How 'bout them Penguins? How 'bout them Penguins!

Comments

• RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    kenshunt wrote:
    Conky has played well for them, but we all know what happened when Rolie went down for Edmonton and Conky had to play, so i guess we have to wait and see how he fairs in the playoffs.
    Agreed (hi EF!).
    Pens got pretty strong yesterday for the now. Greatly increased their Cup chances.
  • kenshunt wrote:
    Conky has played well for them, but we all know what happened when Rolie went down for Edmonton and Conky had to play, so i guess we have to wait and see how he fairs in the playoffs.

Don't forget about Fleury. He has a lot to prove now. And he did win 40 games last year.
    But i really enjoy watching the rest of the nhl get conkblocked right now.
    and let me just shout Hossa! Yeah baby, shine up the cup.
  • inmyrvminmyrvm Posts: 933
    Don't forget about Fleury. He has a lot to prove now. And he did win 40 games last year.
    But i really enjoy watching the rest of the nhl get conkblocked right now.
    and let me just shout Hossa! Yeah baby, shine up the cup.
    i hope they let fleury go. they should have traded him for bryzgalov.
    "Fuck the talkin' let's start rockin" - Eddie Vedder 9-5-00 Pittsburgh
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

friends don't let friends listen to good charlotte
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Rygar wrote:
    Agreed (hi EF!).
    Pens got pretty strong yesterday for the now. Greatly increased their Cup chances.

After last years first round exit due to goaltending, I will stand by my original post about that problem today.

Hey there Ry!!!! And Ken!!! What are you guys doing in this thread? :) Hockey, Hockey, Hockey!!!!!
    You've changed your place in this world!
    even flow? wrote:
    After last years first round exit due to goaltending, I will stand by my original post about that problem today.

Hey there Ry!!!! And Ken!!! What are you guys doing in this thread? :) Hockey, Hockey, Hockey!!!!!
    We invade every hockey thread!
  • inmyrvm wrote:
    i hope they let fleury go. they should have traded him for bryzgalov.

Fleury has been brilliant in the minors since he's come back, and as it was mentioned earlier, he was one of only three goalies to win 40 games last year.

And now that he's ditching those horrendous yellow pads, he should do even better!

But I have no doubt that Conklin can take us all the way, but if he falters I have faith in Fleury as well.
    Fleury has been brilliant in the minors since he's come back, and as it was mentioned earlier, he was one of only three goalies to win 40 games last year.

And now that he's ditching those horrendous yellow pads, he should do even better!

But I have no doubt that Conklin can take us all the way, but if he falters I have faith in Fleury as well.
    he very shakily won 40 last year. he got worse this year. i love him not playing because that means i don't scream at the t.v. constantly. he is more fragile than a vase. i hope he comes back and does not suck. if he does, let his ass go. conks will take us all the way. but let's not get too cocky. i don't wanna sound like a boston fan.
    4/26/03 Pittsburgh 5/3/03 State College 7/12/03 Hershey 10/1/04 Reading 9/28/05 Pittsburgh 5/20/06 Cleveland 6/23/06 Pittsburgh 6/22/08 DC

• kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    even flow? wrote:

Well i do see a few pens games on tsn, i also like roberts, but wanna see how hal plays for them.
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Well i do see a few pens games on tsn, i also like roberts, but wanna see how hal plays for them.
    roberts won't be back until march 25, if we're lucky. it sucks getting old. interesting lines for practice today too. they better keep the top line together, those stupid bastards!
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08058/860886-100.stm?cmpid=latest.xml

• kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    inmyrvm wrote:
    roberts won't be back until march 25, if we're lucky. it sucks getting old.
    yeah but when he does play he plays hard, and he can still fight for an old man lol, i still think just as long as he makes it back for the playoffs, the pens will have a chance at anything maybe even a cup, wasn't he the best player for the pens in last years series with ottawa ?
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • inmyrvm wrote:
    he very shakily won 40 last year. he got worse this year. i love him not playing because that means i don't scream at the t.v. constantly. he is more fragile than a vase. i hope he comes back and does not suck. if he does, let his ass go. conks will take us all the way. but let's not get too cocky. i don't wanna sound like a boston fan.

I have a feeling if fleury comes back and sucks, then he is the guy we trade so we can resign hossa. I'd be cool with that.
    I don't like his history of losing throughout his career. To sign hossa we have to trade somebody not named crosby, malkin, or staal.
    So its either fleury or gonchar.
    I have a feeling if fleury comes back and sucks, then he is the guy we trade so we can resign hossa. I'd be cool with that.
    I don't like his history of losing throughout his career. To sign hossa we have to trade somebody not named crosby, malkin, or staal.
    So its either fleury or gonchar.
    we don't have to trade anyone, we have plenty of cap room. look at the roster and some of the guys you know won't be back. we will be ok. if they give fleury anything over 3 million (which is still too much) they are nuts. he is not our goalie of the future. hopefully roberts can make it back for the playoffs. i would say he was our best player against the sens last year..

inmyrvm wrote:
    we don't have to trade anyone, we have plenty of cap room. look at the roster and some of the guys you know won't be back. we will be ok. if they give fleury anything over 3 million (which is still too much) they are nuts. he is not our goalie of the future. hopefully roberts can make it back for the playoffs. i would say he was our best player against the sens last year..

This is from TSN's Bob McKenzie:

"Can we reasonably expect that Hossa is going to sign with the Penguins? Does anybody think that Hossa will sign long-term in Pittsburgh? They've got Malkin coming up in a year and change. Jordan Staal is coming out of entry level in a little while. They've already got the Sidney Crosby deal. They've got a lot of young players that are going to be commanding a lot of money and Hossa could be looking for eight, nine, or ten million dollars."

Although this sounds more like a "long term" scenario, like 2+ year signing. They might be able to sign him for next year without further changes if you take the cup.
  • Rygar wrote:
    This is from TSN's Bob McKenzie:

"Can we reasonably expect that Hossa is going to sign with the Penguins? Does anybody think that Hossa will sign long-term in Pittsburgh? They've got Malkin coming up in a year and change. Jordan Staal is coming out of entry level in a little while. They've already got the Sidney Crosby deal. They've got a lot of young players that are going to be commanding a lot of money and Hossa could be looking for eight, nine, or ten million dollars."

Although this sounds more like a "long term" scenario, like 2+ year signing. They might be able to sign him for next year without further changes if you take the cup.

That's kinda what I am thinking.... They still have next season with Malkin at his entry level contract salary.

He's not having a great year statistically as a contract year... If you were Hossa or his agent, would you take a little less for a one year deal to stay with a team who will even be a stronger cup contender next year, and play on a line with Crosby where you probably should score 50+ goals, play in a market with less media scrutiny, and go into the summer of 2009 as probably the premier UFA goal scoring winger... or sign with someone this year for long-term guaranteed (but less) money?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    no one will get more than sid to play in pittsburgh, period. if hossa thinks he's worth 8-10 a year he's nuts. 6 tops. i'm sure someone is dumb enough to give him that kind of money though.

inmyrvm wrote:
    no one will get more than sid to play in pittsburgh, period. if hossa thinks he's worth 8-10 a year he's nuts. 6 tops. i'm sure someone is dumb enough to give him that kind of money though.
    The team centers around Crosby, so no, no one will be getting more than him. The point is that Hossa, as far as the 2007-2008 season is concerned, is a rental. The Stanley Cup is within reach and they're going for it.
    Should be interesting to see how it pans out. They'll worry about the rest of it come summertime ;)
    That's kinda what I am thinking.... They still have next season with Malkin at his entry level contract salary.

He's not having a great year statistically as a contract year... If you were Hossa or his agent, would you take a little less for a one year deal to stay with a team who will even be a stronger cup contender next year, and play on a line with Crosby where you probably should score 50+ goals, play in a market with less media scrutiny, and go into the summer of 2009 as probably the premier UFA goal scoring winger... or sign with someone this year for long-term guaranteed (but less) money?
    That's what I meant. If you guys take the cup, or put up a convincing effort, I'd bet my left maple nut Hossa would sign for what the Pens could currently afford for another shot with the same team, instead of forcing them to either not resign him or make roster changes to accomodate his asking price.
  • That's kinda what I am thinking.... They still have next season with Malkin at his entry level contract salary.

They say Hossa's agent is a bloodsucker like scott boros in baseball. He'll go for every thing he can get next year. No penguins discount. Also Hossa dancing around the contract issue isn't a good sign.
  • They say Hossa's agent is a bloodsucker like scott boros in baseball. He'll go for every thing he can get next year. No penguins discount. Also Hossa dancing around the contract issue isn't a good sign.

What I was saying, from a money standpoint, it might be in Hossa's best interest to sign a one year deal, knowing that he can demand the top salary in 2009.

What do you expect Hossa to say? It's his first day with a new team, do you expect him to come out in the local media and ask for a new contract on day 1?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    shero would not have made this deal without talking contract already.

inmyrvm wrote:
    Here's the whole thing from TSN:

"Let's call a spade a spade.

This is an ownership deal. Mario Lemieux had to be involved in this.

Ray Shero is certainly the general manager and he's making the trades, and I'm not saying he didn't make this trade, but to take younger players that were under contract, and go out and get a rental.

Can we reasonably expect that Hossa is going to sign with the Penguins? Does anybody think that Hossa will sign long-term in Pittsburgh? They've got Malkin coming up in a year and change. Jordan Staal is coming out of entry level in a little while. They've already got the Sidney Crosby deal. They've got a lot of young players that are going to be commanding a lot of money and Hossa could be looking for eight, nine, or ten million dollars.

The Penguins think they can win the Stanley Cup, but that's an ownership decision. I can't imagine that Ray Shero would sit in the office and say, "I'm going to trade away our first round pick, Angelo Esposito, plus two guys like Armstrong and Christensen for a rental."

If you're out in the first round, is this a complete and utter failure? You've got to have ownwership blessing on a deal like this, and I've got to believe that this was driven in large part by Mario Lemieux and Sidney Crosby and the feeling of 'win it right now because we've got an opportunity to do that."
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Rygar wrote:

Ray Shero is certainly the general manager and he's making the trades, and I'm not saying he didn't make this trade, but to take younger players that were under contract, and go out and get a rental.

Can we reasonably expect that Hossa is going to sign with the Penguins? Does anybody think that Hossa will sign long-term in Pittsburgh? They've got Malkin coming up in a year and change. Jordan Staal is coming out of entry level in a little while. They've already got the Sidney Crosby deal. They've got a lot of young players that are going to be commanding a lot of money and Hossa could be looking for eight, nine, or ten million dollars.

The Penguins think they can win the Stanley Cup, but that's an ownership decision. I can't imagine that Ray Shero would sit in the office and say, "I'm going to trade away our first round pick, Angelo Esposito, plus two guys like Armstrong and Christensen for a rental."

If you're out in the first round, is this a complete and utter failure? You've got to have ownwership blessing on a deal like this, and I've got to believe that this was driven in large part by Mario Lemieux and Sidney Crosby and the feeling of 'win it right now because we've got an opportunity to do that."

That "win it now at the cost of the future" philosophy has doomed many a solid franchise...
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • chromiam wrote:
    That "win it now at the cost of the future" philosophy has doomed many a solid franchise...

That's for sure.....

We would know :(
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • inmyrvm wrote:

I don't see why people keep saying that... Even as a pure rental, it's a good deal if they go deep in the playoffs.

i could be wrong, but I can see both sides having the time to work out the basics of a contract for next year and beyond, and I can't really see what agent would talk salary numbers for next year without getting a feel for the free agent market.

The trade is a gamble, but I think a good one for the Pens...

And Shero definitely has some things in his corner when it comes to trying to resign Hossa, but I can't imagine that a deal is already in the works.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Rygar wrote:

I won't call it a failure. I don't think we gave up too much. Armstrong and EC are easily replaceable. I liked colby and his attitude but he's not the only character guy we have. The first rounder is going to be at the end of the round, and who knows what becomes of that. And esposito has a lot of issues. he could be good...i have my doubts.
    And look at it this way, now we don't have to sign esposito or the 1st round pick to a mega bucks contract.
    And we still have tons of good young guys either here or coming up in: crosby,malkin,staal,whitney,letang,fleury,goligoski,caputi,grant,stone,lannon., etc.
  • chromiam wrote:

What future did it really cost? A prospect who is falling in a lot of opinions and a low 1st rd pick? Most of the Pen's future is on the team now, and will be there for years and years to come.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    What future did it really cost? A prospect who is falling in a lot of opinions and a low 1st rd pick? Most of the Pen's future is on the team now, and will be there for years and years to come.
    bingo. i read somewhere a scout said esposito has the strength of a 14 year old. colby and ec are both replaceable. if mario wants hossa to stay he will. mario always gets his way.

• chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114

You say the future will be there for years to come but what guarantees that??? The only young player signed for an extended period is Crosby. Malkin will command a nice salary as will Hossa, if the Pens sign him and Staal at some point as well. I'm not saying its a bad trade but it is a bit of a gamble. You add a player who hasn't been great in the playoffs to a team who was playing well without their star player.
    It could all work out or Hossa could be a rental and then the real decision becomes does the organization move more youth for veteran players or not. If so then you start to become the Rangers where you retool every year through trades or free agency and never allow your farm system to truly develop talent.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • inmyrvm wrote:
    if mario wants hossa to stay he will. mario always gets his way.

That's funny, but seems to be true. I remember the Roberts deal last year with the no-trade clause... One of the first things he said when asked why he waived it for Pittsburgh, he said was "I got a phone call from Mario, and...." lol
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    chromiam wrote:
    If so then you start to become the Rangers where you retool every year through trades or free agency and never allow your farm system to truly develop talent.

not this year.

sometimes the best move you make is not making any move at all.
    :rolleyes:

:D

Lets Go Rangers
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life