Boston Red Sox

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I'd like Papelbon a little more if he could have a few more 1-2-3 9th innings this year.

I bemoaned how many of his saves last year were not "clean".

But, he gets it done again ... LOVE THAT DIRTY WATER.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Sox Win! :)
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:
    hell yeah, Dustin with some big clutch hits!

Off Joba too ... double bonus.

Do you guys really like papelbon? is is possible to like that big of a douche?

Isn't some guy named Arod on your team.
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    True, I suppose it's easy to like douchebags if they come through for your team!
    tcaporale wrote:
    True, I suppose it's easy to like douchebags if they come through for your team!

I'm not sure what Papelbon has done to make any Sox fan think he's a douchebag.

Where, with A-rod ... where does one begin ... how about here ...

A-Rod%20kissing%20mirror.jpg

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    As soon as Neil Diamond came out to sing Sweet Caroline, I knew it was going to be a special night!

This red sox team promises alot, not just because they won tonight. This is one of the best lineups they´ve had in their entire history, imo.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,180
    jimed14 wrote:
    tcaporale wrote:

I'm not sure what Papelbon has done to make any Sox fan think he's a douchebag.

Where, with A-rod ... where does one begin ... how about here ...

A-Rod%20kissing%20mirror.jpg

:lol:
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    arod.jpg
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    The last few pages of this thread have been hilarious.

Nice win to kick off the new campaign.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    Josh Beckett and the Red Sox have agreed to a four-year, $68 million contract
    extension. A press conference is scheduled for 3 p.m. this afternoon.
    To read more, visit http://www.boston.com

Good news, glad it's done now on with this long season.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    force-10 wrote:
    As soon as Neil Diamond came out to sing Sweet Caroline, I knew it was going to be a special night!

This red sox team promises alot, not just because they won tonight. This is one of the best lineups they´ve had in their entire history, imo.

You are kidding right? This is the second time I have seen you write something similar about this lineup. You are the only person in the world I have heard utter something even close to this. You can't even think about comparing this lineup to the lineup they had with Manny and Ortiz.
    red-sox-papelbon-grabbing-mannys-dick.jpg
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    force-10 wrote:

You are kidding right? This is the second time I have seen you write something similar about this lineup. You are the only person in the world I have heard utter something even close to this. You can't even think about comparing this lineup to the lineup they had with Manny and Ortiz.
    I actually agree with Cliffy. This lineup isn't in the top half of Sox lineups the last 10 years. It was a completely different story with Manny/Papi. And the Yankees have a decidedly better lineup than the Sox this year.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,668
    jimed14 wrote:
    I'd like Papelbon a little more if he could have a few more 1-2-3 9th innings this year.

I bemoaned how many of his saves last year were not "clean".

But, he gets it done again ... LOVE THAT DIRTY WATER.

Thats how almost 100% of "Lights Out Lidge's" saves are recorded.
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    force-10 wrote:

I actually agree with Cliffy. This lineup isn't in the top half of Sox lineups the last 10 years. It was a completely different story with Manny/Papi. And the Yankees have a decidedly better lineup than the Sox this year.

What I like about this lineup is that everyone is a decent batter (and fielder). With bumbs, of course. Previous years this was not the case. I´m sorry, but I will stick with my opinion. Maybe in september I will be eating myself for this, but right now I have lots of expectation in this team this year.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    I'm also very happy about the team the Sox have this year. Great pitching and excellent defense combined with a better than adequate lineup make this year's team very solid in my opinion. I'm happy with the moves Theo made this past offseason.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I never said you shouldn't be happy, they are a very very good team all around but from purely a lineup perspective, my point was that you can't compare it to previous years. If anything, I would be talking about the rotation as being one of the best you have had.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    What a GREAT Game!!! :thumbup: The opening ceremonies were awesome, Pedro throwing out the 1st pitch, and that cute little 5 year old's speech was simply priceless!!! :clap::clap::clap: And of course the RED SOX win over the Yankees!!! ;):lol:

Congratulations to Josh Beckett!!!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    I never said you shouldn't be happy, they are a very very good team all around but from purely a lineup perspective, my point was that you can't compare it to previous years. If anything, I would be talking about the rotation as being one of the best you have had.

My issue with the Sox hitting lineup is that there's no one in there that is feared in previous years. Manny and Papi were a deadly combo but i don't see any of that so far this year. however, it's very early and this current line up could pull itself together and become a hitting force.

Peace

For those watching on MLB Network, is John Smoltz going to call Jacoby Ellsbury "Jacob" all night?

It's a bit annoying, especially when these guys were teammates last year.

;)

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    jimed14 wrote:
    For those watching on MLB Network, is John Smoltz going to call Jacoby Ellsbury "Jacob" all night?

;)

reminds me of the Rickey Henderson/John Olerud story, which I'm sure you know.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    imalive wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

;)

reminds me of the Rickey Henderson/John Olerud story, which I'm sure you know.

The Olerud story I believe is myth. I'm pretty sure that was debunked during the lead up to the Hall of Fame weekend.

The check story, where Rickey actually framed his $1M bonus check on his wall instead of cashing it, and an A's employee had to actually tell him to kindly cash it, that was indeed true.

V-Mart! :twisted:

Nice to see Bard mixing in the curve and changeup to go with the heater.
    Sox would be up 4-3 if it weren't for that botched double play ball where they called Teixeira safe, when he was out.

4-4 heading into the 8th ... man, these two teams just love to fight every game out.

jimed14 wrote:
    Sox would be up 4-3 if it weren't for that botched double play ball where they called Teixeira safe, when he was out.

WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I kid. Arod was safe and called out earlier though.
    Looks like there's a pretty big fight going on behind 3rd base during Swisher's AB, no one is watching the game and all heads are craned, peering into the stands.

Also heard a very loud OOOOOOOOOOOOOH at one point. Something big goin' down.

jimed14 wrote:
    4-4 heading into the 8th ... man, these two teams just love to fight every game out.

That they do, a game in less than 4 hours would be nice. Someone needs to tell Bob Costas this is not Olympic Figure Skating, you are allowed to show a little emotion.

Not sure why I split your post into two posts from me, guess I just like posting in your thread.
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, THE BEST DEFENSIVE TEAM EVER!!!!!!!!

Sorry, I will get out of your thread now.
    Damn it, Scutaro.