she has chosen life over following my dad to an early grave. She has made the best out of the cards she was dealt....and truly my new inspiration. She was with my Dad since she was 15 years old, didn't know any other life...but always looks for that half full glass....and she has found it again.

oxc

oh boy...I just re-read my original response on this and it sounded as though I was saying losing her life mate was "small shit". totally not my intention so I apologize if it came out that way. As you said, she's an inspiration - she's been dealt that hand and she's rolling with it. That inspires me to not sweat the small things in life - ugh, I put on some weight - as there are worse things in life that could happen to me.

My grandmother passed away in June. She suffered from Alzheimers and had been in the nursing home for the previous 6 years. My grandfather watched his best friend deteriorate before his eyes but continued to live. They had a cottage on the Cape (he sold it to my mom & one of her sisters for Medicare reasons) that he still goes to all summer. He bought a new boat and enjoys fishing with us grandkids and his great grandchildren. They would have been married 64 years in December. Though he felt a bit guilty by "leaving her behind", he continued and continues to live. He's 84 and he just bought a drum set to take lessons.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
    Whizbang wrote:
    oh boy...I just re-read my original response on this and it sounded as though I was saying losing her life mate was "small shit". totally not my intention so I apologize if it came out that way. As you said, she's an inspiration - she's been dealt that hand and she's rolling with it. That inspires me to not sweat the small things in life - ugh, I put on some weight - as there are worse things in life that could happen to me.

My grandmother passed away in June. She suffered from Alzheimers and had been in the nursing home for the previous 6 years. My grandfather watched his best friend deteriorate before his eyes but continued to live. They had a cottage on the Cape (he sold it to my mom & one of her sisters for Medicare reasons) that he still goes to all summer. He bought a new boat and enjoys fishing with us grandkids and his great grandchildren. They would have been married 64 years in December. Though he felt a bit guilty by "leaving her behind", he continued and continues to live. He's 84 and he just bought a drum set to take lessons.

No worries, I just figure not everyone knows the pain of loss until you go through it. When my Dad died suddenly at only 70 years old, I was devastated for about 18 months...the pain was worse then anything else I had ever gone through, I would have rather been beat every single day then feel that loss....I could only imagine what my poor mom was feeling. Her grief could have killed her. Thankfully we don't know that kind of pain until it is our time to suffer it. She admits now...she did feel like following him for more then 2 years. She still cries at any mention of his name. You never get over the loss of your soul mate....you just learn to live with it.

Now on to the good news, my moms boyfriend is 82, and he is much like your grandpa! His wife also had that dreaded disease and Parkinsons too. He cared for her himself for 5 years. He is a truly wonderful human being and my mom is lucky to have him. He is madly in love with mom!!! She is a young chick to him....she is 71! I just hope he sticks around for a long time, because they are having so much fun.

Enjoy Grandpa....what a blessing he must be!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I definitely get excited by food...as long as it's what I like.