Options

The BCS will be fun this year

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    know1 wrote:
    Oregon St. is a very entertaining team to watch, that's for sure.

oregon. the oregon ducks are number 2. oregon st. is a diff team ;)

it's ok, i always struggle to keep oklahoma and ok state and kansas and ksu separate too.
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    I'm just hoping Michigan can beat Ohio State that way either Hawaii or Boise State will be guaranteed a BCS bid and take away an at large bid from the power conferences.

why would they be guaranteed a spot in the BCS ??

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0003

wont let the light escape from me
    wont let the darkness swallow me
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    vitodacat wrote:
    Alchemy.....it's all alchemy.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    vitodacat wrote:

Hawaii is 16 in the BCS and Boise State is 18. Obviously one of them will win when they play the day after Thanksgiving.

Michigan is currently at 21 in the BCS.

If Michigan beats Ohio State, it wins the Big Ten. It would probably jump ahead of both Hawaii and Boise in the BCS standings.

But then they are done for the year. The week after is Boise State at Hawaii and the winner of that game would then jump Michigan in the BCS standings.

The automatic bid rule for non BCS is conferences is to finish number at 12 or higher, but there is also a clause that states if you are in the top 16 and finish ahead in the BCS rankings of a BCS conference champ - in this case Michigan, you also get an automatic bid.

So therefore, if Michigan beats Ohio State, it is almost certain that either Hawaii or Boise State (whoever wins the WAC) will make the BCS top 16 and get a bid into the BCS.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    Hawaii is 16 in the BCS and Boise State is 18. Obviously one of them will win when they play the day after Thanksgiving.

Michigan is currently at 21 in the BCS.

If Michigan beats Ohio State, it wins the Big Ten. It would probably jump ahead of both Hawaii and Boise in the BCS standings.

But then they are done for the year. The week after is Boise State at Hawaii and the winner of that game would then jump Michigan in the BCS standings.

The automatic bid rule for non BCS is conferences is to finish number at 12 or higher, but there is also a clause that states if you are in the top 16 and finish ahead in the BCS rankings of a BCS conference champ - in this case Michigan, you also get an automatic bid.

So therefore, if Michigan beats Ohio State, it is almost certain that either Hawaii or Boise State (whoever wins the WAC) will make the BCS top 16 and get a bid into the BCS.

got ya....good explanation, didn't know of that clause. I guess they should also be rooting for Cincinnati to beat West Virginia as well then.

Member # 0003

• Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    vitodacat wrote:
    got ya....good explanation, didn't know of that clause. I guess they should also be rooting for Cincinnati to beat West Virginia as well then.

True, Cincy or UConn winning the Big East could also throw a monkey wrench into things.

I would love to see one of the little guys from the small conferences represented in the BCS again this year.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    True, Cincy or UConn winning the Big East could also throw a monkey wrench into things.

I would love to see one of the little guys from the small conferences represented in the BCS again this year.

After what Boise did last year, the nation should want that as well.

Member # 0003

• Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    College Football is now Dead to Me.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    2nd quarter 5:20 remaining.....Arizona 31 Oregon 11. Dennis Dixon is OUT with a knee injury!

Another week, another top team going by the wayside. I know its early, but DAMN!!
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    2nd quarter 5:20 remaining.....Arizona 31 Oregon 11. Dennis Dixon is OUT with a knee injury!

Another week, another top team going by the wayside. I know its early, but DAMN!!

you gotta be fucking kidding me... they were the only one loss team i felt was pretty damn safe.
  • Options
    Brady Leaf is Disgusting!
    NERDS!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Brady Leaf is Disgusting!

i missed it....why did dixon go down?
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    i missed it....why did dixon go down?
    From what I heard, his knee buckled making a cut. Potentially done for the season :(
    NERDS!
  • Options
    From what I heard, his knee buckled making a cut. Potentially done for the season :(

that really sucks....he's a good player and a guy kid.....:(

edit: just saw the replay...:eek:.....i hope it looks worse than it is

and now stewart goes out!
  • Options
    and the ducks go down. this is fucking nuts. if cincy can pull off a huge upset, the buckeyes might get back in this mix yet!
  • Options
    College Football is now Dead to Me.
    exactly.....

the ducks went down....

and i wont watch another game this year.......

FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Setting up to be an LSU vs Kansas Championship.

I know this can change in the next couple of weeks, but assuming it stays this way, do you think the Network Execs are contemplating suicide yet?

Everything I have read says that if Kansas wins out, they are IN. That said, I dont see LSU dropping if they do the same. YIKES for the BCS!! How do you spell playoff again??? :)

* Also AMAZING to me how VERY AVERAGE Oregon looked without Dixon..*

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Solat13 wrote:

We have Syracuse tomorrow at home (should win) and then WVU on the road (probably lose), leaving a tough Cincy team to play WVU in Ohio. Should be interesting, because if CIncy wins, then I see them going to the BCS over WVU. Never knew Cincy was that good until they smoked us last weekend. They could be a sleeper.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    i have been doubting ku's football team for the past several weeks and then i finally watched them. they are a good balanced team.

in all honesty though, i think ou will represent the big12 in the bcs championship vs. lsu.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    * Also AMAZING to me how VERY AVERAGE Oregon looked without Dixon..*

That isn't exactly fair. Yes, they did play average ball after the injury, but I think you can't discount how that kind of injury can affect a team. I still think Oregon is a good team. It's just obvious that Dixon's injury really affected the team's play. Injuries wreak havoc in a game plan and in game momentum. If a team has a solid player, you revolve your game plan around that player. Yes, you have to be able to adjust, but when it's been a player like Dixon, it's difficult to do so. I felt bad for Dixon.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Options
    That isn't exactly fair. Yes, they did play average ball after the injury, but I think you can't discount how that kind of injury can affect a team. I still think Oregon is a good team. It's just obvious that Dixon's injury really affected the team's play. Injuries wreak havoc in a game plan and in game momentum. If a team has a solid player, you revolve your game plan around that player. Yes, you have to be able to adjust, but when it's been a player like Dixon, it's difficult to do so. I felt bad for Dixon.

look what happened to ohio state last season when they lost teddy ginn on the first play of the game. the offense looked pathetic the entire rest of the game. an injury like that can really rattle your team.
  • Options
    Doesn't Kansas still have to play Missouri? I still just can't see them in the championship game.
  • Options
    Doesn't Kansas still have to play Missouri? I still just can't see them in the championship game.

kansas and missouri do play, and the winner has to play oklahoma in the big 12 championship. two of these teams will get a loss before the end of the season. hell, oklahoma has to play texas tech. lsu is going to have to play tennessee, georgia, or florida in the sec championship. there could easily be more losses in the top 5.
  • Options
    exactly.....

the ducks went down....

and i wont watch another game this year.......

FUCK FUCK FUCK!!!!!!!

[size=+2]QUACK,QUACK,QUACK,QUACK[/size]

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehe
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    What a weird, wacky season this has been. Oregon is the fifth #2 team to go down this season.

Who does #2 work for? Who does #2 work for?

I'm still rooting for Kansas to go through Missouri and Oklahoma. The KU/Mizzou game should be a strong indicator of whether either of these teams can top Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game. Mizzou's only loss was to Oklahoma by ten points in a game where they outgained OU on offense, but lost the turnover battle.
  • Options

Fair or not, it is reality.

Maybe I should have phrased it differently. What I meant to say, is that you take ONE guy out of a lineup, and it can change the game so dramatically. In the college game today, you rely so so much on one or two guys that sometimes it is make or break.

I understand that you gameplan around him ,and that you are demoralized when your captain goes down and all that, it just blows me away that ONE guy can make such a big big difference in a game. Oregon with Dixon are the best team in the country imho and should have beat Arizona 50-0. I feel bad for the guy as well. Something so flukey you know. Just making a cut, and his career COULD be over. I dont know the extent, but it has happened to others. Never the same assuming it is season ending.

Same thing going on @ U of W right now. Even though they arent that good, you take Jake Locker out of that lineup, and they are 0-10 and dont have a prayer. With him, they could beat any team in the country at anytime. Just amazing to me is all, just amazing the impact one freaking guy has.

• Options
    Oregon QB Dixon to have surgery

By ANNE M. PETERSON, AP Sports Writer 31 minutes ago

Dennis Dixon will have surgery on the left knee that buckled early in second-ranked Oregon's upset loss to Arizona, spoiling his chance to win the Heisman Trophy.

The quarterback tore his anterior cruciate ligament during Oregon's Nov. 3 victory over Arizona State, according to coach Mike Bellotti, but he had rested it and felt as if he was ready to play Thursday night against the Wildcats.

Now Dixon will miss the rest of this season.

"He's a little bit despondent, because he obviously wanted to continue to play," Bellotti said.

The versatile Dixon was one of the front-runners for the Heisman after he put the Ducks in line for the national title. Oregon had started the season unranked, and was picked to finish sixth in the Pacific-10 Conference.

Drawing comparisons to Vince Young, Dixon completed 67.7 percent of his passes for 2,136 yards, 20 touchdowns and four interceptions. The senior from San Leandro, Calif., also ran for 583 yards and nine scores.

Thursday night's 34-24 loss to the unranked Wildcats knocked the Ducks (8-2, 5-2) out of the national title picture. Oregon was ranked behind LSU and ahead of Oklahoma and undefeated Kansas.

Dixon's left knee crumbled as he tried to plant on an option carry with about 5 minutes to go in the first quarter against Arizona (5-6, 4-4).

His recovery after surgery will take some six months, said team physician Bob Crist. The date for the surgery wasn't set.

Dixon was not available for comment.

Dixon first injured his knee in Oregon's 35-23 victory at home over Arizona State on Nov. 3. While he knew the extent of the injury, he felt he could still play.

"He asked us on behalf of himself and his family to keep that quiet," Bellotti said in a conference call with reporters Friday afternoon.

It was Dixon's intention to delay the surgery until after the season, the coach said. He continued with the understanding that any further instability in the knee meant he would have to stop playing, the coach said.

"While he certainly had some personal goals at stake, anyone who is familiar with Dennis knows that any decisions he made were purely in the interest of his teammates and not motivated by any personal gains," Bellotti said.

He wore a brace Thursday night and said he had no pain or signs of trouble earlier in the game when he ran 38 yards for a touchdown on the Ducks' first possession.

"It shows you've got to play your heart out, because you never know when you're going to get that last play," Dixon told a group of reporters after the game.

Before he left the game against the Wildcats, Dixon completed five of eight passes for 62 yards.

Senior Brady Leaf, who replaced Dixon, completed 22 of 46 passes for 163 yards and threw two interceptions. Leaf, the brother of Ryan Leaf, was expected to start when the Ducks visit UCLA next weekend.

As for the Heisman, Dixon said after leaving the game Thursday night that he never really played with it in mind.

"I never did. My teammates know that. I'm playing for them and just having fun in the process in my senior season playing college football," he said.

Dixon finishes his college career as the Ducks single-season leader in completion percentage at 67.7, surpassing Kellen Clemens' 64 percent in 2005. He completed 63.9 percent of his passes, also leading the Ducks' career list.

He ranks second on Oregon's list for most yards rushing by a quarterback, trailing Reggie Ogburn, who had 644 yards in 1979.
  • Options
    That was a nice 39 yard TD run with a torn ACL last night. Still don't know if it was the right decision to play with a torn ACL. I think if Leaf would've taken most of the snaps with the 1st team and was named the starter we would've had different results last night.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,107
    and nevada is up by one over unbeaten hawaii with 3:05 remaining and now this is interesting, hawaii's 45-yard field goal was good but nevada managed to call a timeout beforehand and they have to kick again with 15 seconds remaining. this time the kick is right down the middle, 28-26 hawaii.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Fair or not, it is reality.

Maybe I should have phrased it differently. What I meant to say, is that you take ONE guy out of a lineup, and it can change the game so dramatically. In the college game today, you rely so so much on one or two guys that sometimes it is make or break.

I understand that you gameplan around him ,and that you are demoralized when your captain goes down and all that, it just blows me away that ONE guy can make such a big big difference in a game. Oregon with Dixon are the best team in the country imho and should have beat Arizona 50-0. I feel bad for the guy as well. Something so flukey you know. Just making a cut, and his career COULD be over. I dont know the extent, but it has happened to others. Never the same assuming it is season ending.

Same thing going on @ U of W right now. Even though they arent that good, you take Jake Locker out of that lineup, and they are 0-10 and dont have a prayer. With him, they could beat any team in the country at anytime. Just amazing to me is all, just amazing the impact one freaking guy has.

I got ya. I was just making the point that it happens all the time. A guy goes down with an injury and the whole team falls apart. It's just difficult to rally back after the guy who got you where they have been.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks