Boston Red Sox

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    This is fucking awesome

Obviously things will turn around but I am loving this.
    Man, I just checked in at the comments over at Pete Abe's blog and wow, you guys have a lot of people jumping off bridges already.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Shit happens.

2/3 of the outfield is hurt, which includes Ellsbury, a big part of the offense. Hell, we have Bill Hall as our starting CF right now.

Youk and V-Mart will not hit in the .220s for the season.

I'm not worried about the starting pitching.

There are 5.5 months left.

Would I have liked for a better start? hell yeah ... am I worried? hell no.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    jimed14 wrote:
    ... am I worried? hell no.

not even a little? :shock: :shock: ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    I agree with jimed on this one, would have liked to see this team get off to a solid start, but even after this weekend, there's no need to panic. This team will get it together. No worries.

But my opinion on this changes daily, so who knows?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    another boston massacre :lol::lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,331
    I love my fellow Sox fans. So hopeful. I, on the other hand, am convinced this team will not make the playoffs. Their hitting against above average hitting last year was average at best. So they let Jason Bay walk in the off season and brought in Mike Cameron to take his place. That's a huge downgrade.

The pitching will come around but the hitting will not. They will put up numbers against the crappier teams in the league but they will struggle against the playoff teams as they have in the first 4 series.

This is a bridge year. They have some big numbers coming off the books and they will be going after some bats this off season.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,180
    I love my fellow Sox fans. So hopeful. I, on the other hand, am convinced this team will not make the playoffs. Their hitting against above average hitting last year was average at best. So they let Jason Bay walk in the off season and brought in Mike Cameron to take his place. That's a huge downgrade.

The pitching will come around but the hitting will not. They will put up numbers against the crappier teams in the league but they will struggle against the playoff teams as they have in the first 4 series.

This is a bridge year. They have some big numbers coming off the books and they will be going after some bats this off season.

It's SITLL early people we haven't been through a MONTH of this very long season. The Red Sox will be fine, if they're playing like this in June then yeah it's time to worry.

Until then....Let's go Celtics and Let's go Bruins.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Hopeful, well yeah ... but I'm not an idiot about it. This team certianly is worse off offensively (although, go ask the Mets fans how much they like Jason Bay and his 0 HR and 2 RBIs right now)

All I'm saying is that it's April 19 and I'm not jumping off a bridge. They've had injuries to Cameron and Ellsbury, and slumps from Youk and V-Mart to start the season that should all right themselves in the next week or so. I'm not that optimistic on Ortiz however. He should certianly be sitting against lefties at this point.

Saw a Buster Olney post that stated the Sox may go after one of the Angels catchers (noting the Sox inability to throw anyone out stealing), possibly Napoli (who has some serious pop) as he's grousing over losing playing time to Mathis (who Scioscia loves). With Brandon Wood struggling, the Angels may take Lowell (if the Sox pay most of the salary, of course) ... all specualtion, but, that seems feasible.

Again, it's April 19 ... check back in a month. Perhaps this Sox shitstorm is the karma gods evening out the B's run through the stanley cup playoffs! :)

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    jimed14 wrote:

Hopeful, well yeah ... but I'm not an idiot about it. This team certianly is worse off offensively (although, go ask the Mets fans how much they like Jason Bay and his 0 HR and 2 RBIs right now)

All I'm saying is that it's April 19 and I'm not jumping off a bridge. They've had injuries to Cameron and Ellsbury, and slumps from Youk and V-Mart to start the season that should all right themselves in the next week or so. I'm not that optimistic on Ortiz however. He should certianly be sitting against lefties at this point.

Saw a Buster Olney post that stated the Sox may go after one of the Angels catchers (noting the Sox inability to throw anyone out stealing), possibly Napoli (who has some serious pop) as he's grousing over losing playing time to Mathis (who Scioscia loves). With Brandon Wood struggling, the Angels may take Lowell (if the Sox pay most of the salary, of course) ... all specualtion, but, that seems feasible.

Again, it's April 19 ... check back in a month. Perhaps this Sox shitstorm is the karma gods evening out the B's run through the stanley cup playoffs! :)

That would be interesting, and it always seems that Napoli hit well at Fenway. But that begs the question, what other team dresses 3 catchers?
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    edited April 2010
    IF the above scenario plays out, I think they'd move VMart to DH and use Papi sporadically off the bench.
    Post edited by adam42381 on
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    That would be interesting, and it always seems that Napoli hit well at Fenway. But that begs the question, what other team dresses 3 catchers?

In this scenario ... the Sox would DFA Ortiz and put V-Mart at DH. Bold move ... but, not out of the realm of possibility.

If this happens, it would be weeks away. A lot of moving parts. Ortiz could start hitting, Wood could start hitting, Mathis could stop hitting, injuries, etc. It was Buster Olney pulling a Peter Gammons fantasy baseball trade out of the air ... but, it kind of makes sense they way things are currently.

Cameron to DL, I cant see how he is back in 15 days, does not sound great.

Interesting trade but i think it is well more than a few weeks away. Dont see the Agnels trading Napoli in April.
    Yeah, this Cameron injury appears to be bad. I've heard 4, 6 or even 8 weeks before he's back. Damn.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Yeah, this Cameron injury appears to be bad. I've heard 4, 6 or even 8 weeks before he's back. Damn.

3fc826cc.png

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad

3fc826cc.png
    http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5118215
    :(
    might be 10 games out by may :o:mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    You've been smoking meth with Joba's mom today, haven't you?

nope just looking at the standings on ESPN :lol:

nope just looking at the standings on ESPN :lol:
    Laugh it up kid, 13 games into the season. Yankees are playing well and our boys aren't, can't deny it. :twisted:
    So Bostons lineup currently consists of David Ortiz, Scutaro, Beltre, Hermida, some minor leaguer and JD Drew...ouch :lol::lol::lol: .
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    So Bostons lineup currently consists of David Ortiz, Scutaro, Beltre, Hermida, some minor leaguer and JD Drew...ouch :lol::lol::lol: .

LIKE i said 10 games out by may :lol:

get a body bag ;)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

get a body bag ;)

Well they do have a couple cupcake series coming up so we might want to give them till the 2nd week of may.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

get a body bag ;)

Well they do have a couple cupcake series coming up so we might want to give them till the 2nd week of may.

we go there soon again right? cant be soon enough ;)
    Nice comeback win tonight, and clutch hitting from ............ Darnell McDonald?

Called up after they put Ellsbury on the DL today ... HR to tie the game in the 8th and a wall ball single to win it in the 9th.

Sadly, the lead story is going to be Ortiz ... saw 15 fast balls, couldn't put one in play, struck out twice, smashed bat over his knee and eventually, pinch hit for with Lowell. Left down the tunnel untucking his shirt, and noticably missing in the bottom of the 9th celebration.

This could get ugly.

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,180
    Papelbon wins one and the Sox steal one, it feels good to win.
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Was that Lowell's first AB of the season? Is he/was he hurt? I know there wasnt really a starting spot for him but I thought he'd get some games at DH or 3b?? He may now see more time at DH im guessing
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
    jimed14 wrote:
    Nice comeback win tonight, and clutch hitting from ............ Darnell McDonald?

Called up after they put Ellsbury on the DL today ... HR to tie the game in the 8th and a wall ball single to win it in the 9th.

Sadly, the lead story is going to be Ortiz ... saw 15 fast balls, couldn't put one in play, struck out twice, smashed bat over his knee and eventually, pinch hit for with Lowell. Left down the tunnel untucking his shirt, and noticably missing in the bottom of the 9th celebration.

This could get ugly.

The ortiz situation is not going to end well, at all.

Edit: Jimed, if things continue which more than likely they will, when do they just cut him? Gammons seems to think that there is almost no possibility he is on the team all season.
  • This season is lost already....it's not supposed to be this way anymore is it??

I wonder if DirecTv will refund me for the MLB package?? I will not watch them get their brains beaten in every night....or at least every two out of three nights
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The ortiz situation is not going to end well, at all.

Edit: Jimed, if things continue which more than likely they will, when do they just cut him? Gammons seems to think that there is almost no possibility he is on the team all season.

I think it starts with a few starts of Mike Lowell against lefties and select righties (Starting tonight against Texas' Matt Harrison, a lefty) ... if Lowell hits, he just keeps taking more ABs. I'd say if Ortix isn't hitting by May 1, he's somewhere else (waived, minors, traded).

Last night was pretty telling. 15 fastballs, none put in play. Something is wrong. Last year, I think Ortiz had an issue with his eyes at the beginning of the season, supposedly he had it checked out and it cleared up by June ... then he hit. But, he is just off every pitch.

Not sure if Ortiz woyld accept a demotion to work shit out, but Francona has to stop letting him work it out in the starting lineup. It was ok last year as the Sox got off to a hot start. But they are struggling, and they can't afford another unproductive month out of their DH this year.