The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    pjhawks wrote:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/9802/countdown-to-july-1-are-flyers-targeting-stamkos-whats-next-for-sullivan
    Just talk but i heard Frank say on the radio that maybe a Bob and the new kid from LA for the exclusive rights to Stamkos. I just think that Homer wouldn't bring in a stud goalie and trade 2 starts without a bigger picture in mind. Were close here and there's no way u trade both of them without having something up your sleeve.

Tim Panaccio on CSN Philly says it's unlikely but the more i think about it the more i think they might be making a play here. the key is what number Stamkos will be looking for. $10 million can't happen in Philly with the other money already tied up but maybe $7 for a long term deal can get it done? Ed Snider is getting old (i think almost 80 now?) - maybe he is taking the Phils example and saying fuck it and do whatever it takes to win next year. still some wasted money on the roster that can be sliced off (versteeg for $3 million is a travesty). would be awesome if it happens.

Tampa would match at $7 they have already offered a deal to him at $7 ......I think it has to be closer to $10 to have them back off and take the picks
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    If Stamkos doesnt sign by thursday he's most likely ending up in toronto or philly. both teams are rumored to have offers of $9 million per year ready. flyers could still trade versteeg or others mentioned in this thread.

also, am I the only flyer fan that doesn't care if leino comes back? I don't think he's that good. I wouldn't mind a one or two year deal, but I really hope they don't give him anything long term for the money he seems to want
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:
    If Stamkos doesnt sign by thursday he's most likely ending up in toronto or philly. both teams are rumored to have offers of $9 million per year ready. flyers could still trade versteeg or others mentioned in this thread.

also, am I the only flyer fan that doesn't care if leino comes back? I don't think he's that good. I wouldn't mind a one or two year deal, but I really hope they don't give him anything long term for the money he seems to want
    I'm not a Leino fan either,but Hartnell is my biggiest annoyance. Sucks he has a no trade clause.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

I'm not a Leino fan either,but Hartnell is my biggiest annoyance. Sucks he has a no trade clause.

I don't mind leino, but he's not a guy I would go crazy to bring back. Snider seems to love him and that worries me.

Hartnell is a tool. Agree there. He falls down more than any player I remember watching. Like someone puts tape on his blades before every game
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The Fixer wrote:

I dont think Stamkos will sign before the deadline..it would make more sense for him to wait and see what other teams are offering. He has leverage right now.

I hated the Versteeg move from day one so I hope he goes. Rumors are hes headed to FLA

Leino is not a key guy but if they dont have any other options I would take him back.

Laich 6 year deal with WASH
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    The Fixer wrote:

I dont think Stamkos will sign before the deadline..it would make more sense for him to wait and see what other teams are offering. He has leverage right now.

I hated the Versteeg move from day one so I hope he goes. Rumors are hes headed to FLA

Leino is not a key guy but if they dont have any other options I would take him back.

Agree about stamkos signing early. You couldn't fit a pin in Yzerman's ass hole right now.

That versteeg rumor has been around for over a week now. Gotta think something would have happened at draft if florida was interested. They had like 89 picks to trade.

I'd rather have old, crusty gagne back for one year than pay leino big money
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Agree about stamkos signing early. You couldn't fit a pin in Yzerman's ass hole right now.

That versteeg rumor has been around for over a week now. Gotta think something would have happened at draft if florida was interested. They had like 89 picks to trade.

I'd rather have old, crusty gagne back for one year than pay leino big money

I keep reading this will define Yzerman as a GM so they're saying he wont let him walk

Not a key guy but a guy I like out there is Asham..he'd be cheap I think

Thats of course not top prioroty they need more holes filled

Also, I love that the flyers gave carter's 17 to simmonds. They did him so wrong. Tremendous.

Plenty of frat parties for him to hit in columbus. :lol:
    Good Info. This would be deja vu from the cliff lee signing if it happens.

Stamkos: Procedure, rules, myths
    With all of the hoopla surrounding the Flyers’ possible interest in Tampa Bay’s restricted free agent forward Steven Stamkos, let’s outline some facts, rules, and figures.

We outlined here in our story in Tuesday's paper why the Flyers might want to and why Tampa Bay might not come to terms with Stamkos on a new deal. A report from Rogers SportsNet in Canada on Tuesday said Stamkos and the Lightning are still "not close" on an extension.

Whether any of this happens remains to be seen, but it’s important to know how it all works.

PROCEDURE:
    Starting today (Tuesday), at 5 o’clock, if the Flyers are so inclined, they may contact Tampa Bay forward Steven Stamkos - through his agents, Don Meehan and Mark Guy of Newport Sports Group - to express their interest by way of an offer sheet.

According to the NHL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement, the offer sheet can be presented - and must be faxed to the Lightning and NHL and NHLPA - but no agreement can be signed until the free agency period opens on July 1.

In the meantime, Stamkos could use the offer sheet (if presented) for leverage in his negotiations with Tampa Bay.

“Restricted Free Agents may make contact with Clubs (including their own) regarding potential interest, but may not sign new SPCs or Offer Sheets until the opening of Free Agency Signing Period.”

The Lightning will have 7 calendar days to review the offer sheet. They can decide to either match the offer sheet, exercising their “first refusal notice,” and pay their player the amount listed on the offer sheet, or they can choose to accept the compensation.

“(ii) An Offer Sheet, once signed by the Player and the New Club, shall be irrevocable.”

If the prior club, or Tampa Bay in this case, decides to not address an offer sheet after 7 calendar days, the player will become property of the new club.

COMPENSATION:
    Since Stamkos would likely be signed to an offer sheet above $7,533,584 million, the compensation would be four (4) first round draft picks, payable in one first round pick per year for four straight years.

The Lightning have a right to check with the NHL and place a reserve on the Flyers’ draft picks, meaning they cannot trade them in another move, while mulling over any offer sheet.

It is not possible to send an offer sheet without first having said compensation available. The Flyers have all four of their next first round picks.

MYTHS:
    -Steven Stamkos is not eligible for arbitration as he has not played four professional seasons after signing his entry-level contract.
    -If he is presented with an offer sheet, accepts, and the Lightning decide to match, he must honor the deal.

OTHER QUESTIONS:
    -The Flyers could sign Stamkos to a deal with any (reasonable) term that doesn't circumvent the CBA, a la Ilya Kovalchuk. For instance, a 14-year, $110 million deal would work for an average cap hit of $7.8 million.
    -The Flyers are permitted to exceed the $64.3 million salary cap (and have in the past) by up to 10 percent in the summer but must be cap compliant by Oct. 6.
    -The maximum money in any given year is set near $12 million. So, for instance, a deal structred like $20M-$5M-$7M-etc. will not work.

OFFER SHEET:
    According to the NHL’s CBA, here is exactly what a (rather simple) offer sheet looks like:

EXHIBIT 6 FORM OF OFFER SHEET
    OFFER SHEET
    Name and Address of Player ("Player"):
    Name and Address of Player's Certified Agent, if any:
    Prior Club:
    New Club:

[New Club] hereby offers to enter into an NHL Standard Player's Contract ("SPC") with Player containing the following Principal Terms:

1. Term of SPC:
    2. Signing, Reporting, or Roster Bonus (if any): $
    3. Paragraph 1 NHL Salary for each year of SPC: $
    4. Paragraph 1 Minor League Salary, if any, for each year of SPC: $

Date: _______________

_______________________ Player (signed)

__________________________ New Club (signed)
    cc: NHL Central Registry, NHLPA, Prior club

THE OTHER SIDE:
    -For a solid look from the other side, read Erik Erlendsson's blog on the Tampa Tribune web site about the on-going Stamkos saga.
    -This is another helpful link on signing RFAs.
    Can't wait to see what happens

Of course we remember the last big RFA signing from TB.... GRATTON
    :roll: :lol:

I was reading about that earlier. The flyers have a way of getting themselves into the weirdest scenarios with these FA types.

Hopefully they are negotiating with stamkos right now
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    The Fixer wrote:

I was reading about that earlier. The flyers have a way of getting themselves into the weirdest scenarios with these FA types.

All this talk is giving me a semi. Can't you guys just say there's no fucking chance of this happening so I don't get a hard-on?
    The Fixer wrote:

I know.. that's why I love the Flyers they're usually always trying some crazy shit to win

If there only wasn't a salary cap.. just imagine

Dude.. you're gonna love the way Simmonds plays

The Fixer wrote:

Stamkos,JVR and Claude are all 23 and younger. That'd be a sick core for years to come.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

I know.. that's why I love the Flyers they're usually always trying some crazy shit to win

If there only wasn't a salary cap.. just imagine

Dude.. you're gonna love the way Simmonds plays

Yeah, I like what I have been reading. I just worry about his suction cups getting stuck to the glass
    The Fixer wrote:

Stamkos,JVR and Claude are all 23 and younger. That'd be a sick core for years to come.

schenn is only 19.

then again, richards is only 25. :evil:
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

schenn is only 19.

then again, richards is only 25. :evil:

Dude, if we end up with Stamkos after all this chicanery - actually, even without Stamkos - then Richards can go bump lines off of the smalls of backs of Sunset Strip hookers for the rest of his life for all I care.
    If we offered them the rights for Stamkos, Schenn would more then likely have to go to TB from what i heard today.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

All this talk is giving me a semi. Can't you guys just say there's no fucking chance of this happening so I don't get a hard-on?
    Haha

It's a long shot but the old saying where there is smoke there is fire

It would be sick if it happens

The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, I like what I have been reading. I just worry about his suction cups getting stuck to the glass
    :shock:

• MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494

There's no fucking chance of this happening. According to CapGeek, the Flyers have $8,281,905 in cap space right now, and the Lightning have $21,836,417. The Lightning will match any offer.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,369
    MFCarissa wrote:

There's no fucking chance of this happening. According to CapGeek, the Flyers have $8,281,905 in cap space right now, and the Lightning have $21,836,417. The Lightning will match any offer.

At this point I just want to see it happen so I can quote all your posts the next day. :P
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    MFCarissa wrote:

At this point I just want to see it happen so I can quote all your posts the next day. :P

If it happens, you lose Voracek and Simmonds, since they are RFAs and not signed yet.

Here: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2011/06/28/2080270/dont-expect-flyers-to-sign-stamkos.html

I think it's cute that you guys still thought you had a chance though.
    I think it's cute that it bothers you so much that we're talking about it. Love it, actually.
    I think it's cute that it bothers you so much that we're talking about it. Love it, actually.

It doesn't bother me at all, actually. It's just every team's pipe dream this season, and I find it funny.
    MFCarissa wrote:

I think it's cute that you guys still thought you had a chance though.

almost as cute as you talking all that shit in the NHL playoff thing we did.

signed,

the champion
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,369
    MFCarissa wrote:

It doesn't bother me at all, actually. It's just every team's pipe dream this season, and I find it funny.

I find your obsession pretty funny. ;)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Even if the Flyers were to get Stamkos, they would have to pay the Lightning 4 first round picks as compensation, let Voracek and Simmonds go (basically wasting the Carter and Richards trades), and either move more players or roll with a short roster. I don't know why anyone would want that for their team. Look what happened to the Devils with Kovalchuk.
    also, I have to question the source of that article.

the bellingham herald...circulation, 14
    http://m.philly.com/phillycom/pm_101821 ... d=NX5JN73t
    :shock: :shock:

That link is from my phone not sure if it will work