The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Nashville, Tenn. (July 19, 2012) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile issued the following statement this morning:

"We are in receipt of the offer sheet signed between the Philadelphia Flyers and Shea Weber. Under the rules pertaining to an offer sheet, the Predators have one week to decide whether to match or accept the compensation. We have stated previously that, should a team enter into an offer sheet with Shea, our intention would be to match and retain Shea. Our ownership has provided us with the necessary resources to build a Stanley Cup-winning team. Due to the complexity of the offer sheet, we will take the appropriate time to review and evaluate it and all of its ramifications in order to make the best decision for the Predators in both the short and long-term.

“We do not anticipate any further comments on this situation until we make our decision within the next seven days.”

1. I would imagine they will take the full 7 days no matter what to stick it to the Flyers a bit.
    2. I wonder if Poile and Holmgren had an agreement to do this. That way, he can go back to ownership, shrug, and avoid long negotiations. This will force ownership to jump into the pool.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Nashville, Tenn. (July 19, 2012) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile issued the following statement this morning:

"We are in receipt of the offer sheet signed between the Philadelphia Flyers and Shea Weber. Under the rules pertaining to an offer sheet, the Predators have one week to decide whether to match or accept the compensation. We have stated previously that, should a team enter into an offer sheet with Shea, our intention would be to match and retain Shea. Our ownership has provided us with the necessary resources to build a Stanley Cup-winning team. Due to the complexity of the offer sheet, we will take the appropriate time to review and evaluate it and all of its ramifications in order to make the best decision for the Predators in both the short and long-term.

“We do not anticipate any further comments on this situation until we make our decision within the next seven days.”

1. I would imagine they will take the full 7 days no matter what to stick it to the Flyers a bit.
    2. I wonder if Poile and Holmgren had an agreement to do this. That way, he can go back to ownership, shrug, and avoid long negotiations. This will force ownership to jump into the pool.

1. would would not suprise me
    2. isn't that called collusion?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    I also think if he wanted out of Nashville, he wouldnt have signed a 14 year offer sheet. He would have waited for a trade, or gone with a 1 year contract/offer sheet.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    7/25/2012 11:59pm EST
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Nashville is going to have a very tough time matching this.
    The 4 first rounders from the Flyers would most likely be later round picks. Nshville would have gotten more "slam-dunk" type of players in a trade. Thats why I think a trade will go down.
    Flyers will deal them a couple better players to get back all or some of their first rounders.

This is the best D-man in the league! The cap hit would be below $8M.

There cannot be a trade. The rules say once an offer sheet is signed, he is a Flyer or a Predator. He CANNOT be traded for a full year. Because so much is wrapped into the first year, no way he gets traded after that.

The Predators basically said they are matching, but are going to review the complexities of the deal.
    You're missing my point. Poile would not match the offer.
    Flyers then trade with Nashville to get the comp picks back from Preds. They give them better players back then they would have recieved with the late first round picks from the Flyers.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    Flyers then trade with Nashville to get the comp picks back from Preds. They give them better players back then they would have recieved with the late first round picks from the Flyers.

outside of salary dumping, why would the flyers want to give up "better" players for "lesser" picks?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    81 wrote:

outside of salary dumping, why would the flyers want to give up "better" players for "lesser" picks?
    To make sure they don't match the offer. Nashville could say were matching inless we agree to a trade. Homer could say FU and see if there bluffing.
    Go Birds!!!!
    81 wrote:

To make sure they don't match the offer. Nashville could say were matching inless we agree to a trade. Homer could say FU and call his bluff.

i get it all now....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    this is tremendous. I love how the flyers operate. Aggressively and antagonistically. The rest of the league hates them because they are great at exploiting loopholes in the NHL rules.

Giving up 4 1's is nothing for a guy like weber. Should be an interesting week
    so you are saying that Nashville would agree to not to match... but the Flyers need to agree to send more goods over for essentially nothing? Im not sure if that is legal. Also, they had an opportunity to trade for him before.

I also dont think Nashville would shop those picks exclusively to the Flyers after the fact. If anything, they would be pissed at the Flyers for playing 'dirty pool'.

With everything taken into account, I think Nashville will 100% match next Wednesday.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    With everything taken into account, I think Nashville will 100% match next Wednesday.

from what I have read, it is going to be next to impossible for them to match. the money, including bonuses, due to weber over the first three years in essence equals 20% of the entire worth of the preds franchise.

If they do match I think it will be more to spite the flyers than it will be for the good of the franchise. Good chance they go bankrupt if they sign weber. Flyers dropped a poison pill on nashville. Enjoy Poile
    MayDay10 wrote:
    so you are saying that Nashville would agree to not to match... but the Flyers need to agree to send more goods over for essentially nothing? Im not sure if that is legal. Also, they had an opportunity to trade for him before.

I also dont think Nashville would shop those picks exclusively to the Flyers after the fact. If anything, they would be pissed at the Flyers for playing 'dirty pool'.

Nashville will try and get some of are big time young guys. Couts or Scheen would be at the top of there list. Would u rather have Weber who dosen't wanna be there and his contract. Or Couts or Scheen and say Read or Voracek/Coburn and 1-2 1st picks?

If im Nashville im taking 2 1st rd picks,Couts,Read and maybe Coburn. It would then be Weber and 2 of are picks back for that package in hinesight.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    MayDay10 wrote:

from what I have read, it is going to be next to impossible for them to match. the money, including bonuses, due to weber over the first three years in essence equals 20% of the entire worth of the preds franchise.

If they do match I think it will be more to spite the flyers than it will be for the good of the franchise. Good chance they go bankrupt if they sign weber. Flyers dropped a poison pill on nashville. Enjoy Poile

The ownership for Nashville has multiple billion dollars. Although it will hurt the Predators' balance sheet for a few years, it isnt all that much to these owners, and the contract is still a bargain down the road.
    Rumor I saw was the Schenn brothers and two ones. Not sure I would do that.

I think the flyers are going to end up with weber one way or another though. Homer has Poile bent over
    MayDay10 wrote:

Nashville will try and get some of are big time young guys. Couts or Scheen would be at the top of there list. Would u rather have Weber who dosen't wanna be there and his contract. Or Couts or Scheen and say Read or Voracek/Coburn and 1-2 1st picks?

If im Nashville im taking 2 1st rd picks,Couts,Read and maybe Coburn. It would then be Weber and 2 of are picks back for that package in hinesight.

The Flyers arent trading Schenn or Couturier for low 1st round picks. Nashville probably wanted those guys in return, which is why the Flyers went the offer sheet route. Likewise, I dont think Nashville trades 1st rounders for Read or Coburn.

I could be wrong though.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,358

I'm glad you're not our GM. :roll: :lol:

Couts AND Read in place of two first rounders??? :o
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    With everything taken into account, I think Nashville will 100% match next Wednesday.[/quote]

If im Nashville im taking 2 1st rd picks,Couts,Read and maybe Coburn. It would then be Weber and 2 of are picks back for that package in hinesight.[/quote]

The Flyers arent trading Schenn or Couturier for low 1st round picks. Nashville probably wanted those guys in return, which is why the Flyers went the offer sheet route. Likewise, I dont think Nashville trades 1st rounders for Read or Coburn.

I could be wrong though.[/quote]
    They'd have no choice if they truly thought Nashville would match the offer. If the flyers hold Weber to that high of regard then Nashville holds the cards. Its a crazy game of chess being played behind the scenes imo.
    Go Birds!!!!

you forgot that he included voracek or coburn on top of what you mentioned
    i still think it is as simple as:

Nashville matches, he is on the Predators for a long time.

If they dont, the Flyers get him for a long time. The compensatory picks will be sent Nashville's way.

I dont believe it is legal for any other deals to be going on at this time. Nor do I think any moves will be made right after to 'even it up'. Also, I believe by signing an offer sheet, the possibility of Weber being traded is illegal for a year.

Your not understanding. Nashville can just end this all by matching. But they really can't afford that contract t because of the way we front loaded it. They would tell us there matching it no matter what inless we make a side trade. Homer then has to decide if he thinks Nashville is bluffing.

We'd give them 4 1st rd picks if they didn't match. So the side deal would then be some of are good young pieces for 2 of our picks back. It's a money reason and a way to make sure we get Weber.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

you forgot that he included voracek or coburn on top of what you mentioned
    They'd pick a group of players they wanted and then the teams would decide who actually goes. Its what i read on sites. Its actually not that hard to get if ur main objective isn't to just hate on a person.
    Go Birds!!!!
    MayDay10 wrote:
    i still think it is as simple as:

Nashville matches, he is on the Predators for a long time.

If they dont, the Flyers get him for a long time. The compensatory picks will be sent Nashville's way.

I dont believe it is legal for any other deals to be going on at this time. Nor do I think any moves will be made right after to 'even it up'. Also, I believe by signing an offer sheet, the possibility of Weber being traded is illegal for a year.

Yeah, this is on point with everything I read today. I'm with you as far as working trades now. Not sure if that's legal. There are tons of rumors and talking heads throwing shit out there, but who knows if any of it is accurate. As we all know, most of the time those blogs and rumors are nonsense

So now we wait....
    they need some Left Wingers really bad too.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    NO TRADE. We get him or we don't.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    NO TRADE. We get him or we don't.
    I hope so. This would be the best choice for us.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Shea Weber had some interest in playing for the New York Rangers, but the prospect of living in such a big city was a deterrent.
    Weber's agent said that his client is a "small-town guy." Weber ultimately decided to sign an offer sheet with the Philadelphia Flyers. The Nashville Predators now have a week to match it or allow Weber to leave in exchange for draft picks
    Go Birds!!!!
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    I think the predators match...all this talk that Weber doesn't want to play for Nashville is silly...because if Nashville matches then he potentially has to play there for 14 years, if he didn't want to play there then sign a 1 year contract and leave as an UFA next year. Nashville has tons of cap room.

Either way I still doubt the flyers win the cup...need a real goalie.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Either way I still doubt the flyers win the cup...need a real goalie.

Such a farce. since the lockout here are the cup winning goalies.

cam ward
    jean-sebastian giguere
    chris osgood
    marc-andre fleury
    antti niemi

nice try though. go hate somewhere else