Options

The BCS will be fun this year

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Bye Bye BC :)

The weak teams are slowing disappearing. Now if LSU would stop getting so damn lucky.

yeah. i used to be hoping someone would take them out of the equation so osu could play BC ;) but after watching asu-oregon today, oregon looks like a much better team than lsu. i'd enjoy an osu-oregon national championship. at least we'd put up a better fight than michigan ;)

the question is... does kansas jump over anyone? nebraska's not that good, but they STEAMROLLED them.

one last thought: les miles reminds me of the douchebag father from 'mallrats.'
  • Options
    dg1979usdg1979us Posts: 568
    LSU is the best team in the country. What you guys consider lucky, is really a team that has played tough games week in and week out finding ways to win. Nobody thought Florida was the best team in the nation last year either, until they had a month off and threw a beating down. Oregon is really good too, and OSU is certainly good, but I think LSU would handle either pretty easily in a bowl game situation.
  • Options
    yeah. i used to be hoping someone would take them out of the equation so osu could play BC ;) but after watching asu-oregon today, oregon looks like a much better team than lsu. i'd enjoy an osu-oregon national championship. at least we'd put up a better fight than michigan ;)

the question is... does kansas jump over anyone? nebraska's not that good, but they STEAMROLLED them.

one last thought: les miles reminds me of the douchebag father from 'mallrats.'

Kansas still has Missouri, and probably Oklahoma in the big 12 title game. They might jump some teams for now, but I really dont think they will be in the discussion after the regular season.

And Les Miles is an intense motherfucker. Everytime they are on the CBS game (which might be regional), he looks like he is going to bite the head off the girl interviewing him after halftime. I think I would almost be scared of him if i played for him.
  • Options
    dg1979us wrote:
    LSU is the best team in the country. What you guys consider lucky, is really a team that has played tough games week in and week out finding ways to win. Nobody thought Florida was the best team in the nation last year either, until they had a month off and threw a beating down. Oregon is really good too, and OSU is certainly good, but I think LSU would handle either pretty easily in a bowl game situation.

what's the month off got to do with it?

i think this is a very different ohio state team from last year. they'd not go down nearly so easy. last year, they bought their own hype during their 2 months off and paid the price. they'd have a lot to prove this time around. you do highlight the one thing that concerns me though... lsu is used to playing big games for 4 quarters. ohio state hasn't had to play 4 quarters of good football all season. that would be a problem. but i still think they'd be sharp enough to make it an exciting game.

i think oregon would shred lsu and ohio state though. they looked pretty amazing today. you make a good point about kansas though. i doubt they will last. im just wondering how high they will get before the fall.
  • Options
    what's the month off got to do with it?

i think this is a very different ohio state team from last year. they'd not go down nearly so easy. and i also think oregon would shred lsu.

Oregon would not beat LSU. Do you see the schedule the SEC teams play? Its week in and week out with top notch teams. THe month off to gameplan, and gets the players healthy and not so beaten up, means they are running on full throttle by the time the bowl game comes around. Like I said, this LSU team reminds me a lot of Florida last year. I dont think they are quite as good as Fla last year, but the way they find ways to win every week, is just like FLA last year.

LSU beat VT (a top ten team until last week) 48-7 in the second week of the season. Then they get in the SEC schedule, and they struggle to win. WHy? THe SEC is easily the most physical conference in the country, and it takes a toll on all the teams. LSU should win out the regular season. They will have a tough one in the SEC championship, but if they win that, they will beat Oregon pretty convincingly. And if it ends up being LSU-OSU, I dont think it would be a 41-14 game, but I do think LSU would win by 2 TDs or so.
  • Options
    Just curious. Do most of you guys cheer for your conference to do well? I was listening to a syndicated sports talk host who thought it was weird that fans of a specific SEC team, cheer for the other SEC teams, when they are playing out of conference or bowl games. And I am an SEC fan, and I do cheer for SEC teams. So just checking if that is a SEC mentality, or if other conferences do that too.
  • Options
    dg1979us wrote:
    Just curious. Do most of you guys cheer for your conference to do well? I was listening to a syndicated sports talk host who thought it was weird that fans of a specific SEC team, cheer for the other SEC teams, when they are playing out of conference or bowl games. And I am an SEC fan, and I do cheer for SEC teams. So just checking if that is a SEC mentality, or if other conferences do that too.

i do that for the big ten much of the time. i was pulling for michigan to beat usc last year, but that had more to do with rooting against usc i suppose. i cheer against purdue. but other than that, unless a team has really impressed me, i root big ten. sometimes i enjoy watching a team play so much (oregon) that i may root for them.

as to your points, at least you admit to being biased for any sec team. yeah, lsu is good and the sec is the most consistently tough conference. i'd love to see a playoff system so we could get a better handle on this stuff. sometimes time off can hurt though. the big ten (aside from sucking this year) needs to revamp their sched. ohio state had 2 months off before the national championship and it showed. they looked pathetic... like the first game of the season. granted, florida had the best defense i've ever seen and ohio state wouldn't have won that game anyway, but i don't think it would have been as one-sided if they hadn't been so cold. one month is ideal.

i'm excited about ohio state's prospects this year if they get past michigan and illinois. once again, the time off will hurt them, but at least this time they'd have something to prove. i got the feeling last year they believed all the good things said about them and showed up expecting florida to roll over and they paid dearly for it. this year they would be hungry. can they beat lsu or oregon? i don't know. probably not, in all honesty. but then, underdogs tend to perform pretty well in the national championship and i think they'd make it a damned exciting game. lsu has gotten a lot of lucky gambles this year but ohio state doesn't make the mistakes that have allowed them to come back. oregon's defense is questionable, but so is ohio state's offense at times. ohio state's raw talent is suspect and untested. it's going to be fun to find out what they're made of over the next few weeks.

as to oregon-lsu (if it came to that), again, i stick with oregon. lsu's defense is impressive, sure. that's how florida dismantled ohio state last season. but dennis dixon is 10 times the qb troy smith was and he doesn't make mistakes. lsu has escaped a few losses by forcing turnovers that i don't think they'd get from oregon. my money would be on oregon.
  • Options
    fun little article from espn.com's gameday:

Life might not always imitate art, but in this case, football imitates politics. Here is a guide to the current BCS wannabes and the presidential candidates they most resemble.

Ohio State: Hillary Clinton The Buckeyes don't make waves. They go out of their way not to be controversial, including not scheduling anyone this season who could beat them. They hope to bland their way to the nomination.

LSU: Rudy Giuliani The Tigers are strong on defense, and their fans aggressively promote their qualifications. They gloss over their past missteps, hoping everyone focuses on their willingness to take on anybody.

Oregon: John Edwards A good-looking team with an engaging personality, but the Ducks' stance on defensive issues is wanting. Do they have the substance to go all the way?

Oklahoma: Barack Obama Here's a team that looks like BCS material, and it has all the resources in the world. But its potential continues to outweigh its performance. Maybe the next race?

Kansas: Mike Huckabee A plucky candidate that can't get anyone to pay attention, the Jayhawks keep hanging around, charming people and slowly moving their way up the polls.

West Virginia: Mitt Romney The Mountaineers have great numbers and a wide-open attack, but they have done nothing to assure the voters they have the gravitas to make it to the top.

USC: Fred Thompson The Trojans get a bump from their Hollywood connection, but once they got on the stump, they looked nothing at all like a BCS candidate.

Hawaii: Ron Paul No matter how the Warriors perform, no matter how much support they drum up among the public, the opinion-makers never will take them seriously.
  • Options

Kansas has a game against Mizzou (#6 BCS) and then a probable Big 12 Championship match-up versus Oklahoma (#5 BCS). If neither of those opponents lose before facing KU, and KU can beat them both, it would be a crime that an undefeated BCS conference team wouldn't make the BCS Championship game, especially after beating two Top Ten BCS teams in the final weeks.
  • Options
    Kansas has a game against Mizzou (#6 BCS) and then a probable Big 12 Championship match-up versus Oklahoma (#5 BCS). If neither of those opponents lose before facing KU, and KU can beat them both, it would be a crime that an undefeated BCS conference team wouldn't make the BCS Championship game, especially after beating two Top Ten BCS teams in the final weeks.

i completely agree. of course, ohio state (assuming they win out) will have beat 3 ranked teams from a bcs conference in the last 4 weeks and people still say they don't deserve the berth ;)

i am pretty highly skeptical that kansas can win out to be honest. but if they do, you're right, they deserve to go. if they don't... that leaves basically 4 serious contenders: ohio state, oklahoma, lsu, oregon (assuming, of course, none of these teams lose). which two go? osu seems a lock being the only undefeated team in that group, even though i'm not sure they're the best team in that bunch. lsu deserves cred for surviving the toughest conference even if they didn't always look pretty doing it. oklahoma hasn't has as tough a sched but also hasn't always been impressive winning. oregon has looked pretty untouchable all year minus one close loss at cal, but hasn't had the consistently tough sched of lsu.

imagine a playoff system, with these top teams from each conference going at it... that would be something to see.
  • Options
    i just realized something... why are all the BCS games in the south? while we're talking about how the sec is so tough and so much faster... i'd love to see them come up to columbus and play in the fucking snow and see how fast they are when they can't feel their fingers. any matches between the sec and other conferences are always on their turf... hotter than shit in the middle of winter and humid as hell. the same way it's easier to hit a homerun in the heat than the cold, let's see the sec outrun everyone when their blood is struggling to even reach their feet.
  • Options
    i just realized something... why are all the BCS games in the south? while we're talking about how the sec is so tough and so much faster... i'd love to see them come up to columbus and play in the fucking snow and see how fast they are when they can't feel their fingers.

great point, but BCS bowl games (and almost all bowl games in general) will ALWAYS be in warm climates and/or domes. Money aside, bowl games are supposed to be a reward for the kids for having a good season. Who wants to be rewarded with playing a game in sub-freezing temps? A trip to Hawaii, Florida or Arizona is much more appealling. Plus, it's way easier to sell tix to warm weather games in December/January.
  • Options
    great point, but BCS bowl games (and almost all bowl games in general) will ALWAYS be in warm climates and/or domes. Money aside, bowl games are supposed to be a reward for the kids for having a good season. Who wants to be rewarded with playing a game in sub-freezing temps? A trip to Hawaii, Florida or Arizona is much more appealling. Plus, it's way easier to sell tix to warm weather games in December/January.

i suppose. but this kinda reinforces my belief that 1) the bcs is all about money and 2) a legit national champion is not what it is concerned with producing.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    dg1979us wrote:
    I'm an SEC fan, but never, ever pull for Auburn or Tennessee or Georgia, even against Big 10 teams. I take some of that back......I have pulled for Tennessee against Notre Dame.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    i suppose. but this kinda reinforces my belief that 1) the bcs is all about money and 2) a legit national champion is not what it is concerned with producing.
    You're really going out on limb with those statements, eh? ;)
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Call me crazy but I think the best game will be LSU vs Oregon. I think LSU would win but Oregon would have no problem scoring a bunch of points.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Call me crazy but I think the best game will be LSU vs Oregon. I think LSU would win but Oregon would have no problem scoring a bunch of points.

This will happen when either Michigan or Illinois beats OSU. I have a feeling it'll be Michigan. They are starting to play with a bit of confidence now.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    This will happen when either Michigan or Illinois beats OSU. I have a feeling it'll be Michigan. They are starting to play with a bit of confidence now.

i don't think ohio state is going to lose. for the same reason nobody thinks ohio state deserves a shot at the title, michigan can't beat ohio state: they've never been tested. the only team michigan has played on ohio state's level was oregon... and look how that one went at home. they've never faced a defense as tough as the buckeyes. and oregon showed that michigan still doesn't know how to defend a spread, which the buckeyes have the talent to exploit.

that said, lsu-oregon does sound like a pretty exciting matchup to me.
  • Options
    i don't think ohio state is going to lose. for the same reason nobody thinks ohio state deserves a shot at the title, michigan can't beat ohio state: they've never been tested. the only team michigan has played on ohio state's level was oregon... and look how that one went at home. they've never faced a defense as tough as the buckeyes. and oregon showed that michigan still doesn't know how to defend a spread, which the buckeyes have the talent to exploit.

that said, lsu-oregon does sound like a pretty exciting matchup to me.

This is what it should be. Semi-Finals Oregon vs. LSU , Kansas vs. OSU

BCS Championship: Oregon vs OSU

Maybe in 5 years this will actually be an option.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    This is what it should be. Semi-Finals Oregon vs. LSU , Kansas vs. OSU

BCS Championship: Oregon vs OSU

Maybe in 5 years this will actually be an option.

qualify kansas with oklahoma based on how the season ends, and i agree 100%.
  • Options
    Ohio State goes down.

who's #1 now? Oregon? LSU? Kansas?

Right now, I think Kansas is the only team that controls its own destiny. If they win out, they're in the title game. The one-loss teams are more at the mercy of the polls and other assorted computer tabulation nonsense.
  • Options
    Ohio State goes down.

who's #1 now? Oregon? LSU? Kansas?

Right now, I think Kansas is the only team that controls its own destiny. If they win out, they're in the title game. The one-loss teams are more at the mercy of the polls and other assorted computer tabulation nonsense.

1. lsu
    2. oregon
    3. kansas

if kansas keeps winning, they move up. if not, i think oregon and lsu are pretty much a lock, assuming they win out.
  • Options
    [size=+5]QUACK[/size][size=+5]QUACK[/size]
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    I'm just hoping Michigan can beat Ohio State that way either Hawaii or Boise State will be guaranteed a BCS bid and take away an at large bid from the power conferences.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    Right now the best championship game looks to be LSU v. Kansas. I do not think Oregon St. would match up very well with LSU.

Of course, Kansas still has some tough games remaining.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    Right now the best championship game looks to be LSU v. Kansas. I do not think Oregon St. would match up very well with LSU.

I don't think Oregon St. stands a chance. The Beavers suck ;)
    NERDS!
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

oregon ;) if kansas wins out, they will go. they're undefeated and the toughest part of their sched is still ahead. oregon, on the other hand, has most of the worst behind it so its chief hope is to hold on, not move up. but i have to say, i don't know if kansas can win out. hell, i'm not sure lsu will win out. im more concerned with who osu will face in the rose bowl... oregon or asu?
  • Options
    oregon ;) if kansas wins out, they will go. they're undefeated and the toughest part of their sched is still ahead. oregon, on the other hand, has most of the worst behind it so its chief hope is to hold on, not move up. but i have to say, i don't know if kansas can win out. hell, i'm not sure lsu will win out. im more concerned with who osu will face in the rose bowl... oregon or asu?

I'd be surprised if LSU doesn't win out at this point. The toughest game - and it's not very tough - would be Arknasas and it's at home.

Of course, there is the SEC championship game ahead of them so they could lose that. I suspect they'll play Georgia in that one.

• Options
    know1 wrote:
    I'd be surprised if LSU doesn't win out at this point. The toughest game - and it's not very tough - would be Arknasas and it's at home.

Of course, there is the SEC championship game ahead of them so they could lose that. I suspect they'll play Georgia in that one.

i was just analyzing the standings to see if there's any way osu can get back into the top 2... it doesn't look promising ;)

i think lsu-oregon would make for one helluva championship. i've not seen kansas play, so i can't speak to them.
  • Options
    i was just analyzing the standings to see if there's any way osu can get back into the top 2... it doesn't look promising ;)

i think lsu-oregon would make for one helluva championship. i've not seen kansas play, so i can't speak to them.

Oregon St. is a very entertaining team to watch, that's for sure.