The 2008 Philadelphia Phillies

jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
This is the year where our boys take it to the next level. Some good additions in the offseason. As long as we don't piss howard off and we stay healthy a deep run in october is very possible. CHASE UTLEY FOR MVP COLE HAMELS FOR CY YOUNG. LETS GO PHILLIES.
Go Birds!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    15 days till pitchers and catchers.

Besides yesterday's deal, not much improvement by the Braves/Mets in the offseason. Brian Schneider/Ryan Church don't really scare me. I like the Phils' chances to defend the NL East. My early prediction is 95 wins.

I think the Santana deal just adds another level to the Phils/Mets rivalry. It makes it more exciting.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    PJSerf wrote:

Besides yesterday's deal, not much improvement by the Braves/Mets in the offseason. Brian Schneider/Ryan Church don't really scare me. I like the Phils' chances to defend the NL East. My early prediction is 95 wins.

I think the Santana deal just adds another level to the Phils/Mets rivalry. It makes it more exciting.

santana in a pitchers park like shea??

that could change the balance

potental 20 wins w/ 1.90 era

then again i could care less lol
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,715
    PJSerf wrote:

I think it'll make it one sided. The Mets are gonna lock the NL East up in August.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    As a Braves fan, I am not too excited about any of the moves they made, although I dont think they hurt themselves. That said, I think this Santana deal drops the Phils to 2nd and the Mets SHOULD, and I use that loosley, roll!!
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
    Poncier wrote:
    I think it'll make it one sided. The Mets are gonna lock the NL East up in August.

Much like they had it locked up in August last year.

Santana will get you 20+ wins. However, that'll be offset by an aging Pedro & El Duque. I'm assuming Perez or Pelfrey will now be the odd man out.

The Phillies are still the team to beat in the NL, in my biased opinion. You have the last two reigning MVPs in the lineup, Burrell in a contract year, Brett Myers coming back to the rotation, and some decent off-season pickups (Lidge, Jenkins, & Feliz). (At least compared to last year's pickups of Helms, Garcia, & Barajas)

This deal does make the Mets a lot better, but does not guarantee them an NL East title by far.

When was the last time the Mets beat the Phils? Last count I think we've won 8 in a row.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    PJSerf wrote:

Has it really been a rivalry? In recent history the Phils have finished ahead of the Mets every year except 1 since 2001?

The Mets have been playing catchup to the Phils for awhile now. ;)
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    As a Braves fan, I am not too excited about any of the moves they made, although I dont think they hurt themselves. That said, I think this Santana deal drops the Phils to 2nd and the Mets SHOULD, and I use that loosley, roll!!

They didn't really make any major moves this offseaon, but the Texeira deal should not be forgotten. He will continue to be huge in the middle of the lineup. The only thing the Braves really needed to address was CF, and they did not want to spend big bucks on a CF because they have a stud in Schafer on his way up. I like the team the Braves will be putting on the field this summer.
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I'm so excited about this year's Phillies.

But then, I'm always this way come February when I'm absolutely jonesing for baseball.

It should be an interesting season. I think if the Phillies can get off to a good start, they'll have no problem with winning the division again.

It's that bad season start and playing catch up the rest of the year that always seems to drain everything out of them.

I've already got my name in the lottery for opening day and Red Sox tickets.

GO PHILLIES!
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    glb wrote:
    They didn't really make any major moves this offseaon, but the Texeira deal should not be forgotten. He will continue to be huge in the middle of the lineup. The only thing the Braves really needed to address was CF, and they did not want to spend big bucks on a CF because they have a stud in Schafer on his way up. I like the team the Braves will be putting on the field this summer.

I didnt include Tex as I figured they already had him locked up(imho)....As for the cf...No way to replce Andruw no matter who you bring in, and I think that will be a problem this season. I also dont think we addressed the pitching issues well enough. Bringing Glavine back only gets about 10-12 wins(and he is getting old, so an injury could happen) Same with Smoltz...That elbow has to hold up and no one knows about the lefty who shall not be named so as not to jinx him, and then the bullpen has been suspect for YEARS!! I like the lineup as you said day in day out, but I am not sure they can play with the Phils or the Mets this year.
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    I didnt include Tex as I figured they already had him locked up(imho)....As for the cf...No way to replce Andruw no matter who you bring in, and I think that will be a problem this season. I also dont think we addressed the pitching issues well enough. Bringing Glavine back only gets about 10-12 wins(and he is getting old, so an injury could happen) Same with Smoltz...That elbow has to hold up and no one knows about the lefty who shall not be named so as not to jinx him, and then the bullpen has been suspect for YEARS!! I like the lineup as you said day in day out, but I am not sure they can play with the Phils or the Mets this year.

God I hope they can sign Tex at the end of the season. I agree we do have some question marks in the starting rotation, but we do have depth. We have 3 guys that can fill in the #5 spot. The bullpen is the strongest it's been in years though. Especially if Gonzo comes back healthy, but even if he doesn't, our bullpen should be solid I think. The phils and mets teams do look good. We will need one or two young arms to step it up. Getting rid of Andruw's strike outs in the middle of the order will not be a bad thing though. Guess I'll be hoping for some classic Bravos magic. :D
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    PJSerf wrote:

6 1/2 hours till my pool team beats yours lol
    Go Birds!!!!
    6 1/2 hours till my pool team beats yours lol

Damn, unfortunately, I won't be there tonight. Working in NY today, (well, kind of working) and have a dinner meeting tonight. But good luck nonetheless, I'm sure I'll be getting the updates from my team.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Feliz is official sweet!
    Go Birds!!!!
    Feliz is official sweet!

Very sweet. Much like our victory last night! Just kidding.

So, rumor has it the Mets are also after Lohse now. I think the Phils need to buck up and get him, I'll take him in 4th or 5th spot over Eaton.
  • phillyfanphillyfan Posts: 831
    lets go fightin phills!!
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    This is the year where our boys take it to the next level. Some good additions in the offseason. As long as we don't piss howard off and we stay healthy a deep run in october is very possible. CHASE UTLEY FOR MVP COLE HAMELS FOR CY YOUNG. LETS GO PHILLIES.
    yea imagine what the sox would have did to philly LOL
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • I think the Phillies have a tough task ahead of them trying to beat out New York again. even before they acquired Johan Santana. but win or lose, we know they'll be fightin'
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    santana in a pitchers park like shea??

that could change the balance

potental 20 wins w/ 1.90 era

then again i could care less lol
    wasnt he 5-11 last 16 or something?

i smell kevin brown j/k
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
    NY is going to be a lot different than Minnesota. Hope Santana is ready for the pressure. It appears Beltran wasn't.

I'm still not worried about the Mets, are starting 8 are much better than theirs. They lost offense out of the catcher position, Delgado & Alou aren't getting any younger. I think last year showed who has the better shortstop. They have two good young arms in Maine and Perez, but we've got Kendrick and Cole. Granted I would love someone else in our 5th spot in the rotation. Rumor has it the Phils are still looking at Lohse & Kris Benson. Lohse is a definite upgrade, Benson could be one too.

Either way, can't wait for Opening Day.
  • We signed Kris Benson today to a minor league deal
    Go Birds!!!!
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    Everyone's rockin these down in Clearwater!!

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillies/?imageId=6675947

on the back it says: WINNING STARTS NOW
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • im ready
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • booomm11 wrote:

Is that a REAL shirt ??

Funny
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • booomm11 wrote:

saw that yesterday even uncle charlie is rockin one lol. Go PHILLS
    Go Birds!!!!
    saw that yesterday even uncle charlie is rockin one lol. Go PHILLS

Did they say who's idea it was?
  • booomm11 wrote:
    Did they say who's idea it was?
    just heard chase utley made them, pat had no idea until today. he walked in after 2 days and was stunned to see them in every locker. This team has a locker room bond like 93 almost, can't wait for the season.
    Go Birds!!!!
    just heard chase utley made them, pat had no idea until today. he walked in after 2 days and was stunned to see them in every locker. This team has a locker room bond like 93 almost, can't wait for the season.

that's crazy, i thought for sure Shane would have been the mastermind behind that one. I agree 100%, a lot of great personalities in that clubhouse.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,632
    we are marginally better than last year. if there was any year to go out and make a big splash it was this offseason. ownership made tons and tons of $$$$ last year. and they still treated the offseason like the bottom feeders we are. that said, the moves we made were decent.

feliz at 3rd is an upgrade. though i dont think he is all that great. i would be an upgrade over helmsy. and i have to think there is a reason he stayed available for 3 months. losing rowand will hurt--not only his production, but his leadership obviously. jenkins will hit some homers, play bad defense and strikeout a whole helluva lot. i like ruiz and coste behind the plate for a full season. nobody can be sure what to expect out of burrell. the fact that its a contract year for him should be a plus though.

still think we are kind of slim with pitching. lets see if lidge stays healthy (not a good sign when your big off season pick up is on crutches in his press conference). myers back in the rotation is a plus, though he didnt want to be moved back there and i think people forget he has never won more than 12 games as a starter. he's not an ace. in fact i thought he was a little over rated as a starter and got off to an awful start before being moved to the penn last year. hopefully cole will stay healthy (something he has never done). hopefully moyer will not show his age and pitch like he did in the 2nd half of last season (he is 45). hopefully kris benson gets healthy and beats out eaton so we dont have to deal with a 6.0 era in our rotation (i heard benson is struggling to get his fast ball in the mid 70's right now). and lets hope kyle kendrick doesnt have the same type of sophmore jinx as way too many phils pitchers of the past has had.

im excited for some phils baseball as i always am this time of the year. i just do not think our owners want to win a world series. they want to ring the cash register, have dollar dog nights, and sell us an alternate home jerseys while their asses get richer and richer and we win 85-90 games and battle for the wild card yet again.

go phils....but at the same time, i am just as excited to see what the birds do in the off season.
    www.myspace.com
  • we are marginally better than last year. if there was any year to go out and make a big splash it was this offseason. ownership made tons and tons of $$$$ last year. and they still treated the offseason like the bottom feeders we are. that said, the moves we made were decent.

feliz at 3rd is an upgrade. though i dont think he is all that great. i would be an upgrade over helmsy. and i have to think there is a reason he stayed available for 3 months. losing rowand will hurt--not only his production, but his leadership obviously. jenkins will hit some homers, play bad defense and strikeout a whole helluva lot. i like ruiz and coste behind the plate for a full season. nobody can be sure what to expect out of burrell. the fact that its a contract year for him should be a plus though.

still think we are kind of slim with pitching. lets see if lidge stays healthy (not a good sign when your big off season pick up is on crutches in his press conference). myers back in the rotation is a plus, though he didnt want to be moved back there and i think people forget he has never won more than 12 games as a starter. he's not an ace. in fact i thought he was a little over rated as a starter and got off to an awful start before being moved to the penn last year. hopefully cole will stay healthy (something he has never done). hopefully moyer will not show his age and pitch like he did in the 2nd half of last season (he is 45). hopefully kris benson gets healthy and beats out eaton so we dont have to deal with a 6.0 era in our rotation (i heard benson is struggling to get his fast ball in the mid 70's right now). and lets hope kyle kendrick doesnt have the same type of sophmore jinx as way too many phils pitchers of the past has had.

im excited for some phils baseball as i always am this time of the year. i just do not think our owners want to win a world series. they want to ring the cash register, have dollar dog nights, and sell us an alternate home jerseys while their asses get richer and richer and we win 85-90 games and battle for the wild card yet again.

go phils....but at the same time, i am just as excited to see what the birds do in the off season.
    But u gotta think hamels will be even better plus myers will have something to prove=+ kendrick moyer and eaton or benson=? the bullpen i like gordon(if healthy),romero,to lidge combo i love=+healthy madson i like,the rest not sure about=? Howard is already way far ahead from last year and he lost weight and he's got 10 million reasons to prove he's a beast.=+++ chase will be the MVP if healthy all yr=++ rollins nuff said=++ i like feliz alot better then helms/dobbs/nunez combo,he hit 20 some hr's in a huge ball park and no protection besides bonds. I think he has a shot at 30-100rbi this yr=+ ruiz and coste all yr i love=+ The reserves i like better this yr to=slight+ Pat the Bat in a contract yr i think is huge. I think he will but up big #'s because he really does love it here and really does love this team,(shane,chase howard,myers)=+ centerfield might be the biggiest drop off even though i like shane alot. Rowand will be missed in all aspects but shane will hold is own=- (kinda) RF i actually don't mind the combo of jenkins,werth. I would've rather shane there and rowand in center but=slight- So all that said i think we will be better and think the playoffs are happening again. The Muts pitching scares me but WE OWN THE MUTS. Go PHILS
    Go Birds!!!!
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    yawn...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013