The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    that'd be an ok second place prize, although he might cost a bit more.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    What I wanna know is how you can trade for a guy who is going to be a free agent before getting a season out of the player. Tell your sport to get its shit together.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    What I wanna know is how you can trade for a guy who is going to be a free agent before getting a season out of the player. Tell your sport to get its shit together.
    Essentially it's a trade for that players bargaining rights and the upper hand to sign him before other teams get a shot at him.

Go eat some peanuts and cracker jacks, will you?
    Rygar wrote:
    Essentially it's a trade for that players bargaining rights and the upper hand to sign him before other teams get a shot at him.

Without consent of knowing whether he'll sign? They do that shit in other sports, but the trade doesn't go through until the player agrees to the contract. You poutine eatin' bastid.
    Rygar wrote:

Without consent of knowing whether he'll sign? They do that shit in other sports, but the trade doesn't go through until the player agrees to the contract. You poutine eatin' bastid.
    They often know beforehand, and a lot of the the time they'll make that a condition of the trade (i.e. trade a conditional draft pick for the player's rights, and if he doesn't sign it's a shitty draft pick and if he does it is a slightly less shitty draft pick).

Go have some more french fried pertaters.
    Rygar wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

They often know beforehand, and a lot of the the time they'll make that a condition of the trade (i.e. trade a conditional draft pick for the player's rights, and if he doesn't sign it's a shitty draft pick and if he does it is a slightly less shitty draft pick).

Hamhuis shipped to Pittsburgh for a 2011 3rd round draft pick. Ahhhh, sunrise, sunset.

Now go dip something in mayo!
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited June 2010

agreed. the winter sports are inferior. let's trade guys who don't have contracts...or guys with expiring contracts. stupid.

the winter sports are a bridge between football and baseball. and in jearlpams' case, soccer.. haha
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    so they traded parent for nabokov...and acquired a 3rd round pick.

pens lose gonchar and replace him with hamhuis. gotta think that's a win. carcillo/hartnell will have homer's back...hamhuis is a dead man

I don't love the moves...but if the dude didn't want to play here you can't make him. pussy is now public enemy number 3...after cindy and shrek.

parent was terrible in playoffs. I still think he's gonna be solid. sucks jeff carter and his frosted tips are still here.
    The Fixer wrote:

agreed. the winter sports are inferior. let's trade guys who don't have contracts...or guys with expiring contracts. stupid.

the winter sports are a bridge between football and baseball. and in jearlpams' case, soccer.. haha

VIVA FUTBOL!
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    The Fixer wrote:

pens lose gonchar and replace him with hamhuis. gotta think that's a win. carcillo/hartnell will have homer's back...hamhuis is a dead man

I don't love the moves...but if the dude didn't want to play here you can't make him. pussy is now public enemy number 3...after cindy and shrek.

parent was terrible in playoffs. I still think he's gonna be solid. sucks jeff carter and his frosted tips are still here.

Can you really blame Hamhuis (if he didn't want to sign there)? He's not going to get top pair minutes in Philly... Not sure what Homer was thinking bringing him in the first place... You trade a young roster player (even with a bit of a rough time, he's a 23 year old first round pick d-man), for negotiating rights for someone that doesn't even fit as a top need for the team.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    Rygar wrote:

Hamhuis shipped to Pittsburgh for a 2011 3rd round draft pick. Ahhhh, sunrise, sunset.

Like I told you, although unlike Philadelphia, Pittsburgh probably knew something before the trade ;)
    Now, isn't there an apple pie on ma's windowsill that you should be scheming to steal?
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The Fixer wrote:

Can you really blame Hamhuis (if he didn't want to sign there)? He's not going to get top pair minutes in Philly... Not sure what Homer was thinking bringing him in the first place... You trade a young roster player (even with a bit of a rough time, he's a 23 year old first round pick d-man), for negotiating rights for someone that doesn't even fit as a top need for the team.

I'm a little surprised Homer traded for the guy if the guy wants to test the market..but Parent was not going to get ice time here he's too soft and turnover prone

I'd rather see the Flyers go after Volchenkov if they free up the money

Last I heard on Hambone was he wants to go to the West Coast so I doubt he signs with the Pens
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Rygar wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

Like I told you, although unlike Philadelphia, Pittsburgh probably knew something before the trade ;)
    Now, isn't there an apple pie on ma's windowsill that you should be scheming to steal?

Wait, so Pittsburgh - in all their research - waited for the Flyers(or whoever it would be) to make the trade first, and then trade with them for his rights giving up more than the Flyers did? :?

Shouldn't you be spending your time writing all of this in English and French Canadian?
    Rygar wrote:

Wait, so Pittsburgh - in all their research - waited for the Flyers(or whoever it would be) to make the trade first, and then trade with them for his rights giving up more than the Flyers did? :?

Shouldn't you be spending your time writing all of this in English and French Canadian?
    They gave up less than the Flyers did - a draft pick, whereas the Flyers traded an NHL established player (regardless of you fans disliking him).

Shouldn't you be out on the porch shooting antique cans with your many guns?
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Rygar wrote:
    Rygar wrote:

Ray Shero was the Asst GM in Nashville when Hamhuis was drafted and broke into the league there... hopefully there is some sort of relationship there, and Shero thinks he has a pretty good shot at signing him. We'll see this week how it all works out...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    According to league sources, the Flyers have a verbal agreement in place with the San Jose Sharks to fork over a seventh-round pick next season if they can sign San Jose's Evgeni Nabokov before July 1, when he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Don Meehan, the agent who represents Nabokov, told CSNPhilly.com earlier that his client's no-trade clause is not an issue. San Jose obviously has given the Flyers permission to get a deal done and Meehan is willing to engage the Flyers ahead of July 1.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The Fixer wrote:

nashville's GM didn't give holmgren the right to negotiate a contract with hamhuis before the trade (another stupid NHL rule).

hamhuis is a bitch...so he would have played 20 minutes instead of 24 a game. whatever. Holmgren made same type of deal to get hartnell and timonen from nashville. and he signed both guys within 2 days.
    81 wrote:
    According to league sources, the Flyers have a verbal agreement in place with the San Jose Sharks to fork over a seventh-round pick next season if they can sign San Jose's Evgeni Nabokov before July 1, when he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Don Meehan, the agent who represents Nabokov, told CSNPhilly.com earlier that his client's no-trade clause is not an issue. San Jose obviously has given the Flyers permission to get a deal done and Meehan is willing to engage the Flyers ahead of July 1.

apparently this turd wants to be a free agent too. no one wants to play for the flyers. what's up with that?

I'm indifferent about the nabokov thing. beezer reincarnated. awesome
    i can understand why he wnats to be a free agent. i'm guessing i would do the same thing unless i really wanted to play for a team. it's going to be his last contract, max it out and then get the best team to match it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    i can understand why he wnats to be a free agent. i'm guessing i would do the same thing unless i really wanted to play for a team. it's going to be his last contract, max it out and then get the best team to match it.

Yeah..I dont think its as much as guys not wanting to play here but more of them wanting to test the market

With that said...I'm getting more convinced that Leighton will be our number 1 goalie

I know the offseason is far from over, so it's not fair to judge yet. this offseason has not gone too well so far though.

gave parent away for a 3rd rounder (weakening the defense and possibly helping the pens in the process)
    haven't acquired a goalie not named leighton
    carter still on the roster

hopefully holmgren has some tricks up his sleeve

EDIT -- now they're going after turco. ugh
    Leighton signed for 2 years.

I think amaro has been running the flyers for the last month. Just horrible moves have been made
    Just as I said earlier Leighton would be back

Hopefully they go after Volchenkov

there is still the trade deadline.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Just as I said earlier Leighton would be back

Hopefully they go after Volchenkov

yeah man, unfortunately you were right. can't say I'm surprised.

looks like dan ellis is the next target. I actually don't mind that...I'd prefer him to turco
    flyers traded a 2nd rounder for Meszaros. also signed coburn to a 2 year deal. D gonna be sick if they don't make any trades.

this pretty much caps out their spending. looks like holmgren is sticking with the pu pu platter in net. again
    I think they had about 9mil to work with 4m a year to Meszaros for the next 3-4yrs I heard ? Also heard he's coming off shoulder surgery :sigh:

I like keeping Coburn but Goaltending is still shaky

If they limit the chances I guess Leighton can be good

I think they had about 9mil to work with 4m a year to Meszaros for the next 3-4yrs I heard ? Also heard he's coming off shoulder surgery :sigh:

I like keeping Coburn but Goaltending is still shaky

If they limit the chances I guess Leighton can be good

I'm still holding out hope for a carter trade. If they move him for a goalie and winger this team is stacked
    Who the fuck is Meszaros?
    Who the fuck is Meszaros?

any time you can trade for a guy whose first name ends with a 'J' you have to do it.