Boston Red Sox

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,778
    jimed14 wrote:
    oh, I forgot to add the proper number of laughy faces to my post at the bottom of the last page ... sorry ...

9-0 Sox after 2 ... :lol::lol::lol:

edit - 12-0 in the 3rd.

I just hope the Phillies continue to play bad when they face the Yankees. But watch Moyer 1 hit us next week.
    I miss igotid88
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Woo-hoo! Interleague play!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Daniel Nava...YES!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    That was one great FIRST at bat and first pitch...AWESOME!
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    Kelly might be called up. This has me excited!
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
    Buchholz, Lester, Lackey, Wakefield and ?
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Dani ... -their-son

When I first located Daniel Nava’s parents at Fenway Park, only his mother, Becky, was present. His father, Don, had left his seat to accept a slew of congratulatory calls.

Less than 24 hours before, the Navas had no idea they would be in Boston for their first visit to Fenway. They were headed to the Indianapolis airport after seeing Daniel play for Triple-A Pawtucket. Their plan was to fly to Sacramento, then head home for their younger son David’s graduation from Santa Clara University.

The graduation was set for 8:30 a.m. Saturday, with a big family party to follow.

Only the Navas never made it home.

Instead, they wound up at Fenway to see Daniel become only the fourth player in major-league history to hit a grand slam in his first major-league at-bat — and only the second to do it on the first pitch he saw.

Oh, but this gets better.

Nava, 27, was 4 feet 8 and 70 pounds when he entered high school, took growth hormone — prescribed by a doctor, not some major-league enabler — but didn't have a growth spurt until his sophomore year in college.

He was cut by Santa Clara his freshman year and ended up team manager, washing uniforms. He then left the school because his family couldn’t afford the tuition, played two years at junior college, only to return to Santa Clara — on scholarship — for his senior year.

No major-league team drafted him. The Chico Outlaws of the Independent Golden League cut him. Nava took a year off, thinking — again — that his career might be over. But the Outlaws gave him another shot.

Then, in fall 2007, the Red Sox signed Nava, paying the Outlaws the princely sum of $1 — yes, $1 — for his rights, with an additional $1,499 to follow if he made a minor-league team out of spring training.

Now here was Nava less than three years later, replacing Josh Reddick on the major-league roster and filling in for the injured Jacoby Ellsbury and Jeremy Hermida, playing left field at Fenway on the same ground once treaded by Red Sox greats Carl Yastrzemski, Jim Rice and Manny Ramirez.

And here was his father, Don, back at his seat, videotaping Daniel’s at-bats with a hand-held camera, telling me that David’s graduation party had turned euphoric, that his daughter Rebekah, 19, had called crying and, of course, that he had never stopped believing in his son.

I interviewed Don and Becky live for our MLB on FOX telecast, and Becky told the story of how they nearly had not made it to Fenway when their morning flight from Indianapolis was delayed, then canceled.

Well, she told part of the story, anyway. It might have taken her three innings to explain every twist and turn of their incredible journey.

Don and Becky had stayed overnight in Indianapolis after Daniel informed them of his promotion Friday night. When their flight was canceled, they tried to get on the next flight to Boston, only to be told it was full. But somehow, according to Becky, Don — a life fitness coach — persuaded the airline personnel to make room.

The Navas headed straight to baggage claim once they landed at Logan Airport in Boston, but quickly grew panicky waiting for their bags, fearing that they would miss the start of their son’s major-league debut.

They left their bags at the airport and hopped in a cab to Fenway, arriving after the first pitch at 4:10 p.m.

Good thing they got there when they did — Daniel hit his grand slam off Phillies right-hander Joe Blanton with none out in the bottom of the second inning, and later added a leadoff double off reliever Chad Durbin in the fifth.

Don recorded each moment for posterity, but he told me during our live interview that he wasn’t sure if he had held his camera steady on Daniel’s home run.

How could Don not have been shaking?

Grand slam, Daniel Nava.

A family’s dreams come true.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    Being there for the Daniel Nava moment was probably the coolest moment I have ever been to at a baseball game in my life. I was with nothingman44 and he was like who the fuck is this Nava kid as he went to the plate and I was like watch him one out on the first pitch. Seeing that swing and the ball fly and the crowd reaction was surreal. I still can't believe that happened.

It's always a great time to see a game at Fenway and you never know what you might see. Plus it was nice to see them beat up on the Phils!
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    ok, pretty weak Diamondbacks team heading into Fenway tonight, talks about several of their players getting traded off, Sox got their 1-2-3 in the rotation going ... the type of series the Sox should sweep ... but, tend to drop 2 of 3.

The Yanks just cught the Rays in the standings, time for the Sox to do the same.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    the type of series the Sox should sweep ... but, tend to drop 2 of 3.
    Glad I'm not the only one thinking this.
    jimed14 wrote:
    ok, pretty weak Diamondbacks team heading into Fenway tonight, talks about several of their players getting traded off,

Damn, I posted this and didn't even see that they traded Conor Jackson to the A's this morning ... reports that they are aggressively trying to deal guys off.

Will the D-Backs rally, or will they be distracted? Interesting dynamic heading into this series.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    force-10 wrote:
    Kelly might be called up. This has me excited!

He is 1-3 with an era over 4 in AA.
    I don't think he is ready.
    Scutaro is out for a day or two after getting that pinched nerve fixed up. I know he's been raking it through the pain, but there's no way he could make it thru the season like that. Bill Hall tonight at short.
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    Scutaro is out for a day or two after getting that pinched nerve fixed up. I know he's been raking it through the pain, but there's no way he could make it thru the season like that. Bill Hall tonight at short.

Bill Hall can play 'em all.
    Sox pick up a game on both the Yanks and the Rays .... nice.

Is it bad that the Celtics-Lakers Game 7 is tonight, yet my mind is fixated on Manny's return to the Fens tomorrow night?
    Is it bad that the Celtics-Lakers Game 7 is tonight, yet my mind is fixated on Manny's return to the Fens tomorrow night?

I'm more interested in USA vs Slovenia ... or heck, Mexico vs France.

jimed14 wrote:

So I'm guessing you won't be coming back East for the parade and rolling rally on City Hall? :lol:

Seriously though, #99 has to hit a home run during the 3 game set. I mean, that's the way these things work right? After Sunday, Manny rides off into the sunset, never to be seen again.
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    jimed14 wrote:

So I'm guessing you won't be coming back East for the parade and rolling rally on City Hall? :lol:

Seriously though, #99 has to hit a home run during the 3 game set. I mean, that's the way these things work right? After Sunday, Manny rides off into the sunset, never to be seen again.
    I hope he gets plunked three times, fouls one off his ankle and another off his shin, a wall ball crowns him on his stoopid head and he strikes out 10 times

Oh, but I very much appreciate what he did for the Sox
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • i fuckin love manny.. always have, always will.. if i were going to the game i'd stand up and cheer for him.. people will boo, for reasons idk.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    i fuckin love manny.. always have, always will.. if i were going to the game i'd stand up and cheer for him.. people will boo, for reasons idk.
    My reason...he quit
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    Ortiz still hot and hitting them out.
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

jimed14 wrote:
    Sox pick up a game on both the Yanks and the Rays .... nice.

Nice to say this again tonight.

g under p wrote:

Funny, with all the shit the Yankees fans give Ortiz ... here we sit in mid June ...

Ortiz - .266-14-43
    Teixeira - .224-10-38

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    jimed14 wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Funny, with all the shit the Yankees fans give Ortiz ... here we sit in mid June ...

Ortiz - .266-14-43
    Teixeira - .224-10-38

funnier defending champs and in 1st at the moment

imagine when the bats really wake up
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    at the moment

at least you've come to grips with it.

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    jimed14 wrote:
    at the moment

at least you've come to grips with it.

yea yea

excuse me gotta pop the don p for number 5
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Yankees fan and a Lakers fan ... again, it makes a lot of sense.

At least there was one win tonight. We're less than 19 hours from Manny's first at-bat.