Boston Red Sox

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    mca47 wrote:
    Not only did Yuk charge the mound when he probably shouldn't, but he threw his helmet (fine+more suspension days), and ended up on his back without getting a punch in!

Pretty pathetic mound charge if you ask me!!

:lol:

If you are going to make a point and get susupended, at least make it worth your time!
    LOL!

Well, Porcello was throwing at him ... is there any doubt about that?

The helmet toss was weak.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • as much as it sucks that youk will be suspended for a few games... we fuckin needed that to happen. i hope that got the team fired up.. cause if it didnt.. i dont like our chances

Like I said weeks ago... that guy's a fucking douchebag. Try to explain to me again how classy a baseball team Boston is?
    hot tempered mother fucker he is.. ill admit that. not cool on his part, but maybe this will get something going for us. dont talk about how much class we have or dont have when your youngest pitcher goes and throws at martinez.. fails.. then throws at youkilis.. id be pretty pissed too. still doesnt excuse him for throwing the helmet.. or charging the mound. like i said, maybe something good comes out of this.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • mca47 wrote:
    Not only did Yuk charge the mound when he probably shouldn't, but he threw his helmet (fine+more suspension days), and ended up on his back without getting a punch in!

If you are going to make a point and get susupended, at least make it worth your time!
    LOL!
    it might be worth his time if we go out there and win a bunch of games noow.

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    edited August 2009
    jimed14 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

LOL!

I would say there's doubt. Look at the clip, you can see the annoyance on Porcello after it hits Youkilis. He's a 20 year old rookie pitching on the road against the Red Sox. You can see he looked frustrated at losing control of another pitch, then he looked confused and scared when Youkilis came stomping out in the grips of roid rage and threw his helmet at him like the punk ass he is. Least Porcello managed to use the meathead's momentum to toss him on his back and get the upper hand for Youk's little temper tantrum. I hope somebody spiked that piece of shit.

As to throwing at hitters... Boston beaned Cabrera twice. I don't think Porcello's was intentional, but even if it was, you can't tell me this was unprovoked.
    Post edited by soulsinging on
  • jimed14 wrote:
    mca47 wrote:

LOL!

I would say there's doubt. Look at the clip, you can see the annoyance on Porcello after it hits Youkilis. He's a 20 year old rookie pitching on the road against the Red Sox. You can see he looked frustrated at losing control of another pitch, then he looked confused and scared when Youkilis came stomping out in the grips of roid rage and threw his helmet at him like the punk ass he is. Least Porcello managed to use the meathead's momentum to toss him on his back and get the upper hand for Youk's little temper tantrum. I hope somebody spiked that piece of shit.
    ...im the apologist here.

edited August 2009
    jimed14 wrote:

I would say so. Look at the clip, you can see the annoyance on him after it hits Youkilis. He's a 20 year old rookie pitching on the road against the Red Sox. You can see he looked frustrated at losing control of another pitch, then he looked confused and scared when Youkilis came stomping out in the grips of roid rage and threw his helmet at him like the punk ass he is. Least Porcello managed to use the meathead's momentum to toss him on his back and get the upper hand for in Youk's little temper tantrum.

Porcello's confusion was the only thing that had me at a pause.

But think about it, Cabrera has been hit two nights in a row (although, tonight, he was mid swing, pulled back, then was hit, so, it wasn't Tazawa's fault) .. and then he left the game.

Porcello then went inside at VMart.

Then he plunked Youkilis square in the back, and it wasn't even close to the strike zone.

Porcello has only walked 38 batters all year (so, he's not wild) ... and do you know how many batters Porcello has hit this year in over 110 IP? 2 ... Kevin Youkilis and .... Kevin Youkilis.

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    ...im the apologist here.

Yup, Here you are acting like it was totally understandable that the caveman threw his helmet at a 20 year old rookie after what may or may not have actually been an intentional throw.
    jimed14 wrote:

But think about it, Cabrera has been hit two nights in a row (although, tonight, he was mid swing, pulled back, then was hit, so, it wasn't Tazawa's fault) .. and then he left the game.

Then he plunked Youkilis square in the back, and it wasn't even close to the strike zone.

Porcello has only walked 38 batters all year (so, he's not wild) ... and do you know how many batters Porcello has hit this year in over 110 IP? 2 ... Kevin Youkilis and .... Kevin Youkilis.

Maybe he gets nervous pitching to a psychopath. Hopefully the next one will be up and in and break the fucker's jaw instead of bouncing off his steroid infused back.
    jimed14 wrote:

Maybe he gets nervous pitching to a psychopath. Hopefully the next one will be up and in and break the fucker's jaw instead of bouncing off his steroid infused back.

ok, you can say you don't like him ... I'm cool with that. The helmet toss was weak, I said so before. Youk is certainly one of those guys that if he's not on your team, he probably rubs you the wrong way.

But throwing at his head is a bit extreme.

Steroid infused back ... now you just sound silly.

jimed14 wrote:
    ok, you can say you don't like him ... I'm cool with that. The helmet toss was weak, I said so before. Youk is certainly one of those guys that if he's not on your team, he probably rubs you the wrong way.

But throwing at his head is a bit extreme.

Steroid infused back ... now you just sound silly.

Well lucky for him, the Tigers pitchers are probably classier than I am. But that guy is a douchebag, no two ways about it, and it doesn't matter whose team he's on. I wouldn't want him on the Tigers either. He's like Ty Cobb without the talent... a repulsive, disgusting human being with no character.
    Agree to disagee ...

Burgandy.jpeg

• Youkilis is a complete idiot who made a Don Zimmer-esque charge to the mound. He was whining like a little bitch yesterday when he got hit too. Earlier in the year at Detroit he was crying about Rayburn running hard to first to beat out a grounder and making contact with him. If you dont like getting beaned, tell your pitchers to stop throwing at Cabrera.

...and yes, this is coming from a Tiger fan. :D
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
    If you dont like getting beaned, tell your pitchers to stop throwing at Cabrera.

Cabrera getting hit tonight was Cabrera's fault ... he was swinging at the pitch he got hit with.

Also, this was Tazawa's first ever start in the bigs, don't think he wanted to throw at Cabrera at all.

• milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280

I would say there's doubt.

I think he threw at him. No doubt in my mind that was a purpose pitch. I don't mind it either. I think there is a line between trying to hurt guys and trying to make it known you aren't going to stand by and let your guys get worked. The last two games, Boston has been terrified to pitch to Cabrera, and then hit him twice.
    I think Porcello saw Youkalis throw his bitch fit yesterday (I don't think Jackson threw at him on purpose) and decided to make a statement. Youk charged the mound, and the youngster took him down with authority. There are no winners here. Both guys will sit down for a bit and live to play another day.

PS- If anyone is watching Baseball Tonight, Jon Kruk has some really entertaining things to say about "Baseball fight protocall"...
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    you don't throw your helmet at a defenseless pitcher. thats just being a gutless punk and shows a lack of respect for the game. i have no problem with players charging the mound. its always been part of the game and always will be a part of the game.kinda funny youk got taken down considering he isn't a lightweight by any means.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

jimed14 wrote:
    Agree to disagee ...

Burgandy.jpeg

Fair enough. But you're disagreeing with a lot more people than just me... ESPN, MLB Tonight, and even (from what I hear) the Boston announcers seem to think Porcello was not throwing at Youkilis on purpose.

Ah well, hopefully it'll fire up the Tigers as much as it did Boston last night. It cost them bad to lose Porcello so early, especially after Jackson not getting a good start the night before. With Beckett on the mound, they better have their a-game tonight.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Did I see that right, did Youkilis really get tossed aside like that by some skinny pitcher?...tough guy..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
    The Champ wrote:
    Did I see that right, did Youkilis really get tossed aside like that by some skinny pitcher?...tough guy..

Don't be too hard on the guy, he did the best he could for someone that has a pair of steroid-shrunken testicles where his brain should be.
  • jimed14 wrote:
    If you dont like getting beaned, tell your pitchers to stop throwing at Cabrera.

Cabrera getting hit tonight was Cabrera's fault ... he was swinging at the pitch he got hit with.

Also, this was Tazawa's first ever start in the bigs, don't think he wanted to throw at Cabrera at all.

Fair enough on Cabrera, i dont think he was hit on purpose the 2nd time. But when any teams best player gets hit 2 games in a row by the same team, you should expect retaliation.

And i'll admit, I absolutely HATE Boston (doesnt help at all that my fiance loves them and my bro has been a "life long " Red Sox fan except those memories that I have growing up of him being a Tigers fan)

But I digress. I hope Leyland starts Porcello tonight. He only threw 1 inning last night.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
    jimed14 wrote:
    Agree to disagee ...

Fair enough. But you're disagreeing with a lot more people than just me... ESPN, MLB Tonight, and even (from what I hear) the Boston announcers seem to think Porcello was not throwing at Youkilis on purpose.

Not sure who you were listening to, but, I just heard Steve Phllips on ESPN, and indeed, he completely thinks Porcello was throwing at Youkilis (and at V Mart in the first as well). Furthermore, I just watched Kruk and Eric Young, and EY called it a purpose pitch.

I was watching the Red Sox Broadcast, head announcer Don Orcillo totally thought he was trowing at Youk. Eckersley was just dumbfounded at why he would, but, later admited it was intentional.

I don't see how you wan watch that pitch sail in the the CENTER of Youkilis' back and not think he was aiming for him.

• why did Porcello get tossed? Was he supposed to just stay there and get hit with a helmet then pounded on by someone 10 years older than him and much bigger? If that's the case, every team should bat their worst player 1st, have him charge the mound and get the other team spitcher tossed
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    why did Porcello get tossed? Was he supposed to just stay there and get hit with a helmet then pounded on by someone 10 years older than him and much bigger? If that's the case, every team should bat their worst player 1st, have him charge the mound and get the other team spitcher tossed

Well you first would have to have a pitch thrown inside to the point of backing the batter off the plate. Then the batter would've reason to charge the mound to get a teams best pitcher out of the game. You can't just have a batter charge the mound just for the sake of it.

I do get your point though as to why Porcello got tossed especially if he didn't throw a punch, the pitcher therefore is at a certain disadvantage.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

why did Porcello get tossed? Was he supposed to just stay there and get hit with a helmet then pounded on by someone 10 years older than him and much bigger? If that's the case, every team should bat their worst player 1st, have him charge the mound and get the other team spitcher tossed

Porcello threw at Youkilis, it's pretty obvious (he also threw at V Mart in the previous inning). It was a culmination of 2 nights. I'm guessing that's why he got tossed.

As for Youkilis being "much bigger", Porcello, while lighter, has 4 inches on Youkilis. If you're gonna throw at someone intentionally, you have to expect being charged, especially in the AL.

• g under p wrote:

Well you first would have to have a pitch thrown inside to the point of backing the batter off the plate. Then the batter would've reason to charge the mound to get a teams best pitcher out of the game. You can't just have a batter charge the mound just for the sake of it.

I do get your point though as to why Porcello got tossed especially if he didn't throw a punch, the pitcher therefore is at a certain disadvantage.

Peace

ok, good point. guess you can't just charge the mound after strike 1
    Youkilis, Porcello suspended 5 games each

August 12, 2009

NEW YORK—Boston's Kevin Youkilis and Detroit pitcher Rick Porcello have been suspended for five games each and fined by Major League Baseball for their roles in a brawl.

The pair asked the players' union to appeal the penalties, which will be held off pending completion of the process.

MLB vice president Bob Watson cited Youkilis for charging the mound, throwing his helmet at Porcello and inciting Tuesday night's brawl. Watson penalized Porcello for intentionally throwing pitches at Victor Martinez in the first inning and Youkilis in the second.

In addition, Detroit pitched Edwin Jackson was fined Wednesday for what Watson said were aggressive actions during brawl.

NOTE - for a pitcher, a 5 game suspension means far less than for an every day player.

• that's bullshit. porcello deserved nothing, youkilis 10. How can you say they deserevd the same amount, even understanding how little a 5 game ban means to a starter? Youkilis gets 5 for charging, 5 for the helmet, If I'm in charge. he could have hurt Detroits best pitcher,who's 20, and wanted no part of a fight. Again, is he supposed to just stand there and get pummeled, with weapons? baseball's all fucked up. garza admitted he was throwing at Teixeira and got no ban, while pitchers have been suspended for throwing close, but not hitting a batter
    that's bullshit. porcello deserved nothing, youkilis 10. How can you say they deserevd the same amount, even understanding how little a 5 game ban means to a starter? Youkilis gets 5 for charging, 5 for the helmet, If I'm in charge. he could have hurt Detroits best pitcher,who's 20, and wanted no part of a fight. Again, is he supposed to just stand there and get pummeled, with weapons? baseball's all fucked up. garza admitted he was throwing at Teixeira and got no ban, while pitchers have been suspended for throwing close, but not hitting a batter

If he wanted no part of the fight, he should not be throwing at batters.

They are both appealing, I'm guessing nothing will come of that though.

jimed14 wrote:
    Not sure who you were listening to, but, I just heard Steve Phllips on ESPN, and indeed, he completely thinks Porcello was throwing at Youkilis (and at V Mart in the first as well). Furthermore, I just watched Kruk and Eric Young, and EY called it a purpose pitch.

I was watching the Red Sox Broadcast, head announcer Don Orcillo totally thought he was trowing at Youk. Eckersley was just dumbfounded at why he would, but, later admited it was intentional.

I don't see how you wan watch that pitch sail in the the CENTER of Youkilis' back and not think he was aiming for him.

I guess that's what comes of reading online sources. It was some blog rundown I read somewhere. I stand corrected. Though I still disagree.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    REMY LOOKS GREAT!!!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• jimed14 wrote:
    Youkilis, Porcello suspended 5 games each

August 12, 2009

NEW YORK—Boston's Kevin Youkilis and Detroit pitcher Rick Porcello have been suspended for five games each and fined by Major League Baseball for their roles in a brawl.

The pair asked the players' union to appeal the penalties, which will be held off pending completion of the process.

MLB vice president Bob Watson cited Youkilis for charging the mound, throwing his helmet at Porcello and inciting Tuesday night's brawl. Watson penalized Porcello for intentionally throwing pitches at Victor Martinez in the first inning and Youkilis in the second.

In addition, Detroit pitched Edwin Jackson was fined Wednesday for what Watson said were aggressive actions during brawl.

NOTE - for a pitcher, a 5 game suspension means far less than for an every day player.
    fair punishment on both ends... the fine that youk recieves will be alot larger than whatever porcello recieves.