Boston Red Sox

Comments

• RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    fair enough the on field story is that the sox are sick nasty at hitting, and david ortiz has mysteriously got his bat speed back.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Ahh yes. One letter to the editor 4 years ago defines a region. Well done. :roll:

Listen, I'm from Mass, my graduating class in high school was about 500 and I could probably count on two hands the number of any minority that graduated with me. After living in San Francisco for 7 years, it's actually a culture shock to go back home with the overwhelming lack of diversity back there.

I've been in that ballpark more times than I can count. I'm not going to say this stuff never happens ... even today, I know it happens far more than any of us would want to admit. But three or four comments you hear in the stands doesn't define a region (and it certainly doesn't define the organization!) ... I'm guessing, judging by the many years you been on here with these claims and how gleeful you seem when posting them, that your radar is really up for these comments. But, how many instances of no one givng a rat's ass about race go by each and every time you're there and you don't pay one bit of attention to it? Are those few horrible instances going to paint the entire picture?

Just because some Yankees fan (whom, I really like) called one of the Sox players a "homo" on this very board a few days ago, am I going to paint the entire Yankees fanbase as a bunch of gay bashers? (The answer is no)

I whole heartedly agree that in some folks, tollerance is still lacking. But, I think the amount of ignorant lugnuts is far fewer than you think ... or certianly, far fewer than you portray it to be (which feels like the majority of Red Sox fans).

Maybe the next time something like this at the ballpark, you say something, polite, but say something. I guarantee the vast majority of folks will agree with you. It sure beats the hell out of coming on a music message board and stamping your seal of bigotry on the entirety of Red Sox fandom and the organization.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    Jimed I wrote this like an hour ago "that's the crazy part...like a large margin of you hate it, but a significant number doesn't care and that's what sucks." And...I do more than post on a message board...it's more venting after being around it for an entire weekend. My in-laws are great people most of the time but have a horrible attitude when it comes to this stuff...not the overt horrible, but the white upper-class underhanded comments kind.

I've worked with kids that go to the Red Sox and intern for their diversity department, and have led trips to the DR too (with many Sox fans on it) to see just what conditions many of their favorite players with different values come from. Yesterday was my first fathers day and I was with my family when I heard the Nyjer Morgan thing and didn't see that as an appropriate time to go light someone up, and getting into it at the hot dog line while my wife was waiting for her burger didn't seem right. Maybe next time I should though.
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    Racism? Shit. That´s been in sports from day 1 and everywhere. Including here in Guatemala.

Cases has been well documented and have been given alarm, all across europe. Spain, Italy, to name worst cases. And its always mostly against the black players. People chant in the stadium, during the game when a black player has the ball, like monkeys. I mean its not only one fan, its like hundreds! Still, we can´t judge the entire fanbase, club, or country, based on such horrible scenario.

One thing is for sure. The world is filled with racists. You can´t hide that shit. My dad has had experience with that, while living in Boston for like 20 something years. At work, in the street, everywhere. You can all talk with him about this. But don´t be surprised when he tells you how much he loves the city of Boston. And the red sox, for the matter.

Just like you should not discredit all Vancouver citizens for the recent acts of stupidity. We should, however, demand our local authorities to do something about it.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Hot Damn!!! :thumbup: :lol::clap: I'm loving me some "RED HOT RED SOX"!!!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,224
    care to guess how many runs the Red Sox have outscored opponents in the last 16 games?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Yeah I read it somewhere. Its like double, right?
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,224
    force-10 wrote:
    Yeah I read it somewhere. Its like double, right?

close, it's 70. 126-56.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    That´s outstanding.

But what´s even more outstanding? Gonzalez. As of today, he leads the majors in avg, total bases, rbi´s, doubles, and I don´t know what else.

I must admit I was not fond of his arrival to boston. But, damn! He has me in his pocket now!

MVP numbers, of course. The yankees might suggest Granderson, who´s having an unreal season as well. But Adrian´s is far better. The yankee has more HR, that´s about it. Adrian has 26 H more than granderson wich completely overshadows him in avg. Adrian´s avg is almost 23% higher. Plus granderson has 22 more strikeouts.

Bautista is the one closer to adrian right now, IMO.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,346
    force-10 wrote:
    I must admit I was not fond of his arrival to boston. But, damn! He has me in his pocket now!

It was a no brainer the whole time. He mashed in a horrible hitters park; there was no telling what he would do in Fenway. I imagine you guys will look back and be very happy you didn't get that overpaid Texeira.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    I am a partial season ticket holder for the sox and have seen close to 200 games at Fenway in my life. My seats are in the bleachers and I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone scream out the n-word. The worst I ever see/hear is profanity or the occasional brawl. I also lived in Boston for a while and the city really doesn't deserve the "racism" brand that is still stamped on it.

All cities have idiots though and Boston is no exception. However, these people don't represent the city, or the greater Boston area, as a whole.

Now back to kicking the Padres ass!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    jervin007 wrote:
    I am a partial season ticket holder for the sox and have seen close to 200 games at Fenway in my life. My seats are in the bleachers and I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone scream out the n-word. The worst I ever see/hear is profanity or the occasional brawl. I also lived in Boston for a while and the city really doesn't deserve the "racism" brand that is still stamped on it.

All cities have idiots though and Boston is no exception. However, these people don't represent the city, or the greater Boston area, as a whole.

Now back to kicking the Padres ass!
    Yes. Well said.

RW just likes stirring up shit because he's jealous
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Al_Sharpton.jpg
    www.myspace.com
    Juggler i went anti-al sharpton and didn't yell at anyone. i think he would have probably started a demonstration there or something. either way this whole thing came about because two people dropped N-bombs at Fenway Park on Sunday, and I basically said way to live up to your image boston or something to that effect. Jimed you are correct. I've been to like 40 games at Fenway since 2002 and have gone to games where relatively little happens outside of people getting drunk and fighting, and I've seen other games where groups of fans act like assholes (racism toward Asians was more evident in '07 when Matsuzaka signed). One of the most ridiculous times was at the home opener in '07 when this white guy was dressed in a Kimono outside the Cask 'N Flagon and went up to an Asian television crew bent over and kept saying "herro, herro" while all the smokers and people waiting outside died laughing. When I did my research and went to sports bars the same things happened. Many people were nice others were not. Part of the legacy of the Sox is that even if they change their personnel there is a large quantity of people who identified with that team when it was white, and it takes a long time to change that. I have called Boston racist in the past, and it still has issues, but I also said within this thread that many people hate it (like Jimed for one) - it just sucks that there's still a decent amount of people who think its ok to say that shit. That's different that arguing race has an impact in the way the media framed and people received LeBron and Vick in the past year (which is an arguable point).

Also, that comment was secondary to the fact that I said the Sox are playing ridiculous ball right now, and that I had never seen a team hit the ball so hard even on tough pitches. The Brewers announcers are still talking about the play Pedroia made in game one, and there were others that were pretty good as well throughout this past month. As my wife's cousin (a huge Sox fan) said at the game the Sox are going so good the two three word headlines that keep him up at night are "Random Drug Test", and "Hidden Camera Found". I'm not jealous of Boston or New England, I married into it for gods sakes. Being salty after watching the Brewers get smoked would be closer to the truth.
    "Can't we all just get along?" -- Rodney King
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527

thanks citing that. i don't think anyone had any idea where that quote originated from.
    :lol::mrgreen:
    www.myspace.com

thanks citing that. i don't think anyone had any idea where that quote originated from.
    :lol::mrgreen:
    Gotta cite those sources. This is what I'm taught.

In other news, here's a picture of squirrels playing poker
    card_playing_squirrel.jpg
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Those squirrels are of a dark complexion ... and you're portrayal of them in a run down shanty and gamlbing is quite the sterotyping! I am offended!

In other news, Josh Beckett has a bad case of the runs ...

BOSTON -- The invaluable Alfredo Aceves will again resurface in a starting role on Tuesday night, as ace Josh Beckett has been pushed back to a date to be announced because of illness.

What is Beckett dealing with?

"I fall back on intestinal turmoil," said manager Terry Francona said after the Red Sox's 14-5 win over the Padres. "To be honest with you, he hasn't felt good the last couple of days. He was going to go home and see if he felt better. The more we were thinking about it, before he got out of here, we said, 'You know what? This is silly. If you're that sick, you're kind of worried about pitching tomorrow.' I'm not sure how good he'd feel anyway. So we stayed away from Aceves [on Monday]."
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Willy Mo Pena just hit a home run for Arizona.
    First game in the majors since 2008.
    Despite the fact that we lost tonight, I was thoroughly entertained with tonight's game. From Ortiz' first steal in three years (of which Orsillo and Remy poked fun at him, saying he stops for lunch in between first and second) to Tito referring to Josh Beckett getting a bad case of the shits as "old-fashioned sick" (looking comical as ever), it was fun. Hey, they can't win em all. Also, loved the stat of Bob Stanley appearing in 673 games in a Red Sox uniform. Wakefield is nearly 100 behind. Bob Stanley, the Steamer. He looked great tonight helping to honor Pap's 200th save.
    Looks like Beckett's got a little more than just "the shits". Hope he's ok.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i heard PJ is playing Fenway.....any truth to that rumor. :P
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Only if Theo trades for Bronson Arroyo and allows him to be the opener. It is absolutely absurd to me that Arroyo is where he is because Theo heard him play Black in Spring Training or something.
    damn. take becket and clay out of the rotation and a 1-2 losing series against the padres is what you get. I know clay was supposed to pitch the game they won, but still. I think the red sox season depends on him, along with becket and lester. One of them on DL and we´re up for some deep shit. Wakefield might turn out the hero of the season for the sox. I hope so.

Miller showed great concentration, up until the homer, of course. So, I think the team is on shaky territory from now on. I am beginning to fear a sweep at philadelphia. Hope I´m wrong!
    This loss against the pirates was unexpected.

Becket will pitch against the phillies. Great news! edit: holy shit! against cliff lee!
    Just a crap showing by the offense tonight. Lester wasn't sharp at all.

But that stadium is really cool and I do enjoy interleague play.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,346
    force-10 wrote:
    damn. take becket and clay out of the rotation and a 1-2 losing series against the padres is what you get. I know clay was supposed to pitch the game they won, but still. I think the red sox season depends on him, along with becket and lester. One of them on DL and we´re up for some deep shit. Wakefield might turn out the hero of the season for the sox. I hope so.

Miller showed great concentration, up until the homer, of course. So, I think the team is on shaky territory from now on. I am beginning to fear a sweep at philadelphia. Hope I´m wrong!

You guys always take 2 of 3 in our ballpark.

Beckett vs Lee is pretty exciting. I'm going to the Lester v Worley game.

Buccos are tough this year...
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    can't even beat the Pirates without the DH...let's go rehd saawx. Stupid interleague.
    i kid apparently randy wolf is my only hope.
  • Suck!!!
    Memorial Stadium, Seattle - Jul 21 22, 1998
    Key Arena - Nov 05, 2000
    Gorge Amphitheater - Sep 01, 2005, Jul 22,23, 2006
    Key Arena - Sept 21,22, 2009
    Alpine Valley - Sept 3, 4 2011