Options

December Weight Loss Challenge

Comments

• Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    Ladies, don't forget weight training if you have the time & means. Resistance training tones all of your muscles and lifts things up....something that walking alone can't do! You don't have to be one of those manly-types, just a quick routine to hit arms, chest, back, etc.

Yeah, that is so true. I always slack on that....but, when I'm actually keeping up with it, I actually see weight-loss results so much faster and just look better in general.
  • Options
    covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,330
    Thats awesome on the quitting smoking! Stay strong! I'll motivate you to lose it, as long as you never smoke again!!

You're too sweet!

I will never smoke again, I was having a little pity-party the other night. :)

No weighing-in tomorrow, I'm on the rag so I would have an unfair advantage next week. :)

I have started working on my bad habits.... does anyone else have a problem with skipping meals? That's my downfall... skipping meals and alcohol! Along with quitting smoking, my metabolism is shot... I REALLY need to re-vamp it.

If anyone has advice, I would REALLY appreciate it!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I was thinking of starting in January (of course). Will start tomorrow instead!! Better eating habits, easy on the sugar and "bad" carbs, plus back to the gym!! I have about 10 to 15lbs I want to lose. Also want a better body for the beach and basically just fit into all the clothes in my closet.

Anyone in Stamford CT that goes to Planet Fitness? Looking for a workout partner. Always makes it easier!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    geniegenie Posts: 2,222
    mookie9999 wrote:
    24 hour masturbation marathon

i prefer 24hour non-stop sex for christmas holidays ;)
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    BUMPITY BUMP. Good Morning/Afternoon all. Today's the first day of the challenge. Just a reminder to post your results (good and bad) starting today and continuing every Saturday of the month. I won't be able to weigh in until I hit the gym later tonight. Good Luck to all!!!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    is today our starting weight, or should we have been losing for today's results...

Haha. Can you tell I started this out on a good note? Either way, I know what I was last week and if I shall step on my scale in a few minutes.
  • Options
    Dec. 1 - 118 lbs
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • Options
    Okay, regardless, these are my results...

Last week I was 157..

This morning I am 155.5

so 1.5 lbs down. And if I am doing % weightloss, 155.5/157 is .99 of my body weight lost.

Humm...

* Underweight = <18.5
    * Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
    * Overweight = 25-29.9
    * Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

Just checked my BMI, I'm 23.6

I'm 5'8"

Okay those are my weekly results.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    agreed. walking has strengthened my back and arms somewhat, but admittedly my upper half needs work...lots of work.
    i have never been into lifting anything heavier than a natty light.

describe a quick routine.

Let me think up a 15-20 minute weightlifting routine for you....emphasis on muscle toning, hitting key areas w/ as little time as possible. A bonus to this is that since it'll be very time-efficient w/ supersets, you'll also get a cardio workout from this as well.

I'll post it here.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    Dec 1st- 6'3, 205 lbs.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    Well, I guess I have not taken my fat smash diet seriously enough.

146 :(
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    So far I'm a total failure. Looks like I'll be walking my ass off from now through next Saturday to catch up a bit.
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    OK, here's the secret, but you need will power...
    don't eat potatoes.
    don't eat bread.
    don't eat pasta, unless you intend to excercise afterwards.
    substitute with tuna fish, or any fish(not fried), tomatoes, meat, and salads.
    stop snacking on rubbish......don't deny it..we've all done it.
    substitute rubbish snacks with fruit.
    There's no magic formula, just change your habits....
    and maybe substitute beer for a glass of wine.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    Sorry, a little late checking in. No change for me.

6'2 198lbs. Hope to be down to 195 by next Saturday.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    What you need to do in order to lose the weight, and get back to your former, younger, slimmer self, is to gain back the muscle mass that you've slowly been losing since 21-ish years of age (plus gain a little extra muscle mass to compensate for an increasingly slower metabolism as you age). Without the added muscle mass, the fat storage comes back harder after the induced fast (diet) or temporary spike in metabolic activity is over (cardio).

Resistance training with weights for muscle gain is your only true salvation. The process shouldn't be abrupt or hardcore, so it's wise to adjust your goals (and expectations) accordingly. It can definitely be hardcore at first, however the more drastic the approach is, the more prone to failure it becomes (longterm).

Slow and steady wins the race. Losing 1-2 lbs a month is as good as it gets. 2lbs being in the very hard to sustain range (i.e. very many will find this far too drastic of a change, and quit). Look towards a monthly, quarterly and year long anniversary scenario, all the while setting goals for improvement at each way point. After the one year mark, decide where your 2 year anniversary is going to take you...etc.. and keep setting the monthly/quarterly goals to stay motivated and focused.

Keep in mind that practically every single cell in your body from bones to organs, etc is essentially not the same physically as 2 years prior, so it really is about fully transforming yourself (a complete metamorphosis if you will). I think it helps to look at it that way (and allow yourself the 2 year plan). This is not to say in two years from now I will make the effort. You need to strength train at least 2 - 3 days a week. The higher in days you go, the faster the results. Typically 5 days a week is the max, with 2 days of rest to avoid injury.

If you make small, gradual, yet persistent changes, (in both diet and exercise), a few months becomes 6 months... becomes a year. For most people after a year there's no looking back, as it's usually becomes a permanent lifestyle decision.

some articles for reference:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bbmaintrain.htm

Aside from feeling completely powerful and excellent in every regard, you'll have a pretty damn fine looking body as living proof.
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jamie uk wrote:
    OK, here's the secret, but you need will power...
    don't eat potatoes.
    don't eat bread.
    don't eat pasta, unless you intend to excercise afterwards.
    substitute with tuna fish, or any fish(not fried), tomatoes, meat, and salads.
    stop snacking on rubbish......don't deny it..we've all done it.
    substitute rubbish snacks with fruit.
    There's no magic formula, just change your habits....
    and maybe substitute beer for a glass of wine.

but i can still eat chocolate, right? :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i am in starting tomorrow i want to lose 5 pounds before i finish work 24/12/07
  • Options
    but i can still eat chocolate, right? :)
    occassionally, but not every day. I find that chocolate tates better if you only eat it occassionally. Once a week is ok.
  • Options
    prodacake wrote:
    i am in starting tomorrow i want to lose 5 pounds before i finish work 24/12/07
    Do what I said last page, and throw in some exercise, and you'll lose 5lbs by next weekend.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Sorry, a little late checking in. No change for me.

6'2 198lbs. Hope to be down to 195 by next Saturday.
    Do you want to hear something really funny???? I thought you were about 5 feet tall. lol Not that there is anything wrong with that..I thought I read that once. lol

Jamie is right. You will lose 5 lbs so fast if you cut all that junk out. And feel good. Lots of fresh produce and lean proteins, olive oil; all good stuff.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    For anyone who wants a good snack:

I buy those Dannon Light & Fit Yougurts. They are only 60 calories, and then I pop them in the freezer for a little while until it is a little frosty, but not totally frozen. It tastes like ice cream, and its good for you!
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    jamie uk wrote:
    occassionally, but not every day. I find that chocolate tates better if you only eat it occassionally. Once a week is ok.

you say no pasta, no potatoes, no bread but yes to meat. and now i can only eat chocolate occasionally. though i dont really see once a week as occasionally. sorry but thats not a diet i can live with. :) but then, you know im not all that concerned with my body. i dont eat red meat, i eat fruit and veges, i eat fish. i drink lemon and orange juice and copious amounts of water. i am also partial to a bottle or two of red wine. i dont drink dairy or soft drinks and only eat cheese occasionally. sure i could stand to lose some pounds, but im not particularly fussed about it cause my physical health is not my #1 priority.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    Ok, tomorrow my diet starts. It's time to get in the gym and lose these pounds and get back in shape! Good luck to all. We can do it.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    I forgot to weigh in! :o:D

I'll do it tomorrow. I'll probably keep it a secret, but I'll report on how much I lose each week! :)
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    adam42381 wrote:
    Ok, tomorrow my diet starts. It's time to get in the gym and lose these pounds and get back in shape! Good luck to all. We can do it.

me too!

funny thing is i spent november on a sort of binge of terrible foor...although i gained no weight i really don't feel healthy.

my goal is to lose 15-20 lbs by march.

woohoo...

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    drivingrldrivingrl Posts: 1,448
    Here we go. I'm 179, I hope to be 175 or 176 by the end of December. Should be interesting to see considering all the festivities coming up. Yikes.
    drivingrl: "Will I ever get to meet Gwen Stefani?"
    kevinbeetle: "Yes. When her career washes up and her and Gavin move to Galveston, you will meet her at Hot Topic shopping for a Japanese cheerleader outfit.

Next!"
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Do you want to hear something really funny???? I thought you were about 5 feet tall. lol Not that there is anything wrong with that..I thought I read that once. lol

Wherever would you have gotten that idea? Perhaps:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=4759753&postcount=108

Or the fact that I labeled this as my family home movies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_CAs3q7G48

Just for the record, I am 6'2 and this isn't really me like previously stated:

http://www.badmutsen.nl/archives/man-boobs.jpg

:D
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    For anyone who wants a good snack:

I buy those Dannon Light & Fit Yougurts. They are only 60 calories, and then I pop them in the freezer for a little while until it is a little frosty, but not totally frozen. It tastes like ice cream, and its good for you!
    i eat those but never frozen...that sounds like a great idea!
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:

Jamie is right. You will lose 5 lbs so fast if you cut all that junk out. And feel good. Lots of fresh produce and lean proteins, olive oil; all good stuff.

I'm not into the any diet that I consider to be extreme (ie cutting out all of "fill in the blank"). I've been eating healthier, cutting out the majority of junk, and work out more often. Seems to be working. But if it stops, there's always crack to go back to! :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Wherever would you have gotten that idea? Perhaps:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showpost.php?p=4759753&postcount=108

Or the fact that I labeled this as my family home movies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_CAs3q7G48

Just for the record, I am 6'2 and this isn't really me like previously stated:

http://www.badmutsen.nl/archives/man-boobs.jpg

:D
    You are right. lol That was where I must have gotten the idea. :)
    I wish all of you would stop posting that last picture....it is really disturbing.
    :eek:
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away