Options

Any wrestling fans?

Comments

• Options
    There are a few things that could help the current product.

1. Use more managers as mouthpieces for wrestlers that can't talk on the microphone.

2. Add more realism into the show...it's too comical and a lot of what the wrestlers do doesn't make sense (i.e. Edge calls someone out and then acts surprised when they come out to confront him).

3. More stables (i.e. Four Horseman / The Cartel / Dangerous Alliance).

4. A stable tag-team division (i.e. stop throwing guys together).

5. There's nothing wrong with high spots. Triple H has injured his Quad twice by doing hardly anything. Let the boys put on a show.

6. Don't push wrestlers down the crowd's throat...if we don't like a guy, bench him...if we do, give him a push (i.e. CM Punk, RVD).

PBM

Good points. I was browsing youtube and found a clip from Survivor Series 2006, when DX teamed with The Hardyz and CM Punk. The crowd response for CM Punk should tell Vince and the rest of creative just how over he is with fans. But apparently Stephanie McMahon has some problem with him and so as a result he's squashed constantly.

Lashley....sure, he's powerful. But he has no presence and he can't cut a promo at all. But week in week out on ECW he's shoved down our throats. It's just boring.

RVD will be gone soon, for sure. I find it unlikely he'll renew his contract. It's a shame, he's so good.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I rented the Bret Hart DVD off of Blockbuster online this week. I sat down to watch it last night and here are my thoughts.

I like Bret Hart...he's a little bland...but he's a great wrestler.

Those early title runs back in the 90's...very boring...there's a reason Vince took the strap off of him...he may have been a great wrestler, but he didn't have the total package (no pun).

Honestly, after watching some off his work (both in matches and on the microphone), he really shined back in late '96 up until his departure in Nov. '97. He had a realism in his interviews that is sorely lacking today.

While Vince & Shawn did screw him over in Montreal, in the end, he's taking himself too seriously. It's all a work. Drop the belt and move on. Although, it's probably the best thing he's ever done for his legacy...because without Montreal, he wouldn't be as popular today. The mystic behind the circumstances and legitimacy of the situation will help keep him relevant for years to come.

PBM
    Do you think that his lack of the "total package" is one of the factors that allowed to WCW to gain ground and eventually overtake the WWF in the ratings wars???
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    Do you think that his lack of the "total package" is one of the factors that allowed to WCW to gain ground and eventually overtake the WWF in the ratings wars???

I think WCW won the ratings war with what they did, not necessarily what the WWF didn't, or couldn't do.

I always thought Bret was great, but in his time. He never seemed to fit in with the newer guys like Stone Cold, and the Rock. Guys that were great on the mic, not necessarily in the ring. Kinda like Benoit is now, that guy is a blast to watch, but what do you do with his character?
  • Options
    I think WCW won the ratings war with what they did, not necessarily what the WWF didn't, or couldn't do.

I always thought Bret was great, but in his time. He never seemed to fit in with the newer guys like Stone Cold, and the Rock. Guys that were great on the mic, not necessarily in the ring. Kinda like Benoit is now, that guy is a blast to watch, but what do you do with his character?
    I think that the initial victories in the ratings war were gained by the WCW doing things that the WWF didn't do....live shows, titles changing hands on non-pay-per-view events and such. Prior to the ratings war, RAW was taped and titles for the most part changed hands at ppv events.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    I think that the initial victories in the ratings war were gained by the WCW doing things that the WWF didn't do....live shows, titles changing hands on non-pay-per-view events and such. Prior to the ratings war, RAW was taped and titles for the most part changed hands at ppv events.

I guess that was more what I meant that what I said. I just thought WCW was a bit more innovative at the time, so yeah it was what WCW did that WWF didn't do. I just didn't think Bret was to blame at all for what he couldn't do.
  • Options
    WCW was so lame......4 life
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    WCW threw out the rule book in '96 and '97. They borrowed from Japanese storylines, but it made for interesting tv.

Friends who didn't even like wrestling would gather with me around the tv. It was a fun time. We would watch the first hour of Nitro, flip to Monday Night Football while having another TV (in another room) flipping back and forth between Nitro and RAW. I miss college. :(

The whole invaison angle shook up wrestling at it's core. It's unlikely that we'll ever see a boom like that again.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    No, we won't. Though they'll keep trying, with the Lame Raw/Smackdown feuds
  • Options
    No, we won't. Though they'll keep trying, with the Lame Raw/Smackdown feuds
    or the lame old school ECW vs the new ECW. I still believe that Vince is mad at the world because WCW and ECW made him change the way that he did business. Yes, changing (evolving) made him a butt-load of money, but it made it look like he was doing things w...w...wrrr...wrrrrr....wrong.
  • Options
    What's your favorite mark-out moments?

Here's mine:

1. RAW is ECW - back when the Invasion angle was getting warmed up, and Heyman & all of the ECW guys were together in the ring. That great feeling lasted all of an hour, because by the end of the show, they were aligned with the WCW dudes.

2. Rock v. Hogan @ WM18 - 'nuff said.

3. Benoit winning the title at WM20

4. "La Parka" defeating Randy Savage in WCW via the Diamond Cutter. Turns out, it was DDP dressed as La Parka.
  • Options
    1. RAW is ECW - back when the Invasion angle was getting warmed up, and Heyman & all of the ECW guys were together in the ring. That great feeling lasted all of an hour, because by the end of the show, they were aligned with the WCW dudes.

Better than that was when Old School ECW invaded the Manhattan Center back in '97 for a night. That was flippin' great

4. "La Parka" defeating Randy Savage in WCW via the Diamond Cutter. Turns out, it was DDP dressed as La Parka.

I'm not positive, but I think I was at this event live...I seem to recall this took place during a Nitro in Memphis.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• Options
    I'm trying to think of mark out moments...

The Rock winning the WWF championship with the help of Stone Cold at Backlash 2000. After being so gutted that HHH retained the title at wrestlemania that year, i stayed up to watch Backlash here in the UK. The way the story unfolded just perfectly....Vince comes out and says Austin won't be showing up so the crowd boos. But we all know it was gonna be a matter of time before he came out, and when the glass broke and Austin came out, i went absolutely nuts. And then Rocky hit the spinebuster, and we all know the rest. I think that's still my favourite moment from the last 7 years. It was just great, entertaining storytelling. I only started watching again in late '99 so i missed all the classic moments from '97 and '98 that people talk about.

Royal Rumble 2004 - the clock counts down and the Undertaker's gong plays. Crowd goes nuts, and so did i. I hadn't watched any wrestling for a few months so i didn't know that Taker had been buried alive against Vince at Survivor Series 2003. What followed was two months of absolutely perfect hyping of the Dead Man's return.

Someone already mentioned it, but during the Invasion angle when all the ECW guys got in the ring. It was an electric moment.

The Rock confronting Hogan on Raw and challening him to a match at Wrestlemania. When the stood face to face, and the crowd are chanting for both of them, it was so surreal. Never thought i'd see it.

Rock vs Hogan at WM 18. Now, i absolutely hate Hogan and always have. But when he kicked out of a rock bottom and started hulking up, i just went crazy lol. It'd been years since i'd seen him do it as i never watched WCW. It was such a cool moment.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    I read that WWE is interested in signing some lucha libre wrestlers, particularly La Parka.

At first, I got excited because I loved La Parka in WCW. But the wrestler that the WWE wants is the La Parka from AAA, which isn't the real La Parka. The original is Adolfo Tapia, who left AAA for a rival company. However, AAA owns the rights to the name "La Parka", so Tapia currently wrestles under "L.A. Park" instead, and they have an imposter La Parka in AAA now.

The Chairman of WCW ruled. Bring back the REAL La Parka!
  • Options
    From http://www.pwinsider.com

ECW star Andrew "Test" Martin was released by World Wrestling Entertainment today. Martin was suspended due to a Wellness Policy violation last month and as reported by PWInsider.com yesterday was involved in a car accident in Florida.

Martin was last seen losing several matches in a row to ECW World champion Bobby Lashley in a move that was obviously designed to bury him on the way out after he received a sizable push in the ECW relaunch

PBM

• Options

ECW star Andrew "Test" Martin was released by World Wrestling Entertainment today. Martin was suspended due to a Wellness Policy violation last month and as reported by PWInsider.com yesterday was involved in a car accident in Florida.

Martin was last seen losing several matches in a row to ECW World champion Bobby Lashley in a move that was obviously designed to bury him on the way out after he received a sizable push in the ECW relaunch

PBM
    There are wrestling gods..........what a waste of TV time. Go back to being a bodyguard or a bouncer.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    bodyguard

For the Crue, no less.

PBM

PBM

• Options
    For the Crue, no less.

PBM

PBM
    LMAO........not my favorite band. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Too bad we won't ever see Austin- Hogan...remember, at their prime, I dare say Austin blew up bigger than Hogan did in his. It was just insane. It was like introducing a new color to the stale wheel in late 97-01. And the influence of Austin directed wrestling in a whole other direction.

Reason for this 'fight' not happening, Austin is the only person around today (with legacy intact) that can say.....'Nope. I'm not jobbing to Hogan at WM.'

Austin-Hogan, Austin-Goldberg (the REAL moneymatch of the late 90's)....just a shame. I would have paid good money to see these matches simply so I could listen who the crowds would have supported.
  • Options
    Austin-Hogan

I won't deny Hogan's influence on the industry. Ask anyone if they know someone from wrestling and Hogan is the first name they'll supply.

I never liked Hogan, his work or his attitude.

Thumbs up to Steve for refusing to do the job.

PBM

• Options
    Too bad we won't ever see Austin- Hogan...remember, at their prime, I dare say Austin blew up bigger than Hogan did in his. It was just insane. It was like introducing a new color to the stale wheel in late 97-01. And the influence of Austin directed wrestling in a whole other direction.

Reason for this 'fight' not happening, Austin is the only person around today (with legacy intact) that can say.....'Nope. I'm not jobbing to Hogan at WM.'

Austin-Hogan, Austin-Goldberg (the REAL moneymatch of the late 90's)....just a shame. I would have paid good money to see these matches simply so I could listen who the crowds would have supported.
    I remember driving home late night from my then girlfriend's house sometime in the early 1990s and hearing Paul Heyman on a late-night sports talk show. This had to be in either 1990, 1991 or early 1992. He was saying then that the next big name in wrestling was going to be Austin. I, of course, laughed because this might have been the era of the Hollywood Blondes.
  • Options

WWE's third annual ECW One Night Stand PPV event has been moved from the Hammerstein Ballroom in New York City, which housed the previous two ONS events, to Jacksonville, Florida's Veterans Memorial Arena.

The date of the PPV was also moved from 6/10 to 6/3

Smart move on the WWE's behalf...that NYC crowd would riot this year.

PBM

• Options
    I love double double e
  • Options
    ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    Did anyone enjoy Raw last night?
    It was great to see Bischoff, Shane-O, Foley and Austin in one segment. Austin's pop was insane. Nobody currently in the WWE can pop a crowd like that today, which is a shame.

• Options
    Smart move on the WWE's behalf...that NYC crowd would riot this year.

PBM
    That would have been funny :cool:
  • Options
    Did anyone enjoy Raw last night?
    It was great to see Bischoff, Shane-O, Foley and Austin in one segment. Austin's pop was insane. Nobody currently in the WWE can pop a crowd like that today, which is a shame.
    I think that a lot of us have about given up on RAW & Smackdown & (the fake) ECW.
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    I think that a lot of us have about given up on RAW & Smackdown & (the fake) ECW.

Yeah...ever since I started watching Heroes on Mondays, I don't even bother to switch over afterwards.

"Wrestling is Dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

PBM

• Options
    Yeah...ever since I started watching Heroes on Mondays, I don't even bother to switch over afterwards.

"Wrestling is Dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

PBM
    I think I am on a three week long sabbatical from WWE.....so far. I never imagined being this disinterested in pro wrestling. :(
  • Options
    tybird wrote:
    I think I am on a three week long sabbatical from WWE.....so far. I never imagined being this disinterested in pro wrestling. :(

I haven't watched any form of WWE for at least two months. Don't even bother taping them. I'll still read the spoilers, but so far nothing has sounded remotely interesting enough to make me want to watch.

TNA has been getting bad too. I tape the hour-long Impact and can usually fast-forward through it in about ten minutes.
  • Options
    I haven't watched any form of WWE for at least two months. Don't even bother taping them. I'll still read the spoilers, but so far nothing has sounded remotely interesting enough to make me want to watch.

TNA has been getting bad too. I tape the hour-long Impact and can usually fast-forward through it in about ten minutes.
    I am a late comer to TNA.....and frankly, I am disappointed in the TV product. Every show that I have seen on TV (not pay-per-view) has been an hour long promo for a pay-per-view. It is as bad as the WWF was in the years before the "Monday Night Wars." I have seen nothing from them that makes me want to pay for one of their events.

On another note, was one surprised about Kurt Angle's name appearing in the latest sports steroids scandal. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Another sad day for wrestling...
    Former WWF star passes away...

Allen Coage, best known for his WWF stint as Bad News Brown, passed away today at the age of 63. He was rushed to Rockyview Hospital in Calgary this morning for chest pains and died shortly after.

Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of Allen Coage.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.