The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    polaris_x wrote:
    how's luke schenn working out for you guys!? ... jvr is working out pretty good for us so far ...

it's pretty crazy how different your team is with Pronger and without ...

Scale of 1-10 I'd give L Schenn a 7. He's great in his own zone...until he gets the puck :lol: . Pretty sure he leads the league in hits. His outlet passes are awful though.

I wish JVR the best. He hasn't been with toronto long enough to get his inevitable injury yet. Should be any time now.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    The Fixer wrote:
    Scale of 1-10 I'd give L Schenn a 7. He's great in his own zone...until he gets the puck :lol: . Pretty sure he leads the league in hits. His outlet passes are awful though.

I wish JVR the best. He hasn't been with toronto long enough to get his inevitable injury yet. Should be any time now.

yeah ... D men are critical and he's still young ... his skating ability is what concerns me most ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah ... D men are critical and he's still young ... his skating ability is what concerns me most ...

I do like him. He's a solid top 4 dman. Def could improve his skating, puck handling, and passing. Don't think he'll ever be solid offensively, but that's ok for what kind of player he is.

I think the trade will work out well for both teams.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327

maybe he can use the force to stop those bad goals.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,428
    The Fixer wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I do like him. He's a solid top 4 dman. Def could improve his skating, puck handling, and passing. Don't think he'll ever be solid offensively, but that's ok for what kind of player he is.

I think the trade will work out well for both teams.

i agree scheen is solid even with having to give up JVR. Long term be interesting to see if JVR can handle the pressure of playing in Toronto. if they are still around 7th or 8th in the conference near playoff time the pressure up there will be pretty large.

breire plays out the year but got to think for sure they will use the amnesty on his contract.

and don't look now but your favorite player currently leads in the league in game winning goals and is tied for 7th in total goals as of 2/26. hint: he is the same guy who score 2 game winners in the stanley cup finals last year ;)
    pjhawks wrote:
    and don't look now but your favorite player currently leads in the league in game winning goals and is tied for 7th in total goals as of 2/26. hint: he is the same guy who score 2 game winners in the stanley cup finals last year ;)

:lol::lol:

don't forget about the guy's hair ... hahaha

yeah ... playing in toronto is pretty tough ... but if this team can make the playoffs - i'm pretty sure they are gonna treat it like a free roll ... got nothing to lose ... and the NHL is pretty much the only major sport where anything can truly happen in the playoffs ... just gotta get in ...
    polaris_x wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

:lol::lol:

don't forget about the guy's hair ... hahaha

yeah ... playing in toronto is pretty tough ... but if this team can make the playoffs - i'm pretty sure they are gonna treat it like a free roll ... got nothing to lose ... and the NHL is pretty much the only major sport where anything can truly happen in the playoffs ... just gotta get in ...

according to pjhawks all you have to do is score goals and you are great. he uses the same flawed logic with MLB players who hit a lot (well, it's more like used to hit a lot) of HRs.

Ask him about carter's playoff performance when he played in philly
    The Fixer wrote:
    according to pjhawks all you have to do is score goals and you are great. he uses the same flawed logic with MLB players who hit a lot (well, it's more like used to hit a lot) of HRs.

Ask him about carter's playoff performance when he played in philly

i'm just here for the :corn: aspect ... please share your feelings openly ... :lol:
    this is all I have to say (I'm not even going to mention MA Fleury stoning him a billion times in playoffs alone)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_803biLoDg

EDIT: best part of this clip is the color commentators' quotes

'carter snakebitten as his only goal is an empty netter'

'nightmarish for jeff carter'

he will always be a steaming pile of turds
    The Fixer wrote:
    this is all I have to say (I'm not even going to mention MA Fleury stoning him a billion times in playoffs alone)

typical when you lose on facts just go with insults. Stanley Cup champ, 2 game winners in the finals, top 10 in goal scoring so far this season and 1st in game winning goals at the moment...but focus on one play from 4 years ago. loser. can you bring up the fight in the pens series again too??? :roll:
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

typical when you lose on facts just go with insults. Stanley Cup champ, 2 game winners in the finals, top 10 in goal scoring so far this season and 1st in game winning goals at the moment...but focus on one play from 4 years ago. loser. can you bring up the fight in the pens series again too??? :roll:

are you related to jeff carter?

name one playoff game when jeff carter was best player on the ice for the flyers.

you calling me a loser is funny
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Where's 81, you see this??? This thread doesn't need us going at it 81! :lol: :corn:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    badbrains wrote:
    Where's 81, you see this??? This thread doesn't need us going at it 81! :lol: :corn:

been going on for years. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    badbrains wrote:

just sit back and enjoy ... :lol::lol:
    81 wrote:
    badbrains wrote:

seriously. some people continue to bring it up for unbeknownst reasons :roll:
    Fuck Jeff Carter.
    LOL, Welcome back Gagne.
    4th Rd pick going to LA

This baffles me. A 4th isnt much..but I guess Holmgren believes this to be a playoff team. IDK.
    The Fixer wrote:
    81 wrote:
    badbrains wrote:

FACTS show that the franchise was better off when carter and richards were here. this season and last year weren't as good as the prior seasons with those guys. i hated richards personally as much as you hate carter probably, but the facts are the facts.

for a franchise that hasn't won a Cup in 37 years they blew up a team that 2 years prior was inthe stanley cup finals and the following year was 2nd in the Conference in the regular season. haven't approached either of those since.

if/when this team doesn't make the playoffs will you acknowledge that blowing up the franchise 2 summers ago MIGHT not have been the right move?
    Somebody must be getting moved somewhere else.
    Gagne makes 3.5M this year...UFA next year.
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

FACTS show that the franchise was better off when carter and richards were here. this season and last year weren't as good as the prior seasons with those guys. i hated richards personally as much as you hate carter probably, but the facts are the facts.

for a franchise that hasn't won a Cup in 37 years they blew up a team that 2 years prior was inthe stanley cup finals and the following year was 2nd in the Conference in the regular season. haven't approached either of those since.

if/when this team doesn't make the playoffs will you acknowledge that blowing up the franchise 2 summers ago MIGHT not have been the right move?

You are looking at things incorrectly. The carter/richards trades were not made as an immediate fix. they were a way to change the entire course of the franchise. To grade the moves as a win/loss after just over a year is shortsighted. You have to see how the young guys perform, which may take 5+ years to make a determination on whether or not the trades were good moves or not.

I hated the richards trade when it was made, but I understood why it was done (in conjunction with the carter trade). Neither richards or carter was a model of good health while they were here. And both had a propensity to party, so I believe mgmt thought they could have been doing more to take care of themselves.

I don't know how any flyer fan can hate richards.

The cup run was a bit of a fluke. They snuck into the playoffs on the last day of the season (ironically in a PK shootout), then got home ice advantage in the ECF. Home ice is not an advantage in the NHL, but it just shows how lucky the flyers got in their road to the cup that year.

Try looking at things objectively rather than subjectively. It's gonna take more than one and a quarter seasons to grade the trades. I like the direction this franchise is headed in...whether they make playoffs this year or not
    how can any flyer fan hate this??? mind boggling. dude was an animal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs_3PeQQUxc
    The Fixer wrote:
    You are looking at things incorrectly. The carter/richards trades were not made as an immediate fix. they were a way to change the entire course of the franchise. To grade the moves as a win/loss after just over a year is shortsighted. You have to see how the young guys perform, which may take 5+ years to make a determination on whether or not the trades were good moves or not.

I hated the richards trade when it was made, but I understood why it was done (in conjunction with the carter trade). Neither richards or carter was a model of good health while they were here. And both had a propensity to party, so I believe mgmt thought they could have been doing more to take care of themselves.

The cup run was a bit of a fluke. They snuck into the playoffs on the last day of the season (ironically in a PK shootout), then got home ice advantage in the ECF. Home ice is not an advantage in the NHL, but it just shows how lucky the flyers got in their road to the cup that year.

Try looking at things objectively rather than subjectively. It's gonna take more than one and a quarter seasons to grade the trades. I like the direction this franchise is headed in...whether they make playoffs this year or not

objectively - they have only one top level NHL forward in giroux, two promising young forwards in schenn and read, a bunch of good solid but not great veteran forwards, a solid but aging defense core whose best player has one more year tops, and a nut job goalie who you might have to amnesty just for the contract relief. If Brayden Schenn doesn't turn into a top 10-15 NHL forward in the next 2 years (this season plus the following 2) then what do you have? with the salary cap going down they most likely won't be able to just outspend teams to replace their veterans either.

i see a mostly veteran team that is going to be right on the line for not making the playoffs this year...is the future really bright with how this roster is going to look in a year or two?
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

objectively - they have only one top level NHL forward in giroux, two promising young forwards in schenn and read, a bunch of good solid but not great veteran forwards, a solid but aging defense core whose best player has one more year tops, and a nut job goalie who you might have to amnesty just for the contract relief. If Brayden Schenn doesn't turn into a top 10-15 NHL forward in the next 2 years (this season plus the following 2) then what do you have? with the salary cap going down they most likely won't be able to just outspend teams to replace their veterans either.

i see a mostly veteran team that is going to be right on the line for not making the playoffs this year...is the future really bright with how this roster is going to look in a year or two?

if you don't think couturier, voracek (reminds me of a young gagne), and simmonds are potentially elite...well, I don't know what to tell you. other than you should watch more games.

I can't see into the future, so I don't know what the roster will look like in two years. However, I do see the potential for a core group that can make multiple cup runs with guys like giroux, simmonds, voracek, schenn, couturier, read, cousins, and laughton. How quickly that can happen remains to be seen...but I do like the way this team is going. Right now they're the only team in philly worth being optimistic about.
    LOL, Welcome back Gagne.
    4th Rd pick going to LA

This baffles me. A 4th isnt much..but I guess Holmgren believes this to be a playoff team. IDK.

positive influence on the young forwards. gagne has always been a responsible two-way forward. right now voracek and couturier are the only ones who play defense.

plus it could mean the end of knuble...which would be fantastic
    The Fixer wrote:
    if you don't think couturier, voracek (reminds me of a young gagne), and simmonds are potentially elite...well, I don't know what to tell you. other than you should watch more games.

I can't see into the future, so I don't know what the roster will look like in two years. However, I do see the potential for a core group that can make multiple cup runs with guys like giroux, simmonds, voracek, schenn, couturier, read, cousins, and laughton. How quickly that can happen remains to be seen...but I do like the way this team is going. Right now they're the only team in philly worth being optimistic about.

i don't see any of those 3 being perennial all-stars (maybe couturier...maybe) so i wouldn't consider them possibly elite. maybe our definitions of elite are different?

with the cap changing going to be much harder to replace a guy like timmonen in a year or two...and they will have a huge decision to make on Bryz. can you afford to keep him with the cap hit even with zero alternatives at the moment?
    i would throw in that playoff success for the flyers has been dictated by 2 things of which no forward is involved ... that is goaltending and chris pronger ... if pronger was healthy either of the last 2 playoff runs ... you're likely to have a parade ...
    pjhawks wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

i don't see any of those 3 being perennial all-stars (maybe couturier...maybe) so i wouldn't consider them possibly elite. maybe our definitions of elite are different?

with the cap changing going to be much harder to replace a guy like timmonen in a year or two...and they will have a huge decision to make on Bryz. can you afford to keep him with the cap hit even with zero alternatives at the moment?

elite is probably excessive. solid/above avg/key contributors...whatever you want to call it. in the nhl you don't need a team full of all stars to win cups.

timonen is 37 I believe. he's done after next year. We will see what happens with Bryz. He's been their best player this year. This season is jacked so I don't put much worth in anything that happens this year, but at the least I think he's proven that he can succeed here. The flyers have always done a great job managing the cap...I'm not fretting about what they end up doing with bryz. If anything, they will have a plan. They will find a way to find a number 1 d-man as well.

You're all over the place dude. Just look at the big picture. You don't like the direction they are going in?
    polaris_x wrote:
    i would throw in that playoff success for the flyers has been dictated by 2 things of which no forward is involved ... that is goaltending and chris pronger ... if pronger was healthy either of the last 2 playoff runs ... you're likely to have a parade ...

good point. def unlucky with pronger.

flyers are a great organization. they haven't won in a while, but it's definitely not from lack of effort. I love the way they are run and the direction in which they are headed. good stuff on the horizon
    polaris_x wrote:
    Gotta disagree. The '11 run against the Bruins, Pronger would have helped for sure, but no way was the tandem of Bobrovsky and Boucher going to take them to the Cup.

Last year, the club was way too young/inexperienced. They used all they had to beat the Penguins, then had nothing left against the Devils. Pronger again would not have made a difference.