The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    is it sad that I already miss Hockey. I say we carry this thread through the summer. so what moves do the flyers make in the off season. right now, we have no goalie signed and we need some depth on D. considering their cap issues what do we do?
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    fife wrote:
    is it sad that I already miss Hockey. I say we carry this thread through the summer. so what moves do the flyers make in the off season. right now, we have no goalie signed and we need some depth on D. considering their cap issues what do we do?

edit...Boucher is signed for one more year

IMO, the needs go like this

Goalie
    Goalie
    Goalie

5th & 6th defense

forward depth.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    fife wrote:

edit...Boucher is signed for one more year

IMO, the needs go like this

Goalie
    Goalie
    Goalie

5th & 6th defense

forward depth.

so how do get a goalie. who do we trade and for who. The flyers are deep on forward so i think we can give up a player there but whom and to what team. I don't think Boucher is a goalie that i have confidence in winning a cup with. very good back-up but not a starter.
    http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team= ... load+Chart

from a forward perspective, they need to pick up 2 lower end forwards to roudn out the checking line.

on the D side, they need to add a couple of D men. problem here could be Coburn. he's a restricted FA and made $1.3 last year. i suspect he will want a nice bump. and then we still need anouther D man to roudn out the crew.

assume Colburn gets $3M and the rounding out of the forwards and D add anouther $2.5-$3, that leaves $2.8-3.3M for goaltending...unless of course they pull of a trade which would have to include Carter or Carle unless somebody agreed to waive a clause.

i'd guess we could Emery for a decent price, but how does the injury impact him going forward? on the unrestricted FA hunt, i don't see them top couple taking a pay cut unless they want to play on a team that is in win it now mode and then, how much do these mid 30 year old guys have left in the tank?

restricted wise...price? Halak? somebody else i've not heard of?

sigh....we need to find some goalie in the draft or one that nobody has heard of that can stand on his head, or at least stop the chumpy OT goals.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,362
    Trade Carter for a good D. Emery/Boucher/Leigton should be ok at goalie, I think.

Did anyone mention that goal was a really shitty way to lose. From the Dept. of Reduncancy Dept.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Trade Carter for a good D. Emery/Boucher/Leigton should be ok at goalie, I think.

Did anyone mention that goal was a really shitty way to lose. From the Dept. of Reduncancy Dept.

I would not trade carter for a good d. I would trade carter for a good goalie. yes the goal was bad. so Kane goes from beating up a cab driver to beating the flyers.
    i tell ya what.....

i'm going to have to hole up in my house for hte next month. i swear, if i see one my blackhawk fan, i'm going to go postal. :evil:

i'm gonna snap and then i'm gonna start snapping off them damn blackhawk car flags. :twisted:

i don't think they would get a top end goalie for carter. very rarely does a top 5 goalie even come on hte trade market unless they are very disgruntled.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i tell ya what.....

i'm going to have to hole up in my house for hte next month. i swear, if i see one my blackhawk fan, i'm going to go postal. :evil:

i'm gonna snap and then i'm gonna start snapping off them damn blackhawk car flags. :twisted:

i don't think they would get a top end goalie for carter. very rarely does a top 5 goalie even come on hte trade market unless they are very disgruntled.

I understand, living in Toronto you don't see alot of hawks fans so i can't understand what you are going threw. yes I agree about a top 5 goalie but i think you can get a very good goalie for a player like carter. I still won't be surprised if they try to get Price who i really like and can be a very good goalie. the questions is will Montreal trade him to an eastern conference team.
  • hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,927
    First thing on my list would be to move Carter. I'm so sick of his streaky and uninspired play. He just looks like he doesn't give a shit. Missing that wide open net last night was the icing on the cake. I will never forget that play. It's tattooed on my brain like the piece of shit Kane goal that the Mites on Ice could have stopped from going in.
    First thing on my list would be to move Carter. I'm so sick of his streaky and uninspired play. He just looks like he doesn't give a shit. Missing that wide open net last night was the icing on the cake. I will never forget that play. It's tattooed on my brain like the piece of shit Kane goal that the Mites on Ice could have stopped from going in.

if you look at that play again you will see that it was deflected by the hawks player. don't think he was healthy but i think we can get something back for him like a good goalie.
    fife wrote:

if you look at that play again you will see that it was deflected by the hawks player. don't think he was healthy but i think we can get something back for him like a good goalie.

I know there was a deflection but elite players make that goal happen. Brierre would have burried it. Giroux would have. I noticed that Gagne and Richards seemed to start struggling when Carter came back. I agree he wasn't totally healthy but if that was the case, Carcillo should have been in there.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    fife wrote:
    81 wrote:
    i tell ya what.....

I understand, living in Toronto you don't see alot of hawks fans so i can't understand what you are going threw. yes I agree about a top 5 goalie but i think you can get a very good goalie for a player like carter. I still won't be surprised if they try to get Price who i really like and can be a very good goalie. the questions is will Montreal trade him to an eastern conference team.

I agree about price...but then again, I was pissed when they turned down the carter for price deal at the trade deadline. A change of scenery would do price a lot of good. He'd be an upgrade in net and the flyers get rid of carter. win-win scenario for the flyers
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

I've never liked him. the bobby abreu of the flyers. decent numbers that don't mean shit. he pees sitting down
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    pjhawks wrote:
    On Haverford Ave once you take a right over the bridge on Eagle. Next to Wynnewood Lanes.

some of us here are old enough to remember when that place was called McSorley's - I'm in that area but my drunken bar days are over. of course I'd have to give the Fixer a good ripping on why Ryan Howard doesn't suck.

Flyers great run but lousy goaltending did them in again. Just an awful goal. got to give the Hawks credit though them made plays and made very few bad mistakes. Great series overall and a hell of a few months.

One of my first underage beers was when this place was McSorley's.
    The Fixer wrote:

I've never liked him. the bobby abreu of the flyers. decent numbers that don't mean shit. he pees sitting down

+1
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Anyone catch these comments from Mr.Healthy Scratch himself ?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2010 ... league.php

At least have the balls to go after Pronger in the series and not talk after the fact
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • KevinmanKevinman Posts: 1,909

At least have the balls to go after Pronger in the series and not talk after the fact

Pretty funny. I'd rather be a healthy scratch, than starting and never show up like Pronger. Better luck next year. That is unless the Hawks are back in the finals.
    I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side

06.27.98  Alpine Valley
    10.08.00  Alpine Valley
    09.23.02  Chicago
    06.18.03  Chicago | 06.21.03  Alpine Valley
    10.03.04  Grand Rapids
    10.05.05  Chicago
    05.16.06  Chicago | 05.17.06  Chicago | 06.29.06  Milwaukee
    08.02.07  Chicago | 08.05.07  Chicago
    08.23.09  Chicago | 08.24.09  Chicago
    05.07.10  Noblesville | 05.09.10  Cleveland
    09.03.11  Alpine Valley | 09.04.11  Alpine Valley
    07.19.13  Chicago
    10.17.14  Moline
    08.20.16  Chicago
    08.18.18  Chicago
    09.18.22  St. Louis
    09.05.23 Chicago
    Kevinman wrote:
    I'd rather be a healthy scratch, than starting

you lost me after this....bs....so you are telling me you would rather sit up in teh press box with the GM than be on the ice in a playoff game..... i would catagorize that as fraudulent.

and pronger did show. the whole team showed up...well except for the goalies....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    81 wrote:
    Kevinman wrote:

you lost me after this....bs....so you are telling me you would rather sit up in teh press box with the GM than be on the ice in a playoff game..... i would catagorize that as fraudulent.

and pronger did show. the whole team showed up...well except for the goalies....

Being a former goalie on that particular game winning shot it was just a simple drop right pad save. The Flyers goalies did carry them to the Cup Final series. I'd say it was team defeat more so than placing all the blame on a particular goalie and on a particular shot.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Kevinman wrote:

Being a former goalie on that particular game winning shot it was just a simple drop right pad save. The Flyers goalies did carry them to the Cup Final series. I'd say it was team defeat more so than placing all the blame on a particular goalie and on a particular shot.

Peace

i disagree. Team D and offense carreid them to the cup final. you rarely saw second chance opportunites. that's team D. leighton let in a ton of softies in the final, with the final goal being a prime example
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Yes they were other soft goals allowed in but it's still a team game and to me it's still a team defeat. Maybe it's the goalie mentality I once had of never letting a weak goal bother you, if so the the very next shot will be by you in a flash. Great run by the Flyers just the same.

cool.gif
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    81 wrote:
    Kevinman wrote:

Of course it is, dude. Like the many so-called die hard Hawks fans all across Chicago. But whatever, it's over.
    i'll be so glad when the month turns to july and all the bandwagon bums have long forgotten the season. sigh.... bring on 2010-2011 already
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Kevinman wrote:

Pretty funny. I'd rather be a healthy scratch, than starting and never show up like Pronger. Better luck next year. That is unless the Hawks are back in the finals.

:wtf:

Ok...yeah..umm

Well we knew CHI had a lot of bandwagon fans but this goes beyond that
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Would u trade Carter for Tomas Kaberle from toronto??? I think he'd be a huge addition to the defensive line. I've heard alot of Carter trade talks but most of them are for goalies.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • DURPDURP Posts: 2,180
    g under p wrote:
    81 wrote:
    Kevinman wrote:

Peace

I have to disagree with you G. Goaltending for both teams was a question mark coming into the finals. Phillys toughness and offensive grit is what carried them.
    My butt itches!
    Sila wrote:
    g under p wrote:
    81 wrote:

Peace

I have to disagree with you G. Goaltending for both teams was a question mark coming into the finals. Phillys toughness and offensive grit is what carried them.

Well you know what after some rethinking you all maybe right, i just don't like making a goalie the scapegoat on one shot in an elimination game. Even though it appeared to be a rather simple shot to stop. I have to give the Flyers credit for their true grit and fortitude to survive and push on through to get to the Finals.trink39.gif

Peace

Would u trade Carter for Tomas Kaberle from toronto??? I think he'd be a huge addition to the defensive line. I've heard alot of Carter trade talks but most of them are for goalies.

No, i wouldn't. I like kaberle but i don't think its a fair trade straight up and the leafs have nothing else to give. I would rather trade Carter for a young goalie so that the team can grow together.
    Kevinman wrote:

man now i am upset that i share the same name as this guy. don't worry kevinman, in 2 years maybe your team will start to give free tickets again and still have noone show up.
    g under p wrote:

Well you know what after some rethinking you all maybe right, i just don't like making a goalie the scapegoat on one shot in an elimination game. Even though it appeared to be a rather simple shot to stop. I have to give the Flyers credit for their true grit and fortitude to survive and push on through to get to the Finals.trink39.gif

Peace

it wasn't just the last goal, there were plenty of other weak ones during the series.

still got about 12 more wins than i thought they would this playoff year.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg