Options

The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Bobby Holik spent much of his career antagonizing the Flyers and their fans -- first with the New Jersey Devils, then with the New York Rangers, and then, in the end, with the Devils once more. Now Holik is using the internet to give Philadelphia an online crosscheck.

Holik recently started a blog called Holik on Hockey, and his most recent post -- titled “Calling out the Flyers” (via Deadspin) -- admonishes members of the Orange and Black, as well as the Philadelphia media, “for being happy the Kings won, and even rooting for them after their second round loss to the Devils.”

In one passage, Holik writes that he “can’t see how the Flyers are happy. How could a team who decided Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Simon Gagne couldn’t win in orange and black, feel great about guys who won the second they left Philadelphia?”

Holik goes on to complain that the media should question the organization because “the Flyers have been great at finding great skilled and character players. These kinds of players exist in abundance, but the hard part is maximizing their potential. If one looks back in the last two decades, you would find many players who were put in a tough spot by the organization. They put unreasonable expectations on some of these young men (Eric Lindros) or sign them to ridiculous contracts as far term goes (Richards or Carter) and think their work is done. It’s not.”
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    81 wrote:
    Bobby Holik spent much of his career antagonizing the Flyers and their fans -- first with the New Jersey Devils, then with the New York Rangers, and then, in the end, with the Devils once more. Now Holik is using the internet to give Philadelphia an online crosscheck.

Holik recently started a blog called Holik on Hockey, and his most recent post -- titled “Calling out the Flyers” (via Deadspin) -- admonishes members of the Orange and Black, as well as the Philadelphia media, “for being happy the Kings won, and even rooting for them after their second round loss to the Devils.”

In one passage, Holik writes that he “can’t see how the Flyers are happy. How could a team who decided Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Simon Gagne couldn’t win in orange and black, feel great about guys who won the second they left Philadelphia?”

Holik goes on to complain that the media should question the organization because “the Flyers have been great at finding great skilled and character players. These kinds of players exist in abundance, but the hard part is maximizing their potential. If one looks back in the last two decades, you would find many players who were put in a tough spot by the organization. They put unreasonable expectations on some of these young men (Eric Lindros) or sign them to ridiculous contracts as far term goes (Richards or Carter) and think their work is done. It’s not.”
    What a tool.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,633
    and the Rangers didnt give Holik an unreasonable contract...
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    MayDay10 wrote:
    and the Rangers didnt give Holik an unreasonable contract...

what a disaster
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    James Van Riemsdyk to the Sharks for Mitchell Niitymaki and a 3rd rounder.
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    What
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    What

I think he is joking.

I think that JVR might be involved in a trade to get Nash, atleast that is what I'm hearing.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    fife wrote:
    What

I think he is joking.

I think that JVR might be involved in a trade to get Nash, atleast that is what I'm hearing.

how are they going to fit that contract? actually, doesn't make a ton of sense to me...they have plenty of offense already...need more D
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I think that JVR might be involved in a trade to get Nash, atleast that is what I'm hearing.[/quote]

how are they going to fit that contract? actually, doesn't make a ton of sense to me...they have plenty of offense already...need more D[/quote]

i have been hearing from people on TSN here that they are trying to get Nash. I don't agree with it as I think the contract is very high and too long. I would prefer a D-Man also
  • Options
    they are also reporting that there are double-digit teams interested. As it was, the asking price was rediculous.
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,771
    MayDay10 wrote:
    they are also reporting that there are double-digit teams interested. As it was, the asking price was rediculous.

Well I would assume that the team acquiring JVR will win the Stanley Cup next year, so it's understandable that many teams are interested.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    The Flyers going out and getting Nash without addressing the D first is just the stupid off season move that I expect this organization to make.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Flyers going out and getting Nash without addressing the D first is just the stupid off season move that I expect this organization to make.

I'd much rather have parise than nash
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

I'd prefer Parise as well. We'd have to still trade JVR and Bob to afford Parise. 7.8 for Nash is nuts imo, not sure what Parise will avg.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:
    81 wrote:
    I believe we will see JVR traded before the pre-season.

it wouldn't suprise me either way

guy was hurt 95% of the time last year. the previous year he was thought to be on his way to stardom (although not totally by me). i don't get why the flyers feel the need to trade him. his upside in the next 2 years is going to be way higher than anything they get back.

fans that use the run in 2010 to defend their stance that the team should have kept richards...and especially the loser carter, are beyond stupid. not surprisingly, some people here use that exact criteria

look who the flyers played that year. they were the 7 seed and had home ice in the ECF. It was a fun playoff run to watch, but they got extremely lucky with their playoff draws that year.

combine the above with the fact that carter and richards each had close to a decade remaining on their deals and I think the moves were smart (even as much as I love richards). The flyers got positive returns in both moves and they gained financial flexibility in dumping both of those huge contracts. They screwed up by giving bryz such a large deal, but the trades should be positive long term for the franchise. Hopefully there is an amnesty clause in the new cba and they can get out from under the bryz deal
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:

I'd prefer Parise as well. We'd have to still trade JVR and Bob to afford Parise. 7.8 for Nash is nuts imo, not sure what Parise will avg.

they should have traded bob last year. he stinks and with the large committment to bryz, there is no need to have him on the roster.
  • Options
    apparently holmgren is going after this guy pretty hard. would be a nice addition...exactly the type of young dman that they need.

you know the flyers will do something soon with the draft being held next weekend. seems like they always have a surprise during this upcoming week/during the draft

There are plenty of teams clamoring for Justin Schultz, the University of Wisconsin defenseman and former Anaheim draftee that appears ready to test free agency.
    There’s just one catch.
    Because he’ll be signing his first NHL deal, teams can only offer Schultz a standard entry-level contract (complete with performance bonuses) — so in terms of money, all deals will be fairly similar.
    As such, teams interested in bringing Schultz aboard will have to get creative in other areas, something ex-Tampa Bay GM Brian Lawton explained to Edmonton’s Team 1260.
    Courtesy the Edmonton Journal:
    “You can rest assured ten teams will guarantee him a spot on their roster,” Lawton told Jason Gregor of the Team 1260. “If you want to compete for these guys you better understand the environment and you better be aggressive. Because there is no time to not be.
    “So if you any chance to get a player like this, you’re gonna unfortunately going to be out there on a limb in some uncomfortable positions. Because there are things you don’t want to do like guaranteeing a roster spot to a player who has not played in the league.
    “But guess what? That is the landscape you’re dealing with. If you’re going to sit at home and say, ‘I’m not going to do that,’ that’s great. But you’re not going to get any players either.”
    Even though Schultz has been labeled “a top-four defenseman upon arrival,” you can see how this type of guarantee would differ between *rumored* suitors like the Oilers and Canucks.
    See, it’s easier for a team like Edmonton (low on NHL caliber defensemen) to promise Schultz this type of role than it is for, say, Vancouver (who at times was using Keith Ballard as its No. 6 last year.)
    Finally — it should be noted the Ducks still have until June 24 to reach a deal with Schultz, though the possibility of him inking with Anaheim sounds unlikely.
  • Options
    more good shit

The Flyers, Canadiens, Capitals, and Hurricanes all may have interest in Jay Bouwmeester. As I have reported over the past few days, it really sounds like the Flyers are attempting to move for a top D-man via trade...and they may be willing to give up a top 6 forward...or even two if that other D-man is Shea Weber...
  • Options
    This could be incredible.

Rob Zombie Targets Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Team For ‘Broad Street Bullies’ Pic

http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/rob-zom ... t-bullies/
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,310
    This could be incredible.

Rob Zombie Targets Philadelphia Flyers Hockey Team For ‘Broad Street Bullies’ Pic

http://www.deadline.com/2012/06/rob-zom ... t-bullies/

:shock: i'm intrigued.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    interesting....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    Bobby Ryans available again. Would u trade JVR and a pick for him? I would in a second and think this should happen right away.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options
    Bobby Ryans available again. Would u trade JVR and a pick for him? I would in a second and think this should happen right away.
    It's going to take more than JVR and a pick to acquire Ryan.
    B. Ryan is already established as the type of player that JVR was advertised as becoming.
  • Options
    :lol::lol:

gonna take alot more my good man
  • Options
    edited June 2012

for real. don't let common sense get in the way
    Post edited by The Fixer on
  • Options
    Sign Justin Schultz

Come on Homer. Do it

Apparently Carle has a deal in place. Will be announced after July 1
  • Options
    Always so much talk at this time... Im not sure how many moves we will see due to the upcoming expiration of the CBA.

Bobby Ryan is now rumored to be available. He will always be connected to Philly as a possibility due to the local connection. Rumors say Buffalo has also been off and on him. He is the guy you want. Not Nash. I believe Parise will be too expensive when it is all said and done. (I also believe a strong, experienced d-man should be Philly's top priority)

Not sure if a team like the Flyers would guarantee a roster spot for a defenseman right out of U of Wisconsin. That doesnt do either side a service. Developing defensemen is tricky. This could stunt his development, skipping the AHL, and also could be a huge hole on the blue line, something a contender like the Flyers cant have. I guess worst case is they try to send him down on the 1-way deal and someone claims him off waivers... But then they are rolling in a #6 or #7 defenseman anyways unless they can find a trading partner on the fly.

I thought I saw a rumor that said Nash and Johnson for Read, JVR, 1st, and Couturier? Then they would have to make a salary-clearing move.
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    I thought I saw a rumor that said Nash and Johnson for Read, JVR, 1st, and Couturier? Then they would have to make a salary-clearing move.

Columbus is hating that carter deal. :lol:

no way i do this deal. Couts is going to be a stud.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options

I read jvr and a 1st rd pick could poss be offered. That's why I wrote that yesterday. I won't waste my time replying to a certain reply.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Options

I read jvr and a 1st rd pick could poss be offered. That's why I wrote that yesterday. I won't waste my time replying to a certain reply.

i didnt want it to come off as a wise guy like a particular someone :lol:

but imo its gonna take alot more