Options

The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,284
    should have gotten the win against Montreal, least they got a point.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    This team is bad enough not to make the playoffs, but decent enough not to get a good draft pick. The worst!
    I cant stand this crap. They did this last year too and ended up going on a meaningless winning streak to close out the year. Screwed themselves out of a higher pick.
    Then again, this team picked Morin over M. Domi. It will be very interesting to see how that plays out. Domi looks like a potential stud forward and Morin is still a large "project".
    Hopefully Morin can develop into a top 4 D-Man.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    I was shocked they didn't take domi or zadorov. Especially zadorov. I wanted him to fall to the sabres and thought no way he fell past the flyers there
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I don't know if Morin is a large project. he did play well in the world jrs. Mayday, I was shocked that they didn't pick zadorov too. as for M. Domi, good player but i think we have to realize that we need good home grown dman. also, am I am wrong that domi is playing center which the flyers have a lot of.
  • Options
    fife said:

I don't know if Morin is a large project. he did play well in the world jrs. Mayday, I was shocked that they didn't pick zadorov too. as for M. Domi, good player but i think we have to realize that we need good home grown dman. also, am I am wrong that domi is playing center which the flyers have a lot of.

Thats the only reason they most likely picked him, the organizations need for in-house defensemen. Let's be honest, they were also hoping for Pronger 2.0, but we know the odds of him being that good are pretty slim.
  • Options
    Mayday, what do you think about that Blockbuster Wpg trade?????
  • Options

Mayday, what do you think about that Blockbuster Wpg trade?????

I like it based on the sabres getting the best player in the deal. Bogosian too is good.

Myers was going to get traded and never got near the level and consistency of his rookie year. Stafford is a Ufa and gone. Arma hasn't been tearing up the ahl but he is still a prospect and former 1st rounder. Brendan lemieux hurts... as does the late 1st rounder.

Gave up a lot.... and if Kane busts and can't get it together it's a disaster.

I think it's a good trade for both sides.
  • Options

fife said:

Thats the only reason they most likely picked him, the organizations need for in-house defensemen. Let's be honest, they were also hoping for Pronger 2.0, but we know the odds of him being that good are pretty slim.
    if you look at most winning teams, they build from the draft. the flyers have always been a free agent team.

I don't think they were looking for a Pronger 2.0 cause pronger is a HOFer and one of the best dman to ever play the game. For me Morin is a solid dman so far but has many things to improve such as his speed but i like his shot and I like from what I have seen his hockey IQ. in 5 years, the flyer defense willbe one of the best in the NHl.
  • Options
    IMO, the Flyers will be lucky if one of Morin, Ghost or Haag becomes a solid D-man. Thats just how it goes. Nothing is a given. Ghost already has a significant injury under his belt.
    My Pronger comment is based on them watching him go down right in front of their eyes. No doubt about it that they were looking for a D-man built in the same mold as him.
  • Options
    Yeah, Buff got a 1st Line player and a Top pair D-man and only gave up their last first round pick and some prospects. Myers was overrated nd is still nothing but potential.
    Kanes attitude is gonna be the biggest question mark. But Eichel or McDavid playing alongside of him is already a pretty damn good start.
  • Options
    So the flyers are 5 points behind Boston for 8. I don't know how I feel about this.

I rather see them get a good draft pick for the long run but seeing them in the playoffs would be fun too.

• Options
    fife said:

So the flyers are 5 points behind Boston for 8. I don't know how I feel about this.

I rather see them get a good draft pick for the long run but seeing them in the playoffs would be fun too.

yeah it's kinda a double edge sword situation there. I think i'd rather see them in the playoffs although they wouldn't get too far.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options

IMO, the Flyers will be lucky if one of Morin, Ghost or Haag becomes a solid D-man. Thats just how it goes. Nothing is a given. Ghost already has a significant injury under his belt.
    My Pronger comment is based on them watching him go down right in front of their eyes. No doubt about it that they were looking for a D-man built in the same mold as him.

to be honest, the dman i like best on the flyers is Travis Sanheim. I have seen some games and I like how he makes decisions. I know he is only 18 years old but he might be the best prospect the flyers have.

anyway, bad game last night. going to see the Flyers play Toronto next Thursday.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

IMO, the Flyers will be lucky if one of Morin, Ghost or Haag becomes a solid D-man. Thats just how it goes. Nothing is a given. Ghost already has a significant injury under his belt..

sanheim could end up being the best of all of their young defensemen
  • Options
    fife said:

They are not a good team. Start dumping guys via trade...and start dumping points in the standings.

I know it is a long shot to move his contract, but I would have loved to see them showcase lecavalier on one of the top two lines leading up to the deadline. Oh well.

Hopefully hextall has some good news for us over the next 36 hours (or whatever it is)
  • Options
    this is where the Sabres were for too long before saying "f-it" and selling off aging assets and converting them into picks and prospects. Looks good now, but its still no guarantee.

In Sabres-Land, the well known phrase of frustration is "another heroic run for 9th".

LaCavalier will be tough to impossible to move. 3 more years at $4.5. Also a no movement contract so that may prevent a buyout (which would still be $1.5075 against the cap for 6 years... or to send him to the AHL to save $1 Million off the cap hit of $4.5 for the next 3. He is currently on an 18 game goal drought, who in their right mind would trade for him and pick up that salary issue for 3 more years with the Canadian Dollar causing cap concerns.... LaCavalier would also need to approve the trade.

The Flyers could pick up salary I guess... 50% so they would essentially have $2.25 in dead money for 3 years, but it wouldnt matter if they are doing a true rebuild.

This new CBA is pretty unforgiving
  • Options
    I agree about Sanheim. He's an great skater and seems calm and poised with the puck.
    It just shows you how bad the NHL is that a team like the Flyers are still in a possible playoff spot. Its still a pretty good long shot though and last nights loss to CLB hurt big time.
    This team stinks. The Defense is a mess although they did just resign Schultz to a 2yr/$4.5 M contract.
    You have Timonen now attempting to come back, I get that he wants to end his career on the ice, but I doubt he gets dealt to anther tam which would hep the Flyers out.. By the time he gets back the trade deadline will most likely be over.
    They have a surplus of D-Men now, one or two need to go, and I would love for those guys to be Coburn and Grossman.
  • Options

I agree about Sanheim. He's an great skater and seems calm and poised with the puck.
    It just shows you how bad the NHL is that a team like the Flyers are still in a possible playoff spot. Its still a pretty good long shot though and last nights loss to CLB hurt big time.
    This team stinks. The Defense is a mess although they did just resign Schultz to a 2yr/$4.5 M contract.
    You have Timonen now attempting to come back, I get that he wants to end his career on the ice, but I doubt he gets dealt to anther tam which would hep the Flyers out.. By the time he gets back the trade deadline will most likely be over.
    They have a surplus of D-Men now, one or two need to go, and I would love for those guys to be Coburn and Grossman.

I don't mind the Schultz deal. he has been pretty good this year. I don't see the point in kimmo being traded as we are not going to get anything. he already said that he is done after this season.

I hope that the flyers trade Coburn and grossman but i think if that doesn't happen it means that the flyers are not going to bring up many or any young dman next year.

• Options

ideally macdonald would be one of the dmen to go but like lecavalier, no one is touching that contract. and grossman for sure needs to go...he sucks at everything. if a shot doen't hit him in the leg (which happens often because he has zero mobility), he's worthless. personally I hope they trade all of their dmen...they all stink.

frustrating year for sure, but at least hextall is stabalizing things. holmgren would have already traded 5 future draft picks for mike fisher in a desperate attempt to grab that 8 seed.
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    This game may put me to sleep
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options

This game may put me to sleep

i forgot they were playing. Nice to see Eric Desjardanis inducted into the Flyers HOF though.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    LOL at Couturier.
    This team just got beat by a team that is intentionally trying to lose. Just think about that.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Any correlation between the recent point streak and Rinaldo being suspended?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I copied the entire article because the website has this loud, annoying, autoplaying video.

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/02/wheres_the_anger_flyers_act_like_pathetic_sabres_a.html

PHILADELPHIA — Here are some hard, cold facts about the 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres:

• They're last in the NHL in points.

• Their 1.74 goals per game is the worst in the league and the lowest since World War II.

• Their 3.36 goals allowed per game is the highest in the league.

• They're worst in the league on the power play and in killing penalties.

• They're worst in the league in faceoff percentage.

• They entered Thursday night's game against the Flyers 2-18-1 in their last 19.

Fighting for their playoff lives, the Flyers found a way to lose to this pathetic team, falling 3-2 in a shootout on Eric Desjardins Hall of Fame night at Wells Fargo Center.

Worse than settling for one point against a team that is 30th among 30 NHL teams in every major category was how some of the Flyers tried to spin this off.

"They've been playing pretty good hockey," Flyers captain Claude Giroux said. "All their games are one goal and they play a pretty tight game."

Playing good hockey?!!!

Ah, well, they are on a roll now with three wins in 22 games since Dec. 29.

And as for playing all one-goal games, they're recent massive slide has included losses by the following scores: 5-2, 5-1, 6-1, 4-1, 5-2, 7-0, 4-1, 5-2 and 3-0.

Here's more from Giroux:

"We did a lot of good things out there, and when they had chances it was the back of our net."

A lot of good things? If he says so.

Giroux wasn't alone in building up the Sabres.

"It's Buffalo ... they got players over there," defenseman Braydon Coburn said. "They got professional players over there."

There is a difference between professional players and good professional players, right?

Flyers coach Craig Berube was asked if blowing points against a team as bad as Buffalo is unacceptable.

"Unacceptable? No," he answered. "They beat Detroit the other day, didn't they?"

Nope.

They did win in Montreal on Feb. 3 ... to end a 14-game losing streak. And until Thursday, they had two wins in the 2015 calendar year.

'I know, but they fired a lot of lot of shots," Berube said. "Unacceptable? I think our team competed."

Happy with the effort, but not the result?

"Right," said Berube, who was so happy with the effort that he changed three of his four forward lines in the third period.

But if he's happy with the effort in a loss to the lowly Sabres, then maybe this is a hit-you-in-the-face sign that the Flyers, now six points out of a playoff spot with 24 to play, aren't good enough.

"Anybody can lose to anybody," Berube said. "I don't know what you want me to say. Anybody can lose to anybody."

The Flyers proved it by losing to Buffalo, and now their playoff chase gets harder with Nashville and Washington on tap for home games this weekend. Nashville, which is in town for a Saturday matinee, has the league's best record. Washington, which plays the Flyers on Sunday afternoon, is tied for fourth in the Eastern Conference and has won three in a row.

"It's going to be a good test to see where we're standing," Giroux said. "We're playing good hockey. We're playing as a team. Every game's tight this time of the year. We know that."

• Options
    This part is great....

Flyers coach Craig Berube was asked if blowing points against a team as bad as Buffalo is unacceptable.

"Unacceptable? No," he answered. "They beat Detroit the other day, didn't they?"

Nope.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,309
    heard an unbelievable stat the other night. Claude Giroux has not scored an 5 on 5 even strength goal in a home game since last march. gotta be close to 40 games. how the fuck is that possible?
  • Options
    Berube is over his head. The personnel stinks.
    And for the love of god, please dont let me see them rush Mason back from getting both his meniscus removed in order to play 20 meaningless games at the tail end of a failing season. This franchise just loves running players into the ground.
  • Options

Berube is over his head. The personnel stinks.
    And for the love of god, please dont let me see them rush Mason back from getting both his meniscus removed in order to play 20 meaningless games at the tail end of a failing season. This franchise just loves running players into the ground.

Agree 100% on Mason
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• Options
    I see Berube has changed the lines today.
    LeCavalier is again in the press box. Combine that with Macdonald being a regular there of late,that is $9.5M between two Holmgren signings that have been healthy scratches. Completely unacceptable.
  • Options
    If Zepp plays well today against the Preds, just let him play the season out. I need more Zepp
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead