Options

December Weight Loss Challenge

Comments

• Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I wish all of you would stop posting that last picture....it is really disturbing.
    :eek:

You should know that I had to find a new link to that very pic, as the last one that I used was dead! :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    I gained about 5 lbs. in November and weighed in at an all-time high of 218 lbs. this morning. Again, I'm 6'1" and can't stand looking at myself in the mirror anymore. I had some yogurt and black coffee for breakfast this morning and went to Subway for lunch (6" ham/turkey and baked Lays). Going to the gym tonight after work. I'm hoping to be at 205-210 by Christmas (I know it's a lot but when I cut out soft drinks, alcohol and eat healthy I drop weight pretty fast). My ultimate goal is 180 lbs. by my birthday in April. It's a lofty goal but I'm dedicated to making it. Cutting out beer is going to be the tough one, especially on weekends. Let's keep each other motivated to keep working hard and lose some weight!!!
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    mookie9999 wrote:
    I'm not into the any diet that I consider to be extreme (ie cutting out all of "fill in the blank"). I've been eating healthier, cutting out the majority of junk, and work out more often. Seems to be working. But if it stops, there's always crack to go back to! :D

that's my plan, and always works well when i stick with it. :)

no time to get online saturday....so basically, no change. :o however, i was terrible last week, so didn't expect any better and quite happy i didn't gain. THIS week tho, i am getting serious.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    adam42381 wrote:
    I gained about 5 lbs. in November and weighed in at an all-time high of 218 lbs. this morning. Again, I'm 6'1" and can't stand looking at myself in the mirror anymore. I had some yogurt and black coffee for breakfast this morning and went to Subway for lunch (6" ham/turkey and baked Lays). Going to the gym tonight after work. I'm hoping to be at 205-210 by Christmas (I know it's a lot but when I cut out soft drinks, alcohol and eat healthy I drop weight pretty fast). My ultimate goal is 180 lbs. by my birthday in April. It's a lofty goal but I'm dedicated to making it. Cutting out beer is going to be the tough one, especially on weekends. Let's keep each other motivated to keep working hard and lose some weight!!!

Good luck!! You can do it (Said like Rob Schneider as the Cajun Man).
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    Here's a free website that helps you keep track of your progress. You can enter your weight, diet and workout daily and it tracks it for you. You can also add motivators to keep you going. It will send you an email weekly with your progress. My username is adam2121 (I had an account at one point under adam42381 but wanted to start a fresh one). Good luck all!

http://www.traineo.com
    Went to the gym tonight...did a five minute walk to warm up before intense circuit training at Gold's. I was dying after doing 3 sets of 10 reps at all 10 stations. I finished up with a jog/walk for 5 minutes. I'm not a big smoker (only when I drink) but I could definitely feel the 2 packs I smoked this past weekend while at the bars on Friday and Saturday. The diet went very well today. For dinner we had brown rice and chicken with a baked potato (no butter or sour cream). For snacks, I ate a couple bananas and a couple handfuls of dry roasted peanuts. I really want to stick with it this time. I usually do well until the weekend comes around and friends want to go out...
    mookie9999 wrote:
    You should know that I had to find a new link to that very pic, as the last one that I used was dead! :D

That piercing is so hot...it really helps with the sag factor.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    roarroar Posts: 1,116
    i'm back on phase 1 until christmas. anyone else south beachin' it until the holidays?
  • Options
    Well, I weighed myself this morning (day 2) and I weighed 215 lbs. This is a loss of 3 lbs. in one day. I can attribute part of it to diet/exercise but I'm sure some of it is just natural weight fluctuation. Hope the weight comes off easily the whole time!
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    adam42381 wrote:
    Well, I weighed myself this morning (day 2) and I weighed 215 lbs. This is a loss of 3 lbs. in one day. I can attribute part of it to diet/exercise but I'm sure some of it is just natural weight fluctuation. Hope the weight comes off easily the whole time!

good luck with your goals.

in my experience, the first little while you adjust to cutting out bad food and beer and exercise and drink water, you drop a few pounds quick.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    alright, I am going to get in on this too.

it's about time I get back to working out 4-5 times a week, eating a bit more healthy, eliminating some foods I should be eating in moderation, but am not, and feeling a bit more energetic and positive.

I went to the gym today for the first time in 3 weeks, and went for a 35 min walk in the bitter cold last night.

I start at x30 and try to get that down to x20.

10 pound increments at a time
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,015
    Sorry I post late, but I just weighed in at 177.5 on my scale (which is usually 3-5 lbs heavy). I'm trying for 172 by the end of the month, which puts me within my BMI rate. No workout today, I'm feeling kind of out of it, but anyway I've got bowling tonight, and plan on my usual 4.4-4.6 mile elliptical workout along with wedding dance practice tommorow. As for food I'm not feeling too well so I haven't eaten too much yet today. Usually I grab a grilled cheese at bowling to wash down my 6-8 cups of mich ultra. Good luck all.
  • Options
    That piercing is so hot...it really helps with the sag factor.

Thank You!! Now if someone could convey this to Trixie so she could see the hotness in it!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Thank You!! Now if someone could convey this to Trixie so she could see the hotness in it!
    I don't believe anything that guy says anymore anyway...he posted a paris hilton link. lol
    Not that i have anything against her. Just celebrity gossip is so silly. So American..dontcha think? ;)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I don't believe anything that guy says anymore anyway...he posted a paris hilton link. lol
    Not that i have anything against her. Just celebrity gossip is so silly. So American..dontcha think? ;)

Damn Americans!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Damn Americans!
    They is so dumb.
    I am just joshing with RTDK. I will stop joking with him if he would just send some naked pictures of himself. I am not sure how many times I have to ask.
    And believe me, I have been quite cordial....:mad:
  • Options
    I weighed in at 212.5 today. Yesterday my diet was nearly identical to the day before so I'm doing very well there. Instead of going to the gym last night, I did the Wii workout for about 45 minutes and worked up a decent sweat and got my heart rate up. I hope to keep it up!
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I'm pushin 125... I need to start lifting again!
  • Options
    Lay down the strength training as your framework, and throw in 30 mins of cardio afterwards. Runs first thing in the morning on a 100 calorie protein shake (only) is godlike as well. You want that muscle growth more than anything, which is near impossible to do when cutting calories, but it's always primary objective #1 to shedding fat. Strength training raises the metabolism for a couple days afterwards while the muscles heal...cardio can't touch that in one session like strength training can. If you break up and isolate body parts on different days of the week, you can see how this metabolic increase cascades. Try to eat 5 - 7 times a day within your caloric zone, approx 10% of the calories are burned via thermic effect from digestion (especially protein). Your cannot manufacture protein and your body needs it approx every 3 hours. It's a see-saw process of bulking (exceeding BMR caloric intake to gain muscle) and dropping below BMR requirements to shed fat. Back and forth the process goes, and with each cutting up period you have bigger and better guns to fight the battle so to speak.

In any regard without getting too technical, if you're cutting calories you need to (need to) strength train in the lower rep zone (6-8 to failure) in order to tell your body to hold on to as much muscle mass as possible during this time, otherwise your body will consume muscle tissue for energy. This is like throwing all that hard work out the window. It's not all this severe, however, it has all become very scientific now, and this is the recipe that gets you there the fastest. Straight line.

Ultimately, it's all about tipping the scale towards muscle...it's fat's kryptonite in every way.

I highly recommend this book It's the best there is on the subject:
    http://www.formerfatguy.com/burnthefat/burn-the-fat-review.asp

(It can be bit torrented in a matter of minutes).

best of luck!
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    I walk nearly every day and try to get in a Tai-bo or kickboxing video a few days a week. I have a resistance band. Anyone have any suggestions for other resistance band exercises that I should be doing or any other strength exercises I can do from home? Thanks!
    No time to be void or save up on life. You got to spend it all.
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    I'm not into the any diet that I consider to be extreme (ie cutting out all of "fill in the blank"). I've been eating healthier, cutting out the majority of junk, and work out more often. Seems to be working. But if it stops, there's always crack to go back to! :D
    Well, it works for me.
    I drank on like 15 lbs...lol
    10 are gone.
    :)
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Well, it works for me.
    I drank on like 15 lbs...lol
    10 are gone.
    :)

Extreme diets or crack? ;)
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    Lay down the strength training as your framework, and throw in 30 mins of cardio afterwards. Runs first thing in the morning on a 100 calorie protein shake (only) is godlike as well. You want that muscle growth more than anything, which is near impossible to do when cutting calories, but it's always primary objective #1 to shedding fat. Strength training raises the metabolism for a couple days afterwards while the muscles heal...cardio can't touch that in one session like strength training can. If you break up and isolate body parts on different days of the week, you can see how this metabolic increase cascades. Try to eat 5 - 7 times a day within your caloric zone, approx 10% of the calories are burned via thermic effect from digestion (especially protein). Your cannot manufacture protein and your body needs it approx every 3 hours. It's a see-saw process of bulking (exceeding BMR caloric intake to gain muscle) and dropping below BMR requirements to shed fat. Back and forth the process goes, and with each cutting up period you have bigger and better guns to fight the battle so to speak.

In any regard without getting too technical, if you're cutting calories you need to (need to) strength train in the lower rep zone (6-8 to failure) in order to tell your body to hold on to as much muscle mass as possible during this time, otherwise your body will consume muscle tissue for energy. This is like throwing all that hard work out the window. It's not all this severe, however, it has all become very scientific now, and this is the recipe that gets you there the fastest. Straight line.

Ultimately, it's all about tipping the scale towards muscle...it's fat's kryptonite in every way.

I highly recommend this book It's the best there is on the subject:
    http://www.formerfatguy.com/burnthefat/burn-the-fat-review.asp

(It can be bit torrented in a matter of minutes).

best of luck!

Yep, you have to give your body an excuse not to burn muscle along with fat when cutting calories. Weight lifting is so much more important than cardio for fat burning, and many people don't realize this.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Saturnal wrote:
    Yep, you have to give your body an excuse not to burn muscle along with fat when cutting calories. Weight lifting is so much more important than cardio for fat burning, and many people don't realize this.

I don't know about "so much more," but it is certainly extremely important, I'd say it's 33% reasonable diet / 33% cardio / 33% resistance training.

I'd say also it's based on where you are in the immediate. For example, if one is heavily overweight, it's better to focus on cardio/reasonable decreased calories to drop the excess, and then to focus on weights / proper daily diet to build muscle to both have a fit look and to maintain a lean body for going forward.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    I don't know about "so much more," but it is certainly extremely important, I'd say it's 33% reasonable diet / 33% cardio / 33% resistance training.

I'd say also it's based on where you are in the immediate. For example, if one is heavily overweight, it's better to focus on cardio/reasonable decreased calories to drop the excess, and then to focus on weights / proper daily diet to build muscle to both have a fit look and to maintain a lean body for going forward.

Gotta disagree with you there. No matter how overweight you are, your body will still burn muscle if you're cutting calories and not lifting. I've gone through periods of losing lots of fat without doing a second of cardio...just lifted and cut calories properly. When I first started trying to burn fat a while back, I did nothing but eat less and did intense cardio twice a day...after about a month, I couldn't lose anymore weight on the same caloric intake. That's because I lost muscle and my metabolism crashed. I think that's what happens to many people who "diet". They cut calories and start walking or something, and they lose weight for a little while, then it haults. Then they either give up or try to eat less and less...in turn they burn more and more muscle. Which is why most people will put more weight back on after they go back to their normal eating habits.

And I'd say it's more like 80% diet and 20% training. That's just in my experience though.
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Extreme diets or crack? ;)
    It is not extreme to cut junk out of your diet.

I don't smoke crack.
    lol
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    It is not extreme to cut junk out of your diet.

I don't smoke crack.
    lol

Not extreme to cut out junk, but this is what jamie had wrote that you agreed with:
    jamie uk wrote:
    OK, here's the secret, but you need will power...
    don't eat potatoes.
    don't eat bread.
    don't eat pasta, unless you intend to excercise afterwards.
    substitute with tuna fish, or any fish(not fried), tomatoes, meat, and salads.
    stop snacking on rubbish......don't deny it..we've all done it.
    substitute rubbish snacks with fruit.
    There's no magic formula, just change your habits....
    and maybe substitute beer for a glass of wine.

Things like potatoes, bread, and pasta are not junk food. I don't care what those folks at Atkins say. I will eat all of these and thensome in moderation
    and be happy as a pig in slop, well a skinny pig anyways! :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Not extreme to cut out junk, but this is what jamie had wrote that you agreed with:

Things like potatoes, bread, and pasta are not junk food. I don't care what those folks at Atkins say. I will eat all of these and thensome in moderation
    and be happy as a pig in slop, well a skinny pig anyways! :D
    I agree with anything jamie says regardless of how silly it may sound.
    ;)

Potatoes, white flour and white rice are just not great things for your body...they offer almost no fiber at all, not to mention vitamins, minerals or protein.
    I am not saying you can never have them ever again...but for me, it works.
    I find I feel so much worse after I eat a pile of mashed potatoes or some white bread. There are no redeeming qualities.
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I am not saying you can never have them ever again...but for me, it works.
    I find I feel so much worse after I eat a pile of mashed potatoes or some white bread. There are no redeeming qualities.

I know it's not forever, but to me cutting certain items out completely for any length of time is extreme. It is also one of the main reason that "diets" such as Atkins are so prone to failure. Fast results followed up with weight gain once the cravings return. And yes I know there are healthy carbs, I eat those too, but like I said before, if it's working for me, why stop? As to the redeeming qualities, you obviously aren't eating them right! :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Someone didn't get the memo about starting these types of things in January. It's the fucking holidays, don't be a party pooper..And what's this about potatoes being bad for you?? It's a fucking vegetable no? Good luck everyone :)..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'