Options

December Weight Loss Challenge

Comments

• Options
    you could do what they do on the biggest loser. They take weight loss and divide it by the body weight to get the percentage weight loss for that week. Then its fair between men and women.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    you could do what they do on the biggest loser. They take weight loss and divide it by the body weight to get the percentage weight loss for that week. Then its fair between men and women.

That sounds good to me. All right. If interested I will provide the winner with a Pearl Jam dvd bootleg of their choice. I will send the winner my list because if I post it here this thread will probably get shut down.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    I'm in. We joined Gold's several months back but I never go anymore. I want to lose around 30 lbs. before my birthday in April. I just have to get motivated. I'm 6'1" and 210 lbs. and I'd love to get down to 180 lbs. I don't look that big until my shirt comes off. It's gotten to the point where I'm disgusted at what I see. I just need to stay motivated because I really love to eat!
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I'm getting a major high off circuit training to failure (every set..with no rest between sets). Strictly weights, no cardio, actually the weights become the cardio. It's savage, but it puts your metabolism through the roof. After about a month of 4 days a week your lungs begin to acclimatize, and it's the best of both worlds. Muscle retention + cardiovascular development. Diet can actually loosen up a bit, but still keep it clean, and make sure to get the carbs back into your muscles within the golden hour after working out. Within that period your muscles just soak em all up...no storage. I feel like I've opened the Pandora's box of fat burning.

Couple of questions. This sounds very interesting to me. Do you work more than one area per session? How long should a workout last? Do you continue to increase the weights or just stay at one and go at it? How many reps? Anyone who knows, feel free to answer. I want to try this out tonight!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Couple of questions. This sounds very interesting to me. Do you work more than one area per session? How long should a workout last? Do you continue to increase the weights or just stay at one and go at it? How many reps? Anyone who knows, feel free to answer. I want to try this out tonight!
    I'm curious as well. Is this something that can be done on machines in a fairly crowded gym (Gold's)? The freeweight room is always crowded with huge guys and I'm a bit embarrassed by my lack of strength.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    well i started off on the right foot, weighed myself this morning and i gained a pound. :o hahaha. big send-off party tonight too! yikes! party thursday as well! Yikes! i don't think my results this week will be too great, but i am going to do my best...but sure...i'm still drinking tonight. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    December is a difficult time to lose weight with all the holiday eats that goes on. If you can get by without gaining anything during this time, you're doing awesome, IMO. Kudos to you folks going for it.

My body weight has been about the same for the last year, but my bench press is up to 245. I'm very proud of that.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    December is a difficult time to lose weight with all the holiday eats that goes on. If you can get by without gaining anything during this time, you're doing awesome, IMO. Kudos to you folks going for it.

My body weight has been about the same for the last year, but my bench press is up to 245. I'm very proud of that.

How many of cans of Natty equates to 245lbs? :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    How many of cans of Natty equates to 245lbs? :D

326.7 cans.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    I'll do it this time.

Not like September :(
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,818
    Here was my gym routine from yesterday, for anyone who wants personal trainer info but not the cost of one :D
    (this workout was created for me specifically and may not be suitable for you, so a word of caution!)

- 10 minutes warm up (any machine or cardio)

- Leg press, 15-18 reps, 3 sets (pushing down for 4 sec, hold 3 sec, up for 2 sec)
    - Crunches, 3 sets of 15
    - Lunges, 3 sets of 15 for each leg

- Seated Rows, 18 reps, 3 sets
    - Superman, 35 reps, 3 sets (lay on your tummy, lift legs up behind you and arms out in front and raised)
    - Lat Raises, 15 reps, hold for 3 secs, 3 sets (on tummy, elbows and wrists flat under you like you were holding skii poles, toes on floor like a push up, then lift up with abdomen & butt pulled tight)

Bicep Curls, 20 reps, 3 sets
    Resistance Ball Crunches, 20 reps, 3 sets
    Pull ups, 15 reps, 3 sets
    Push ups, 15 reps, 3 sets
    Kickbacks, 20 reps, 3 sets

10 minutes cool down (any machine or cardio)

This routine is mainly core and upper body. We vary this routine with another one based more on core & legs and combine it with kick boxing practice. I go 4 times a week for 1 1/2 hours.

In 2 weeks I dropped a jean's size & didn't gain weight over NY Thanksgiving, so I heart my trainer and my workout so far :)
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    Wow, that's a lot and helluva workout (espec when you add in the kickboxing). I hope you don't get burned out!
  • Options
    I'm in!

Aside from Christmas Day (which I'm sure will be filled with ridiculous amounts of delicious food made by my in-laws), I don't think I'll have too much trouble staying on track this month. Also, I just started a holiday retail job that will be keeping me VERY busy, at least through Jan 15.
  • Options
    Walking in the morning and in the evening can do wonders. Best of luck to everyone.
  • Options
    The problem with walking (for me) is that it's a snoozefest and takes to long in order to get enough benefit. I prefer a 30 minute run anyday, although running is far harder on your joints, etc.
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,818
    fanch75 wrote:
    Wow, that's a lot and helluva workout (espec when you add in the kickboxing). I hope you don't get burned out!

We had talked about that, as that was my concern too (especially starting off as a lazy fatass without any stamina!!).

I have an athletic background (18 years soccer) and my end goal, besides being more healthy, is to get back into soccer and join a league in the summer/fall of '08. So I'm one (was one, getting back into it) of those people who actually love going to the gym and working out.

There's something tremendously satisfying about getting out my stress/aggressions at the gym, let alone the endorphin rush or whatever and confidence that comes along with it. :D

We do definitely vary it up a bunch and he has me doing different things on my own time, like resistance pool workouts, taking classes, etc. I'll try to post my routines over the next week or so for variety :)

So you said in an earlier post you lift... are you a grunter? ;)
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    Fruit Fruit Fruit!!!!
    For years I never ever craved fruit.
    Last spring I made myself eat it for Breakfast and for snacks throughout the day, now I crave the hell out of it.
    I will help you loose weight really really fast.
    And if you crave some chocolate......I buy mini Dove Dark Chocolates from Acme. They are little and help the craving. Dark Chocolate also has a very low sugar count so its a lot better then milk Chocolate.
    This helped me loose the extra weight and keep it off.

A great boxing workout really helps too!
    I will only give that one out upon request.
    Later.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    The problem with walking (for me) is that it's a snoozefest and takes to long in order to get enough benefit. I prefer a 30 minute run anyday, although running is far harder on your joints, etc.

I just put the Ipod on in the morning and in the evening and off I go. 40 mins in the morning and 40 mins at nite. Of course you can always do more. I joined a kickball league. It's excerise and having fun at the same time. :D

Btw I saw a ad for ''Joint Juice''. Juice to help your sore joints. I just thought that was funny. hehe
  • Options
    I just put the Ipod on in the morning and in the evening and off I go. 40 mins in the morning and 40 mins at nite. Of course you can always do more. I joined a kickball league. It's excerise and having fun at the same time. :D

Btw I saw a ad for ''Joint Juice''. Juice to help your sore joints. I just thought that was funny. hehe

You run twice a day every day?
    I admire you.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    fanch75 wrote:

i love walking. i have been doing it pretty consistently for almost 2 years now. 3-4 times a week minimum.
    its not just about the exercise, its about being outside and enjoying the peace of the woods, the solitude.

i've lost close to 80 lbs. in the last two years, and walking is an excellent way for me to keep it off.

i also like that it doesn't cost anything, and i don't need any special equipment.
    just put your shoes on and walk out the door.

the thought of going to a gym or exercising in a group setting has never appealed to me.

i'd love to be able to run, but it is brutal on the joints.
    the results of just simply walking, albeit slow to start, have amazed me.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    THat's awesome. How long/far do you walk each time?
  • Options
    You run twice a day every day?
    I admire you.

Hell no, I just walk fast. LOL
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    THat's awesome. How long/far do you walk each time?

usually about 40 minutes or so. i honestly don't know how far.
    i do a lot of hills too. i think that helps. it really is exhilarating.

if i don't do it for a couple of days, i truly miss it.

i have a treadmill i use as a last resort, i find that to be
    mind numbingly boring. good to have for rainy days though.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    i love walking. i have been doing it pretty consistently for almost 2 years now. 3-4 times a week minimum.
    its not just about the exercise, its about being outside and enjoying the peace of the woods, the solitude.

i've lost close to 80 lbs. in the last two years, and walking is an excellent way for me to keep it off.

That's awesome! :) You must be so proud of yourself, and you should be! :)
  • Options
    Hell no, I just walk fast. LOL

I love walking too, and doing two walks a day is a really good way to get in shape! You can burn a lot of fat very quickly, with relatively "light" work, you know?
  • Options
    That's awesome! :) You must be so proud of yourself, and you should be! :)

thanks, yeah its a great feeling.

everyone knows how to lose weight.
    for me, the real challenge is keeping it off.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    for me, the real challenge is keeping it off.

Me too!
  • Options
    Ladies, don't forget weight training if you have the time & means. Resistance training tones all of your muscles and lifts things up....something that walking alone can't do! You don't have to be one of those manly-types, just a quick routine to hit arms, chest, back, etc.
  • Options
    Two days until first weigh-in. GF made homemade chocolate chip cookies last night (just like during September's weight loss challenge) so I will be hitting the gym extra hard over the next three days. Good luck to all!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    Ladies, don't forget weight training if you have the time & means. Resistance training tones all of your muscles and lifts things up....something that walking alone can't do! You don't have to be one of those manly-types, just a quick routine to hit arms, chest, back, etc.

agreed. walking has strengthened my back and arms somewhat, but admittedly my upper half needs work...lots of work.
    i have never been into lifting anything heavier than a natty light.

describe a quick routine.
    Nice shirt.