Boston Red Sox

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Probably the least watched 1 hitter in history, great work though, Josh.

Fully admit, I didn't see one damn pitch.

It's nice that when hockey is over, not only is it mid-June but the Sox also have a 1.5 game lead.

So, the longest streak without winning a Championship for Boston sports ... The Patriots! Jan 2005.

Slackers. :lol:
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Only the 2nd game I didn't watch this season. I'm 65 for 67.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057

u need to get a life buddy :lol:

i kid i kid
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

u need to get a life buddy :lol:

i kid i kid
    That's what people tell me. Seriously though, DVR is great. You can rip thru games in 90 minutes.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    Clay left with an injured back. I hope its not too serious :(

If he is to miss the rest of the month, then I´m afraid the sox will be in for a downslide. I hope the bats keep up.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    Adrian!!!!

Holy shit! 2 run lead in the 9th. Francona probably loves this fella!
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
    force-10 wrote:
    Clay left with an injured back. I hope its not too serious :(

If he is to miss the rest of the month, then I´m afraid the sox will be in for a downslide. I hope the bats keep up.

DL stint for Clay ... former prospect Andrew Miller to come up and make a few starts. Maybe he's learned something as his last month or so he's been pretty dominant in AAA.

His two starts this week are against the Pads and Pirates (some offensively challenged teams) ... so, hopefully he can shut them down enough and let the offense do their thing.

2 out of 3 from a tough Milwaukee club = a good weekend.

Loved the Bruins goal horn being used for when the Sox scored runs today, thing went off quite often.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • RW81233RW81233 Posts: 2,393
    First time back to Fenway since '09 and only the second since spending a month there for the dissy in '07. I wanted to stab my ears during the fucking horn shit and the stupid house music song, and it kept happening - over and over :oops: . I must say I have never seen a team hit the ball like the Sox did this weekend (and for the past month for that matter), it's like slow pitch softball right now. Marcum threw a change that was at Ellsbury's shoes and he ripped it out to right, Ortiz's old bag of bones had a great at-bat too that brought game 1 into a tie, Gallardo threw pitches that normally strikeout batters and Pedroia (in particular) was fouling them off. Every out was a hard hit ball. It's like they know what's coming. According to my cousin-in-law things are going so well only three words scare the shit out of Sox fans at this point - random drug test. Still to go into the Fens and beat Lester with Randy Wolf, and be an outstanding play by Pedroia away from being up 5-4 with no one out in the 3rd inning in Game 1 is a good showing by the Brewers. I don't know if I could handle a rematch UNLESS the NL wins the All-Star Game and Ortiz has to sit the bench for the majority of a series.

P.S. - Sat in the SS Pavillion near the LF foul pole on Sunday and it took less than an inning for the first n-bomb to rain down toward the Brewers left fielder. Ahhh Boston you are never gonna change, especially when Pawtucket apparently doubles as a Klan rally ;)...seriously how many white prospects do the Sox have?

P.P.S. Two guys were sitting out there 30 feet apart wearing Cole Hamels jersey's acting as if they were scouting both teams for October....weird.
    RW81233 wrote:
    First time back to Fenway since '09 and only the second since spending a month there for the dissy in '07. I wanted to stab my ears during the fucking horn shit and the stupid house music song, and it kept happening - over and over :oops: .
    It was for the Bruins just for that day. The Bruins do the horn and the dumb zombie nation song when they score a goal.
    I missed my 3rd and 4th Sox games of the season this weekend. :( But it's ok because it was for EV in CT.

67 for 71 games

I gotta get my act together. Shit.
    yeah i know...Boston is such a funny town like that where the teams are expected to support one another. Don't know if you saw or if it was on ESPN but they brought the Bruins in on the Duckboats with the Cup and they all threw out the first pitch. Delayed the start of the game by like 25 mins and almost made us miss our plane...well that and the 16 runs scored.
    RW81233 wrote:
    yeah i know...Boston is such a funny town like that where the teams are expected to support one another. Don't know if you saw or if it was on ESPN but they brought the Bruins in on the Duckboats with the Cup and they all threw out the first pitch. Delayed the start of the game by like 25 mins and almost made us miss our plane...well that and the 16 runs scored.
    Yeah, I saw that. So much pomp and pageantry. I love it. That's why we're the greatest sports city in the world. It's like a fraternity, as Mr. Youkilis explained after the game.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,346
    RW81233 wrote:
    P.S. - Sat in the SS Pavillion near the LF foul pole on Sunday and it took less than an inning for the first n-bomb to rain down toward the Brewers left fielder. Ahhh Boston you are never gonna change, especially when Pawtucket apparently doubles as a Klan rally ;)...seriously how many white prospects do the Sox have?

Seriously??? That's fairly shocking. I didn't think Boston was any more racist that Phila but that definitely does not happen here. Actually I think Philly fans subconsiously mock white players much more (Jaws, Schmidt, Burrell). And please don't bring up any QB's, as they are all equally mocked.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    RW81233 wrote:
    Yeah, I saw that. So much pomp and pageantry. I love it. That's why we're the greatest sports city in the world. It's like a fraternity, as Mr. Youkilis explained after the game.
    i remember when you guys said you'd be happy with one (in any sport), now you act like New Yorkers. it's not only the teams too, it's the fans. my mother-in-law is forever telling me how "cute" or "cool" things are that different players do on/off the field...not being from there and not particularly liking any of the teams or players makes it hard to stomach. Still winning a bunch will make any city act like that. Also Youkilis is a fraternity unto himself.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,714
    RW81233 wrote:

Seriously??? That's fairly shocking. I didn't think Boston was any more racist that Phila but that definitely does not happen here. Actually I think Philly fans subconsiously mock white players much more (Jaws, Schmidt, Burrell). And please don't bring up any QB's, as they are all equally mocked.

But Fenway just said they're the best sports city :lol::lol::lol:
    RW81233 wrote:

Philly is bad, but with Philly it's more of a class thing I think. Put it this way, I can think of Philly fans saying a lot of nasty shit, and doing mean shit, but never chanting things like "You're not Irish" to their own player (Troy O'Leary), or intentionally mispronouncing a players name - in this case Nyjer Morgan. Plus when I went to get a hot dog, my wife asked for a veggie burger and the guy next to me said he'd been waiting 10 mins to get his wife the same order. He then whispered under his breath to me that this is what you get when N's are working behind the counter. I didn't even know what to respond with there.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, and don't forget it Cliffy! :lol: BTW Josh Beckett called. He just ran thru all of your hot female friends.

As for the racism, I don't condone it. I despise it actually. It really bothers me that there's still so much of that. But yeah, there'll always be elements of that shit here.
    that's the crazy part...like a large margin of you hate it, but a significant number doesn't care and that's what sucks.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Yeah, and don't forget it Cliffy! :lol: BTW Josh Beckett called. He just ran thru all of your hot female friends.

As for the racism, I don't condone it. I despise it actually. It really bothers me that there's still so much of that. But yeah, there'll always be elements of that shit here.

hahahah. Good stuff. Apparantely that touched a nerve. I wasn't calling him that literally. Kind of like the Louis CK rant.
    RW81233 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

Philly is bad, but with Philly it's more of a class thing I think. Put it this way, I can think of Philly fans saying a lot of nasty shit, and doing mean shit, but never chanting things like "You're not Irish" to their own player (Troy O'Leary), or intentionally mispronouncing a players name - in this case Nyjer Morgan. Plus when I went to get a hot dog, my wife asked for a veggie burger and the guy next to me said he'd been waiting 10 mins to get his wife the same order. He then whispered under his breath to me that this is what you get when N's are working behind the counter. I didn't even know what to respond with there.

Wow. There's a strong undercurrent in Philly, but it's really not out in the open like that.

How long did the veggie burger take? ;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Wow. There's a strong undercurrent in Philly, but it's really not out in the open like that.

How long did the veggie burger take? ;)

Not to get into a whole Philly debate or anything again. I always say how much I like this city, but I was shocked about how out in the open it was when I moved here. Absolutely shocked. I am not easily offended and make inappropriate comments from time to time myself (obviously) but I couldn't believe how willing people were to throw certain words around to people they barely or don't know. I actually haven't experienced it as much recently, but I did get in a fight shortly after I moved here over some racist shit.

Edit: I do agree with RW that it is a class thing here though.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,959
    It's all about the classes in Philly. That's why the same neighbors that call each other terrible names will still have a beer afterwards because they know theyre on the same level.
    RW81233 wrote:

We get it ... you think the team is racist. It certanly was years ago ... was.

Except, look at the current roster ... from stars like Crawford to players like Darnell McDonald and Mike Cameron. 3 African Americans off the top of my head on a roster of 25 is 12%, which is higher than the league average (which I beleive is still under 10%), sad but true.

And I'm not even counting the Latino or Asian players.

But, you go to the farm system now to support your theory which, looking at the roster quickly doesn't support your case either. Your shit's old.

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,224
    jimed14 wrote:
    RW81233 wrote:

We get it ... you think the team is racist. It certanly was years ago ... was.

Except, look at the current roster ... from stars like Crawford to players like Darnell McDonald and Mike Cameron. 3 African Americans off the top of my head on a roster of 25 is 12%, which is higher than the league average (which I beleive is still under 10%), sad but true.

And I'm not even counting the Latino or Asian players.

But, you go to the farm system now to support your theory which, looking at the roster quickly doesn't support your case either. Your shit's old.

I got to agree here. The mistakes with race by the Yawkeys and Pinky Higgins and others are a thing of the past. I don't think you label an organization or city just because of one dumb comment from someone who has a ticket.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,959
    Of course his shit's old - dude comes off as nothing more than ostentatious. All because he has a PhD in a made-up degree. Congratulations. You spent an extra 4-5 years of college bullshitting people so you don't have to get a regular job.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,224
    Of course his shit's old - dude comes off as nothing more than ostentatious. All because he has a PhD in a made-up degree. Congratulations. You spent an extra 4-5 years of college bullshitting people so you don't have to get a regular job.

this post reminds me of that scene in good will hunting where matt damon goes to the blond pony-tail type, "You just spent 150,000 on an education you could have gotten with late charges at the public library."
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    I was just kidding about Pawtucket hence the ;)...the callups have been comical however. I wasn't kidding about what I heard in the stands...it was right there...and maybe the management stuff is (kinda) part of the past. They have done nice things like go to the DR, and get back into the good graces of the Asian market after the '03 fiasco with (over former Brewer and Red Sox great Gabe Kapler methinks), but it hasn't changed the fans...look around the Fens. Anyway, veggie burger took 8-10 minutes just like the guy behind the counter told me it would, and just like he told everyone else buying one it would.
    Jimed you may think it's old but players like Torri Hunter and Gary Mathews were talking about it in '07. I got that information by going to the library and reading it...and it was only 70k for the record - phd's are half-off right now. There's a reason why the Sox still have to go into minority communities to change minds.
    as for being ostentatious that's fair...what good is it to learn about this shit and not talk about it? Or talk about the hard to road to redemption? Jimed if you read my earlier posts I said good things about the Sox and a bunch of their fans. Still there exists people like this:

Racism on the way to the ballgame
    [3 Edition]
    Boston Globe - Boston, Mass.
    Date: Jul 20, 2007
    Start Page: A.12
    Section: Letters To The Editor
    Text Word Count: 191
    Document Text
    HAVING HAD some spare time last Saturday while in Boston on business, a colleague and I took an evening stroll in search of legendary Fenway Park. To our delight, not only did we find the ballpark, but we encountered thousands of excited fans as they funneled their way toward the park's Yawkey Way gates.

To our left, in the street, five or six elementary-age kids rode by on bicycles. They were African-American. A Red Sox fan, who was white, yelled toward the young cyclists for all within earshot to hear, "Where's my stereo?" Everyone around him laughed as the kids kept riding.

I suppose the implication is that young black children on bicycles go around stealing stereos from white adults.

This stereotyping made me shudder, as I reflected on the walk I had taken just the previous evening along the historic Freedom Trail. I happened upon the site of the Boston Massacre where, among other brave souls, African-American Crispus Attucks gave his life in the name of freedom 237 years ago.

Perhaps it will take another 237 years for that freedom to be realized.

JOHN WILHELMI

Portland, Ore.

Credit: Boston Globe
    I think everyone's getting sick of the racist Boston fans talk. It's like talking about throwing snowball at Santa Claus - we get it.