Options

Top Chef Chicago

Comments

• Options
    The Champ wrote:
    You should check out the site again, we have our tasting picture up now :)..The chef is super fucking nice and talented as hell!! Food will be banging!! We weren't prepared as to what a tasting actually was..we thought bites and samples but instead we were drunk off our asses by 2pm and stuffed after the second course..Jesus....

lol..you and Mooks gonna crash..there will be some PJ playing as well ;)..Last hour will be more of a club type dance feel though..

Champ's getting married?! When's the wedding? Mine's Aug. 2nd. I'm a bit pissed we didn't do a tasting. My fiance's sister did one and loved it. I guess it isn't too late but we already have our caterer lined up.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

"Klaus Daimler, 40, engineer, calm, collected, German"
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Get_Right wrote:
    Havent been there in ages. Pretty good from what I remember.

I live in westchester, but spend 99% percent of my waking life in midtown.

sounds like you need to be exposed to some great sushi

E79th?????

Sushi of Gari!!!!!!!!!

So you have an apartment in the city but your family lives in Westchester? I'm sure the daily commute would be quite a hassle..

It's funny you should mention Gari..I walk by it just about every day coming back from the 6 train for the last 3 years..also heard great thinks about it, but like I said when we get the urge, it's usually more like well let's have some wine at home and then get some Italian/French/Mexican..but we will try it before we move!! Any menu recommendations for novice sushi eaters?
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Champ's getting married?! When's the wedding? Mine's Aug. 2nd. I'm a bit pissed we didn't do a tasting. My fiance's sister did one and loved it. I guess it isn't too late but we already have our caterer lined up.

June 7th..we come back from our honeymoon(8 day cruise) just in time for some PJ in MSG..funny how perfectly shit works out at times :)..

Congrats on your wedding as well!! I would definitely recommend the tasting..It was so much fun!!
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    June 7th..we come back from our honeymoon(8 day cruise) just in time for some PJ in MSG..funny how perfectly shit works out at times :)..

Congrats on your wedding as well!! I would definitely recommend the tasting..It was so much fun!!

Thanks. Don't know if we'll get a chance or not. I think we're only going home one or two more times before the wedding.

Where are you cruising too? We thought about doing an alaskan cruise but can't quite make up our mind.
    "Everyone is a patriot in some form or another.... i prefer the intelligent ones."

"She fell funny"

• Options
    Thanks. Don't know if we'll get a chance or not. I think we're only going home one or two more times before the wedding.

Where are you cruising too? We thought about doing an alaskan cruise but can't quite make up our mind.

West, here is the info on our cruise:
    http://www.carnival.com/Itinerary.aspx?embkCode=NYC&itinCode=EC2&groupInd=NYC1&shipCode=MI&durDays=8&subRegionCode=CE

Balcony for two and including everything was around 2,800..Sure we'll have to pay for drinks but food is included and I heard Carnival these days has some great food!! And all we have to do is take a cab downtown, how fucking convenient is that..Also check out the board on cruisecritic.com. The people there are crazy like here but tons and tons of info..good luck..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    I agree...the person who conceives the dish ALWAYS gets the boot.....although Manuel had it coming. I don't think he had made a descent meal yet.
    Yeah, I thought both should have been kicked off. I really thought the judges were going to say something like "So if you've been cooking Vietnamese cuisine for 2 years, how is your restaurant still in business?".

and then Manuel....come on, he's Latino and loses on the Taco challenge? I think all Latino people disowned him after that.....
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    The Champ wrote:
    So you have an apartment in the city but your family lives in Westchester? I'm sure the daily commute would be quite a hassle..

It's funny you should mention Gari..I walk by it just about every day coming back from the 6 train for the last 3 years..also heard great thinks about it, but like I said when we get the urge, it's usually more like well let's have some wine at home and then get some Italian/French/Mexican..but we will try it before we move!! Any menu recommendations for novice sushi eaters?

no apt. daily commute, 50 mins-right to Grand Central not too bad

gari is my favorite place for "nouveau/nobu" style sushi
    the chef is a genius
    salmon with a roasted tomato on top
    fluke with toasted lotus root and a microgreen salad

that kinda stuff
    Id tell the chef what you dont like, and them let him pick for you
    warning about Gari though, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    the most expensive meal Ive ever had in NYC was there
    of course the $100 on sake didnt help

for beginners?
    Eel-its cooked Eel cucumber roll is great
    Try a Shinko Maki (totally veg) Pickled radish roll
    Spicy tuna roll of course
    Spicy Spider roll is also good (soft shell crab roll)

try something called uzuzukuri thinly sliced fluke with shredded daikon, scallions and ponzu sauce for dipping.

Tuna, salmon, scallops and Fluke are pretty mild
    Yellowtail, red snapper, sea bass are also pretty mild but have some flavor

Octopus and squid can be REALLY good, but also really bad if not SUPER fresh

The bonito, makerel, clams, sea urchin and roe-id never give a newbie very strong fish flavors
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    no apt. daily commute, 50 mins-right to Grand Central not too bad

gari is my favorite place for "nouveau/nobu" style sushi
    the chef is a genius
    salmon with a roasted tomato on top
    fluke with toasted lotus root and a microgreen salad

that kinda stuff
    Id tell the chef what you dont like, and them let him pick for you
    warning about Gari though, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    the most expensive meal Ive ever had in NYC was there
    of course the $100 on sake didnt help

for beginners?
    Eel-its cooked Eel cucumber roll is great
    Try a Shinko Maki (totally veg) Pickled radish roll
    Spicy tuna roll of course
    Spicy Spider roll is also good (soft shell crab roll)

try something called uzuzukuri thinly sliced fluke with shredded daikon, scallions and ponzu sauce for dipping.

Tuna, salmon, scallops and Fluke are pretty mild
    Yellowtail, red snapper, sea bass are also pretty mild but have some flavor

Octopus and squid can be REALLY good, but also really bad if not SUPER fresh

The bonito, makerel, clams, sea urchin and roe-id never give a newbie very strong fish flavors

Thanks for taking the time for these suggestions!!
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Trix, I had Spike pegged as a shitty chef from the start and felt he should have gotten the boot a long time ago, but this is getting fucking ridiculous! What a spineless little shit..

Btw, my girl Steph was yet again on top-get used to it :)..

As for the fight at the end, anyone else confused?? I understand the argument between Spike and godzilla, but what the hell was Dale and one of the lesbians going on about?? Seriously, I have no fucking clue..it's probably just me due to missing part of the show..

On a side note, I ran into Anthony Bourdain on 1st Avenue and 79th street..He was with some kid I assume may have been his son..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    The Champ wrote:
    Trix, I had Spike pegged as a shitty chef from the start and felt he should have gotten the boot a long time ago, but this is getting fucking ridiculous! What a spineless little shit..

As for the fight at the end, anyone else confused?? I understand the argument between Spike and godzilla, but what the hell was Dale and one of the lesbians going on about?? Seriously, I have no fucking clue..it's probably just me due to missing part of the show..

On a side note, I ran into Anthony Bourdain on 1st Avenue and 79th street..He was with some kid I assume may have been his son..
    Spike is not a shitty chef...I just think he has a hard time playing with others.
    The one that went home made shitty SALAD 2x in a row. SALAD??? s a l a d

Dale was fighting with her because she is a negative biatch.

But who had the best palate????? Antonia! :p

And I didn't know Amy Winehouse was on the show now????
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    Havent been there in ages. Pretty good from what I remember.

I live in westchester, but spend 99% percent of my waking life in midtown.

I probably pass you at some point on my way to work! I'm at 3 american lane off of 120 a little ways down from the airport.

"She fell funny"

• Options
    The Champ wrote:

I didn't really get the fighting either. I think they were just some extra clips they threw in there. I'm now hoping spike and that other lesbian get the boot. I'm agreeing w/ dale.......she made BACON!!

And how can spike whine about the dish? He could have stuck up for himself and done his soup but he bitched out. He needs to get the boot soon.

Oh...pretty happy that zoe got kicked off. Clearly the lesser lesbian in this challenge

"She fell funny"

• Options
    It will be hard to beat last weeks show. I mean come on, it doesn't get much better than cooking with beer, then grilling some fucking meat at a football game :)..My girl Steph is still going strong..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    I probably pass you at some point on my way to work! I'm at 3 american lane off of 120 a little ways down from the airport.

VERY CLOSE

I am about 5 miles from the airport right near the intersection of 120 and 117.
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    How is Nikki still not eliminated? After the sausage and peppers disaster, you'd think she was competing to host "Everyday Italian".
  • Options
    SOOOOOOO HAPPY THAT JEN FINALLY GOT THE BOOT!!! I was so tired of hearing her whine and moan about Zoi and how she's doing this for Zoi. wah, wah, wah! She should have been doing this competition for herself!
    Lollapalooza 2007
    Eddie Vedder 8-22-08
    Chicago 8-23-09
    Chicago 8-24-09

"The love received is the love that is saved" - Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    CorduroyboyCorduroyboy Posts: 1,254
    I've really dug into this show for the first time in the past few weeks. I think the female host Padma is nothing but a beotch. I can't tell Richard or Jen apart. Dale has some major talent and I hope that boy wins.
  • Options
    JenInTheBxJenInTheBx Posts: 293
    SOOOOOOO HAPPY THAT JEN FINALLY GOT THE BOOT!!! I was so tired of hearing her whine and moan about Zoi and how she's doing this for Zoi. wah, wah, wah! She should have been doing this competition for herself!

Agreed, though I must say I was VERY happy to see Ryan get the boot last week! That guy is an idiot with no clue and all of his dishes looked like they sucked- I could have made a piccata better than him. And, what the hell was he thinking trying to give people a "5 star dining experience" at a football game?
  • Options
    I dug last nights show
    but the themes for the dinner were kinda dumb

richard and andrew appear to be in a class that is way above the others
  • Options
    I was shitting in my pants last night as my girl Steph barely survived!!

I too initially thought Dale would be a viable contender and nothing to fuck with. But I couldn't, in good conscious, ride him to the end as the odds are heavily stacked against him due to Hung's domination last year (which of course is who I correctly picked last season) :)..fuckers...
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    Get_Right wrote:
    I dug last nights show
    but the themes for the dinner were kinda dumb

richard and andrew appear to be in a class that is way above the others

Really? I thought last night's episode was extremely boring!!
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    Really? I thought last night's episode was extremely boring!!

Well After last week, anything will seem boring.

I was just a normal show, w/o too much drama BS
    plus I enjoyed three sierra nevadas while it was on.

which helped my mood immensely
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I can't tell Richard or Jen apart.

good stuff...
  • Options
    Dollpartz wrote:
    good stuff...

I tried to be as PC as I could in here. What I really wanted to say might offend a few.
  • Options
    I tried to be as PC as I could in here. What I really wanted to say might offend a few.

i was thinking the same thing last night, they look like twin brothers
  • Options
    Dollpartz wrote:
    i was thinking the same thing last night, they look like twin brothers

Ha ha ha!! I told my wife that I'm not sure who pulls off the spikey hair lesbian look better!

Alright, enough of bashing on them. I hope Bourdain comes on more. I love that guy, but some of the judges and their over criticism of food drives me nuts. Has tasting food gotten as bad as these people make it? Between the judges on this show and Iron Chef, I'm starting to feel we've lost our minds when it comes to food.
  • Options
    The Champ wrote:
    I was shitting in my pants last night as my girl Steph barely survived!!

I too initially thought Dale would be a viable contender and nothing to fuck with. But I couldn't, in good conscious, ride him to the end as the odds are heavily stacked against him due to Hung's domination last year (which of course is who I correctly picked last season) :)..fuckers...

Yeah...i was really nervous about Steph(the only Chi-town girl left) getting booted but I knew that she wouldn't because she's won elimination challenges. I was disappointed that the judges didn't vote towards Antonia and Lisa...they DID NOT do ANYTHING that was relevant to the challenge!
    Lollapalooza 2007
    Eddie Vedder 8-22-08
    Chicago 8-23-09
    Chicago 8-24-09

"The love received is the love that is saved" - Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    Ha ha ha!! I told my wife that I'm not sure who pulls off the spikey hair lesbian look better!

Alright, enough of bashing on them. I hope Bourdain comes on more. I love that guy, but some of the judges and their over criticism of food drives me nuts. Has tasting food gotten as bad as these people make it? Between the judges on this show and Iron Chef, I'm starting to feel we've lost our minds when it comes to food.

lets not forget Hell's Kitchen!
  • Options
    I was disappointed that the judges didn't vote towards Antonia and Lisa...they DID NOT do ANYTHING that was relevant to the challenge!
    I agree. I thought they should have been the losers just based on the fact that they didn't serve the dish that they were given. Although, that does go against Antonia and she's one of the chefs I wouldn't mind see winning.
  • Options
    Dollpartz wrote:
    lets not forget Hell's Kitchen!
    The only defense I'll give for Hell's Kitchen is that they are cooking in his kitchen and under his direction. So if something isn't up to standard, he'd have every right to be pissed since he's the final authority on the food being served. Ultimately, it's Ramsay's reputation on the line until the winner is determined and gets their own restaurant.