The 2008 Philadelphia Phillies

Comments

• Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    still think we are kind of slim with pitching. lets see if lidge stays healthy (not a good sign when your big off season pick up is on crutches in his press conference). myers back in the rotation is a plus, though he didnt want to be moved back there and i think people forget he has never won more than 12 games as a starter. he's not an ace. in fact i thought he was a little over rated as a starter and got off to an awful start before being moved to the penn last year.

The Phillies will never say this, but a big part of the reason they moved Myers to the rotation is his salary.

At 5 mil, he was around average for closers last year.

This year at 8.5 mil he would be around 5-8th in salary for closers and next year when he makes 12 mil he would have been the 2nd highest paid closer in the game.

Myers was good as a closer, but he wasn't an elite closer and the Phils still work on a set budget so his salary is a better value for the team as a starter than as a closer.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Carlos Beltran walked into Mets camp on Saturday, took a seat on the dugout bench and said exactly what was on his mind.
    "To Jimmy Rollins: We are the team to beat."

It was unprompted, unscripted and completely unexpected. But with those nine words, Beltran instantly renewed his team's rivalry with the Phillies and assumed a new level of leadership with the Mets. The usually quiet and reserved center fielder, perhaps emboldened by his team's offseason acquisition of Johan Santana, stepped out of character -- and there's no reversing that now.

"Let me tell you this," Beltran said. "Without Santana, we felt, as a team, that we had a chance to win in our division. With him now, I have no doubt that we're going to win in our division. I have no doubt in that. We've got what it takes."

The statement was as much a product of his own confidence as it was a response to Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins, who last winter proclaimed that his team was the one to beat -- and then backed it up on the field.

Perhaps the greatest surprise was that Beltran, and not some other Met, made the statement. Normally quiet and unassuming off the field, Beltran has managed to mostly avoid the spotlight during his first three years in New York.

Now, that won't be so easy.

"It takes a special person to be able to do that," closer Billy Wagner said. "Now you have to lead. You have to stand there and take the punches in the bad games, and you have to be there to answer the questions and deal with it."

Beltran knows it, too. Minutes after making his comments -- in response to a question regarding his thoughts on Santana -- he acknowledged that he's now bound to become a popular enemy in Philadelphia.

"I don't care," Beltran said. "They boo me in Houston. One more city won't make a difference."

Rollins became a target in New York last season even before the Phillies and Mets first met -- and even before he made a critical fielding error during the home opener at Shea, which sent Mets fans into something of a frenzy. Then he spent the rest of the summer silencing those same fans, winning the National League Most Valuable Player Award while leading his Phillies to the NL East title.

News and features:

• Beltran to Rollins: 'We're team to beat'
    • Randolph looking ahead to new season
    • Mets notes: El Duque confident in starting
    • Pedro, Johan get things started
    • Mets notes: Schoeneweis clears the air
    • Sanchez set to play pivotal role for Mets
    Multimedia:

• Randolph ready to move forward 400K
    • Pedro on Johan's arrival 400K
    • Mets voice Coleman from camp 400K
    • Maine from Florida 400K
    • Ed Coleman on Santana's impact 400K
    • Reynolds: Great trade for Mets 400K
    Spring Training info:
    • MLB.com coverage | Schedule | Ballpark | Tickets

Yet Rollins, unlike Beltran, was already a vocal leader of his team. The Mets went largely without a similar voice last season -- perhaps until now. And while Beltran's teammates may agree with his prediction, they're not about to state it so boldly.

"There's no use in us showing up if we don't believe that we are that type of team," Wagner said. "For me, I don't think I would ever go out and say it just because I believe in going out there on the field and doing it, but hey, you know what? He's my teammate. I got his back."

"We have inner confidence," third baseman David Wright said. "You're not going to find anyone in here who doesn't think we're going to win the National League East. But different guys have different motivations or ways to pump up their team."

Still, Wright disagreed in principle, saying that because they won last year, the Phillies remain the team to beat. Maybe the Mets have improved on paper, but they haven't yet proved it on the field. Not until September can they truly prove their point.

"I've said all along, I have the utmost confidence in this team to win," Wright said. "But just personally, I don't feel the need to declare anything. Talk is cheap when you're talking about February."

Manager Willie Randolph simply laughed at the comments, attributing them to Beltran's first child, four-month-old Ivana.

"I guess when you have a little baby girl," Randolph said, "it gives you confidence."

Now Beltran must be confident, whether he wants to or not. He directed his boldness at a player who's already plenty bold himself, and in doing so stamped a sizeable target on his back.

There's a chance he'll again fade into the background, just as there's a chance this new outspoken Beltran is here to stay. Either way, on Saturday, he ramped one of the NL's most impassioned rivalries to a new level of contention.

Anthony DiComo is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

print this page | e-mail this page
    Sphere Related Articles & Blogs

so not original i think i heard this last year from an MVP
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,632
    it tis go time.
    PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Carlos Beltran walked into Mets camp on Saturday, took a seat on the dugout bench and said exactly what was on his mind.
    "To Jimmy Rollins: We are the team to beat."

It was unprompted, unscripted and completely unexpected. But with those nine words, Beltran instantly renewed his team's rivalry with the Phillies and assumed a new level of leadership with the Mets. The usually quiet and reserved center fielder, perhaps emboldened by his team's offseason acquisition of Johan Santana, stepped out of character -- and there's no reversing that now.

"Let me tell you this," Beltran said. "Without Santana, we felt, as a team, that we had a chance to win in our division. With him now, I have no doubt that we're going to win in our division. I have no doubt in that. We've got what it takes."

The statement was as much a product of his own confidence as it was a response to Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins, who last winter proclaimed that his team was the one to beat -- and then backed it up on the field.

Perhaps the greatest surprise was that Beltran, and not some other Met, made the statement. Normally quiet and unassuming off the field, Beltran has managed to mostly avoid the spotlight during his first three years in New York.

Now, that won't be so easy.

"It takes a special person to be able to do that," closer Billy Wagner said. "Now you have to lead. You have to stand there and take the punches in the bad games, and you have to be there to answer the questions and deal with it."

Beltran knows it, too. Minutes after making his comments -- in response to a question regarding his thoughts on Santana -- he acknowledged that he's now bound to become a popular enemy in Philadelphia.

"I don't care," Beltran said. "They boo me in Houston. One more city won't make a difference."

Rollins became a target in New York last season even before the Phillies and Mets first met -- and even before he made a critical fielding error during the home opener at Shea, which sent Mets fans into something of a frenzy. Then he spent the rest of the summer silencing those same fans, winning the National League Most Valuable Player Award while leading his Phillies to the NL East title.

News and features:

• Beltran to Rollins: 'We're team to beat'
    • Randolph looking ahead to new season
    • Mets notes: El Duque confident in starting
    • Pedro, Johan get things started
    • Mets notes: Schoeneweis clears the air
    • Sanchez set to play pivotal role for Mets
    Multimedia:

• Randolph ready to move forward 400K
    • Pedro on Johan's arrival 400K
    • Mets voice Coleman from camp 400K
    • Maine from Florida 400K
    • Ed Coleman on Santana's impact 400K
    • Reynolds: Great trade for Mets 400K
    Spring Training info:

Yet Rollins, unlike Beltran, was already a vocal leader of his team. The Mets went largely without a similar voice last season -- perhaps until now. And while Beltran's teammates may agree with his prediction, they're not about to state it so boldly.

"There's no use in us showing up if we don't believe that we are that type of team," Wagner said. "For me, I don't think I would ever go out and say it just because I believe in going out there on the field and doing it, but hey, you know what? He's my teammate. I got his back."

"We have inner confidence," third baseman David Wright said. "You're not going to find anyone in here who doesn't think we're going to win the National League East. But different guys have different motivations or ways to pump up their team."

Still, Wright disagreed in principle, saying that because they won last year, the Phillies remain the team to beat. Maybe the Mets have improved on paper, but they haven't yet proved it on the field. Not until September can they truly prove their point.

"I've said all along, I have the utmost confidence in this team to win," Wright said. "But just personally, I don't feel the need to declare anything. Talk is cheap when you're talking about February."

Manager Willie Randolph simply laughed at the comments, attributing them to Beltran's first child, four-month-old Ivana.

"I guess when you have a little baby girl," Randolph said, "it gives you confidence."

Now Beltran must be confident, whether he wants to or not. He directed his boldness at a player who's already plenty bold himself, and in doing so stamped a sizeable target on his back.

There's a chance he'll again fade into the background, just as there's a chance this new outspoken Beltran is here to stay. Either way, on Saturday, he ramped one of the NL's most impassioned rivalries to a new level of contention.

Anthony DiComo is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

so not original i think i heard this last year from an MVP
    www.myspace.com
  • CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Kyle Kendrick really had no chance.
    The second-year rookie became the victim of an elaborate practical joke pulled off expertly by those in Kendrick's circle of trust, though that ring has been broken.

After the Phillies' workout on Saturday, Ruben Amaro Jr. summoned Kendrick into manager Charlie Manuel's office at Bright House Networks Field. With a straight face, the assistant general manager told his gullible pitcher that he'd been dealt to the Yomiuri Giants of the Japanese Central League for a player named "Kobayashi Iwamura."

Presented with a letter printed on Phillies stationery with official-sounding language, Kendrick was convinced of the "deal," and given an itinerary of things he must do so the swap could be completed, supplied by traveling secretary Frank Coppenbarger.

Manuel assisted with the rouse by offering advice, since he made a career in the Far East. Kendrick's agent, Joe Urbon, who also represents Japanese import Hiroki Kuroda, gets credit by confirming the deal when he received the stunned phone call from his client.

The media (who were clued in) played a part as well, asking Kendrick questions about being traded halfway around the world. The shell-shocked 23-year-old stammered through most of his answers, not knowing what to say."

"Do they have good food in Japan?" Kendrick asked reporters, as the first words out of his mouth. "I don't know what to think right now. I guess it's going to be a whole new chapter, huh?"

Eventually, as a crowd gathered to watch the proceedings, the joke's originator, Brett Myers, chimed in, "You've been punk'd."

Breathing a huge sigh of relief, Kendrick said, "I've never been so happy. Seriously. Wow. I was not going on that flight in the morning."

So surprised and trusting of those in his life, Kendrick actually believed that he was traded to Japan, despite the fact that it's prohibited. The clubhouse erupted in laughter when Myers let his fish off the hook.

"I wanted to cry," Kendrick said. "I'm going to call my agent and tell him he's fired. I'm pretty gullible. I trust people, maybe a little too much. I thought it was real. The itinerary was in there, the contract and everything. Then, the media was in on it, I thought, 'I guess this is happening.'"

News and features:

• Phils notes: Club guarded in Beltran talk
    • Kendrick target of elaborate prank
    • Phils notes: Benson taking baby steps
    • Howard's mood, body lighter
    • Phils notes: Dobbs not down on bench
    • Phillies 'relaxed' as they arrive at camp
    Multimedia:

• Howard gets an early start 400K
    • Kendrick on his first big league camp 400K
    • Outman on big opportunity 400K
    • First day of Phillies camp 400K
    • Manuel talks to MLB.com 400K
    • Savery reports from Spring Training 400K
    Spring Training info:

Asked if he was planning retribution for Myers -- and he'd likely receive plenty of unsolicited ideas and assistance -- Kendrick smiled and said, "I don't think I can get him that good."

Myers better watch out.

"You'll be on TV," Myers yelled, as Kendrick patted his chest. "You're on candid camera, son."

He will because cameras stalked Kendrick to record the joke, chronicling the reaction. Veteran members of the organization recalled a similar prank being orchestrated on former first-round pick Wayne Gomes by convicted practical joker Larry Andersen.

The gag got many players recalling moments in their careers that made them less than proud. Manuel, who has been on either side of such frivolity, was impressed by the scope of this one.

"He definitely was worried," Manuel said. "I asked him if he wanted to talk to me. He said, 'Not now. I don't know what to say.'"

Manuel wanted to take it a step further.

"I would have loved to see him fly to Japan and get off the plane," Manuel said. "That would have been the best. As a matter of fact, I would have paid his fare."

A full clubhouse howled in delight at Kendrick, likely happy that they were spared, and chided him long after the joke had ended. Shane Victorino called him "Mr. Baseball," a reference to the Tom Selleck film in which a player has his contract sold to Japan.

Ryan Howard, who once wore a dress as part of a rookie hazing, simply shook his head at the spectacle.

"Nobody's safe," he said. "Nobody."

Ken Mandel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Jump to MLB Sites MLB.com Angels Astros Athletics Blue Jays Braves Brewers Cardinals Cubs Diamondbacks Dodgers Giants Indians Mariners Marlins Mets Nationals Orioles Padres Phillies Pirates Rays Rangers Red Sox Reds Rockies Royals Tigers Twins White Sox YankeesSearch Entire Site News 2008 News 2007 News 2006 Mobile Shop Team Ballpark Official Info for Search Tips

E-mail Register | Log In Help | Contact Us Official Info Affiliates Jobs Phillies Tickets

© 2001-2008 MLB Advanced Media, L.P. All rights reserved.

The following are trademarks or service marks of Major League Baseball entities and may be used only with permission of Major League Baseball Properties, Inc. or the relevant Major League Baseball entity: Major League, Major League Baseball, MLB, the silhouetted batter logo, World Series, National League, American League, Division Series, League Championship Series, All-Star Game, and the names, nicknames, logos, uniform designs, color combinations, and slogans designating the Major League Baseball clubs
    Go Birds!!!!
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    When Charlie and Ruben first told Kyle, it looked like he was gonna cry.

Myers is an ass: "Does the guy throw hard, does he have a good sinker"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0nKKqPOiJxI
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,632
    booomm11 wrote:
    Myers is an ass:

yea..........he also beats his wife.
    www.myspace.com
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Well looks like Howard is going to get his money.... hope he performs like a $10mil player this year.

And I got my tickets for the 1st Mets series in April.... Sunday 8PM, plenty of time to tailgate and get nice and lit :D
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • chromiam wrote:
    Well looks like Howard is going to get his money.... hope he performs like a $10mil player this year.

And I got my tickets for the 1st Mets series in April.... Sunday 8PM, plenty of time to tailgate and get nice and lit :D
    I heard his agent said that when he signs a contract they will be looking for at least 20mil a yr. u all know the phills better not be cheap like they are now.
    Go Birds!!!!
    I heard his agent said that when he signs a contract they will be looking for at least 20mil a yr. u all know the phills better not be cheap like they are now.

I'll say it right now... Ryan Howard is not worth $20 mil/year!!
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

chromiam wrote:
    I'll say it right now... Ryan Howard is not worth $20 mil/year!!

When did it jump from 10 to 20mil?
  • booomm11 wrote:
    When did it jump from 10 to 20mil?
    no 10 mil is what he got. But his agent supposedly said that if they were to start talking about an actual long term deal then 20 a yr would be what they would want. Ken rosenthal said it yesterday night i heard.
    Go Birds!!!!
    no 10 mil is what he got. But his agent supposedly said that if they were to start talking about an actual long term deal then 20 a yr would be what they would want. Ken rosenthal said it yesterday night i heard.

Ok, I thought howard and his agent were lookin for a deal worth 10mil a year to avoid the arbitration hearing. Howard deserves more cash for sure, but 20mil per...........ouch. He'll be a yankee in 2012
  • booomm11 wrote:
    Ok, I thought howard and his agent were lookin for a deal worth 10mil a year to avoid the arbitration hearing. Howard deserves more cash for sure, but 20mil per...........ouch. He'll be a yankee in 2012

I'm a huge fan of Ryan Howard, but if he's asking for $20M, that's way too much. That's a lot of dough to pay for a guy who will lead the league in striking out for the majority of his career. The Phils will never pay that kind of money anyway. And for that money, they could get a couple of aces on the mound. Something they need the most! I like Cole Hamels, and Kendrick is looking like he may have some stuff, but I'm just not sold on the hype that is the rest of their rotation. And Brad Lidge kinda worries me now that he's getting knee surgery. How long is he really going to be out?

OK, I may be a bit negative on my Phils, but I'm stoked for this season. Just stay healthy, guys! I think the Mets are actually the team to beat (and don't count on a choke like that again). Picking up Johan Santana -- ouch!
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • edpearson wrote:
    I'm a huge fan of Ryan Howard, but if he's asking for $20M, that's way too much. That's a lot of dough to pay for a guy who will lead the league in striking out for the majority of his career. The Phils will never pay that kind of money anyway. And for that money, they could get a couple of aces on the mound. Something they need the most! I like Cole Hamels, and Kendrick is looking like he may have some stuff, but I'm just not sold on the hype that is the rest of their rotation. And Brad Lidge kinda worries me now that he's getting knee surgery. How long is he really going to be out?

OK, I may be a bit negative on my Phils, but I'm stoked for this season. Just stay healthy, guys! I think the Mets are actually the team to beat (and don't count on a choke like that again). Picking up Johan Santana -- ouch!
    Lets go PHILS!
    Go Birds!!!!
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    lets go starting pitching lets go
    Go Birds!!!!
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    lets go starting pitching lets go

Looks like Benson is a lock to make the 40-man roster. Hopefully he'll be ready to join the rotation by late April. Eaton is absolutely pathetic.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I heard on the radio Lohse can be had for $4mil a year

Sickening Eaton is making $8mil a year !
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    season starts tomorrow can't wait
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,451
    Opening Day and Phils getting no respect from the media. Everyone picking the Mets or the Braves. Phils bring it home again with offense baby. Chase Utley MVP - 3rd in a row for the Phils! Hamels wins 20, Myers wins 18 - this is our year.
  • satansbedbugssatansbedbugs Posts: 2,412
    pjhawks wrote:
    Opening Day and Phils getting no respect from the media. Everyone picking the Mets or the Braves. Phils bring it home again with offense baby. Chase Utley MVP - 3rd in a row for the Phils! Hamels wins 20, Myers wins 18 - this is our year.

LETS GO PHILS........
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016, 2024
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022, 2023
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    Baltimore- 2024
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016 (night 2) , 2024 (night1)
    East Rutherford, New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - Lollapalooza 2007
    Seattle- Gorge 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
    Heading down tonight to eat some $1 dogs, and watch Hamels right the ship from Monday.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
    PJSerf wrote:
    Heading down tonight to eat some $1 dogs, and watch Hamels right the ship from Monday.

Hamels better get it done this year, if he want's that new contract he's been crying about.

Why did they take Romero out on Monday?
    booomm11 wrote:
    Hamels better get it done this year, if he want's that new contract he's been crying about.

I would like to believe that Manuel did it to show the front office that he's screwed if Lidge doesn't come back healthy. However, I don't think Manuel is that clever.

The 1st game of the season, you shouldn't have to rely on Romero to pitch 2 innings. You should have enough faith in the rest of your bullpen to finish out the job.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    booomm11 wrote:

Manuel often manages right by the proverbial "book." The "book" calls for a manager to pitch his closer if at home in a tie game in the top of the 9th because there will not be a chance for a save later in the game.

So that's why Romero was lifted for Gordon.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    For those who might have missed it...

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=279783

Admin

chromiam wrote:

I love it. If only it were this easy.
    chromiam wrote:

haha...i'm suprised he got some buyers.
    Solat13 wrote:
    Manuel often manages right by the proverbial "book." The "book" calls for a manager to pitch his closer if at home in a tie game in the top of the 9th because there will not be a chance for a save later in the game.

So that's why Romero was lifted for Gordon.

yea rip that page up! Stick with the guy who got u 3 easy outs.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    chromiam wrote:

Awesome !
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Cole Hamels is gonna win the Cy YOUNg and Pat the Bat is ripping and tearing. LETS GO PHILLIES
    Go Birds!!!!