The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    MFCarissa wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    plus there is a max annual salary they can offer him (I think it's around 12 million). so it doesnt matter if they have 7 mill in cap space or 50 mill in cap space. They just need to get up around 9-10 million, which they are capable of doing.

now leave us alone and go start a red wings thread

I'm well aware of this, and it does matter. The Lightning will definitely match $9 or 10 million. It would probably take the max or close to it to actually get him. You'd have to move about a 4 million dollar contract just for Stamkos, and that's without signing anyone else that needs to be signed to complete the roster.

And I've tried that, but, unfortunately, this thread and the Rangers thread are the only ones that stay active. And Rangers fans really aren't saying anything interesting right now.

flyers are prepared to offer 13 years though. tampa lost 20-25 million last year, so they may not be in a position to throw around that kind of loot.

again, I don't think he ends up with the flyers but there is a chance
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    they will offer him the sheet like lowlives...but tampa will match it...case closed

and hopefully tampa waits all 7 days on purpose

Man, if he did sign, this alone would be worth it. :lol:

if he does...great move by the flyers

just taking a big gamble with the waiting period

although their aren't too many big names out there anyway

rangers are gonna sign richards....i just hope sather doesn't overpay
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    they will offer him the sheet like lowlives...but tampa will match it...case closed

Man, if he did sign, this alone would be worth it. :lol:

richards is the one guy I don't want the flyers to sign. haha
    here's the latest update...

Two holdups on Flyers offer to Stamkos
    For nearly an entire business day, all has been quiet on the Flyers’ watch for restricted free agent forward Steven Stamkos.

For the first time in two days, Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman picked up negotiations with Stamkos’ agents - Don Meehan and Mark Guy of the Newport Sports Group - to try and work out a deal.

While that has been going on, the Flyers have been quietly plugging together numbers and considering mulling over whether or not to send an offer sheet for the restricted free agent.

Here is the latest:

-As of 4:45pm on Wednesday, no offer has been sent to Stamkos’ camp - from the Flyers or any other team.

-A proposed number, even higher than the one floated in our story in Wednesday’s paper, that was relayed to the Daily News is 12 years, $115 million. If sent, that would give Stamkos a $9.58 salary cap hit. A no-movement clause would also be initiated after Stamkos finishes his 7th season in the NHL. He has already played 3.

Now, the Flyers have not sent their offer sheet for two reasons:

1) The Lightning have the ability to sit on the offer for 7 days once Stamkos decides to accept an offer sheet. Since the sheet cannot be accepted by Stamkos until July 1 even if it is signed, the Lightning could make the Flyers wait until July 8.

The Flyers are concerned that they may not be able to fill out their roster with other unrestricted free agents if they choose to wait that long.

As it stands now, the Flyers have 19 players under contract. Take out Ian Laperriere and Michael Leighton and you’re down to 17, with at least 3 forwards needing to be signed. They could easily be Ville Leino, Jakub Voracek and Wayne Simmonds.

However, sources say the Flyers do also have interest in Michael Ryder, John Madden and Erik Cole, to name a few. There is no guarantee, however, that any one of those players would sign with the Flyers. That’s the tough part.

Madden, 38, would reportedly like to either stay in Minnesota or retire without having to uproot his family again.

So, do the Flyers take a stab at Stamkos with the possibility that they fail? Or do they count on signing one or two of those other players at a much discounted rate and leave a little salary cap space to spare?

It’s a tough call - and one that the Flyers have been debating all day.

In reality, though, the Flyers could make do if they took a stab at Stamkos and failed. They would re-sign Voracek and Simmonds, go after another lingering, small-time free agent, and fill out their roster with Phantoms players that have progressed nicely like Ben Holmstrom, Eric Wellwood and maybe even Matt Read.

If the Flyers did land Stamkos, they could address their cap troubles by either trading Sergei Bobrovsky and one of their defenseman, or even stash a player like Scott Hartnell off the cap in Adirondack until his contract expires. The options are endless to get under if they get him.

2) Another reason the Flyers have held up on sending an offer sheet is that they are targeting to Stamkos for one reason only: to sign him.

While throwing out a ridiculous offer sheet to Stamkos would, in turn, force a conference rival to pay more than they had budgeted or intended to keep, the Flyers would likely save themselves the effort - and the stress - of not taking a shot if they know there is no way to get a deal done.

That means the Flyers have spent the last 24-48 hours trying to come up with a “poison pill” or offer that the Lightning could not afford to match, likely by severely front-loading a long-term, expensive deal.

Yzerman has even told Flyers officials that he has been given the green light from owner Jeffrey Vinik to match any offer that comes down the pike.

Whether that’s true or Yzerman is bluffing to avoid a substantial offer is the reason the Flyers have been playing a day-long game of chicken, no different than the game Stamkos’ agents have been playing with Yzerman from the beginning.

From Stamkos’ agents’ perspective, the Newport Sports Group would likely love to see an offer - to either use as a bargaining chip and keep their client in Tampa Bay at the price they want, or assure that he will get it elsewhere.

BIG VILLE STYLE: Paul Holmgren said on Tuesday that he had not had any communication with either Ville Leino or his agent, Bill Zito, since Friday.

Sources say that hasn’t changed on Wednesday.

Leino, back in his native Finland, has been unreachable on both his American cell phone and cell phone in Finland.

The Flyers have likely waited to figure out their position with Stamkos before moving on to decide what to do with Leino.

Judging by the deals that have been signed through the early part of the free agency period so far - namely Tomas Kopecky (4 years, $12 million) and Brooks Laich (6 years, $27 million) - it looks like Leino’s price has gone up daily. It may ultimately be in his best interest to wait until July 1 to hear offers from other teams - and maybe to spite the Flyers after not making him a priority, whether it was in February before Kris Versteeg was acquired or last week after Mike Richards and Jeff Carter were dealt.
    The Fixer wrote:

i'm on the fence...if we can get him at the right price...sure

but we can't give him big years and or money ...too much of a risk

he wants to play in ny so he should help the team and meet us halfway :? :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    The Fixer wrote:

What’s the risk if it doesn’t work out he can join Redden with the Wolfpack! :lol:
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    Hawkshore wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

What’s the risk if it doesn’t work out he can join Redden with the Wolfpack! :lol:

july 1st 2008 ..pearl jam @ the beacon for robin hood..checked my phone 9pm...almost fainted when i saw the contract :roll: :lol:
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    what can we say...we bought out drury...thats about it :lol:

I guess the Flyers made the right choice that day by signing Little Danny !

:lol:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    The Fixer wrote:

I dont either but makes for good drama

The Red Wings fans are only here because Yzerman is the GM involved

:P

apparently the TB owner is a billionaire. didn't know that...and I don't like it. damnit
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,369
    The Fixer wrote:

Haha. I Couldn't have given two shits about Florida Panthers when Bobby Clarke was there.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    The Fixer wrote:

Haha. I Couldn't have given two shits about Florida Panthers when Bobby Clarke was there.

Yeah really. Or the North Stars when he was there
    The Fixer wrote:
    Yeah really. Or the North Stars when he was there

Forgot about that. I guess we were pissed he fuckd up the 80s team.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    HBO 24/7 Winter Classic 2012 ...

Calling it the worst-kept secret in hockey, NHL chief operating officer John Collins has confirmed that the New York Rangers and Philadelphia Flyers, the teams featured in the Jan. 2 Winter Classic, will be the subjects of next season's instalment (sic) of HBO's 24/7. The inclusion of Rangers coach John Tortorella and Flyers' new goalie Ilya "Why you have to be mad?" Bryzgalov became slam dunks when the NHL schedule was released showing them as the New Year's holiday attraction.

great info. doesn't look like stamkos is gonna happen (no surprise there). I think they should tell leino to F himself. I'd rather have cole anyway. Also, I was never much of a handzus fan. I know they need someone that's capable of winning draws, but I wouldn't give him anywhere near $4 mill per year.

Contrary to some reports, the Flyers have apparently finally made contact with the Ville Leino camp this week. A source close to the situation indicated that Paul Holmgren spoke with Leino's agent, Bill Zito, on Tuesday. As of yesterday, the two sides did not appear close to reaching an agreement.

Several times over the last week, Holmgren has indicated to the media that the club hopes to resign the impending unrestricted free agent. However, based on the fact that Holmgren did not make any contact with the Leino side -- either face to face or by telephone -- over the entire draft weekend, the comments appear to have been a stalling tactic more than anything else. The club is weighing other options while, at the same time, was hoping to keeo the Leino camp at bay by paying lip service to making a top priority of signing him by July 1.

As I wrote the other day, I think the ultimate decision is Leino's. He may prefer to stay in Philadelphia with all things being equal, but I also think that he's eager to see if there may be a better fit (read: more power play time and more money) under a different coach.

If no deal is struck today, I expect Leino to sign elsewhere. If he does not return, Erik Cole may be a viable UFA option to provide wing goal scoring on one of the team's top two forward lines. In addition, Jakub Voracek (who should be signed relatively soon) will be counted on to assume Leino's playmaking role, possibly taking his place on Danny Briere's line with Scott Hartnell. There is an outside chance that Simon Gagne could return to Philadelphia, but that would depend on how much of a pay cut he'd take off his now-expired $5 million per season deal.

The Flyers are also said to be weighing offers to third line center options Michal Handzus and John Madden, as well as veteran winger Jamie Langenbrunner.

Having seen Langenbrunner play on an every-game basis Dallas this past season, I don't think there's much left in the tank. He also disappointed with New Jersey last year prior to the trade to the Stars. Madden has apparently changed his mind about retiring and could center the fourth line (with Blair Betts either moving to a wing or being traded).

Handzus is a slow skater who has become even slower with age and injury, but he has missed only one game in the last four years, leading his team's forwards in blocked shots each season. The 6-foot-5 pivot is still a good faceoff man, and has underrated hands around the net. He has scored 20-plus goals in four NHL seasons, most recently in the 2009-10 season. But Handzus is also coming off a $4 million cap hit contract and, while he will have to take a cut wherever he goes, may also still cost a little more than the Flyers would want to spend for a player in his role.

No, I still don't think the Flyers are tendering an offer sheet to Steven Stamkos. I agree with Al Morganti and others who have said that there is a lack of consensus in the organization about whether to make the effort -- especially since it is unlikely to succeed.

Something else to keep in mind: If the Flyers got Stamkos and capped themselves out, they would leave themselves vulnerable to an offer sheet for James van Riemsdyk next summer. I think common sense will prevail here. Stamkos is already one of the top five players in the NHL but the Flyers really aren't in good shape to land him either via offer sheet or trade.

Also, I will reiterate that the Flyers have a greater need for a long-term succession plan on the blueline than they are in need of bringing in a superstar forward. I think the hockey people in the organization understand this. In a couple years, who knows how healthy and productive Chris Pronger will be? Kimmo Timonen will be at the end of the line in his Flyers career.

In the short term, I think there is a glaring need for a big third line center who can win faceoffs and a need for some more help on the PK. Hopefully, someday Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier become faceoff and PK aces. I don't think this will be the year.

By the way, I strongly doubt that either Timonen or Briere -- for family reasons even more than hockey reasons -- would be receptive to waiving their no-trade clauses even if the Flyers were inclined to ask. It isn't happening, and hasn't been considered.

It would be asinine to try to move out Briere when he's the team's top playoff performer and still has plenty of good hockey left in him. Timonen got worn down this past season, especially when Pronger was lost to foot, hand and back injuries. That showed in the playoffs when the rest of the team was also getting pummeled by Boston. But Timonen is still an integral on-ice and off-ice part of the team.
    Cole I like but the dude is always hurt. I dont want Handzuz either

Leino seems like he thinks hes more important then he really is

I'm hearing they may be in on the Jagr talks !!! Homer may have been hitting the pipe a bit

I'm hearing they may be in on the Jagr talks !!! Homer may have been hitting the pipe a bit

I saw the jagr stuff too. Regardless of who they end up with (jagr, langenbrunner, gagne, cole, madden, asham, etc) it looks like they are getting an old guy.

I like that dude bergenheim from TB. He was money in the playoffs. He's not a top 6 forward, but he would fit in well. Reminds me of Rusty Fedotenko a little bit.
    The Fixer wrote:

I saw the jagr stuff too. Regardless of who they end up with (jagr, langenbrunner, gagne, cole, madden, asham, etc) it looks like they are getting an old guy.

I like that dude bergenheim from TB. He was money in the playoffs. He's not a top 6 forward, but he would fit in well. Reminds me of Rusty Fedotenko a little bit.

Slim pickens in the free agency pool this year

Jagr to the Pens..which I expected

Flyers need more Center help right now then Wing but I don't see them paying Richards what he wants so we may be stuck with a Madden and some wingers

I stand corrected Jagr to the Flyers !!

:roll:

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,808
    Not sure if this is true, bit did I just hear we signed jagr????
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    39 years old

Last played in the NHL '07-'08

Jagr $3.3mil for 1 year

Jagr $3.3mil for 1 year

:thumbdown: :yawn:

Jagr $3.3mil for 1 year

I totally agree

I had heard Handzus was a done deal but now I doubt it

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    Jagr $3.3mil for 1 year

wtf? i guess Forsberg was no longer available. jeez trade 2 of your top 5 forwards then sign a 40 year old who hasn't been good in the NHL for ages. great move homer.
    wow
    pjhawks wrote:
    Jagr $3.3mil for 1 year

wtf? i guess Forsberg was no longer available. jeez trade 2 of your top 5 forwards then sign a 40 year old who hasn't been good in the NHL for ages. great move homer.

Head shaker for sure

Not only that how many other moves can they have if hes getting 3.3 mill ?

They signed Voracek 1 yr 2.25mil

After Voracek and Jagr, Flyers have less than $4.2 million in cap space left.

Sean O'donell signed with CHI

Now they need a 6th DMan also

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    They signed Voracek 1 yr 2.25mil

After Voracek and Jagr, Flyers have less than $4.2 million in cap space left.

Welp, there goes that.

But, I still think they make another trade or something to free up some room down the line.