The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    The Fixer wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I don't think it has much to do with the style of play. some of the vets they have brought in just aren't good...fedotenko, knuble, foster, gervais, etc

briere had a nice run here (esp in playoffs). he's done though. I don't think he has won a battle along the boards all season. They gotta take advantage of the amnesty clause and get rid of him and his contract (including his no trade clause) while they can.

fyi: check who is currently 2nd in the league in goals with 15, and 1st in game winning goals.

ok, let me make this as easy as possible for you since you have such a difficult time understanding things...

carter has 17 points...voracek/couturier have 34 points. which is better?

one of these days you will realize that there is more to sports than hitting HRs or scoring goals

there is more...but those are the most important things. and game winning goals are pretty important aren't they? carter has scored the game winning goal in 50% of the Kings wins this year. tell me that's not important or impressive?

assists in hockey are just a horrible stat to use for any evaluation as probably half of all assists barely have anything to do with the goal scored. and not only that but 2nd assists on a goal should count less than the 1st assist. for a guy who loves stats i would think you would realize that a lot of assists in hockey are really bogus.

couturier has sucked this year and voracek has been great since moved to giroux's line. as hartnell proved last year playing with giroux can inflate a guy's stats though (just like hitting behind ryan howard does :D )
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    GW goals are a stupid stat. Guy scores in first period and his team wins 1-0, he gets GW goal. Big deal

Just try looking at the bigger picture. Carter is a turd. Defines underachiever...

You love one-dimensional players. I'm surprised that you don't like enforcers
    The Fixer wrote:
    GW goals are a stupid stat. Guy scores in first period and his team wins 1-0, he gets GW goal. Big deal

Just try looking at the bigger picture. Carter is a turd. Defines underachiever...

You love one-dimensional players. I'm surprised that you don't like enforcers

why would i like enforcers? they bring no value to scoring...and the most important thing in sports is scoring. if someone is going to be one-dimensional best to be a one-dimensional scorer. i've never understood the degree that people put down one-dimesional offensive players in all sports. like being a scorer is somehow a bad thing.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Blues scouts have been seen at the last couple of Flyers games.
    Apparently they are interested in Briere or Talbot.

Briere is not going anywhere and hopefully they don't trade Talbot cause he is a good players and has won a cup.

As for Lavy, I don't see them getting rid of him. I still think they make the playoffs.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    Damn I miss Pronger. I bet the Flyers do as well. F Pittsburgh.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    JK_Livin wrote:
    F Pittsburgh.

agree
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I dont get CSN. What is Pronger saying in the Press Conference?
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.

I don't get it either (only bad thing about Directv)...but scrolling thru twitter it looked as if he was promoting his brothers book.

guess he took some questions and said basically, his head still hurts and has lost some vision.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

I don't get it either (only bad thing about Directv)...but scrolling thru twitter it looked as if he was promoting his brothers book.

guess he took some questions and said basically, his head still hurts and has lost some vision.
    Hahah about the book. I was nervous that he was going to announce his retirement or something.
    It's a damn shame his career ended like that and this city got jipped out of seeing him play for another 3-4 years.

I didn't hear anything about a book. It was his 1st pc since the injury 2011. He basically talked about what he's gone through the past 1-2 years and his current state. He said he's not retiring.
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    It'd be nice if Briere finally came back from the lockout.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:

I didn't hear anything about a book. It was his 1st pc since the injury 2011. He basically talked about what he's gone through the past 1-2 years and his current state. He said he's not retiring.

My apologies, scrolled thru Sam Carchidi's tweets. He said, before the PC, that Pronger was helping to promote the book.

I read that, initially, as Pronger saying this at the PC
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

• chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114

The point of the presser was for Pronger to finally talk to the Philly media for the first time since the injury. He recently did an interview with SportsNet in Canada (aired last night) and basically hinted at his retirement. I'm sure the Flyers panicked and realized that he can't retire or even hint at it while on LTIR, so they drag him out, answer a few questions for the Philly media (who have been clamoring to talk to him forever now) and save the embarrassment of the league saying that Pronger is for all intents and purposes retired and he now counts fully against the cap for the remainder of his contract.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    chromiam wrote:

The point of the presser was for Pronger to finally talk to the Philly media for the first time since the injury. He recently did an interview with SportsNet in Canada (aired last night) and basically hinted at his retirement. I'm sure the Flyers panicked and realized that he can't retire or even hint at it while on LTIR, so they drag him out, answer a few questions for the Philly media (who have been clamoring to talk to him forever now) and save the embarrassment of the league saying that Pronger is for all intents and purposes retired and he now counts fully against the cap for the remainder of his contract.
    Makes sense. I wouldnt want to talk to the Flyers beat writers either. The majority of them are complete idiots.
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    The SportsNet interview is scary. Pronger talks about losing his peripheral vision and his kids now sneaking up and scaring him. Plus not being able to physically do anything that elevates his heartrate.

Link to video: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/chri ... ad-pt-1-3/
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    Wow, Read and Grossmann playing tonight.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Hope there not rushing Read back to soon,I read he still feels pain.
    Go Birds!!!!
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Hope there not rushing Read back to soon,I read he still feels pain.
    The Flyers are notorious for rushing guys back way too soon. This could get ugly.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    PJHAWK

was it you that i talked about jeff "the orange cone" carter? i couldnt have been more wrong, something changed with that guy, maybe an ex player got to him bec he doing things this year he never did...like going to the net, screening the goalie, battling along the boards.
    i take SOME of what i said back....he isnt as big of a stiff now than he was on the flyers. i still wouldnt want him on my team.

i wont refer to him as the orange cone...now i call him a "cartchards twin"
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Can he play?

“I don’t know, I don’t know,” Read said, adding that the decision would be up to general manager Paul Holmgren and coach Peter Laviolette.

Read admitted he still has significant pain in his ribs when shooting slap shots or even a wrist shot
    Go Birds!!!!
    JC29856 wrote:
    PJHAWK

was it you that i talked about jeff "the orange cone" carter? i couldnt have been more wrong, something changed with that guy, maybe an ex player got to him bec he doing things this year he never did...like going to the net, screening the goalie, battling along the boards.
    i take SOME of what i said back....he isnt as big of a stiff now than he was on the flyers. i still wouldnt want him on my team.

i wont refer to him as the orange cone...now i call him a "cartchards twin"

yes that was me. it's all good. i've never thought carter was a great player, but i think there is a lot more value in a guy who can average 30 goals in the NHL over a 5+ season career than what credit carter is given here in Philly. you have to do something right to be able to score at that rate for that long in the NHL. and he's scoring at an even higher rate this year so far this year.
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,989
    chromiam wrote:
    The SportsNet interview is scary. Pronger talks about losing his peripheral vision and his kids now sneaking up and scaring him. Plus not being able to physically do anything that elevates his heartrate.

I never liked Pronger much, and as a Pens fan I obviously despised him more when he went to Philly. But watching this video just hurt. I like to talk as much shit to you guys as you do to us, but it's all in fun. First time I've ever seen Pronger off the ice and he seems like a cool, laid-back dude. I probably said shit like "good, I hope he never comes back," but that was ignorant and I don't wish these kinds of injuries on anyone.

Good thing he has a PGH doctor though, right? Kidding...really hoping he gets back to 100%.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023; MSG 1 2024
    chromiam wrote:

really scary stuff. couldn't imagine having to live like that day after day. not a real high quality of living. along with the physical issues it has to be mentally draining.
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,640
    Good luck tonight

p-450541-sidney-crosby-pittsburgh-penguins-2009-holding-stanley-cup-8x10-photo-cotg-8nhl-111310-19.jpg
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023 • Baltimore 2024

Thats the kind of loss that sinks a season. Brutal.

Time to start dealing some Vets before the deadline.
    a punch in the gut for sure.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

It;s time to be realistic. The playoffs are a long shot. They have played more games than everyone else.
    The signing of an aging Timonen at $6M next year looks like a stupid move right now.
    Briere is still stealing money(-3 tonight)

They have to get picks/whatever at the deadline for some of these guys.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,798
    :fp: that was not fun to watch after the first period :(
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    I resigned myself to the fact that this team is average. They have competitive forwards but they can't maintain any consistency with this group of D men and Bryz. Any D has to be perfect in front of him. He never steals a game.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    i usually like Lavy but I thought pulling Bryz was a bad move last night.