Boston Red Sox

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Just as I post this, I see a note that Varitek (who is hitting pretty well, somehow) is in the lineup tonight, which means either V-Mart or Lowell will indeed DH.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Yeah, they just said on EEI that Ortiz isn't playing tonight. Oh man jimed, you shoulda heard the "Lunch with Tito" segment on Dale and Holley just now. Francona was dodging the Ortiz issue worse than Big Mac at the congressional hearings...
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The ortiz situation is not going to end well, at all.

Edit: Jimed, if things continue which more than likely they will, when do they just cut him? Gammons seems to think that there is almost no possibility he is on the team all season.

I think it starts with a few starts of Mike Lowell against lefties and select righties (Starting tonight against Texas' Matt Harrison, a lefty) ... if Lowell hits, he just keeps taking more ABs. I'd say if Ortix isn't hitting by May 1, he's somewhere else (waived, minors, traded).

Last night was pretty telling. 15 fastballs, none put in play. Something is wrong. Last year, I think Ortiz had an issue with his eyes at the beginning of the season, supposedly he had it checked out and it cleared up by June ... then he hit. But, he is just off every pitch.

Not sure if Ortiz woyld accept a demotion to work shit out, but Francona has to stop letting him work it out in the starting lineup. It was ok last year as the Sox got off to a hot start. But they are struggling, and they can't afford another unproductive month out of their DH this year.

May 1 is really early but yeah, I hear you. In that same interview i referenced gammons said everyone but Ortiz sees the problem so I dont think he would accept a demotion. Francona has his work cut out for him, this could snowball pretty quickly. I would imagine they would just have to release him, no one is going to pay him this years $12.5 contract.
    Yeah, they just said on EEI that Ortiz isn't playing tonight. Oh man jimed, you shoulda heard the "Lunch with Tito" segment on Dale and Holley just now. Francona was dodging the Ortiz issue worse than Big Mac at the congressional hearings...

Another lefty tomorrow too right?
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    when the juice runs out..turn out the lights
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

CJ Wilson, indeed ... it's good timing, Ortiz could use a few days off.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

CJ Wilson, indeed ... it's good timing, Ortiz could use a few days off.

Who knows if he sees that though and isn't just taking it as an insult. Stay tuned....
    jimed14 wrote:
    In this scenario ... the Sox would DFA Ortiz and put V-Mart at DH. Bold move ... but, not out of the realm of possibility.

If this happens, it would be weeks away. A lot of moving parts. Ortiz could start hitting, Wood could start hitting, Mathis could stop hitting, injuries, etc. It was Buster Olney pulling a Peter Gammons fantasy baseball trade out of the air ... but, it kind of makes sense they way things are currently.

And of course, as I said, this could get derailed by an injury. Mathis broke his wrist and is on the DL for 6 - 8 weeks so the Angels would never move Napoli now ... so, this scenario is comletely shot to hell.

ha ha ha ... based on last night's 9 steal performance by the Rangers ...

americarunsonvmart.jpg

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUK!

That's 2 walk offs in two nights.

Exactly what this team needed.

jimed14 wrote:

Rangers are having a tough road trip.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    jimed14 wrote:

Gotta Love Youk!!!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    Wow what a night.....The Canadiens lose 6-3......The Bruins win in OT 3-2 after being down 2-0....Then the Sox win on a walk off 8-7! Now THATS good night! :D Keep those streaks going BEANTOWN.
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    jimed14 wrote:

Agreed, but they could also use a 15-2 drubbing with some good D.
    g under p wrote:
    Wow what a night.....The Canadiens lose 6-3......The Bruins win in OT 3-2 after being down 2-0....Then the Sox win on a walk off 8-7! Now THATS good night! :D Keep those streaks going BEANTOWN.
    Nice post g under p :clap::clap::clap:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    Clay looks to give us a nice sweep of the Rangers tonight. I really hope he has a solid outing.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Clay looks to give us a nice sweep of the Rangers tonight. I really hope he has a solid outing.
    STrong outings or not....can't win if they can't score. This is depressing. I wouldn't be surprised if they finish behind the Jays at this rate. The Boston "Bridge" is falling down :x
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
    You guys gotta be able to get back on track with this series of games, rangers and then o's. Shit, a legion team could compete with them.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    You guys gotta be able to get back on track with this series of games, rangers and then o's. Shit, a legion team could compete with them.
    Thanks for the encouragement Cliffy. Hope you're having a good Friday buddy.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Thanks for the encouragement Cliffy. Hope you're having a good Friday buddy.

Thanks man. You as well. My girlfirend is out of town so I will be plopping my lazy ass on the couch with a case of beer and watching a lot of baseball and maybe some hockey after a long week.
    Ugly, but nice win for the Sox. At this point, we'll take them any way we can. Nice to see Pap close out the game by striking out Lugo (who I think we are still paying his contract). Hopefully Lackey can mow down this Baltimore line-up tomorrow.
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Message to Tito...

Dustin 2010

batting 3rd .111
    batting 2nd .354

Dustin 2009

batting 1st .219
    batting 2nd .311
    Oh THAT was a huge homerun, score some more Dustin.
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Phew! What is going on with Pap? We were ahead in the top of 9th, which I turned the station once it was a 1 run lead, but I'm glad to hear that they won... ;) Something needs to be done... I want our self proclaimed idiots back!!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    Phew! What is going on with Pap? We were ahead in the top of 9th, which I turned the station once it was a 1 run lead, but I'm glad to hear that they won... ;) Something needs to be done... I want our self proclaimed idiots back!!

It's STILL early we are not out of the month of April as yet. As long as the Red Sox are within reaching distance of the the division leaders the Sox will be fine. One thing though the Rays are way better than what i previously thought and that to me is a concern this early in the season.

Peace

Feel free to look through this thread to see my issues on the same topic ... Jonathan Papelbon.

Indeed, I have been saying "it's early" for the first two weeks, but ... man, this guy is giving up way too many baserunners, and it was something he did all last year.

His baserunners per inning over the past three years ...

07 - 0.77
    08 - 0.95
    09 - 1.15

Seems ok, but for a closer, more than one an inning starts to get in an area I don't like.

Last year was a tale of two halves ... 1st half 1.34, 2nd half 0.94 ... so maybe it's just another rough start, but sheesh ... this year ...

10 IP, 8 walks, 7 strike outs ... and while he's got a tidy 2.70 ERA, his baserunners per inning is at 1.50.

The walks have to stop.

[/rant]

Absolutely. This has got to change. jimed14 is the pearl jam message board version of Bill James. Nice breakdown.

I would also like to tip the cap to Timmy Wakefield, making his last start for the foreseeable future this afternoon. What can be said about this guy that hasn't already been said? He's the best.
    Posted this over in the Yankees thread but figured I would post it here too since its relevant and pretty interesting.

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/20 ... ot-really/

Of the top 8 teams in terms of revenue, the Yanks spend the lowest precentage on payroll. Boston is 2nd to only Detroit, found that pretty interesting and I always knocked Henry for his whining but this says a lot I think. I also found this little parting shot interesting since everyone wants to knock how much the Yanks spend on their infield.

The Red Sox spend more on salaries for five part-time players (David Ortiz, Mike Lowell, Bill Hall, Jeremy Hermida and Jason Varitek) than the Padres spend for their entire team.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Posted this over in the Yankees thread but figured I would post it here too since its relevant and pretty interesting.

Of the top 8 teams in terms of revenue, the Yanks spend the lowest precentage on payroll. Boston is 2nd to only Detroit, found that pretty interesting and I always knocked Henry for his whining but this says a lot I think. I also found this little parting shot interesting since everyone wants to knock how much the Yanks spend on their infield.

The Red Sox spend more on salaries for five part-time players (David Ortiz, Mike Lowell, Bill Hall, Jeremy Hermida and Jason Varitek) than the Padres spend for their entire team.

I've never been the one to carry the "Yankees buy their championships" flag and feel the Yanks have done a great job spending their money much smarter over the past few years.

That said, the above is just statistical hocus pocus.

As a percentage of revenue

All this did was call out the fact that the Yankees make a SHITLOAD more revenue than any other team.

Again, I'm not crying poor as a Red Sox fan, but, I certainly don't buy into that stat when the Yanks denominator is so large, nearly twice every other team.

jimed14 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I've never been the one to carry the "Yankees buy their championships" flag and feel the Yanks have done a great job spending their money much smarter over the past few years.

That said, the above is just statistical hocus pocus.

As a percentage of revenue

All this did was call out the fact that the Yankees make a SHITLOAD more revenue than any other team.

Again, I'm not crying poor as a Red Sox fan, but, I certainly don't buy into that stat when the Yanks denominator is so large, nearly twice every other team.

I agree 100%, if the Yankees spent at the same percentage as othe other teams it would be outrageous. I think this is more relevant to the other teams than it is to the Yankees. The point of this was to give a little credit to Boston and not really say anything about the Yankees.