Boston Red Sox

Comments

• FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Thanks for the memories Normar!!! ;):mrgreen: Good Luck!!! :thumbup:
    +1 I can't rip the guy any more.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    think we'll see a 5 out in right?

Not unless they amend their team rules like they did for Johnny Pesky.

Numbers have only been retired by the Red Sox if a player spends at least ten seasons in Boston and is then elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Solat13 wrote:
    think we'll see a 5 out in right?

Not unless they amend their team rules like they did for Johnny Pesky.

Numbers have only been retired by the Red Sox if a player spends at least ten seasons in Boston and is then elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.

and they usually hold back the numbers for folks they intend on retiring, e.g., no one wore 14 after Jim Rice.

Baldelli wore 5 last year.

No way 5 gets retired.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    Where's Pedro this year?

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    jimed14 wrote:
    and they usually hold back the numbers for folks they intend on retiring, e.g., no one wore 14 after Jim Rice.
    I'm guessing you'll be making the trip back for JimEd day?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    jimed14 wrote:

Jim Rice day? What day is this?

His number was retired last year ... what am I missing?

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    jimed14 wrote:

Jim Rice day? What day is this?

His number was retired last year ... what am I missing?
    Man, I gotta stop drinking on Friday afternoons... :lol::lol::lol: It was last year.
    If you were planning on buying that Mike Lowell jersey ... might want to wait until after spring training to get it in the bargain bin ... appears that the Marlins have stepped up their interest in Lowell, and potentially the Mets (because, they don't have enough 1st basemen in camp???) ... and the Rangers are still out there as well.

I'm thinking he's gone before April 1.

jimed14 wrote:
    If you were planning on buying that Mike Lowell jersey ... might want to wait until after spring training to get it in the bargain bin ... appears that the Marlins have stepped up their interest in Lowell, and potentially the Mets (because, they don't have enough 1st basemen in camp???) ... and the Rangers are still out there as well.

I'm thinking he's gone before April 1.
    Tell me this isn't true... :(

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,180
    g under p wrote:
    Going to see the SOX play the CARDS on March 12th in Jupiter a nice B-day gift. Hopefully I'll get to see Dice-K pitch a few innings cause the Sox season will seem to hold together as long as the pitching holds up.

Peace
    Enjoy the game my friend!!!

I wished, it rained cats and dogs that day and the day before, game postponed. Ahwell next year, but just my attempt alone will bring great tidings to the Sox this year.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,182
    Very pleased with how Lackey is pitching this spring. Really showing he wants to do well for the Red Sox. Our pitching is going to be great and should be a lot of fun to watch!
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
    I can't wait for opening day @ Fenway!!!

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    +1
    +1
    They'll be playing the Yankees, ought to be interesting... :mrgreen:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
    Appears the Sox and Beckett are close to a 4 year extension.

I can live with that. 4 years takes him to age 33. Not too old.

Sounds good to me!!! :thumbup: :mrgreen:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    jimed14 wrote:
    Appears the Sox and Beckett are close to a 4 year extension.

I can live with that. 4 years takes him to age 33. Not too old.

The rotation would be looking strong with everyone under contract for the next four years.
    Beckett's a solid ace with highly productive years ahead of him. I think there are a lot of teams out there that will offer him a 5 year deal next offseason, and given how thin next year's free agent pitching class is, the Sox would be crazy not to add a 5th year to make Beckett happy. I heard that his physical revealed his shoulder was actually stronger than two years ago. They've been talking about this shit on EEI all day today.
  • jmurrayjmurray Posts: 3,538
    Bernie Carbo revealed he was high as hell when he hit the HR in game 6 of the '75 world series.
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    I haven´t read this thread lately. But I must say the team´s roster looks pretty damn good. Much better than last year. The only thing that pisses me off is the fact that jacoby changed his number. I have a brand new tshirt with his late number! double damn!

Lets just hope they keep improving their performance.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/artic ... p&c_id=bos

WASHINGTON -- Manager Terry Francona said the Red Sox's starting lineup for Saturday's final exhibition game vs. Washington at Nationals Park is likely the one he'll go with for Opening Night against the Yankees.
    The lineup features Jacoby Ellsbury (left field) leading off, followed by Dustin Pedroia (second base), Victor Martinez (catcher) and Kevin Youkilis (first base) in the cleanup spot. David Ortiz (designated hitter) is fifth, followed by Adrian Beltre (third base), J.D. Drew (right field), Mike Cameron (center field) and Marco Scutaro (shortstop) batting ninth.

Francona said he had to make a decision about splitting up Ortiz and Drew for strategic reasons.

"I did like the idea of J.D. hitting behind David, but it's just too easy for the other manager to use one left-hander," Francona said.

This looks very good.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
    Man the Sox look like thye may need some OFFENSE this year. Let's GO PAPI!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    Man the Sox look like thye may need some OFFENSE this year. Let's GO PAPI!

Peace

Dude, they've played 2 innings! And scored a run!

I'll be the first to admit ... the days of Papi/Manny feats of extrordinary ridiculousness of 40+ HRs and 120 RBis each are long gone ... but ... they'll still be in the top 4 or 5 in runs scored in the AL, and certianly in the top 2 or 3 in runs allowed.

It's a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong season.

Something about seeing Dr Dre in a Red Sox jersey ... I love it!!!!

Yooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooouk

jimed14 wrote:
    Something about seeing Dr Dre in a Red Sox jersey ... I love it!!!!

Damn I missed that, I'm sure that was a kool shot.

Peace

we're all tied up!

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    Um...Red Sox, Ronan Tynan lives in Boston now and is available. this serious?
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    Steven Tyler???? :wtf:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,912
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Um...Red Sox, Ronan Tynan lives in Boston now and is available. this serious?

at least this version didn't go on for five minutes. ;)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16