Boston Red Sox

Comments

• I always like the Angels games. (Not just because I was at Fenway for Manny and ortiz's walk off blasts in the ALDS in 04 and 07.)

They are good games with 2 good managers, and always come down to the end. Of course the Sox suck on the West Coast, so I am expecting to take 1 of 3, hoping to take 2 of 3.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • down_skidown_ski Posts: 328
    I always like the Angels games. (Not just because I was at Fenway for Manny and ortiz's walk off blasts in the ALDS in 04 and 07.)

They are good games with 2 good managers, and always come down to the end. Of course the Sox suck on the West Coast, so I am expecting to take 1 of 3, hoping to take 2 of 3.

The Sox got destoryed in Tampa Bay? That west coast?

The Sox are higly overrated, and dont have nearly the team they did the past 3 years. I watched the Angels/Sox game today and all those fucking sports announcers would talk about was how "AMAZING" Beckett is, best pitcher in the league. He lost the game for the Red Sox.

I'm and Angles fan, but i'm not Biased. The Angels have a far better team, Better pitching, better defense and an excellent hitting strategy. They dont have all the power hitters the red sox do like Ortiz and Whoopi Goldberg, but they can wear pitchers out. So far the Sox are 1-4 vs the Angels. Soon to be 1-5.

The Red Sox ARE the new Yankees. Everyone will hate them, just a matter of time.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    down_ski wrote:
    The Sox got destoryed in Tampa Bay? That west coast?

The Sox are higly overrated, and dont have nearly the team they did the past 3 years. I watched the Angels/Sox game today and all those fucking sports announcers would talk about was how "AMAZING" Beckett is, best pitcher in the league. He lost the game for the Red Sox.

I'm and Angles fan, but i'm not Biased. The Angels have a far better team, Better pitching, better defense and an excellent hitting strategy. They dont have all the power hitters the red sox do like Ortiz and Whoopi Goldberg, but they can wear pitchers out. So far the Sox are 1-4 vs the Angels. Soon to be 1-5.

The Red Sox ARE the new Yankees. Everyone will hate them, just a matter of time.

Ain't that the truth, that's exactly what happens when you WIN every wants to hate ya. It's ALL GOOD I feel good just chilling in Vineyard Town, Martha's Vineyard surrounded my plenty of Red Sox fans. I'm home again and the Sox will be fine they never play well on the west coast.

The Angels Have Their problems but we shall see come September but until then I'll sip some wine by the beach under under this awesome full moon.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    :( just got swept over in Anaheim.they're terrible on the road...
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep Lol
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    you guys are still in third place. ;)
    LongRd. wrote:
    you guys are still in third place. ;)

AND CREEPING UP...... QUICKLY
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    AND CREEPING UP...... QUICKLY

The Rangers? 9.5 games behind the best team in the sport. Good luck! Same with the Mariners, no idea what happend to that franchise this year. But they are super shitty.

Seriously, I hate the Red Sox
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    down_ski wrote:
    The Rangers? 9.5 games behind the best team in the sport. Good luck! Same with the Mariners, no idea what happend to that franchise this year. But they are super shitty.

the rangers he roots for plays on ice not grass.

he is referring to the yankees that are only 2 short games back of boston in the loss column.

next weekend's series is huge.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    down_ski wrote:
    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you. ...

;)
    down_ski wrote:

You have the rights to hate and be bitter because Boston swept your Angels in the playoff last October and also swept in the 2004 division series.

Great 7-game World Series in 2002 by the way, glad you guys stopped bonds from getting a ring.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    NY PJ1 wrote:

Seems to me they're doing a tad bit better than the 200 mil Jankees. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• ahhhh what a beautiful sweep of the Sox by the Halos. I think this will be the ALCS and our pitching will be too dominant for you guys...

oh well at least you have the Celtics
    LongRd. wrote:
    You have the rights to hate and be bitter because Boston swept your Angels in the playoff last October and also swept in the 2004 division series.

Great 7-game World Series in 2002 by the way, glad you guys stopped bonds from getting a ring.

That brings up a good point man.

I hate Barry Bonds more than any MLB team. That bitch should be stripped of any MLB award/records/etc. He cheated, and he's such a cocky asshole about it! AGH!
  • Big series this weekend. Good pitching matchups as well. Should be interesting. Bump for THE rivalry.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
    u clowns are going downtown to chinatown
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    Big series this weekend. Good pitching matchups as well. Should be interesting. Bump for THE rivalry.

I think the Sox take 2 out of 3 this weekend. Beckett is 3-0 against the Yanks this year and Lester shut out the Yanks last time he faced them.

Funny how everyone raved about Hughes, Kennedy and Chamberlain in NY before the season while Lester has quietly started off his career at a 19-5 clip with a couple of shutouts, a no hitter, and winning the clinching game of the World Series and beating cancer at only 24. Kid is going to be a star in Fenway for years to come.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    This series is a crucial one for both teams. A sweep in either direction could prove fatal to the loser down the stretch. Papi should be back tonight. Hopefully Manny's knee is okay. Go Sox!
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    oh shit

the red SAHX got a thread too?

huh
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    BIG game tonight.
    Josh has to bring his A game today.
    Needs to set the tone for the series.
  • As Surviving Grady would say. Commander Kick Ass of the Fuck Yeah Brigade is gonna bring it tonight. (Josh Beckett)
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    wow... did anyone else witness joba out pitch beckett???????????????????????????????????
    wow... did anyone else witness joba out pitch beckett???????????????????????????????????

WOW SO QUIET IN HERE :) LOL
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    WOW SO QUIET IN HERE :) LOL
    I love it...but....shouldnt OUR thread be up there instead of this one???

I just wanna hear it again...how many games behind are we?
    :D
  • And now this. Spin this, Manny Apologists

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2008/07/26/now_hes_a_guaranteed_out/

The Red Sox have had it with Manny Ramírez.

Manny has punched his ticket out of town. It's over. O-VA. Adios, amigo. Good night, Irene. Turn out the lights. Last night's 1-0 loss to the Yankees (think they could have used Manny?) was the proverbial last worthless evening.

Ramírez sealed his fate with the club yesterday afternoon. After longtime enabler Terry Francona filled out a lineup card with Manny batting fourth, the Sox made an announcement that Manny could not play in the biggest game of the season. Seems there were problems with his right knee. Manny was a late scratch.

It was extraordinary. In the past, management and the manager would do handstands to excuse Manny's strange acts. No more. This time, the manager - apparently confident there's nothing wrong with the slugger - put Manny's name in the lineup, then sat and waited for Manny to pull himself out of the lineup. Manny complied. Never concerned with wins or losses, Manny told Brad Mills he was unable to play and took himself out of the batting order for the (thus far) biggest game of the season.

It was predictable. It was ridiculous. It was the last straw.

Former state treasurer Bob Crane happened by the EMC Club, pregame, and spoke for many fans when he said, "Manny's got to go. Enough's enough. Fans are finally sick of this guy."

The possibility exists that Manny truly has a sore right knee. No one can get inside the head of an athlete and evaluate game-readiness. If Manny's knee is killing him, there is no way for us to know, and we are wildly unfair to question his condition. I'm willing to take that chance. I don't believe him.

Call me a cynic. Call me a nitwit. Whatever. I'm comfortable with the theory that Manny is using his alleged knee injury to send a message to the ball club. We don't know why. We never know why. Manny shut it down in 2006 and he's toying with the Red Sox again. In the middle of a pennant race. It is despicable. And the front office and his teammates are burning. Off the record, of course.

Ramírez had an MRI yesterday and it was clean. This time, the Sox plan to do something about this situation. Soon.

Ramírez was in the throes of an 11-game hitting streak (.487, 11 for 39) when he showed up at Safeco Field in Seattle Wednesday and told Francona he could not play and could not pinch hit. It was odd.

For the first time since July 2005, when Manny insisted on taking a promised day off in Tampa even though Francona told him he was needed because the team was shorthanded, the manager made no effort to excuse his savant slugger. Francona said Ramírez's name had not appeared on the injury report and the injury took him by surprise.Continued...

In the old days, Tito would have talked about a day game after a night game and referenced Manny's multiple complaints about knee problems. There was none of that. The manager said Manny's knee injury came out of the blue. There was no history. It was just Manny being unavailable.

That's what happened yesterday. When the clubhouse doors were thrown open to the media at 3:30, Manny was sitting in front of his locker with an ice pack on his right knee. Despite this, his name was in the starting lineup and when Francona was asked about Manny just after 4 p.m., the manager said, "We told him, 'If you can't play, come tell us.' "

While Tito was speaking, Manny went to Francona's aide-de-camp, Mills, and said he was unable to play. The Sox revised their lineup and media members went to work deciphering the Manny Code.

At 4:36 p.m. owners John Henry and Tom Werner were standing behind the batting cage, blissfully unaware their star had bailed yet again. When they learned the hard news, they saw Francona emerge from the dugout.

"We'll go have a conversation," said Werner.

No one was saying much after the meeting.

"No comment," said Henry and Werner.

When Theo Epstein saw this typist approaching, notepad and pen in hand, the general manager put his Blackberry up to his ear.

"Veteran move," said Theo.

Something's got to give. The owners are mad. The manager is frustrated. The GM is frustrated. Teammates are angry. Even with sycophants who excuse everything, Manny may have finally exhausted his reservoir of goodwill. He quit on the team in 2006 and now it looks like he's quitting again. Is that OK with you, Red Sox Nation?

Manny's snit comes after he flattened 64-year-old traveling secretary Jack McCormick over a ticket allotment in Houston. It comes after he ripped ownership for allegedly lying to him in contract negotiations. It comes after he was rebuked by Henry. It comes after his giggle-fest when he played a popup into a triple while the Sox were being swept in Anaheim.

This might be a poor read of the tea leaves by Manny. He is not as valuable as he was. For $20 million (club option for 2009 and again in 2010) the ball club can expect to do better than .301 with 19 homers and 61 RBIs after 104 games. Stat geeks, take note: Manny's OPS is down the last two years. By a lot.

Sox management is at the end of its long rope. This has been an interesting and rewarding eight years, but Manny is acting out in a decidedly unflattering fashion. Red Sox owners have had enough. There will be meetings with the slugger in the next few days. Something has to happen.

The Yankees beat the Red Sox, 1-0, last night to close within one game of Boston in the loss column. It was supposed to be the magical night of the return of David Ortiz. Instead, it was another ridiculous night in Mannyland.

Stay tuned. The manager and the owners have had enough.

Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at dshaughnessy@globe.com.

© Copyright 2008 Globe Newspaper Company.
    no suprise....
    truth is Mannys from the Heights so he grew up a Yankee fan at heart. I honestly dont think he ever enjoyed palying for Boston. It was funny even when they won in 2004 he was giving shout out to his boys back in NY.

I expect to see him in pinstripes at some point b4 this is all said and done..maybe next yr?? Manny, Nady and Abreu in the outfield would be sick
  • nah, he's on the way down (still good obviously) and will be looking for more money, not less. That might have worked 5 years ago, when the Yankees got big on throwing too much money at declining players, but not now. Word around here is that Nady's arrival means the end for Abreu in pinstripes. They have Nady, Melky, Matsui, and Damon under control for next year, and Gardner is the real deal, even if he's not ready yet.
    nah, he's on the way down (still good obviously) and will be looking for more money, not less. That might have worked 5 years ago, when the Yankees got big on throwing too much money at declining players, but not now. Word around here is that Nady's arrival means the end for Abreu in pinstripes. They have Nady, Melky, Matsui, and Damon under control for next year, and Gardner is the real deal, even if he's not ready yet.
    damn. I know Abreu hasnt been great but he still got sumthing left in the tank man. I dunno anymore about Damon and Matsui. The inuries are piling up on them..will Godzilla ever be the same agin or is he just Gadzookie now?
    Thats why I figured if anything have Manny backup or DH. So you have Abreu, Nady, Melky, Gardner platoon and Manny
  • stickboy wrote:
    damn. I know Abreu hasnt been great but he still got sumthing left in the tank man. I dunno anymore about Damon and Matsui. The inuries are piling up on them..will Godzilla ever be the same agin or is he just Gadzookie now?
    Thats why I figured if anything have Manny backup or DH. So you have Abreu, Nady, Melky, Gardner platoon and Manny

I agree Matsui and Damon's best days are behind them, even though they were both playing great when they got hurt. I too like Abreu, but he's gonna want too long of a contract. cashman's big thing now is flexibilty. if Abreu would stay for a 1 0r 2 year deal, then he might stay. But it's probably his last contract, so he'll be looking for 3-4 years I'd guess

ETA: That's assuming cashman is resigned himself at the end of this year
    true...well I think Cash's fate rests on how far we go obviously. We make it to the Series, he should be back..if not then he might have probs with Mr. Hanky, lol