Options

The BCS will be fun this year

Comments

• Options
    quack??
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    dg1979usdg1979us Posts: 568
    then ohio state better figure out how to get boeckman to pass without throwing an interception. cos the wvu offense is going to give the buckeye defense fits and they are going to need to be able to compete in a shootout better than they did last season.

I agree. I think OSU loses that game to be honest. The big 10 teams all tend to struggle with the spread offenses. And WVUs offense is something else. I do think OSU can score on them though, but I still think WVU would win that game.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    dg1979us wrote:
    I agree. I think OSU loses that game to be honest. The big 10 teams all tend to struggle with the spread offenses. And WVUs offense is something else. I do think OSU can score on them though, but I still think WVU would win that game.

no doubt. look what illinois did to the buckeye defense with juice and a few running backs, none of whom are half the threats pat white and his crew are. wvu would tear them up.
  • Options
    this about sums it up (courtesy of espn.com):

The BCS works as well as Kim Kardashian in the lead role of "The Eleanor Roosevelt Story." It is the Kim Jong Il of college football: dictatorial and isolationist. BCS cheerleaders figure if they ignore the logic of a playoff system long enough, maybe it will all just go away.

Chase Daniel and Missouri are No. 1. But would the Tigers survive a playoff?
    The truth is, the BCS is held together by rolls of duct tape and stubbornness. First the well-intentioned Bowl Coalition, then the Bowl Alliance, and now the Bowl Championship Series. And they still can't get it right.

Just last week BCS administrators had to tweak their "system" for about the billionth time. The latest bandage was applied after it became apparent that the BCS might not have enough eligible at-large teams for its five games. Oops. The BCS works so well that the only undefeated team in the country, Hawaii, could finish the regular season 12-0 and still get squeezed out of a BCS bowl game. Meanwhile, two-loss Georgia, which didn't even win its conference division or qualify for its league championship game, could conceivably play in a national title game. Huh?

And the next person who smugly tells me, "We don't need a playoff system because we already have one: the regular season," is going to get a Mike Gundy-a-gram. Look, if the regular season were really a playoff, Ohio State would have been eliminated Nov. 10, when it lost at home to Illinois. West Virginia would have been history when it lost to a South Florida team that later experienced a three-game free fall. Missouri would have been through when it lost decisively at Oklahoma on Oct. 13. LSU would have been done after an OT loss at Kentucky on the same Saturday. Virginia Tech would have been cooked after a Sept. 8 loss at LSU and most definitely after an Oct. 25 loss at home against Boston College. And USC's hopes would have expired the exact minute it lost at home to a Stanford team that couldn't beat Notre Dame.

Instead, the Buckeyes, Mountaineers, Hokies and both Tigers are somehow still on the short list, while unbeaten Hawaii and its absolutely hellacious offense is placed in BCS quarantine. Explain that. And while you're at it, explain why the Hokies, who have the same 10-2 record as Boston College, are five spots ahead of the Eagles in the latest BCS standings. You can't.

Just think if you could take Ohio State, West Virginia, LSU, Mizzou, Hawaii, BC (sorry, Hokies -- BC won on your field), Oklahoma and USC (sorry, Kansas and Georgia -- you've got to win your conference or at least reach your conference championship game to qualify), and then start an eight-team, seven-game playoff. How's this for a first-round schedule:

Warriors vs. Mountaineers, Tigers vs. Tigers, Buckeyes vs. Sooners, and Trojans vs. Eagles.

But no, we're stuck with the BCS and its weekly standings weirdness. For example, Missouri is your No. 1 team in the country. This is like Homer Simpson picking up Eva Mendes at a Chi Omega party.

Nothing against Mizzou and quarterback Chase Daniel, but the Tigers aren't the No. 1 team in the country. They aren't even favored in Vegas to beat No. 9 Oklahoma in the Big 12 championship (Mizzou is a 3-point dog).

Missouri is ranked first because somebody needs to be there, and because there is no clear-cut No. 1. There are lots of No. 2s and 3s, which is yet another reason a playoff would work, as opposed to this BCS mess.

Just in case anybody needs instructions, contact the NCAA and its Division I-FCS, Division II and III football teams. They've had an actual playoff system for decades.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    "Missouri is your No. 1 team in the country. This is like Homer Simpson picking up Eva Mendes at a Chi Omega party."

hehe....'bout sums it up....:)
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    i like how ohio state loses one national championship game to an incredible florida team and they are suddenly "a fraud." it isn't their fault the hype machine went into overdrive last season. the big ten is weak this season, so what? this was supposed to be ohio state's rebuilding year and they dominated. nobody picked them higher than 3rd in their conference. shit, hawaii couldn't get a major player to take them on. who is going to volunteer to play ohio state? ps... they played texas 2 years in a row and play usc the next few. they're hardly slacking on scheduling. this is just an off year. and their one loss came to a team that almost beat the vaunted mizzou in the first game of the season. but i suppose it's hard to remember such trivialities... we know how you southerners aren't fond of thinking.
    I'm remembering the one that they stole from Miami.....pass interference, my ass.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    I'm remembering the one that they stole from Miami.....pass interference, my ass.

im remembering 1st and goal on the 1-yard line in overtime and miami's invincible offense couldn't cross the goal line in 4 tries. pretty weak when your powerhouse offense is still bitching about a pass interference call as their only excuse for why they didnt win that game when it was 4 consecutive 0 yard plays that ended the game, not a pass interference call. and last i checked, referees call the penalties, not the buckeyes.
  • Options
    no doubt. look what illinois did to the buckeye defense with juice and a few running backs, none of whom are half the threats pat white and his crew are. wvu would tear them up.

Sorry Soul...I know you have some respect here, and I know you are a fellow Buckeye...but this comment is just plain fucking dumb. OSU has faced Juice...they have faced good running backs...Tressel will have the boys prepared (unlike last year). When we meet WVU in the national championship we will be ready...ready for the QB run, ready for the RB run, and ready for WVU's poor pass offense. OSU has THE strongest defense in the nation. They've seen the best of the running QB offense, and White will not be it.
    I'm trying to drink away the part of the day I cannot sleep away...
  • Options
    Sorry Soul...I know you have some respect here, and I know you are a fellow Buckeye...but this comment is just plain fucking dumb. OSU has faced Juice...they have faced good running backs...Tressel will have the boys prepared (unlike last year). When we meet WVU in the national championship we will be ready...ready for the QB run, ready for the RB run, and ready for WVU's poor pass offense. OSU has THE strongest defense in the nation. They've seen the best of the running QB offense, and White will not be it.

i hope you're right. but i've got to say, pat white looks like a helluva lot more of a threat than juice. the big ten teams always struggle with running quarterbacks and white is the best of the best. he was unstoppable against connecticut. now, osu does have a dynamite defense and ive no doubt they'd are better than conn, but i still think wvu would have no trouble putting points on the board against the buckeyes. however, wvu is prone to making mistakes and osu would make them pay for those dearly. wvu's defense is also good, but i think wells would run al over them. if boeckman could play without tossing interceptions, they'd probably win. but i still think white and co. would move the ball pretty consistently.
  • Options
    Mizzou and OU tied at the half.

Pitt leading WV 10-7 in the 3rd qtr, but should be up 17-7 after a BS holding call negated an awesome Pitt TD run. White's out with a dislocated thumb, and WV looks like a completely different team, just like what happened to Oregon.

Meanwhile, Ohio State is probably liking their chances of sneaking in the back door to the national championship.
  • Options
    Mizzou and OU tied at the half.

Pitt leading WV 10-7 in the 3rd qtr, but should be up 17-7 after a BS holding call negated an awesome Pitt TD run. White's out with a dislocated thumb, and WV looks like a completely different team, just like what happened to Oregon.

that was a fucking ridiculous call.

i they both dropped, who's in? ohio state and... georgia? vt? usc?
  • Options
    i was actually kinda hoping for a wvu-mizzou national championship game, but pitt better win this game. they've gotten screwed a couple of times by the refs here. this is ridiculous.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Wow! Nothing surprises me anymore. #1 and #2 potentially going down again.

Looks like you got your Buckeyes in the BCS game, hopefully they do better against this years SEC team.

And today, the final nail in the Ducks coffin. At least the 5th string QB kept them in the game.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    'eers go down.

Mizzou still has the 4th quarter to go...

SoS: What happened to Lou and Metsy? I mean, it's obvious they're not around here lately. How did it happen is the better question, I suppose.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Wow! Nothing surprises me anymore. #1 and #2 potentially going down again.

Looks like you got your Buckeyes in the BCS game, hopefully they do better against this years SEC team.

And today, the final nail in the Ducks coffin. At least the 5th string QB kept them in the game.

but will it be an sec team? and if so, which one? georgia or lsu? georgia is ranked higher, but lsu won the sec and georgia didnt even make the championship. oklahoma? virginia tech? usc?

i feel so bad for oregon and the way their season ended.
  • Options
    but will it be an sec team? and if so, which one? georgia or lsu? georgia is ranked higher, but lsu won the sec and georgia didnt even make the championship. oklahoma? virginia tech? usc?
    My gut says Georgia. They've been playing the best lately IMO.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    My gut says Georgia. They've been playing the best lately IMO.

id definitely agree they look the strongest of that field. but that only confirms the insanity of the bcs. how does a team that didnt even make their conference championship make it to the national championship?
  • Options
    id definitely agree they look the strongest of that field. but that only confirms the insanity of the bcs. how does a team that didnt even make their conference championship make it to the national championship?

I hear you. The worst thing about the whole BCS fiasco is the fact that they tinker with the damn thing every year. Now I'm hearing they're looking into doing a +1 game next year. :confused:

Either fucking do a playoff or get rid of the BCS altogether and let it just go back to the Dual poll system. Even if that system sucked, it was at least consistent.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,131
    where does hawaii fit into this if they win and are still unbeaten?
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    I hear you. The worst thing about the whole BCS fiasco is the fact that they tinker with the damn thing every year. Now I'm hearing they're looking into doing a +1 game next year. :confused:

Either fucking do a playoff or get rid of the BCS altogether and let it just go back to the Dual poll system. Even if that system sucked, it was at least consistent.

what's a +1 game?

espn just said their number cruncher thinks lsu will end up number 2.
  • Options
    where does hawaii fit into this if they win and are still unbeaten?

fucked. cos the bcs hates the wac. that sucks for them.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,131
    fucked. cos the bcs hates the wac. that sucks for them.

that's terrible. it's not their fault no major team wants to go out there.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    that's terrible. it's not their fault no major team wants to go out there.

from what i hear, hawaii has offered to come TO the big teams, and they still won't take them up on it.
  • Options
    WV goes down, despite the refs efforts to help them win the game. Two total phantom holding calls against Pitt, resulting in a TD and big first down called back respectively. And then a non-call on a defensive holding in WV's favor that would have also given Pitt a huge first down late in the 4th. I'm glad Pitt overcame that crap officiating.

Mizzou looks to be done as well, down 35-17 in the 4th.

Ohio State is a definite no-brainer to be in the title game now. I firmly believe the second team should be a conference champion - LSU (SEC), Oklahoma (Big 12), Virginia Tech (ACC) and USC (Pac-10) all have two losses. Hawaii (WAC), providing they win tonight vs. Washington, will be an undefeated conference champ.

In any case, I don't believe Georgia or Kansas deserves to move up to #2 since neither could even win their own division, nevermind their respective conferences.

Since the BCS has gone to hell this year, I would love to see undefeated Hawaii (providing they win tonight) make it into the title game, but that would NEVER happen. My second options would be LSU or Oklahoma.
  • Options
    WV goes down, despite the refs efforts to help them win the game. Two total phantom holding calls against Pitt, resulting in a TD and big first down called back respectively. And then a non-call on a defensive holding in WV's favor that would have also given Pitt a huge first down late in the 4th. I'm glad Pitt overcame that crap officiating.

Mizzou looks to be done as well, down 35-17 in the 4th.

Ohio State is a definite no-brainer to be in the title game now. I firmly believe the second team should be a conference champion - LSU (SEC), Oklahoma (Big 12), Virginia Tech (ACC) and USC (Pac-10) all have two losses. Hawaii (WAC), providing they win tonight vs. Washington, will be an undefeated conference champ.

In any case, I don't believe Georgia or Kansas deserves to move up to #2 since neither could even win their own division, nevermind their respective conferences.

Since the BCS has gone to hell this year, I would love to see undefeated Hawaii (providing they win tonight) make it into the title game, but that would NEVER happen. My second options would be LSU or Oklahoma.

as much as id like to give hawaii a shot, i do not want them in the championship. people hate osu enough as it is. if they played hawaii i'd never hear the end of people pissing and moaning about them cake-walking to national championships. i want them to have a chance to prove themselves against an opponent with credibility. im guessing oklahoma or lsu goes. they have the biggest wins today and are most likely to be able to jump georgia. im guessing it will be lsu.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    unbelievable......it's been quite a season....i was hoping to see ohio st out here for the rose bowl but i think georgia can be an interesting game......osu-lsu should be a good championship game....and yes, once again the wac gets screwed.....
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    unbelievable......it's been quite a season....i was hoping to see ohio st out here for the rose bowl but i think georgia can be an interesting game......osu-lsu should be a good championship game....and yes, once again the wac gets screwed.....

honestly, i was pretty excited about usc-osu in the rose bowl too. i figured that would be a pretty fun game between two legendary programs, with a nice national championship featuring two newcomers slugging it out. i have no clue what will happen now.
  • Options
    what's a +1 game?

espn just said their number cruncher thinks lsu will end up number 2.

A plus-one game would add a national title game after the bowls. It probably would have 1-vs.-4 and 2-vs.-3 semifinals in existing bowls, with the seeds based on the BCS formula. The winners would advance to the title game. Except, choosing the four teams to participate would probably be no easier, or less controversial, than agreeing on the top two the way it is now.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    A plus-one game would add a national title game after the bowls. It probably would have 1-vs.-4 and 2-vs.-3 semifinals in existing bowls, with the seeds based on the BCS formula. The winners would advance to the title game. Except, choosing the four teams to participate would probably be no easier, or less controversial, than agreeing on the top two the way it is now.

probably true, but at least it would give the impression of teams controlling their own destiny as far as getting into and winning a national championship. more so than what goes on now. im a buckeye fan, but i admit it is weird how they have gone from 7 to national championship team by sitting around 2 weeks and watching everyone else lose.

i just hope lsu jumps osu in the rankings, cos they have a tendency to get beat when they're ranked number 1 ;)
  • Options
    PorchsitterPorchsitter Loganville, GA Posts: 1,069
    Well, I must say as a Georgia fan (and a graduate in 2 weeks) that while it would be nice, I just don't think it would be right. UGA had their chance and blew it against South Carolina and Tennessee and had to rely on other teams to allow Georgia to go to the SEC Championship. Since that didn't happen, Georgia should be out.

NOW.....should the impossible happen, the only way Georgia could make it up is by winning and winning big. Even then, it would still be largely contested. Really, my current problem with the system is that Georgia has been projected all week to play Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl, and while I'm happy that they are being considered for a BCS bowl, I would rather not have a rematch from last year. They played that game last year, and to be honest, I would rather see them play a different team......perhaps in a certain California city. ;)
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks