Options

December Weight Loss Challenge

Comments

• Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    I weighed in at 213.5 this morning. That's a 1 lb. gain from yesterday despite eating very healthy and doing about 40 minutes of cardio. My weight fluctuates quite frequently so it didn't bother me that I gained. I'm doing very well so far and am feeling a lot better mentally and physically already. I'm drinking a ton of water and cutting out all the junk I was taking in. Hopefully I will be down to 210 by weeks end. I always lose a big chunk the first couple weeks when I make a big lifestyle change. It's sticking with the changes long term that I usually have a problem with. I'm determined to do just that.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    adam42381 wrote:
    I weighed in at 213.5 this morning. That's a 1 lb. gain from yesterday despite eating very healthy and doing about 40 minutes of cardio. My weight fluctuates quite frequently so it didn't bother me that I gained. I'm doing very well so far and am feeling a lot better mentally and physically already. I'm drinking a ton of water and cutting out all the junk I was taking in. Hopefully I will be down to 210 by weeks end. I always lose a big chunk the first couple weeks when I make a big lifestyle change. It's sticking with the changes long term that I usually have a problem with. I'm determined to do just that.

Nice Job Dude. Yea I wouldn't worry too much about just 1 day, I don't think the effects could be that immediate. That 1 LB might just be the food in your stomach despite how healthy it was. I am no health expert but I would just imagine that after a week or so your body turns on the turbo-mode if your exercising and starts eating up some beer gut.

Just keep plugging away and sharing your success because any success story could be the sole motivation for someone to change their mindset completely.......
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    adam42381 wrote:

Good luck and keep up the good work! I only weigh myself once a week due to the fluctuations. Plus the last time I lost a lot of weight (120 lbs.) I got a little OCD and would weigh myself 5-6 times a day. No longer have a scale in my apartment, and stick to weighing in on Saturday's only, contest or none.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    adam42381 wrote:
    Yea, I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you ate right, the 1lb gain is almost certainly water..that fluctuates all the time.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Right now I use an ellipticall (Sp?) for 30 mins a day, and 4x a week I do a 3 sets of 15 pushups, and 4x a week i do some curls with my 20lb dumbells. Nothing too intense but I definitely am going to step up my workout as soon as I feel a bit more athletic.

I really hope that the feeling good isn't just a temporary high. I know myself and if it stops making me feel good I will be pretty discouraged, but with losing LB's and looking better I can't see it really going too badly.

I don't know if its the sedintary (sp?) life style I live sitting in a cube and then sitting around my house but I just have gotten very depressed over the last year. And with this new routine only 3 days in I am feeling more confident, more energetic, less anxious, less depressed... and more!!

any testimonials on exercise and its overall mood lift over a certain time frame????? LONG POST SORRY

Fear not, it is not a temporary high!

Over the long frame it becomes a mindset and you'll get depressed/down if you miss. I think your body truly becomes addicted to the endorphines (is that right?) and testosterone from lifting, because I miss and my self esteem isn't quite as high.

I'll just come out and say it - when the changes in your body start happening and people start noticing your results, you'll feel like a badass. Not in an asshole way, but in a "Fuck Yeah!" way. I just got back form the gym and I'm ready to tackle the rest of my work day and go home and enjoy my evening afterwards b/c I've earned it today.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I'll keep posting. This board is what's gonna keep me accountable!
    adam42381 wrote:
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I'll keep posting. This board is what's gonna keep me accountable!

Nice man. I never realized how much music makes a difference in a routine. The last 2 days I worked out to the first 7 tracks of the Boston '03 night 3 acoustic set. It is wierd that acoustic music motivates me but it puts me on a high where I can just keep pushin through. Damn I love that feeling.

But yea seriously keep in touch with the thread and I'll do the same, that goes for everybody!

It is wierd feeling good makes me feel like I did about 4 or 5 years ago, and it is like de-ja-vu. Sweet feeling though.
  • Options
    Weighed in at 212.5 this morning. Back down 1 lb. from yesterday and at the same point as the day before. I really want to make it to 210 by weeks end but don't know if it's gonna happen. I'm eating very well for the first time in a long while.
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    Down from last week, my jeans are much more comfortable today. Now that the water weight is gone, I have 'officially' weighed in. Yuck. :/

Had my first -real- workout as a non-smoker and I LOVED it. :) Made a deal with myself ---> for every 10 health-club visits, I can spend 20 bucks at the Spa. I also won a free 30 day pass to a new Shapes Express so I have 2 places to work out at.

No excuses!
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    12/8 results: 197 down 1lb!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    12/8 results

down 3 lbs SweeeeeeeeeeeeeT
  • Options
    To all health minded individuals

great website to scope out on an ongoing basis:
    http://www.newstarget.com/index.html
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    Fear not, it is not a temporary high!

Over the long frame it becomes a mindset and you'll get depressed/down if you miss. I think your body truly becomes addicted to the endorphines (is that right?) and testosterone from lifting, because I miss and my self esteem isn't quite as high.

I'll just come out and say it - when the changes in your body start happening and people start noticing your results, you'll feel like a badass. Not in an asshole way, but in a "Fuck Yeah!" way. I just got back form the gym and I'm ready to tackle the rest of my work day and go home and enjoy my evening afterwards b/c I've earned it today.

I'll add to that. On the days you really don't feel like working out, do it anyways because afterwards it feels so much better by contrast. These are the days you need exercise (when you're feeling crummy). Whenever I get like this I always say to myself afterwards oh man...thank god I went to work out.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    I'm making no progress at all.....we have been eating out at very fine restaurants that undo all my good eating for the rest of the week....oh well there is always the new year coming!!!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    adam42381 wrote:
    Weighed in at 212.5 this morning. Back down 1 lb. from yesterday and at the same point as the day before. I really want to make it to 210 by weeks end but don't know if it's gonna happen. I'm eating very well for the first time in a long while.

but you were down in weight. that's a positive. keep at it.

I'll report Tuesday night!
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    1. 120
    9. 117

Went to Disneyland, ate crap, but did so much walking all over those parks that it must've cancelled out the corn dogs, cookies and ice cream. :D
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    Well, things are still going very well for me. I weighed in at 209.5 today. That makes it 8.5 lbs lost in 7 days! I'm eating as healthily as I have ever eaten and am working out quite a bit too. I have to keep this up. I did drink quite a bit on Saturday night but I stuck with rum and Diet Coke so it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been calorie-wise. Keep it up everybody!
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    Congrats to everyone for doing so well!!! Keep it up everybody.
  • Options
    adam42381 wrote:
    Well, things are still going very well for me. I weighed in at 209.5 today. That makes it 8.5 lbs lost in 7 days! I'm eating as healthily as I have ever eaten and am working out quite a bit too. I have to keep this up. I did drink quite a bit on Saturday night but I stuck with rum and Diet Coke so it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been calorie-wise. Keep it up everybody!

holy shit dawg so you are losing over a pound a day? take it easy brother that ain't healthy. be patient. a pound a week seems good
  • Options
    holy shit dawg so you are losing over a pound a day? take it easy brother that ain't healthy. be patient. a pound a week seems good
    The weight always falls off of me rather quickly for about 2 weeks then slows dramatically. I don't expect it to keep up the current pace.
    adam42381 wrote:
    The weight always falls off of me rather quickly for about 2 weeks then slows dramatically. I don't expect it to keep up the current pace.

Yep, exactly. That's why losing fat over a long period of time is difficult.

When your weight loss comes to a halt, and you're eating exactly the same as you are now....do this:

http://www.ironmagazineforums.com/diet-nutrition/25250-refeeds-leptin.html

It never fails.

Tricks of the trade!
  • Options
    weekends are tough, alot of booze and food and no desire to workout, but came back strong for Monday with about 2 hours working out. still down 4 lbs since the start.
  • Options
    down 1.8lbs from last week. sticking to program - fruits & veggies, enough protien to keep me satisfied, plenty of water, the gym and of course, a little spoiling in the form of dark chocolate covered almonds! The danger zone for me is work and the plethora of junk that is available. Keeping at it. Goal for this week is another 1.2lbs. I've got my plans for the week so I know what's coming for social events, where I'll be eating (knowing the menu is huge!) and I'll fit in time at the gym.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

• Options
    weekends are tough, alot of booze and food and no desire to workout, but came back strong for Monday with about 2 hours working out. still down 4 lbs since the start.

booze is the tough one....other than my work danger zone, I drink my calories. I've definitely found a difference in my eating habits depending on the alcohol I drink. Beer? oh yeah, you'll find me inhaling pizza, chinese and all sorts of junk at 2am. Martinis - great with a good meal. I tend to stick to vodka/rocks and somehow manage to make better food choices.

keep up the good work!

• Options
    Whizbang wrote:
    booze is the tough one....other than my work danger zone, I drink my calories. I've definitely found a difference in my eating habits depending on the alcohol I drink. Beer? oh yeah, you'll find me inhaling pizza, chinese and all sorts of junk at 2am. Martinis - great with a good meal. I tend to stick to vodka/rocks and somehow manage to make better food choices.

keep up the good work!

I can't tell you how many times I have thoroughly enjoyed a meal at the end of a night of hard drinking and then just passed out. That is so bad. Vodka/Rocks sounds gooooooooood.

But nice job also you seem to be progressing along! I weighed in today and apparently I am down 7 lb's since the start but I can't seem to notice a real physical difference. I really wish I would have taken a before and after pic or something.
  • Options
    I can't tell you how many times I have thoroughly enjoyed a meal at the end of a night of hard drinking and then just passed out. That is so bad. Vodka/Rocks sounds gooooooooood.

But nice job also you seem to be progressing along! I weighed in today and apparently I am down 7 lb's since the start but I can't seem to notice a real physical difference. I really wish I would have taken a before and after pic or something.

Thanks!

check how your clothes fit....that's where I noticed it the most (when I initially started losing weight on WW).

yes...the binge drinking then eating is bad. It's why I don't allow certain foods in my house (Cheezits, Oreos, Suzi Qs are three that have a restraining order against them)....I'd come home from a night at the bars drinking draft beers, find myself in bed in the morning with the box of Cheezits, 3/4 gone...and that's after hitting some late night fast food place.

Bellevedere on the rocks with lemon....mmmmmmmmm......Ketel One is the second runner-up. Try either laying off the booze for a weekend, replacing it with more water or if you know beer is a trigger for eating, try hard alcohol instead.

• Options
    I lost 2 pounds last week! (I am weighing in on Mondays, because I couldn't find my scale until last Monday...lol.)

Also, a pair of pants that I bought 3 weeks ago are now too big for me! I'm more excited about that than I am the 2 lbs. :) I wish I'd measured my self all over. I think I'll do that tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    I lost 2 pounds last week! (I am weighing in on Mondays, because I couldn't find my scale until last Monday...lol.)

Also, a pair of pants that I bought 3 weeks ago are now too big for me! I'm more excited about that than I am the 2 lbs. :) I wish I'd measured my self all over. I think I'll do that tomorrow morning.

that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep it up!

• Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    It's been a while and I have forgotten the technical terms...

When your liver processes ANY kind of alcohol, it turns it into/releases a substance your body LOVES; something it will use for fuel before anything else. If you have a few drinks one night and go to the gym the next day, you are going to burn the alcohol-related stuff first... alcohol is much more than a calorie thing. (someone correct me if I'm wrong -- like I said, it's been a while since I've been serious about losing weight.)

If you drink 2-3 times a week, stop for a few weeks and watch the scale move. Never fails. :/ My brother stopped drinking for a month (on a bet) and he lost 12lbs without changing a single thing. Never worked out and ate the same crap every day.
  • Options
    It's been a while and I have forgotten the technical terms...

When your liver processes ANY kind of alcohol, it turns it into/releases a substance your body LOVES; something it will use for fuel before anything else. If you have a few drinks one night and go to the gym the next day, you are going to burn the alcohol-related stuff first... alcohol is much more than a calorie thing. (someone correct me if I'm wrong -- like I said, it's been a while since I've been serious about losing weight.)

If you drink 2-3 times a week, stop for a few weeks and watch the scale move. Never fails. :/ My brother stopped drinking for a month (on a bet) and he lost 12lbs without changing a single thing. Never worked out and ate the same crap every day.

additionally, alcohol dehydrates you and causes you to retain water. Cut the alcohol and increase water intake, you'll lose some weight.