Options

Any wrestling fans?

Comments

• Options
    Cree NationsCree Nations Posts: 2,247
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh shaweet Jimmy. He really could fly.
    >>>>
    >
    ...a lover and a fighter.
    "I'm at least half a bum" Rocky Balboa

http://www.videosift.com/video/Obamas-Message-To-American-Indians

Edmonton, AB. September 5th, 2005
    Vancouver, BC. April 3rd, 2008
    Calgary,AB. August 8th, 2009
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    ya know for the first show of the new ECW it wasnt that bad. the only problem i have was when taz and joey e styles kept saying "this is the new ECW". its like ok we got it sunday night. just call the fucking match.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    ya know for the first show of the new ECW it wasnt that bad.

For the first show of the "new ECW" this was VERY fucking horrible. It sucked being in that arena. Having the Heat announcer sucked. Justin Credible, former ECW World champion getting squashed by not ever in ECW Kurt Angle sucked. The "hardcore" battle royal sucked. The crowd sucked. Trinity's outfit was awesome. Cena being there sucked. Sandman's music sucked. The Zombie coming out and getting destroyed didn't bother me because it reminded me of some goofy stuff from the real ECW. If the Zombie shows up ever again it will suck, though. Taz and Joey Styles Pimping how great the show and new ECW was sucked. The show was full of sucktitude. It won't feel like an ECW TV show until they tape it from the ECW Arena on 7/4.
  • Options
    xkevvx wrote:
    For the first show of the "new ECW" this was VERY fucking horrible. It sucked being in that arena. Having the Heat announcer sucked. Justin Credible, former ECW World champion getting squashed by not ever in ECW Kurt Angle sucked. The "hardcore" battle royal sucked. The crowd sucked. Trinity's outfit was awesome. Cena being there sucked. Sandman's music sucked. The Zombie coming out and getting destroyed didn't bother me because it reminded me of some goofy stuff from the real ECW. If the Zombie shows up ever again it will suck, though. Taz and Joey Styles Pimping how great the show and new ECW was sucked. The show was full of sucktitude. It won't feel like an ECW TV show until they tape it from the ECW Arena on 7/4.
    let me guess you have gone to over 100 ECW shows at the ECW Arena. this post is not meant to be cocky or an asshole post. i just want to know thats all

• Options
    let me guess you have gone to over 100 ECW shows at the ECW Arena. this post is not meant to be cocky or an asshole post. i just want to know thats all

No. I went to my first ECW show in Hamburg, PA in 1994 and my last was the final ECW Arena show in Dec. 2000, with shows all over eastern PA in between. I'm not trying to have some sort of "elitist OG ECW fan" attitude, but most people who watched ECW even in the slightest, and doesn't just know ECW the way WWE has always presented it, could see that this wasn't ECW. I understand that they're still in "WWE vs. ECW" mode, but there wasn't really much that made me think I was watching ECW. Too much emphasis on Cena, Edge, Angle and Big Show. Sure, Show and Angle are now in "ECW", but they're not really doing anything to put over non WWE guys, except Sabu. The venue and crowd really killed things. I had high expectations for this show, but I realize this was only the FIRST show. That being said, I wish more was done to make this seem like ECW since it was the first show. It was a VERY disappointing show. Like a bad Raw.
  • Options
    xkevvx wrote:
    No. I went to my first ECW show in Hamburg, PA in 1994 and my last was the final ECW Arena show in Dec. 2000, with shows all over eastern PA in between. I'm not trying to have some sort of "elitist OG ECW fan" attitude, but most people who watched ECW even in the slightest, and doesn't just know ECW the way WWE has always presented it, could see that this wasn't ECW. I understand that they're still in "WWE vs. ECW" mode, but there wasn't really much that made me think I was watching ECW. Too much emphasis on Cena, Edge, Angle and Big Show. Sure, Show and Angle are now in "ECW", but they're not really doing anything to put over non WWE guys, except Sabu. The venue and crowd really killed things. I had high expectations for this show, but I realize this was only the FIRST show. That being said, I wish more was done to make this seem like ECW since it was the first show. It was a VERY disappointing show. Like a bad Raw.
    i never thought for one minute you were an elitiest OG ECW fan. i think its cool that you got to see ECW back in the early 90's and up until 00. i watched ECW at the end when it was going down. i have tapes of the ppv's from my cousin and some i recorded myself. yes i know its wwe way of ECW, who knows maybe it will get better. Raw is bad every week

• Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    I used to watch but havent in ages.

I miss Mankind.
    He was my favorite.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    genevieve wrote:
    I used to watch but havent in ages.

I miss Mankind.
    He was my favorite.
    Mick's still around though..will be meeting Ric Flair at the next PPV ;)
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    who knows maybe it will get better.

Yeah, I'm still very hopeful. I'm going to give it AT LEAST a month before I dismiss this as a failure. Hopefully after Vengeance the WWE/ECW title situation gets straightened out and we see something resembling ECW on Tuesday night. Still, very disappointed tonight.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I have to agree with xkevvx. The show was weak. It reminded me of the invaison angle a little bit.

1. They need to have small crowds...this big WWE production takes something away from the whole idea.

2. Separate ECW from all other brands! ECW needs to have it's own identity.

Kurt Angle squashing Justin was a disgrace.

I hope it gets better because last night left a lot to be disired.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I have a teaching gig on Tuesday night, so I missed the majority of the show. The part I saw, the battle royal, was weak. It was a WWE battle royal, not an ECW battle royal. Can they use something besides those paper-thin garbage cans that get dented by the wind????? Where are the street signs?? Where are the staple guns??? The bamboo sticks???

The Big Slow????? That's what really made my heart sink...........the Big Slow???? I think that even Paul Heyman would have a hard time writing something interesting for him. Send him back to the WWE.

Quit making Tommy Dreamer look like a stooge. Don't put the WWE guys over.....there's probably a reason we did not like them in the WWE.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    no surprises here..
    Source: PWInsider.com

The reason that Tazz and The King’s match at ECW One Night Stand was shown last night was because the show actually ran short and they had to fill time. Cues in the battle royal were also missed, which caused the production team to fix the mistakes in the 90 minute window that they had after the taping ended to before it aired on TV.

The debut ECW return show was written by Paul Heyman and then put through the WWE creative team who then edited it to how they think it should go. Paul Heyman does not have the entire control of the ECW brand as you saw last night. Vince McMahon wants the product how he sees it. Paul Heyman wrote last night’s show in order to to meet McMahon's expectations and visions of ECW.

People who saw Paul Heyman backstage at the ECW show said that it was pretty clear that he thought the show was a train wreck. Everyone in the company also felt the same way. Everyone knew that the show wasn’t how they wanted it to succeed and failed.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • Options
    The debut of the "new" ECW was mega-weak... I felt embarrassed just watching it (well, at least more embarrassed than I normally feel watching the typical WWE product). I hated absolutely everything they threw on the show. And as much as I love Kurt Angle and his new attitude/pseudo-MMA style, it just wasn't right to squash Justin Credible in less than two minutes.

Bad, bad, bad, bad show. You could definitely tell it was a McMahon product.

At least I had it on TiVO, so I was able to fast-forward a helluva lot.
  • Options
    At least I had it on TiVO, so I was able to fast-forward a helluva lot.

I really don't want to do that with this new show...but sadly, unless they fix it, I will do just that.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    Two great reads from PWI regarding the ECW debacle...
    ECW ON SCIFI: LOOKING AT THE WORST HOUR OF WRESTLING TV IN YEARS
    by Mike Johnson @ 11:00:00 AM on 6/14/2006

What can one say about the travesty that was the first edition of ECW on Sci Fi? It's unfair to even compare this new version of ECW to the original company, so I will refrain from doing that. That said, after the last two years of ECW One Night Stand PPVs, everyone who tuned in last night was hoping for a Led Zeppelin reunion and instead found William Hung on stage. Instead of Eminem, Vanilla Ice was standing there, smiling on stage, doing his Ninja Turtles rap.

Although in hindsight, it was probably impossible to expect anything but what fans received, WWE is absolutely lunatic in forgetting that the entire idea of an alternative brand is to have it be something alternative to Raw and Smackdown. With the exception of some cheesy characters that served to do nothing but make Science Fiction and wrestling fans both roll their eyes, there was nothing alternative about this new ECW.

In WWE's eyes, Extreme Championship Wrestling is a brand that failed miserably, therefore the only way it's going to work is to have the WWE spin on it, from a marketing, creative, and production standpoint. Last night only served to prove that this new ECW will be exactly what the original company rebelled against.

From a production standpoint, it was a third hour of Monday Night Raw. We had all the elements: outside cutaways of the Arena, DX reunion promos, an in-ring talking segment opening the show, backstage vignettes, a replay of what happened 30 minutes ago, a pointless Diva segment, and (since this was "Extreme"), a bunch of guys hitting each other in the head for a hardcore match. It would have been compelling television, if ECW fans hadn't already seen it in 1995 and WWE fans hadn't already seen it during the Attitude era. WWE had the chance to do something outside the box, but beyond having wrestlers walk through the crowd and setting up another pair of hard cameras in the Arena, they failed to do anything unique.

From a storyline standpoint, we had the same plot holes and backwards logic that we usually get on Raw and Smackdown. Why would a bunch of wrestlers on the same "team" want to beat the piss out of each other in a Battle Royal? How in the world does Paul Heyman have the power to book John Cena's match on a WWE PPV? How in the world does John Cena lay out three ECW stars, tell the world he's coming to ECW, and then proceeds to get away with whatever he wants? Edge comes to ECW after talking tons of crap about it and trying, for two years in a row, to stand against it, then "tricks" Van Dam by spearing him?

From a storyline standpoint, ECW looked like the old WWF Job Squad. Three of their stars got their asses handed to them on Raw and they knew John Cena and Edge were both coming. Throwing some campy characters into a Raw-esque show does not make ECW a unique brand. Throwing 11 names into a Battle Royal does nothing to get over any of the talents, none of whom should be blamed for that hour of TV.

All this episode of ECW did was serve to anger fans who paid money to see what they want - a wrestling show featuring the old ECW work ethic with some old and new faces. Instead, they got Raw mixed with Mystery Science Theatre 3000 material.

This is the new breed unleashed? This is launching a brand? It looked to me like the only things that were promoted were John Cena, Edge, Raw, and Vengeance. ECW fans who had their hopes up deserved better then a one hour episode of WCW Thunder with Zombies.

Several weeks ago, I wrote, "The problem is that, much like every other brand WWE will be running, ECW will be held under the scrutiny of Vince McMahon and his creative team and this will be his vision of what he thinks ECW should be. It will have the same haphazard builds and illogical plotline holes that Raw and Smackdown do, because it’s all coming from the same source. ECW is going to be everything that the original ECW revolted against, unless things change now. It’s not too late for WWE to realize they’re going about this the wrong way. All it will take is one person, Vince McMahon, to admit that just because his way has made him a ton of money, doesn’t mean another way can’t make him that money as well. It's going to fall on McMahon as to whether he lets the golden goose lay him the eggs, or whether he has it rubbed out, gangland execution style. He's already going down the path to the latter."

It looks like McMahon has not only positioned the goose in front of the firing squad, but he's jumping up and down, stomping on the bloody, beaten body to ensure it goes into oblivion in the most painful way possible for those who choose to witness the murder. I wrote last week that the new vision of ECW was going to be "Raw with Vampires." I have never been more disgusted in my life to have been correct. Congratulations WWE, on the worst hour of professional wrestling produced since the end of WCW.
    ECW'S DEBUT ON SCI FI A TRAIN WRECK THAT CAN BE FIXED BUT PROBABLY WON'T BE
    by Dave Scherer @ 11:23:00 AM on 6/14/2006

Folks, I am here to tell you that I am a sucker. A big sucker. An all day, big fat lollipop sucker. Why, you ask, am I admitting to you all today that I am a rube? Well, I went into last night's ECW debut on Sci Fi show actually believing Vince McMahon when he said that he understood that this show had to be different from other WWE programming to succeed and he would make sure that it was. Yep, I am a sucker. I should have known better.

Now, I want to make very clear at the outset that I don't expect the new version of ECW to be like its predecessor. I think comparisons between then and now are just not fair, for a number of reasons. I don't expect this product to be like the ECW of the mid nineties. It's just not a realistic expectation. This company is owned by McMahon. It's his money and he has control of the product. I appreciate and respect that, believe me, I do. I want to be clear in saying that I am not yearning for the old days here, I am just a long-time wrestling fan looking for an alternative product that is written for a more mature fan and not so obvious in all of its storylines, like Raw and Smackdown are. Again, I just want an alternative. By definition, that would be a product that is different from the other brands that WWE currently offers. Last night's debut was anything but that. Basically, it was a really, really bad episode of Raw.

There was no edginess. About the only thing they could point to as being "hardcore" was Kelly's striptease and while she is ridiculously hot, is it any different than anything we see on the "big two"? Nope, except for the fact that the other divas actually know how to unhook a bra.

There was no intelligent booking either. It's a good thing there were a lot of little kids at the show because it was written for them.

As you can tell, I hated the show, hated it with a passion. I hated it so much that I didn't even want to write about it today. I didn't hate it because "it defamed ECW". I hated it because no matter what measure you judge it on, it was a wretched hour of wrestling. What made it worse was that I was hoping for a fun alternative to Raw and it was anything but that.

But, I will try to be constructive here and point out some of the problems I saw last night:

*The presentation. The show looked exactly like Raw and Smackdown in the way it was shot, presented, formatted and announced. There was no "grainier" production. It was a very obviously a WWE show and that hurt it because when it looks like WWE, it will be compared to WWE and will finish a distant third behind their other programs.

*No character development whatsoever. The only guys that got a push on the show were established WWE wrestlers. Sabu? He lucked into the win in the battle royal. Edge and John Cena got pushed harder than anyone on the ECW roster. Of the guys in ECW that did get a push, the two that did were WWE talents. Now don't get me wrong. I realize that they don't have a lot to work with on the ECW roster since many of the guys were jobbers on WWE shows, but the point of creating a new brand it to build guys up. That sure didn't happen last night.

*Raw was clearly more important than anything else. I understand that this is a fledgling brand and that WWE wants to cross-promote Raw with ECW to get it an audience. But last night, the focus was so strong on what was going on with Vengeance and Monday's show that last night, when it wasn't mind numbingly bad, just came across as secondary filler from a bunch of wannabes. They are going to invade Raw? RVD and Paul Heyman were left for dead by the Raw guys. Big Show, a recent Raw start, threw out everyone in the Battle Royal, including Sabu who luckily didn't hit the floor. Kurt Angle destroyed another former ECW champion. Yeah, that makes the rest of the roster look real tough to me (and believe me, I understand that many of the guys on the roster have jobber written all over them which is why it's important NOT to portray them as such). I am sure the Raw roster is shaking in their boots. Hell, even Sabu's win meant that he wrestles John Cena, on a Raw PPV. Wouldn't Sabu rather get a shot at the ECW Title? I mean really?

*It was taped in the wrong buildings. They can't keep taping in Smackdown buildings. It makes for an apathetic crowd, one that isn't there to see ECW. The crowd was always a huge part of why ECW worked. Without it, the brand loses a lot of what makes it special.

*Most importantly, it just wasn't "extreme". It's obvious to me that Vince McMahon and Kevin Dunn have no idea what an alternative product is. I understand that because they have their way of booking and presenting wrestling, and that's what we get four hours of every week on USA and UPN. The only way I can see this project even having a chance to succeed as alternative is if they step away from it and oversee it from afar. Put control in the hands of the people who understand the concept and give them a chance, with whatever restrictions they need to have placed on them, to run the product. If not, we will have more nights like last night. Vince's vision of ECW is what we saw last night. It's the same as his vision of Raw and Smackdown. If they want to provide a truly different product, they need to step away from it (which for the record I don't see happening). We don't need another Raw Vince. We need something different (and I mean different in a good way).

That, in a nutshell, encapsulates the embarrassment that was ECW on Sci Fi last night. I would love to sit here and tell you that I think WWE will take these very legitimate concerns and criticisms to heart and implement change to fix the mess that was that show last night but I won't. Why? Because they made me a sucker once. They ain't gonna do it again.
  • Options
    xkevvx wrote:
    Yeah, I'm still very hopeful. I'm going to give it AT LEAST a month before I dismiss this as a failure. Hopefully after Vengeance the WWE/ECW title situation gets straightened out and we see something resembling ECW on Tuesday night. Still, very disappointed tonight.
    yeah im thinking about giving it a month too. then after that, if its still bad i wont watch it

• Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    I don't think wrestling needs ECW.With TNA,ROH,CZW and numerous others as good as they are now I think ECW pales in comparison.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    Two great reads from PWI regarding the ECW debacle...
    Thanks for the post...........good reads
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Carlos D wrote:
    I don't think wrestling needs ECW.With TNA,ROH,CZW and numerous others as good as they are now I think ECW pales in comparison.

It needs something. TNA is good, but like I've said before...the wrestling is good, but the storylines are out of the early 90's.

ROH and CZW...good for hardcore fans that go to house shows, but bad for fans that aren't able to see the product live or on Tv.

Yes, the wrestling world needs ECW...not the debacle that was on tv last night, but the attitude of ECW of the mid-late 90's.

A product for "smart" fans...something that isn't dumbed down.

This new ECW brand is a way for Vince to make right what he screwed up 5 years ago.

I can honestly say my interest in wrestling has declined over the past 5 years.

Why is it that a show like Lost can keep me on the edge of my seat and have me anticipate each episode, yet WWE can't. They used to do this. I hated when the show ended each week...now I TiVo it and fast forward through the whole thing.

Sadly...we need something...I can only hope that Vince can make the right decisions and turn this thing around.

PBM

• Options
    That show last night was terrible but that Zombie im still rolling on the floor.
  • Options
    Kelly aka Barbie Blank's striptease thing was the only thing that interested me...that sorta crap with the divas stripping should just stay in WWE though...

YNWA
  • Options
    It needs something. TNA is good, but like I've said before...the wrestling is good, but the storylines are out of the early 90's.

ROH and CZW...good for hardcore fans that go to house shows, but bad for fans that aren't able to see the product live or on Tv.

Yes, the wrestling world needs ECW...not the debacle that was on tv last night, but the attitude of ECW of the mid-late 90's.

A product for "smart" fans...something that isn't dumbed down.

This new ECW brand is a way for Vince to make right what he screwed up 5 years ago.

I can honestly say my interest in wrestling has declined over the past 5 years.

Why is it that a show like Lost can keep me on the edge of my seat and have me anticipate each episode, yet WWE can't. They used to do this. I hated when the show ended each week...now I TiVo it and fast forward through the whole thing.

Sadly...we need something...I can only hope that Vince can make the right decisions and turn this thing around.

PBM

ECW is dead,they're old attitude can't possibly exist because they are now a wwe owned company.Ever watch the wrestling channel?There's more great wrestling on that than ECW or WWE can provide.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    Kelly aka Barbie Blank's striptease thing was the only thing that interested me...that sorta crap with the divas stripping should just stay in WWE though...
    Didn't the ECW have that "sorta crap" before the WWE and WCW did?????
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Didn't the ECW have that "sorta crap" before the WWE and WCW did?????
    yeh..wasnt it Kimona or something with her striptease crap?
    I wished this ECW just focused on the wrestling..the crappy stuff can stay in WWE.

YNWA
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:
    yeh..wasnt it Kimona or something with her striptease crap?
    I wished this ECW just focused on the wrestling..the crappy stuff can stay in WWE.
    I have never seen the Kimona footage.....but I heard of its glory, but I do believe that you remembered the name that I could not remember.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    I have never seen the Kimona footage.....but I heard of its glory, but I do believe that you remembered the name that I could not remember.
    I think you should be able to find a clip on youtube..they seem to have anything haha..

YNWA
  • Options
    Carlos D wrote:
    ECW is dead,they're old attitude can't possibly exist because they are now a wwe owned company.

Yes the old ECW is dead.

However, I remember watching WWE back in '97-'99 and they put together some really good television that had an edge to it.

They have the brand name, they have Paul Heyman, they have a lot of big names...surely they can do something better than what's being offered now.

PBM

• Options
    That show last night was terrible but that Zombie im still rolling on the floor.

I read that they were originally going to bring out an "alien" to get caned by Sandman... but the SciFi Channel actual vetoed that plan, apparently not wanting to upset their core audience or something... thus The Zombie.

Zombie was pure gold on the mic.
  • Options
    Oh it's ON!!!Jeff Jarrett sticks it to ECW and WWE.

From Wrestlingnewsworld.com
    Between The Ropes Radio in Florida had Jeff Jarrett on the show yesterday, and as expected, Paul Heyman’s comments about TNA in the Miami Herald came up in the conversation. Heyman had said TNA was not even a consideration to anyone in the wrestling industry and the company has failed to brand itself as anything but scorned WWE castoffs. Jarrett shot back with:

"Paul's being Paul. I knew Paul when he first came to Tennessee years and years ago. He literally idolized Eddie Gilbert, Tommy Rich, Austin Idol, Jerry Lawler and he's carried that with him since the day he left Tennessee. Paul is a guy that just needs to worry about Paul. He's got a lot on his hands right. Vince McMahon is running ECW. He's gonna run the show up there. Re-quote the first part of the quote because Paul needs to really worry about Paul because I don't think Paul has a clue what he's talking about when he talks about TNA...[after the quote is re-read]...It's not a consideration to anyone in this industry? Go ask Rhino that. Is Rhino not in the industry? And if we're not a consideration, it sort of boggles my mind that every opportunity WWE gets to file off any kind of legal letter, they do. It's truly a David vs. Goliath story. That's their prerogative. That's how Vince McMahon does business and he has all of his guys that work for him with that mentality. Vince is very successful. He's going to make ECW successful in spite of Paul."

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    m0jorisenm0jorisen Posts: 516
    DX to Return

HHH Michaels X-PAc TEST
    Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...