Options

Any wrestling fans?

Comments

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Booooorrrinnnnnnggggg.

Let me guess, Orton pins Umaga for the belt, setting up the next 3 pay per views worth of Orton vs HHH.
    Is that you, Steph???? ;):D
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Is that you, Steph???? ;):D

Exactly....sadly.

I just think its a decent opportunity to pull a rabbit out of their hats and do something no one is expecting. If its just going to be a boring Orton-HHH-Umaga match for the title, why don't they announce it. Do they really think people will be surprised if they wait until Sunday to say thats the new title match? You would HOPE that by not announcing it, they are using that as an opportunity to setup something pretty cool. But "no chance" that happens.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I just think its a decent opportunity to pull a rabbit out of their hats and do something no one is expecting. If its just going to be a boring Orton-HHH-Umaga match for the title, why don't they announce it. Do they really think people will be surprised if they wait until Sunday to say thats the new title match? You would HOPE that by not announcing it, they are using that as an opportunity to setup something pretty cool. But "no chance" that happens.

Do you know why wrestling was so successful between '96-'01?

You didn't know what to expect. Who expect Hogan to turn? Who expected NWO? Who expected the Attitude era from sugar-coated WWE?

Lost leaves me with a cliff-hanger from week to week...why can't they come up with intelligent storylines that are somewhat realistic?

I couldn't wait for Raw/Nitro to come on and I hated when it ended each Monday...those days are long gone.

I keep hoping TNA will rise up and shake things up.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,070
    i haven't watched wrestling in years, but i used to go to all these indy shows in the elks lodge at queens and ring of honor and me and my friends would heckle the wrestlers a lot. actually it's more like i would say the line and he would yell it. one time we saw d'lo brown, who in real life is an accountant so me and my friend kept yelling at d'lo telling him how he messed up our taxes..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Do you know why wrestling was so successful between '96-'01?

You didn't know what to expect. Who expect Hogan to turn? Who expected NWO? Who expected the Attitude era from sugar-coated WWE?

Agreed. And thats exactly what I'm talking about. They have the perfect opportunity to throw everyone a curveball this weekend with Cena being injured and the belt vacant.
  • Options
    perfect opportunity

They've had ample "perfect opportunities" over the past 5 or 6 years and they continue to screw them up.

•Invasion Angle: How can you screw something like that up?

•Rebirth of ECW: If they could've continued on after that Hammerstein show, things would have been great...but they got scared.

Plus, the fact that we'll never see Steve Austin vs. Hulk Hogan is a shame. Mostly, it's on the part of the individuals, but nevertheless.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    They've had ample "perfect opportunities" over the past 5 or 6 years and they continue to screw them up.

•Invasion Angle: How can you screw something like that up?

•Rebirth of ECW: If they could've continued on after that Hammerstein show, things would have been great...but they got scared.

Plus, the fact that we'll never see Steve Austin vs. Hulk Hogan is a shame. Mostly, it's on the part of the individuals, but nevertheless.

PBM

Very true, they have had plenty of at bats and they continue to strike out. I guess I thought this might be different, only because they didn't immediately announce a replacement title match for Sunday. Maybe it was just me being optimistic hoping things would change.

But I don't even like talking about ECW cause its not even the same thing. You can't take a shit in your hand and stamp 3 letters on it making people want to watch it. Its not even a shell of its former self.
  • Options
    But I don't even like talking about ECW cause its not even the same thing. You can't take a shit in your hand and stamp 3 letters on it making people want to watch it. Its not even a shell of its former self.

I agree...but that Hammerstein show show back in Aug '06 was classic. I still have it TiVo'd at home.

The NY crowd was hot that night and they acted like an old school ECW crowd.

PBM

• Options
    I agree...but that Hammerstein show show back in Aug '06 was classic. I still have it TiVo'd at home.

The NY crowd was hot that night and they acted like an old school ECW crowd.

PBM

Yeah I rented it, it was bad ass for sure. Nothing like what they have now.
  • Options
    Interesting quote from Tod Gordon.
    "I can't tell you what's in (Vince McMahon's) mind, but there is a theory that I have had in the last year or so. He always hated the fact that at his shows, in front of 20,000 people, as opposed to the thousand or two thousand that we would run in front of, people would yell ECW when they liked something. That became synonymous in this business with saying, "We like this." Not just a hardcore spot. Anything. It was off-the-charts different. Whenever they'd yell "ECW, ECW," it made Vince crazy. Because we were like the so-called innovator back then and he hated the fact that everyone in his building, that he paid for, people were yelling someone else's call letters. And no one had ever done that. No one was at anyone else's shows yelling "WWF" or "WCW." They didn't understand what the concept was. They didn't understand that they weren't saying, "Yes. ECW is the greatest thing in the world." They were saying, "We like this. This is good stuff." That was their way of approval… Slowly but surely, you'll notice, very rarely anymore will you be at a WWE show and hear them start yelling "ECW" because of some crazy, sick table spot or fire spot. He's finally started to get that out of the lexicon. It'll always be part of the lexicon…but he made people think that's what ECW is. And why would you want to chant "ECW, ECW" when ECW is all about Kelly Kelly and Miz? It's not what they wanted."

It's actually a pretty good theory.

• Options
    Interesting quote from Tod Gordon.
    "I can't tell you what's in (Vince McMahon's) mind, but there is a theory that I have had in the last year or so. He always hated the fact that at his shows, in front of 20,000 people, as opposed to the thousand or two thousand that we would run in front of, people would yell ECW when they liked something. That became synonymous in this business with saying, "We like this." Not just a hardcore spot. Anything. It was off-the-charts different. Whenever they'd yell "ECW, ECW," it made Vince crazy. Because we were like the so-called innovator back then and he hated the fact that everyone in his building, that he paid for, people were yelling someone else's call letters. And no one had ever done that. No one was at anyone else's shows yelling "WWF" or "WCW." They didn't understand what the concept was. They didn't understand that they weren't saying, "Yes. ECW is the greatest thing in the world." They were saying, "We like this. This is good stuff." That was their way of approval… Slowly but surely, you'll notice, very rarely anymore will you be at a WWE show and hear them start yelling "ECW" because of some crazy, sick table spot or fire spot. He's finally started to get that out of the lexicon. It'll always be part of the lexicon…but he made people think that's what ECW is. And why would you want to chant "ECW, ECW" when ECW is all about Kelly Kelly and Miz? It's not what they wanted."

It's actually a pretty good theory.
    Good little read.......it's all about Vince, baby.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    Anyone read RVD'S interview in Power Slam this month?
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    Carlos D wrote:

No, what did he have to say?

PBM

• Options
    Waiting for Jericho has become like Waiting for Godot.
  • Options
    Waiting for Jericho has become like Waiting for Godot.

Has it been officially confirmed? Because I imagine there will be a lot of pissed off fans if this thing doesn't turn out to be him.

He has a book coming out...could be milking the exposure.

PBM

• Options
    Has it been officially confirmed? Because I imagine there will be a lot of pissed off fans if this thing doesn't turn out to be him.

He has a book coming out...could be milking the exposure.

PBM

There are numerous reports that Stephanie is quite pissed off because people correctly identified the Save_Us clips to Jericho's return. She even went so far as to check the phone records and computer files of the writers to see if anyone had leaked it.

It was heavily rumored that Jericho was supposed to have returned this last Monday on RAW, but it didn't happen. I wouldn't be surprised if they are holding back on his return out of spite now.
  • Options
    It was heavily rumored that Jericho was supposed to have returned this last Monday on RAW, but it didn't happen. I wouldn't be surprised if they are holding back on his return out of spite now.

I read that RAW ratings have been up lately (especially last Monday) because folks (in theory) have been tuning in for Jericho's return.

PBM

• Options
    I wish they could go back to when they'd have guys come back unexpectedly. Seems like anyone that gets injured has 4-6 weeks worth of promos on all the shows, and then re-debuts at the next ppv. Granted the internet spoils alot of that. But still look at next week, instead of just having Austin show up they have to advertise it all week. I think if they just start randomly having guys show up, more people tune in cause they don't know when/where it will happen. I'm sure the rating will spike next week, but then they'll go right back down the following.
  • Options
    Chris Masters and DH Smith (Davey Boy's son who has been with the company for about 6 minutes) have both been suspended for drugs. For masters, it's a 2nd suspension
  • Options
    Carlos D wrote:
    If you have the scoop, some of us would be interested in hearing it??? BTW....is RVD still part of WWE????
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    If you have the scoop, some of us would be interested in hearing it??? BTW....is RVD still part of WWE????

I only read bits of it - I only had a minute or two to spare - but as far as I can tell, he's done with wrestling.:(

He also had some choice words about McMahon...
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    I only read bits of it - I only had a minute or two to spare - but as far as I can tell, he's done with wrestling.:(

He also had some choice words about McMahon...
    :( :( Damn, and he was probably my fave.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    :( :( Damn, and he was probably my fave.

Him being done with WWE wouldn't have bothered me. He said that it had become just a job, rather than something he enjoyed doing, so I can see why he wanted to go out on top. But I could see him doing really well in TNA... but he didn't seem that interested.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    RVD is the perfect example of Vince squashing an ECW guy, just so he can say: "See! I told you those guys were no good!"
  • Options
    welcome to...

[size=+3]RAW

IS

JERICHO!!![/size]
  • Options
    welcome to...

[size=+3]RAW

IS

JERICHO!!![/size]

I tuned in to see Jericho make his return. I enjoyed the pop he got, but unless there is a major shake up with the writing staff, his return is pointless.

He'll be shoveling dog poop in 6 months.

PBM

• Options
    I wonder if they let him write his own stuff like his original debut, or if they forced him to read Stephanie's drivel
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I tuned in to see Jericho make his return. I enjoyed the pop he got, but unless there is a major shake up with the writing staff, his return is pointless.

PBM
    2 months.
  • Options

PBM

I watched the last 15 minutes, knowing thats when they'd have Jericho come out. The pop was cool. Interesting to see him confront Orton as well, I wonder if part of his deal was giving him the belt right away....And by right away I mean drag it out 2-3 PPVs with DQ and countout endings.