The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The 81 wrote:
    Quote from Lappy after the trade...

"Well there's clique in every team, the young guys, the veterans. Myself I was more with Pronger's group, not that I'm really a friend of his, but I prefer to follow a guy who won over a guy who never won"

sums it up right there.

Yeah..I think it says a lot about the mess in the Locker Room

Homer pretty much either made great deals or just bought a ticket out of town

Gutsy moves
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    The 81 wrote:
    Quote from Lappy after the trade...

"Well there's clique in every team, the young guys, the veterans. Myself I was more with Pronger's group, not that I'm really a friend of his, but I prefer to follow a guy who won over a guy who never won"

sums it up right there.

how often do captain's get traded in the nhl?

captains get traded just not on the same day as your top goal scorer

:lol:

Flyers are not done yet

ST. PAUL, Minn. -- Exhaling, Paul Holmgren said it best on Thursday:

“A lot can happen between now and the start of training camp.”

Truthfully, a lot will happen for the Flyers between now and Sunday here at the Entry Draft in Minnesota, let alone when free agency officially kicks off on July 1.

After all, the Flyers - suddenly with nearly $10.2 million in salary cap space without Michael Leighton and Matt Walker on the roster and Ian Laperriere on the long-term injury list - will have their hands full with re-signing restricted free agents Ville Leino, Dan Carcillo, Andreas Nodl, and Darroll Powe.

Both newly acquired forwards Wayne Simmonds and Jakub Voracek are also restricted free agents are looking for raises.

They may also have a few other tricks up their sleeve.

Here’s the latest on what I know:

MOVIN' ON UP? Since attending the NHL Combine in Toronto earlier this month, the Flyers have been absolutely drooling over winger Gabriel Landeskog from the OHL’s Kitchener Rangers.

Unfortunately for the Flyers, he won’t be falling as far as their No. 8 slot, which they acquired on Thursday from Columbus.

The Flyers have been looking to upgrade their organizational depth on defense, but Holmgren also said this week that he would be looking to tack the best player available when they pick, regardless of position.

League sources have indicated that the Flyers are interested in swapping picks with Florida, who is slated to select at No. 3 overall. The Panthers are looking to improve their team and they already have a bevy of top young talent after missing the playoffs for an NHL record 10 straight seasons.

So, what would it take to acquire the No. 3 overall pick?

How about Kris Versteeg and the No. 8 pick. That ought to do it. Versteeg has one year left on his deal at $3.083 million but he did not perform up to expectations after being acquired on Valentine’s Day for a first and third round pick.

The move seems to make sense. The Panthers are looking. They are $30 million below the NHL’s salary cap floor, or minimum that must be spent. The Flyers have been shopping Versteeg in deals. Most importantly, Panthers general manager Dale Tallon is a big believer in Versteeg.

Tallon, the former Blackhawks GM, is the man who brought Versteeg to Chicago, one of the moves that ultimately pushed them toward winning the Stanley Cup in 2010.

If the Flyers decide to not move up for tonight’s first round - which begins at 7 o’clock on Versus - look for them to take a defenseman. If Dougie Hamilton (D, Niagara [OHL]) is still available, he is a can’t-miss prospect. If not, smallish offensive defenseman Ryan Murphy (Kitchener [OHL]) would be the next best bet.

SOMETHING BIG? With such an unusually large salary cap number to play with, after the NHL officially set next year’s number at $63.4 million, one had to think that the Flyers might not be finished in trying to acquire a big name player.

The first guess, for some, was Brad Richards, who has repeatedly turned down requests from Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk to waive his no-movement clause before July 1 so Dallas can move his negotiating rights while they still have value.

Richards, 31, isn’t likely coming to Philly. One of the reasons Holmgren said he wanted to make Thursday’s moves was to clear out their glutton of centers.

Holmgren might be willing to make an exception for Steven Stamkos.

From what I’m told by sources, that isn’t as far-fetched as it sounds. Upon hearing so on Thursday, the logical side of my brain instantly wrote off the possibility. The more people I talk to, the more it seems like it could be a possibility.

Stamkos, still just 21, is easily one of the NHL’s three best players already. He has a league-best 96 goals in the last two seasons. He was named a finalist for the Ted Lindsay Award as league MVP as voted by the players.

Stamkos is believed to be looking at something in the $7 million per season range, which sounds awful low.

Stamkos said in an interview on Wednesday in Las Vegas that he believed his negotiations with the Lightning on an extension were “close.” Still, one has to wonder why the two sides haven’t been able to come together. Tampa Bay’s season has been over for nearly a month and he should have been the team’s top priority.

Personally, I don’t see a way that the Flyers - or any team - would acquire his rights via a trade, unless the Stamkos camp flat out tells the Lightning that they have no interest in re-signing or that the numbers just won’t work.

A much stronger option, though, is for someone to try to sign Stamkos to an offer sheet.

Lightning GM Steve Yzerman said on Wednesday that the team is “prepared for anything.”

It has long been reported that the Maple Leafs - and it should be noted that Toronto is Stamkos’ hometown team - under general manager Brian Burke would be willing to put in an offer sheet for Stamkos if the opportunity presented itself. It has been reported that Burke could offer as much as $9 million per season for Stamkos.

First, that cannot happen until July 1, when Stamkos officially becomes a restricted free agent. Second, the Lightning can choose to match any offer sheet or walk away and accept the compensation.

The compensation would be 4 first round draft picks, one pick per year for four years.

While the Lightning have plenty of cap room to match any offer, another source familiar with Tampa Bay’s operation said Tampa Bay may not have the financial capability of matching an offer because of their commitment to captain Vinny Lecavalier, who is contracted to collect $10 million per season for each of the next 5 years.

Throw in the small market team’s long-term deals on the table with Marty St. Louis and Ryan Malone, their limited gate success and unwillingness to spend to the salary cap limit and the discussion becomes all that more interesting.

That’s where the Flyers may come into play. By trading Mike Richards and Jeff Carter on Thursday, they also dealt exactly $108.9 million dollars worth of long-term commitments off their books. That’s a big number. Ed Snider could surely be convinced to spend a good portion of that on Stamkos if the opportunity were to present itself.

Here’s one thing I can guarantee you: Stamkos’ name has come up in the Flyers’ organizational plans. This rumor, for sure, has legs. This is something to keep an eye on.

HELLO, LEINO: The Flyers will likely have a deal in place with Leino before leaving Minnesota this weekend.

Just a few days ago, it seemed nearly impossible that the Flyers would have the space to re-sign Leino. That’s all changed now. And him and his agent have sat patiently since November, constantly being re-assured by the Flyers that things will work out.

Leino seemed to be a little frustrated by the NHL’s tagging rule which prevented him from being re-signed all the way back around Thanksgiving. Leino was forced to swallow hard again in February when the Flyers acquired Kris Versteeg to completely dash any hope that he could be re-signed before the season ended.

All the while, Leino has remained a quiet supporter of Holmgren’s job and has made it very clear he would like to remain in Philadelphia.

The two sides have always remained close on a number, which is reportedly between $2.5 million and $3 million per season.

Leino has been in his native Finland for a few weeks and has been unavailable for comment. His agent, Bill Zito, is in the Twin Cities for this weekend’s draft. Look for the two sides to hammer out a deal very soon.

FREE AGENCY: Depending on what moves the Flyers make, they should have money to pursue a few free agents.

While you could go up and down the free agent lists and throw out possibilities, here’s one name to remember: Michael Ryder.

Ryder, who just captured the Stanley Cup with the Bruins, might be a great fit for the Flyers. He is supposedly a player that has piqued the interest of Holmgren for a few years. Ryder will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Ryder, 31, is coming off a three-year deal with Boston which paid him $12 million. He was overpaid for his production. Boston signed him from Montreal thinking he would build on the 58 point season he posted in 2006-07. His totals in Boston? 53 points in 2008-09, 33 points in 82 games in 2009-10, and 41 points in 2010-11.

Ryder came alive in the playoffs, though, for Boston. He collected 17 points in 25 playoff games compared to 41 in 79 regular season contests.

GOT A LIL’ CAPTAIN IN YOU? Just a few hours after captain Mike Richards was dealt, many thought the search was already on for the Flyers’ next bearer of the “C.”

While Danny Briere, Kimmo Timonen and Chris Pronger have all worn the “C” in other cities, the logical choice appears to be Pronger. He has been the team's de facto captain in Richards' absence over the last two years.

It is unclear when the Flyers could make an announcement about a new captain. Pronger was not available for comment on Thursday but said he will address the media on Friday.

Holmgren said on Thursday that he “hasn’t even begun to broad the subject with Peter Laviolette.” Laviolette is in Minnesota for the Flyers’ draft this weekend.

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    good shit in that article. gotta think there will be some trades tonight/this weekend
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    i'm even happier today about these moves. We'll miss there production but in the end i think these trades will define Holmgren in a good way!
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    good shit in that article. gotta think there will be some trades tonight/this weekend

Frank did his homework

I dont think they're done either

Love to see Versteeg go..I didnt like that trade when they made it

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,369
    I love trading Versteeg to move up to #3. Really hope that happens. Or just dump him somewhere. Maybe, in a dump.

Stamkos would obviously be incredible to sign here, but 4 #1 draft choices? Damn. Talk about mortgaging the future.

Damn, I'm so happy Carter is gone. :D:D:D
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    I love trading Versteeg to move up to #3. Really hope that happens. Or just dump him somewhere. Maybe, in a dump.

Stamkos would obviously be incredible to sign here, but 4 #1 draft choices? Damn. Talk about mortgaging the future.

Damn, I'm so happy Carter is gone. :D:D:D
    I wish Hartnell didn't have a no trade clause. He's one guy i'd love to see leave.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    not often..however the rangers are buying out their captain this year also

so thats 2 this offseason alone

I thought the Rangers weren't going to be allowed to buy out Drury due to his knee condition and a rule in the CBA.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
    Apparently this guy had mono last summer and it hurt his draft stock. I like the fact that he slipped a bit...hopefully he will have a chip on his shoulder. Schenn will be the scorer and Couturier sounds like he's gonna be the guy to match up with the oppositions best line.

No. 8 Philadelphia Flyers

Sean Couturier

C, Drummondville (QMJHL)

Blog Projection: No. 6 - Senators

Central Scouting Ranking: No. 6 (North America - Skaters)

Resources

• Couturier may be like Doug Wickenheiser

• Couturier was unimpressive at combine

• Hockey Prospectus analyzes how best to fix the Jackets this summer

• What went wrong with the Jackets?

Alvin Chang's By the Numbers

• Expected career production for slot: 4.7 GVT/season, 0.23 points per game (defensemen), 0.43 points per game (forwards)

• It can be argued that they are the worst-drafting team in the NHL. While they graduate prospects to the league at an average rate, those players provide incredibly poor value relative to their draft slot. The average NHL player overachieves their draft slot by about 1.9 GVT/season, since a large majority of players never reach the league. But the Jackets prospects who play in the NHL overachieve their draft position by an average of 0.002 GVT/season.

Gare Joyce's Breakdown

Not an Aaron Rodgers-like slide but maybe a disappointment he didn't go higher. Couturier could cite all kinds of real reasons for a drop-off in play but expectations in the industry are bigger than mono, poor support and ennui associated with third year in major junior. A bounceback with a new setting and pro challenge are a real possibility. His role was somewhat limited at the world juniors but the more he was asked to do, the better he looked.

Grant Sonier's Scouting Take

In the Gatineau series of the QMJHL playoffs he was clearly the target and he answered anyone who questioned or criticized his character. He needs to improve his skating but he has lots of room to grow stronger and better on that count.
    so you're telling me there's a chance....

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/fly ... d=15585797
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... nhl-wp8115

Blue Jackets send diplomatic envoy to hold Jeff Carter’s hand
    By Greg Wyshynski

blue_jackets_send_diplomatic_envoy_to_hold_jeff_carters_hand.jpg

There's no question Jeff Carter(notes) was crushed when GM Paul Holmgren told him that the Philadelphia Flyers had traded him to the Columbus Blue Jackets.

"He was short [with me]. He's normally a very quiet kid to begin with, but he was very upset," said Holmgren about his phone call to Carter.

Carter's agent, Rick Curran, claims his client's anger stems from having been "assured him that he should not be concerned" with being traded, having signed an 11-year, $58 million contract extension last November.

"I was in the room and I'm not sure I would word it that way," said Holmgren.

Whatever the case, Carter's gone silent since the deal, his simmering anger towards the Flyers evidently having prevented him or his representation from making even the most pithy, perfunctory acknowledgment to the Columbus fans that he's committed to winning or looking forward to the challenge or whatever other canned quote you want to toss out there.

From Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch:

It's hard for me to fathom that his agent, Rick Curran, hasn't produced some sort of press release including Carter quotes. You know, something along the lines of "I'm very excited for a new opportunity, and I can't wait to get settled in Columbus."

Trust me, agents have been cranking out "quotes" like this for many years now.

I've spoken to five agents about this situation. They can't believe it. One said: "He's got to turn off his emotions for 10 minutes and make a phone call."

Or perhaps he'll just wait until the Blue Jackets send a diplomatic envoy to his house in order to help him locate his smile. Which they've apparently done.

According to Portzline:

Multiple sources from around the NHL have confirmed today that a Blue Jackets contingent, led by GM Scott Howson, is traveling to meet with newly-acquired center Jeff Carter today.

One source indicated that majority owner John P. McConnell and captain Rick Nash(notes) are with Howson, that they were traveling to Philadelphia. Neither Howson nor Nash immediately responded to text messages from The Dispatch seeking comment. Another source said that Blue Jackets forward R.J. Umberger(notes) plans to meet the contingent and Carter in Philadelphia.

(Can't believe the Blue Jackets didn't include Boomer the Cannon on that travel list. You know, to show how excited the team is to get him.)

Please keep in mind that Jeff Carter is a 26-year-old professional athlete. This is different than, say, being a child who just discovered he or she has to live with their second-favorite parent after a messy divorce.

Some might say: "But what if you were traded from your job to a place that's 10 times worse, huh?! Wouldn't you feel the same way?!"

What a stupid hypothetical. Here's a clue: Jeff Carter had to know that despite his hefty contract — with the extremely desirable cap hit — the Flyers needed to cut payroll in order to bring in the high-priced goaltender that the Boss of Bosses wanted to bring in. His no-trade clause hadn't kicked in yet. He was vulnerable and, worse yet, a redundancy in the Flyers' lineup thanks to their strength at center.

Yes, it sucks he was that cap casualty, but cowboy-up and accept that it's a business, and start acting in good faith with your new customers.

From Bob Hunter of the Dispatch:

Carter could help reverse the trend by simply doing what most traded players do in these situations - act like a grown-up. It's easy to understand why he is ticked at the Flyers; he signed an 11-year contract with the team because he wanted to be in Philadelphia, and had been told that the trade rumors were only that: rumors. But Carter's petulance is undermining Howson's efforts to improve the team that he is going to play for and if he doesn't at least act like he wants to be here, Carter might even doom it to more losing.

Early in the franchise's history, Columbus was actually a destination for some players. Many saw a bright hockey future in a clean, livable city with an underrated night life and a great family atmosphere. The city hasn't changed, but poor draft picks, bad decisions and a history of losing have made the franchise harder and harder to sell.

The Carter deal should help the team tremendously, but it only added to the team's perception problem. As unfair as it must seem to Howson, he is back at the plate with the game on the line again.

From Light the Lamp, a Blue Jackets blog:

He's got to understand that this is a critical time for the Jackets --- Howson wants to get he, Nash, Umberger and the boys even more help. His public buy in will only help Howson get that help. The longer he waits to speak the longer the negative speculation continues and the snowball gets bigger.

It's time to man up. I know it sucks but as cliche as it is -- it's pro sports. It's part of the biz. The chances of any player spending their career with one team these days are remote. Even with a NTC.

We here in Columbus are excited as hell to have ya - give it a chance.

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    4 #1 draft choices isn't much for a team that is a cup contender year in and year out

the meat and potatoes of your draft/minor leagues is built though day 2
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

metsfan wrote:
    4 #1 draft choices isn't much for a team that is a cup contender year in and year out

I dont see it happening

Dont get me wrong would love to see them take a chance and sign him but I doubt it happens

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,369
    metsfan wrote:

#1 choices are the known stars coming into the NHL, more than any other sport.

The Eagles nearly destroyed their franchise by trading away all their top draft choices in the 70s - although Dick Vermeil somehow got them to a Super Bowl anyway.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    metsfan wrote:

I dont see it happening

Dont get me wrong would love to see them take a chance and sign him but I doubt it happens
    i don't see it either just cause stamkos IS the bolts franchise. if the flyers wanna make a big splash they should go after parise. it cost them 4 1st rounders but thats nothing for a cup contender.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

Powe Traded to Minn for their 3rd round pick in 2013

Good penalty killer

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists ... amkos.html

Flyers look as if they're ready to go after Stamkos

LAST THURSDAY, Jeff Carter was sent packing as a salary-cap casualty.

Best friend and captain Mike Richards went only 30 minutes after him, in a move that also - at least temporarily - cleared valuable cap space.

Yesterday, the Flyers dealt the rights to restricted free-agent center Darroll Powe to Minnesota in exchange for a 2013 third-round pick. Powe, a heart-and-soul-type player whom Paul Holmgren called "one of the most underrated players in the league" in May, wasn't asking for an exorbitant sum of money.

Powe earned $725,000 last season. He probably was looking for a raise to somewhere in the $1 million neighborhood. Nothing earth-shattering.

Earlier in the day, Holmgren announced that the Flyers had come to a new, 2-year agreement with fellow restricted free agent Andreas Nodl for $845,000 per year. That's interesting, because it's a $5,000 pay cut from what Nodl earned last year, despite finishing his first full NHL season with 22 points.

Holmgren finished off the day by not extending a qualifying offer to restricted free-agent forward Dan Carcillo, meaning Carcillo will become an unrestricted free agent on Friday.

Notice a trend? Something doesn't add up.

The Flyers, who have plenty of wiggle room now, with Richards and Carter off the books, are stockpiling money. And it doesn't mean that they won't spend to the gills this year.

Holmgren got incredible value for a player he didn't think was worth the money he was asking for with a third-round pick, but since when is one of the "most underrated players in the league" suddenly not worth an extra $300K or $400K?

Carcillo's qualifying offer wouldn't have needed to be much more than a slight raise.

As it stands now, with negotiations in the works for Ville Leino and restricted free agents Wayne Simmonds and Jakub Voracek, the Flyers have approximately $8.3 million in salary-cap space, with Michael Leighton stashed in the AHL.

That's enough to do some serious damage on the free-agent market. Or, if you're reading the tea leaves along with me, maybe even the restricted free-agent market.

Two different team sources reiterated last night that the Flyers would be very interested in Tampa Bay's Steven Stamkos if he remains on the market on Friday morning.

Reports indicated that the Lightning and Stamkos' agents have had ongoing discussions, though that doesn't say much, knowing that the sides have been talking for more than a month.

When you add to the equation that the Lightning - which was reported to have lost $20 million to $25 million last season - might have financial limitations, and the reports that Stamkos might not want to play in Tampa Bay, the Flyers could have a real jackpot.

Flyers officials are not permitted to comment publicly on any possibility with Stamkos, as it would violate the NHL's tampering policy about players under contract with another team.

Stamkos, 21, has netted a league-high 96 goals over the last two seasons. Many consider him among the three best forwards in the NHL.

Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said recently he is "prepared for anything to happen," though even if they aren't close on a contract extension with their star player, they would be unlikely to trade him before Friday. Tampa Bay is reported to have offered Stamkos a long-term deal worth $7 million per season.

If Friday hits and Stamkos is without a contract, any team can put in an offer sheet, which could be in the range of $9 million to $10 million per season.

If Stamkos decided to accept an offer, say, from the Flyers or the hungry Toronto Maple Leafs, sources say Tampa Bay would not have the financial flexibility to match it. It owes Vincent Lecavalier $50 million, Marty St. Louis $22.5 million and Ryan Malone $13.5 million, and just signed Eric Brewer to a $15.3 million deal yesterday.

To be sure, Yzerman is in a pickle. Should he trade his top player now to get return he can use next season? Should he risk letting Stamkos go for the compensation? His hands are tied with money. Stamkos holds all of the cards The compensation for any restricted player with a deal over $7 million is four first-round picks.

Let's face it: The Flyers have dangled their draft picks in recent years like candy. If Kris Versteeg is worth a first- and third-round pick, Stamkos could surely net four firsts without much hesitation.

Stamkos would instantaneously vault the Flyers back into the Stanley Cup contender category. So, is it a pipedream? Or closer to reality? We'll know on Friday.

Call me crazy. But my sources aren't. *

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    uhhh ... the article doesn't mention bryzgalov ... it's gonna cost you guys $7-$8 mill per for him alone ...
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    polaris_x wrote:
    uhhh ... the article doesn't mention bryzgalov ... it's gonna cost you guys $7-$8 mill per for him alone ...

Bryzgalov deal is already done and is factored into what the Flyers have left on their cap space.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Bryzgalov's $5.667 mil cap hit is figure into that $8.3 cap space number in the article.

But, unless the Flyers dump some other salaries (or walk away from Simmonds, Voracek & Leino), they don't have a chance in hell to make room for Stamkos.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    pjhawks wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Bryzgalov deal is already done and is factored into what the Flyers have left on their cap space.

oh ... i didn't read it in the article ... thx
    Stamkos will be a flyer like i said last week i can feel it in my bones.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889

who else goes?
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

who else goes?
    Versteg, Bob and maybe a blue liner.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Go Birds!!!!

who else goes?
    Versteg, Bob and maybe a blue liner.

I'd love to see it but I'd be shocked it if happened

I heard 5pm today they can start negotiations with RFA's and FA's but cant officially announce anything until Friday

What story was it ? I just see the whole webapge

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/9 ... r-sullivan
    Just talk but i heard Frank say on the radio that maybe a Bob and the new kid from LA for the exclusive rights to Stamkos. I just think that Homer wouldn't bring in a stud goalie and trade 2 starts without a bigger picture in mind. Were close here and there's no way u trade both of them without having something up your sleeve.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/9802/countdown-to-july-1-are-flyers-targeting-stamkos-whats-next-for-sullivan
    Just talk but i heard Frank say on the radio that maybe a Bob and the new kid from LA for the exclusive rights to Stamkos. I just think that Homer wouldn't bring in a stud goalie and trade 2 starts without a bigger picture in mind. Were close here and there's no way u trade both of them without having something up your sleeve.

Tim Panaccio on CSN Philly says it's unlikely but the more i think about it the more i think they might be making a play here. the key is what number Stamkos will be looking for. $10 million can't happen in Philly with the other money already tied up but maybe $7 for a long term deal can get it done? Ed Snider is getting old (i think almost 80 now?) - maybe he is taking the Phils example and saying fuck it and do whatever it takes to win next year. still some wasted money on the roster that can be sliced off (versteeg for $3 million is a travesty). would be awesome if it happens.