How 'bout them Penguins? How 'bout them Penguins!

Comments

• i guarantee all of you fall asleep tonight worrying about "what if the pens straight wipe us all out again, 1-2-3, i'll be damned!!!"

while we fall asleep at night dreaming of stanley cups, repeats, sid and geno no matter who's on the ice or what...mario... 8-)
    and fuck me if I say somethin you dont wanna hear, fuck me!
    and fuck me if you only hear what you wanna hear
    fuck me...if I care...but im not leavin here
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    milarso wrote:
    This game is just another example of how Pittsburgh could be the best team in the league, but Malkin is their best player.

You must not watch the Pens every night if you think that... Malkin does have his moments and when he takes over a game, he TAKES OVER a game, but night and night out, Crosby is the better player hands down. Malkin takes many dumb penalties (he is 3rd in the league in minor penalties), and disappears for stretches at a time.

Don't get me wrong, Malkin is def a top 5 center, but he is not as complete of a player as Crosby.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    devs got your number
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    i guarantee all of you fall asleep tonight worrying about "what if the pens straight wipe us all out again, 1-2-3, i'll be damned!!!"

while we fall asleep at night dreaming of stanley cups, repeats, sid and geno no matter who's on the ice or what...mario... 8-)

Actually, I fall asleep thinking about my girlfriend.
    And I don't think anyone here is worrying about playing the Penguins. Getting the win last night was nice, but we're more worried about making the playoffs (for the 19th straight year).
    See, over the last 20 years, we have never been so ungodly terrible that the league would give us unprecedented weight in order to get a superstar draft pick to carry our team out of irrelevance.
    But have sweet dreams with your three cups and repeats. Win eight more Cups and repeat twice more and you might be able to compare our two franchises.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i guarantee all of you fall asleep tonight worrying about "what if the pens straight wipe us all out again, 1-2-3, i'll be damned!!!"

while we fall asleep at night dreaming of stanley cups, repeats, sid and geno no matter who's on the ice or what...mario getting blown by sidney... 8-)

pretty gay dream. go wings
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    milarso wrote:

And I don't think anyone here is worrying about playing the Penguins. Getting the win last night was nice, but we're more worried about making the playoffs (for the 19th straight year).
    See, over the last 20 years, we have never been so ungodly terrible that the league would give us unprecedented weight in order to get a superstar draft pick to carry our team out of irrelevance.
    But have sweet dreams with your three cups and repeats. Win eight more Cups and repeat twice more and you might be able to compare our two franchises.

Come on now...you can't compare the Red Wings and Penguin organizations

For a team that has not had high draft picks for I dont even know how mnay years and compete for the Cup or win the Cup(s) in very impressive...Ken Holland is the best GM in the game

The Guins will never go 19 straight years in the playoffs...they do the same thing over and over...win for 5-6 yrs...tank for 5yrs..get high draft picks and start over
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • no i get it. you feel very threatened that the only thing detroit has had going for it for 20...hell lets make it 50!! years...in an otherwise ungodly terrible city, is its hockey program

now that the only thing that keeps an entire city off suicide watch is on the decline,im sure it stings
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    no i get it. you feel very threatened that the only thing detroit has had going for it for 20...hell lets make it 50!! years...in an otherwise ungodly terrible city, is its hockey program

now that the only thing that keeps an entire city off suicide watch is on the decline,im sure it stings

threatened by one cup in the last 18 years? we have 4.

our basketball team has 3 titles in the last 22 years having 2 streaks of 5 conference championships straight within that time...how's bball in pittsburgh?

made world series in 06. that was nice. missed playoffs by a game last year. gonna be in it this year
    think the pirates are officially a developmental team for the rest of the league

Stings?
    We beat the Stanley Cup champs last night 3-1!

On the decline?
    We held the "best player" in the league to three shots and a -3 rating.
    I'm feeling really good about my hockey team.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
    milarso wrote:

Come on now...you can't compare the Red Wings and Penguin organizations

For a team that has not had high draft picks for I dont even know how mnay years and compete for the Cup or win the Cup(s) in very impressive...Ken Holland is the best GM in the game

The Guins will never go 19 straight years in the playoffs...they do the same thing over and over...win for 5-6 yrs...tank for 5yrs..get high draft picks and start over

ummm... not exactly...

Since the 1990-91 season (19 seasons counting the current season), the Pens have made the playoffs 16 of them, with making at least the conference finals 6 times and won 3 Cups. That's only 3 losing seasons in that time frame.

Just for comparison, in those 19 season, the Flyers have made the playoffs in 13 of them, advancing to the conference finals 5 times with zero Cups.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    I could of sworn there was a stretch from like '01-'07 where they didn't make the playoffs

In '03 getting MAF high pick and '04 Malkin high pick '05 Crosby and missing the playoffs until '07?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=p ... &type=lgns

crosbythecrybaby1-300x225.jpg
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    crosby_crying.jpg
    CryingCrosby.jpg
    I could of sworn there was a stretch from like '01-'07 where they didn't make the playoffs

In '03 getting MAF high pick and '04 Malkin high pick '05 Crosby and missing the playoffs until '07?

with the lockout, it was only 4 seasons out of the playoffs though ('02, '03, '04 & '06)... keep in mind, the Crosby draft was after the lockout season, so the record from the 03-04 season basically went for two drafts. The scary thing is that they had the worst record in that season, and lost out on the Ovechkin lottery and took Malkin. All this crap about Crosby vs Ovechkin, they could have been linemates. :o
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln

with the lockout, it was only 4 seasons out of the playoffs though ('02, '03, '04 & '06)... keep in mind, the Crosby draft was after the lockout season, so the record from the 03-04 season basically went for two drafts. The scary thing is that they had the worst record in that season, and lost out on the Ovechkin lottery and took Malkin. All this crap about Crosby vs Ovechkin, they could have been linemates. :o

In all honesty who would you rather have Malkin or Ovechkin ?

In all honesty who would you rather have Malkin or Ovechkin ?

Probably Malkin, just because I think that the center position is more important than winger... but it's not like there really is a wrong answer to that question lol.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Big game tonight tried to get a ticket, NOT A Chance in DC

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    Great game by both teams and both stars as the Caps edge out a victory. Being a former goalie in the past I know how Fleury feels not stopping that last shot. :(

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Great game by both teams and both stars as the Caps edge out a victory. Being a former goalie in the past I know how Fleury feels not stopping that last shot. :(

Peace

I watched the first 2 periods, and listened to the 3rd while working in my basement. From what I saw and heard, it was a good game. Pens had more chances, but Washington seems so dangerous with the chances they get. As a Pens fan and a hockey fan in general, I hope we get to see these two play in the playoffs again.

and Mike Knuble owns the Penguins, he always has...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087

How scary would that have been for their opponents?
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • tough loss last night for sure, but we still got a point at least

we played hard, lots of shots on both sides, penalty kill looked great. power play...what'r ya gonna do with gonch and geno both out?

thought we had it when we went up w those two shoot-out goals

caps are gonna be tough in the post season, but i know we can out-mach'em again

i just hope we dont see the devils in the post!!!
    Very interesting.

"Versus averaged 622,000 viewers for Monday's Pittsburgh Penguins at Detroit Red Wings game making it the highest-rated and most-watched NHL regular season game in network history and the most-watched NHL regular season telecast on U.S. cable since 2004. The game peaked at a .9 National HH rating and 760,000 viewers during the live telecast."

http://macombdaily.com/articles/2010/03/24/sports/doc4baa50c10301c345848805.txt

My girlfriend made the astute observation that, "Perhaps the NHL should stop trying to force rivalries and just let them develop on their own..."-- In regards to the league making Detroit play teams like Nashville and Columbus a bunch of times in hopes of a rivalry sprouting up.
    milarso wrote:
    My girlfriend made the astute observation that, "Perhaps the NHL should stop trying to force rivalries and just let them develop on their own..."-- In regards to the league making Detroit play teams like Nashville and Columbus a bunch of times in hopes of a rivalry sprouting up.

Yeah, but if they made the schedule with some emphasis on rivalries, who would teams like Columbus & Nashville play? It's not like they have any real rivalries.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    milarso wrote:

Yeah, but if they made the schedule with some emphasis on rivalries, who would teams like Columbus & Nashville play? It's not like they have any real rivalries.

They should start a rivalry with one another... country music vs. rock and roll hall of fame?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    milarso wrote:
    Very interesting.

"Versus averaged 622,000 viewers for Monday's Pittsburgh Penguins at Detroit Red Wings game making it the highest-rated and most-watched NHL regular season game in network history and the most-watched NHL regular season telecast on U.S. cable since 2004. The game peaked at a .9 National HH rating and 760,000 viewers during the live telecast."

The league is governed by a moron. Anything that makes sense will never see the light of day. Anyone with Direct TV can't even watch the marquee matchups on Versus (most people don't even know the network exists). The NHL pays NBC to televise their games. Instead, Bettman should be looking into ways to blackmail ESPN to provide coverage instead of trying to force certain stars down everyones mouth and saving hockey in towns that have never actually seen ice outside.
  • tanger, 4yr, finances undisclosed

lock it up!!! 8-)
  • Jason P wrote:
    milarso wrote:
    Very interesting.

The league is governed by a moron. Anything that makes sense will never see the light of day. Anyone with Direct TV can't even watch the marquee matchups on Versus (most people don't even know the network exists). The NHL pays NBC to televise their games. Instead, Bettman should be looking into ways to blackmail ESPN to provide coverage instead of trying to force certain stars down everyones mouth and saving hockey in towns that have never actually seen ice outside.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, but did want to clarify that Versus is back on DirecTV on channel 603 as of a few weeks ago.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    I believe the situation was that The Outdoor Life Network was offering more cash for the TV contract. ESPN was offering much less than OLN, and much less than their previous contract. The NHL chased the instant $ instead of the exposure.
    Im not a fan of ESPN, but its a fact that if the NHL is carried on ESPN "Magically" we start seeing more highlights on Sportscenter, positive talk about hockey on shows like Around the Horn and PTI, etc... so in the longterm it is better for the sport and a wise commissioner would convince the NHLPA and owners of this.

Honestly though, I think I am the only Sabres fan who kind of likes Bettman. He really stood up for Buffalo and saved our team... Kind of did the same for Pittsburgh too.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Pens vs. Caps in the Winter Classic '11 at Heinz Field? My fingers are crossed...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5036022
    I smile, but who am I kidding...