Boston Red Sox

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I look at that revenue number and imagine how much the Yankees are spending on things like scouting, setting up baseball camps in other countries, etc etc.

Let's be honest, both the Sox and Yankees probably don't want the draft to extend to international players, but, it's the right thing to do.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    jimed14 wrote:
    I look at that revenue number and imagine how much the Yankees are spending on things like scouting, setting up baseball camps in other countries, etc etc.

Let's be honest, both the Sox and Yankees probably don't want the draft to extend to international players, but, it's the right thing to do.

I have read a little bit about the Yankees operations in Latin America and it is pretty outrageous. They have built some pretty incredible facilities.

You are right about the draft but hey, this offseason it worked for the small market teams, both the Reds and Blue Jays were able to land prized international players.
    The thing is, if those guys don't pan out ... teams like the Sox and Yanks can absorb the costs.

If Chapman doesn't pan out for the Reds, or the kid the Jays snapped up doesn't pan out ... that really hurts them.

Chapman's a bit of a head case (I remember watching him implode during the WBC), I'm sure that went into him not wanting to be with a big media market. Can you imagine the pressure on his if he were in NYC?

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,181
    Ortiz comes through like he should.
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Bill Hall is awful.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Posted this over in the Yankees thread but figured I would post it here too since its relevant and pretty interesting.

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/20 ... ot-really/

Of the top 8 teams in terms of revenue, the Yanks spend the lowest precentage on payroll. Boston is 2nd to only Detroit, found that pretty interesting and I always knocked Henry for his whining but this says a lot I think. I also found this little parting shot interesting since everyone wants to knock how much the Yanks spend on their infield.

The Red Sox spend more on salaries for five part-time players (David Ortiz, Mike Lowell, Bill Hall, Jeremy Hermida and Jason Varitek) than the Padres spend for their entire team.

Whoever wrote that blog is not aware that the Red Sox are not paying bill hall 8.5 million. They're only paying Hall 1.1 million. The Mariners are paying the other 7.4 million owed to him.

Always glad to see random bloggers fact check. ;)
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    Solat13 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Posted this over in the Yankees thread but figured I would post it here too since its relevant and pretty interesting.

http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/20 ... ot-really/

Of the top 8 teams in terms of revenue, the Yanks spend the lowest precentage on payroll. Boston is 2nd to only Detroit, found that pretty interesting and I always knocked Henry for his whining but this says a lot I think. I also found this little parting shot interesting since everyone wants to knock how much the Yanks spend on their infield.

The Red Sox spend more on salaries for five part-time players (David Ortiz, Mike Lowell, Bill Hall, Jeremy Hermida and Jason Varitek) than the Padres spend for their entire team.

Whoever wrote that blog is not aware that the Red Sox are not paying bill hall 8.5 million. They're only paying Hall 1.1 million. The Mariners are paying the other 7.4 million owed to him.

Well you would also be wrong with the amount

acquired by Boston in trade with Seattle 1/7/10, with Mariners paying Red Sox $7.15M originally committed by Milwaukee as part of the deal

Always glad to see random posters fact check ;) .

Kidding aside, that's actually a pretty good blog, part of the Espn network which i am not sure says a whole lot but it is good none the less.
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

acquired by Boston in trade with Seattle 1/7/10, with Mariners paying Red Sox $7.15M originally committed by Milwaukee as part of the deal

Kidding aside, that's actually a pretty good blog, part of the Espn network which i am not sure says a whole lot but it is good none the less.

No problem and usually I'm pretty good with my numbers. I must have copied the wrong thing from Cot's. Anyhow, if the blogger would have swapped Hall for the fact the Sox are paying Lugo 9 million I would have had no arguments. ;)
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
    Solat13 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Solat13 wrote:

No problem and usually I'm pretty good with my numbers. I must have copied the wrong thing from Cot's. Anyhow, if the blogger would have swapped Hall for the fact the Sox are paying Lugo 9 million I would have had no arguments. ;)

Haha, thats true. I didnt even think about that.
    A wild game up in Toronto as the Sox now lead 13-9 over the Jays. That was a long inning, now can the bullpen hold this lead.
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Where's the bullpen 13-10 now?

• PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    g under p wrote:
    It's been a very frustrating start to the season... :( Why can't we sign Pedro on for this season? It would bring back some energy to the team, and to the fans... just a thought ;):D I truly believe he has one more good season in him... :thumbup:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Josh Beckett is killing my Fantasy team!
    NERDS!
    g under p wrote:
    It's been a very frustrating start to the season... :( Why can't we sign Pedro on for this season? It would bring back some energy to the team, and to the fans... just a thought ;):D I truly believe he has one more good season in him... :thumbup:

I have no idea why no team has signed him for the season, I was very surprised by that especially after his performance last year in Philly. I'm watching the game on ATDHE.NET and now I can keep up with Beantown sports. is the game on up there where you are?

peace

g under p wrote:
    g under p wrote:

I have no idea why no team has signed him for the season, I was very surprised by that especially after his performance last year in Philly. I'm watching the game on ATDHE.NET and now I can keep up with Beantown sports. is the game on up there where you are?

peace
    I haven't checked... it's been too painful..

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    jimed14 wrote:
    The thing is, if those guys don't pan out ... teams like the Sox and Yanks can absorb the costs.

If Chapman doesn't pan out for the Reds, or the kid the Jays snapped up doesn't pan out ... that really hurts them.

Chapman's a bit of a head case (I remember watching him implode during the WBC), I'm sure that went into him not wanting to be with a big media market. Can you imagine the pressure on his if he were in NYC?
    How can it hurt the Blue Jays? Ten million ain't really a lot when you take into consideration how much money Rogers pulls in every year. They're probably one of the few teams that could outspend the Yankees, if they wanted to.
    Nothing comes easy for The Sox 13-12 whew

• Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    g under p wrote:

They've already pissed off Wakefield by sliding him back, so if they get Pedro, who gets the shaft now? It would bring more dischord than harmony to the rotation. The only way this would be a good thing is if they finally bite the bullet and trade Clay to SD for A-Gonzo. But Buchholz has been the only starter performing the way he should be right now.
    g under p wrote:

They've already pissed off Wakefield by sliding him back, so if they get Pedro, who gets the shaft now? It would bring more dischord than harmony to the rotation. The only way this would be a good thing is if they finally bite the bullet and trade Clay to SD for A-Gonzo. But Buchholz has been the only starter performing the way he should be right now.
    Well don't we have Dice K, and Lackey out? They need to do something, and I think Pedro would bring the team back to life!!!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    g under p wrote:

Well don't we have Dice K, and Lackey out? They need to do something, and I think Pedro would bring the team back to life!!![/quote]

Actually I believe Dice K just returned to the line up and Wakefield will be in the bull pen. I'm watching the game 1-1 so far.

Peace

I think I might watch the game too. I really need a laptop.. :D

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad

I'm going to figure out how to hook up my laptop to my TV now that I can watch Beatown games now. :D

Peace

g under p wrote:

I'm going to figure out how to hook up my laptop to my TV now that I can watch Beatown games now. :D

Peace
    My son did that! It's pretty cool.. ;)

How are the Sox doing?

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    Man, Buchholz was dealing tonight!

8 IP, 1 run.

Ramon Ramirez BETTER finish this up and keep the win for Clay.

Nice win. Much needed strong outing from Buchholz.

Game winning RBI to Mike Lowell, who drew a pinch hit walk with the bases loaded (pinch hitting for Ortiz ... that had to sting big Papi).

Things are looking a little better.

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    christ, 13-12 last night and 2-1 tonight
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Thanks to Poncier for this pic.
    Boston+Red+Sox+Women%27s+Burnout+V-Neck+Tie+Top+touch+by+Alyssa+Milano.jpg
    Alyssa liked how Jon pitched tonight.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115

Small steps.
    Have to get Victor going and get Jacoby back.
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329

Small steps.

Yup. Nice three game sweep. Couple of gems in the mix. Onward and upward boys!

Go Sox!
    Wilds wrote:

Small steps.

Yup. Nice three game sweep. Couple of gems in the mix. Onward and upward boys!

Go Sox!
    Great going boys!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad