The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Leafs sign Ville Leino to multi year deal

something tells me we are gonna get a nice laugh out of the terms of that deal
    the pic with this article is classic. I have no idea how to post pics.

Jaromir Jagr, arguably the most accomplished European-trained player in history, is set to make an NHL comeback with the Philadelphia Flyers next season after a three-year absence. But the 6-foot-3, 240-pound Czech superstar, who turns 40 in February, hasn't been occupying a rocking chair during this break from North America, instead continuing to play at a high level for Omsk of the Kontinental Hockey League.

Few current NHL players have enjoyed as distinguished a career as Jagr. The fifth overall selection by Pittsburgh in 1990, he quickly won two Stanley Cups upon entering the league. Jagr led the league in scoring four years in a row, five times total, and joined Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux as the only players to win the Art Ross Trophy between 1981 and 2001. An eight-time All-Star, Jagr sits 12th all time in NHL goal scoring, 14th in assists and ninth in points -- only 42 behind Joe Sakic.

Jagr's last NHL season was in 2007-08 with the Rangers, when he led the team with 25 goals, 46 assists and 71 points. Can we still expect as much from him today?

We can answer this question by applying KHL-to-NHL league translations, a concept first explained in great detail in Hockey Prospectus 2010-11. Using players who have previously made the jump, like Alexander Semin, Evgeni Malkin and, more recently, Nikolay Zherdev and Jiri Hudler, we can calculate how much of a player's scoring is statistically likely to drop off due to the increased competition and potentially reduced ice time in the NHL.

Back From Russia, With Love
    Jaromir Jagr's totals in the KHL, and how they might translate to NHL totals.

Season Team GP G A PTS
    2008-09 Omsk 55 25 28 53
    2009-10 Omsk 51 22 20 42
    2010-11 Omsk 49 19 32 51
    KHL Total xxx 155 66 80 146
    NHL Equivalent xxx 82 26 41 67

Normally players jumping to the NHL from almost any other professional league can expect to lose at least half their scoring, but not when they jump from the KHL. In fact, recent history has shown that players retain roughly three-quarters of their goal scoring and almost all of their assists when making the leap, suggesting that Jagr has remained the NHL equivalent of a consistent 70-point scorer this entire time, as you can see by the totals at right.

To further reinforce this estimation, we can use the Snepsts System to search all of history to find players Jagr's age with era-adjusted scoring totals similar to his at the time of his departure, and see how they did in the following three seasons.

The 10 closest and most appropriate historical comparables were Marcel Dionne, Mark Recchi, Milt Schmidt, Stan Mikita, Martin St. Louis, Gordie Howe, John Bucyk, Jean Beliveau, Steve Yzerman and Phil Esposito. (Not bad company, huh?) Prorated to 82 games and adjusted to the modern-era scoring, an approximation of how Jagr would have done in the NHL these past three seasons, based on his closest statistical peers, might look like this:

2008-09: 28 goals, 46 assists, 74 points
    2009-10: 30-48--78
    2010-11: 27-44--71

Two separate statistical approaches have pegged Jagr's expected point production to be a legitimate threat for 70 points, but is it really possible to score 70 points when you're turning 40?

The short answer: yes. Howe scored 44 goals and 103 points at age 40 for Detroit. Two other players have topped 80, including Bucyk and our modern-day leader, Teemu Selanne.

Age is Just a Very, Very Prominent Number
    The most points by a player age 39-plus since 2000:

Age Player Season Team GP G A PTS
    40 Teemu Selanne 2010-11 Anaheim 73 31 49 80
    39 Adam Oates 2001-02 Wash-Phil 80 14 64 78
    39 Brett Hull 2003-04 Detroit 81 25 43 68
    39 Al MacInnis 2002-03 St. Louis 80 16 52 68
    40 Mark Messier 2000-01 NY Rangers 82 24 43 67
    40 Nicklas Lidstrom 2010-11 Detroit 82 16 46 62
    40 Mark Recchi 2008-09 T.Bay-Bos 80 23 38 61
    40 Ray Bourque 2000-01 Colorado 80 7 52 59
    39 Ron Francis 2002-03 Carolina 82 22 35 57
    39 Joe Nieuwendyk 2005-06 Florida 65 25 30 56

The precedent has clearly been established by players like Selanne, Adam Oates, Brett Hull and Mark Messier. With a 70-point season, Jagr would fit in quite nicely on this list -- with or without his trademark mullet.

The biggest challenge for Jagr is going to be playing the full 82 games, something he did consistently as an NHLer but hasn't had to do in years. An inability to play the full schedule due to fatigue or injury is likely the biggest obstacle to his achieving the 70-point mark.

But the bottom line is that Jagr, one of history's most exciting offensive machines for so many years, still has the ability to score 70 points based on an NHL translation of his recent KHL scoring data, the historical performance of his statistical peers and the precedent set by today's graybearded scorers like Selanne and Recchi. You could do far worse.

Robert Vollman is one of the original authors of the Hockey Prospectus website and an author of the Hockey Prospectus 2010-11 annual. He writes regularly for ESPN Insider.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    I was at the carcillo/talbot game. Until game 6 of last year's NLCS it was the worst sporting event I have ever attended.

The :shh: game

crosby scored literally a minute after that fight. It was all downhill from there. Brutal.

so now that versteeg is gone do you think handzus is in play? not that I'd be excited about that signing

Yeah horrible game..so pumped to so low. Reminded of the Eagles-TB game. a kick to the balls

Possibly

The Flyers have about $4m in cap space, without accounting for potential LTI relief for Laperriere and assuming Schenn on roster.
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    Now they're saying Leino NOT signed

The Fixer wrote:
    the pic with this article is classic. I have no idea how to post pics.

Jaromir Jagr, arguably the most accomplished European-trained player in history, is set to make an NHL comeback with the Philadelphia Flyers next season after a three-year absence. But the 6-foot-3, 240-pound Czech superstar, who turns 40 in February, hasn't been occupying a rocking chair during this break from North America, instead continuing to play at a high level for Omsk of the Kontinental Hockey League.

Few current NHL players have enjoyed as distinguished a career as Jagr. The fifth overall selection by Pittsburgh in 1990, he quickly won two Stanley Cups upon entering the league. Jagr led the league in scoring four years in a row, five times total, and joined Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux as the only players to win the Art Ross Trophy between 1981 and 2001. An eight-time All-Star, Jagr sits 12th all time in NHL goal scoring, 14th in assists and ninth in points -- only 42 behind Joe Sakic.

Jagr's last NHL season was in 2007-08 with the Rangers, when he led the team with 25 goals, 46 assists and 71 points. Can we still expect as much from him today?

We can answer this question by applying KHL-to-NHL league translations, a concept first explained in great detail in Hockey Prospectus 2010-11. Using players who have previously made the jump, like Alexander Semin, Evgeni Malkin and, more recently, Nikolay Zherdev and Jiri Hudler, we can calculate how much of a player's scoring is statistically likely to drop off due to the increased competition and potentially reduced ice time in the NHL.

Back From Russia, With Love
    Jaromir Jagr's totals in the KHL, and how they might translate to NHL totals.

Season Team GP G A PTS
    2008-09 Omsk 55 25 28 53
    2009-10 Omsk 51 22 20 42
    2010-11 Omsk 49 19 32 51
    KHL Total xxx 155 66 80 146
    NHL Equivalent xxx 82 26 41 67

Normally players jumping to the NHL from almost any other professional league can expect to lose at least half their scoring, but not when they jump from the KHL. In fact, recent history has shown that players retain roughly three-quarters of their goal scoring and almost all of their assists when making the leap, suggesting that Jagr has remained the NHL equivalent of a consistent 70-point scorer this entire time, as you can see by the totals at right.

To further reinforce this estimation, we can use the Snepsts System to search all of history to find players Jagr's age with era-adjusted scoring totals similar to his at the time of his departure, and see how they did in the following three seasons.

The 10 closest and most appropriate historical comparables were Marcel Dionne, Mark Recchi, Milt Schmidt, Stan Mikita, Martin St. Louis, Gordie Howe, John Bucyk, Jean Beliveau, Steve Yzerman and Phil Esposito. (Not bad company, huh?) Prorated to 82 games and adjusted to the modern-era scoring, an approximation of how Jagr would have done in the NHL these past three seasons, based on his closest statistical peers, might look like this:

2008-09: 28 goals, 46 assists, 74 points
    2009-10: 30-48--78
    2010-11: 27-44--71

Two separate statistical approaches have pegged Jagr's expected point production to be a legitimate threat for 70 points, but is it really possible to score 70 points when you're turning 40?

The short answer: yes. Howe scored 44 goals and 103 points at age 40 for Detroit. Two other players have topped 80, including Bucyk and our modern-day leader, Teemu Selanne.

Age is Just a Very, Very Prominent Number
    The most points by a player age 39-plus since 2000:

Age Player Season Team GP G A PTS
    40 Teemu Selanne 2010-11 Anaheim 73 31 49 80
    39 Adam Oates 2001-02 Wash-Phil 80 14 64 78
    39 Brett Hull 2003-04 Detroit 81 25 43 68
    39 Al MacInnis 2002-03 St. Louis 80 16 52 68
    40 Mark Messier 2000-01 NY Rangers 82 24 43 67
    40 Nicklas Lidstrom 2010-11 Detroit 82 16 46 62
    40 Mark Recchi 2008-09 T.Bay-Bos 80 23 38 61
    40 Ray Bourque 2000-01 Colorado 80 7 52 59
    39 Ron Francis 2002-03 Carolina 82 22 35 57
    39 Joe Nieuwendyk 2005-06 Florida 65 25 30 56

The precedent has clearly been established by players like Selanne, Adam Oates, Brett Hull and Mark Messier. With a 70-point season, Jagr would fit in quite nicely on this list -- with or without his trademark mullet.

The biggest challenge for Jagr is going to be playing the full 82 games, something he did consistently as an NHLer but hasn't had to do in years. An inability to play the full schedule due to fatigue or injury is likely the biggest obstacle to his achieving the 70-point mark.

But the bottom line is that Jagr, one of history's most exciting offensive machines for so many years, still has the ability to score 70 points based on an NHL translation of his recent KHL scoring data, the historical performance of his statistical peers and the precedent set by today's graybearded scorers like Selanne and Recchi. You could do far worse.

Robert Vollman is one of the original authors of the Hockey Prospectus website and an author of the Hockey Prospectus 2010-11 annual. He writes regularly for ESPN Insider.

Interesting..

Growing my mullet as we speak

WTF is going on..

Ville Leino has agreed to terms with BUF, 6 years for $27M.

I wonder if the crowd will do the whistling thing whenever jagr gets the puck.

Ah, the good ole days

Re Mullet: so you're a pens fan now?
    The Fixer wrote:
    I wonder if the crowd will do the whistling thing whenever jagr gets the puck.

Ah, the good ole days

Re Mullet: so you're a pens fan now?

Or play "dude looks like a lady" when he comes onto the ice

Leino's agent deserves a fuckin medal

$4.5M a year...WOW

$4.5M a year...WOW

that is absurd. how many years?
    The Fixer wrote:

$4.5M a year...WOW

6yrs !!

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,369
    Just send me a roster when it's all over. :?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Just send me a roster when it's all over. :?

I know right

hello-my-name-is.jpg

The Fixer wrote:

$4.5M a year...WOW

6yrs !!

holy shit. buffalo right? fucking dummies. he will fit in perfectly up there with the rest of their soft forwards
  • The Fixer wrote:
    Talbot 5 yrs, $9 million.

Wow so it looks like the Flyers have a thing today for overpaying former Pittsburgh Cup winners. :lol:

Let me know how that works out.

your credibility was ruined after you told us all the pens/lightning series was over after game 1.

beat it

Well if you want to get technical, I said it was over before it started. :lol:
    From Matt Barnaby on twitter about Leino...

Omg 27 million for leino. Remember that word overpay?? Almost 5 million per-wow!! Congrats to pegula and buffalo . He wants to win

Well if you want to get technical, I said it was over before it started. :lol:

at least you're cool about it. I said flyers would beat boston in 6 :shock:
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,431
    The Fixer wrote:

$4.5M a year...WOW

6yrs !!

and suddenly a new contender for the worst contract in sports has joined the discussion - insanity.
    pjhawks wrote:
    and suddenly a new contender for the worst contract in sports has joined the discussion - insanity.

I agree..no wonder why Homer backed off

Good for him and his agent...bad for BUFF

:lol:

jaromir_jagr_joins_philadelphia_flyers_rejecting_penguins_over_money.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

he looks like one of the Lost Boys
    The Fixer wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

he looks like one of the Lost Boys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InRw0Pm89eg

:D

hahahahaha.

tell me he doesn't look like the one character. wasnt his name Michael? I used to love that movie when I was 10 years old
    The Fixer wrote:
    hahahahaha.

tell me he doesn't look like the one character. wasnt his name Michael? I used to love that movie when I was 10 years old

Yeah me too

Michael was Corey Haim's brother in that..I believe thats him

best dog name ever in it ..Nanook

The Fixer wrote:
    hahahahaha.

Yeah me too

Nanook, the Frog Brothers, and Keifer Sutherland as a bad guy. That's a recipe for success
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    hahahahaha.

Yeah me too

Nanook, the Frog Brothers, and Keifer Sutherland as a bad guy. That's a recipe for success

I haven't even attempted the 2nd one

Someone would have to force me to watch it at this point

just got a text that gagne is close to a deal with flyers
    WTF...From twitter :

Sources say Calgary going in with a big pitch for B.Richards. believe it or not...Flyers in as well. Not sure how. very interesting.

WTF...From twitter :

Sources say Calgary going in with a big pitch for B.Richards. believe it or not...Flyers in as well. Not sure how. very interesting.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I don't want that dude. Let the rangers overpay for him
    Craziest off season ever