Boston Red Sox

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    It's 7 - 0 after 7 right now, but, I'm not counting this game as over, not in that ball park, with that lineup.

But, if indeed the Sox do win ... their past week

2 games @ Yankees Stadium
    2 games @ home vs a very tough Twins team
    3 games @ Citizen Bank Ball park.

5 - 2 ... a pretty good week ... and, Ellsbury is back.

Oh, and let's not forget, the fisrt game of the week was that horrible loss to the Yankees ... so, they responded by going 5 - 1 after that loss.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,712
    I think it is pretty hilarious that Martinez wears a 1B glove when catching Wakefield. Remember the size of the catchers mit Mirabelli wore?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I think it is pretty hilarious that Martinez wears a 1B glove when catching Wakefield. Remember the size of the catchers mit Mirabelli wore?

I don't care if he catches him with pizza boxes, what ever works. :D

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I don't care if he catches him with pizza boxes, what ever works. :D

Very true, I just find it funny.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,506
    jimed14 wrote:
    If only the Sox could beat up Halladay like this when he was in Toronto. :shock:

actually he was only 14-14 against the sox with an era at 4.28 coming into the game today...not overly dominating numbers by any stretch of the imagination.
    www.myspace.com
    jimed14 wrote:
    If only the Sox could beat up Halladay like this when he was in Toronto. :shock:

actually he was only 14-14 against the sox with an era at 4.28 coming into the game today...not overly dominating numbers by any stretch of the imagination.

If you look at career numbers, there are a lot of injury related years in there ... the last two years, he killed the Sox.

But hey, if you want to lessen the blow of this statement backfiring ... go nuts ...
    you guys looking forward to your beat down this weekend?

:lol:

btw, Mike Cameron to be activated tomorrow. Wow, you know it's a different type of year when this news actually excites me. :lol:

jimed14 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

If you look at career numbers, there are a lot of injury related years in there ... the last two years, he killed the Sox.

But hey, if you want to lessen the blow of this statement backfiring ... go nuts ...
    :roll:
    lol...i dunno man. when your team's own beat writer says the sox have had a decent amount of success against him, i gotta believe it. the yankee's, he's killed. the sox, not so much. era in the mid 4's...
    http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/

Really, though, the Red Sox usually had at least a degree of success against Halladay when he was mowing down hitters for the Blue Jays, and that trend continued here today. The Sox scored seven runs against Halladay, six of which were earned, and knocked him out of the game after only 5-2/3 innings, his shortest outing since last Aug. 19, also against the Red Sox, at Fenway Park. In 42 games (39 starts) against the Red Sox, Halladay has allowed 134 earned runs in 275 innings for a 4.39 ERA. His record against the Red Sox: A pedestrian 14-15.
    www.myspace.com
    Did you not read the part where I said over the last 2 years? I thought that was pretty clear.

Over the last two years, he's had nine starts and an ERA under 2.50 and he's held Sox batters under .225

jimed14 wrote:
    Did you not read the part where I said over the last 2 years? I thought that was pretty clear.

Over the last two years, he's had nine starts and an ERA under 2.50 and he's held Sox batters under .225

no.

close though...with a selective sample size.

against boston he had a 2.79 era last year...2.59 era in 08...but toss in his 6.92 era in '07 and that gives him 3.29 for the past 3 years.

you're right though. the last two years he was pretty damn good!

overall---about average vs boston.
    www.myspace.com
    Overall ... the Sox took 2 our of 3 from the Phils in their ball park, and their wins were from Matsuzaka and Wakefield.

I'm happy.

The end.

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    Otiz smoked that one.cool10.gif
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Otiz smoked that one.

Ortiz, last 30 days ...

Avg .306, 8 HRs, 21 RBIs, OPS 1.042

jimed14 wrote:
    Overall ... the Sox took 2 our of 3 from the Phils in their ball park, and their wins were from Matsuzaka and Wakefield.

I'm happy.

The end.

as well you should be...even if you downplayed it by comparing it to a series against the royals last week. ;):lol:
    www.myspace.com
    That stadium is such nonsense, pedroia fouls out then hits a single
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

are you pulling for the Sox in this game? :)

jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

are you pulling for the Sox in this game? :)

good question, been trying to figure that out all day. I have yet to come up with an answer.

You watching on espn or extra innings? Espn has freidman, the rays gm in the booth, impressive guy
    Nah, watching NESN.

Anyone who has built this Rays team is certainly impressive.

jimed14 wrote:
    Nah, watching NESN.

Anyone who has built this Rays team is certainly impressive.

yeah I didn't even check if extra innings had nesn tonight, figured you would be watching that if they did.

Very true, I was impressed with the conversation. Definitely know what he is doing. Not to take anything away from him, well maybe a little but they have had many many many top picks. Made some great choices and that longoria contract is by far the best contract in baseball
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    Youk Sox are on a roll 6-0
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    The tide is turning.
    If the Sox can win one out of the next two that would be huge.
    The next 14 games are against weak teams.
    Oakland being the only club over .500 in that stretch.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Another big win.
    Pitching is really starting to come together.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    JimEd, I may have to take back what I said about Ortiz back in early April. I hope he can come close to keeping up what he's done in May for the rest of the season.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Looks like things are getting back to the way they should be... ;):mrgreen:
    Go Sox!!!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    adam42381 wrote:
    JimEd, I may have to take back what I said about Ortiz back in early April. I hope he can come close to keeping up what he's done in May for the rest of the season.

You may have to take back??? ha ha ... you wanted him gone 3 games into the season. :lol:

Again, it all starts with him thinking opposite field ... his first few homers were over the wall ... his double last night to drive in the only 2 runs of the game, oppo.

Scouts are saying his hands are noticably faster on inside pitches now. Pitchers will adjust .... but, he's certainly come around. I won't say I wasn't worried (he really looked awful) ... but had a feeling the slack would not be as long this year.

It's the pitching and defense, you know the thing they built this team around :? , that's what has to improve ... and for a little more than one trip through the rotation.

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I pretty much wrote off Ortiz again this season, but he's proven me wrong again. He did really look awful in April.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I pretty much wrote off Ortiz again this season, but he's proven me wrong again. He did really look awful in April.
    He's getting his groove back! :thumbup:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    jimed14 wrote:
    adam42381 wrote:

You may have to take back??? ha ha ... you wanted him gone 3 games into the season. :lol:

Again, it all starts with him thinking opposite field ... his first few homers were over the wall ... his double last night to drive in the only 2 runs of the game, oppo.

Scouts are saying his hands are noticably faster on inside pitches now. Pitchers will adjust .... but, he's certainly come around. I won't say I wasn't worried (he really looked awful) ... but had a feeling the slack would not be as long this year.

It's the pitching and defense, you know the thing they built this team around :? , that's what has to improve ... and for a little more than one trip through the rotation.

In typical Sox fan fashion, I hit the panic button a the first sign o trouble. In my defense, Ortiz looked very bad in spring training as well.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    Adrian Beltre ... oh my.

2 Homers (one was practically on one knee!) ... and a triple. Nice, as the Sox usually struggle against Garza.

Lackey was far from sharp, but, the Rays are a tough team to pitch against.

oh yeah ... and Ortiz, went deep again.

Looks like the sweep of the Rays is complete.

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Suddenly 6 games over .500
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925