The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    MFCarissa wrote:
    All this talk is giving me a semi. Can't you guys just say there's no fucking chance of this happening so I don't get a hard-on?

There's no fucking chance of this happening. According to CapGeek, the Flyers have $8,281,905 in cap space right now, and the Lightning have $21,836,417. The Lightning will match any offer.

True but you forget to mention that Tampa lost $20-25 million last year. There is no way in hell they are spending up to the cap. They also have about 4 or 5 players to sign (or add to roster) to be able to field a team.

The Flyers have a shot for the sheer fact that they have some flexibility. I'm not saying its going to happen but its a possibility give the Flyers cap and draft situation.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,369
    It's kind of strange how a couple of Red Wings fans are obsessed with coming in here to put down the Flyers. I mean, with all their success, Wings fans should treat the Flyers like the United States treats Costa Rica. i.e., completely ignore it :?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    It's kind of strange how a couple of Red Wings fans are obsessed with coming in here to put down the Flyers. I mean, with all their success, Wings fans should treat the Flyers like the United States treats Costa Rica. i.e., completely ignore it :?

Exactly. Hence, why it's funny.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Ok #Flyers fans, I'm told that if the Flyers decide to give Stamkos an offer sheet it's for $115 mil over 12 years with a full no-trade.

From Twitter
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    Ok #Flyers fans, I'm told that if the Flyers decide to give Stamkos an offer sheet it's for $115 mil over 12 years with a full no-trade.

From Twitter
    That's alot of coin to manage. I'd love to see how Homer would structure that.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    I can't quote posts on my phone, but I'd say the exact same thing to Rangers fans, Wings fans, or anyone who thought they could get Stamkos with $8 million in cap room and other players who still need to be signed.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.

From Twitter
    That's alot of coin to manage. I'd love to see how Homer would structure that.

Would take a helluva effort to get everything done

Then if TB takes the full 7 days they could lose out on other free agents

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

free agent class this year is weak and overpriced ... can't believe caps gave laich the deal he got ...
    polaris_x wrote:

free agent class this year is weak and overpriced ... can't believe caps gave laich the deal he got ...

Agreed, I think it has a lot to do with the minimum cap number being so high and teams "struggling" to reach it. Also part of the reason I think the Flyers have the scratch to offer Stamkos some money. Teams like Florida and Colorado are going to have to eat some higher priced salaries to make the minimum.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

chromiam wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Agreed, I think it has a lot to do with the minimum cap number being so high and teams "struggling" to reach it. Also part of the reason I think the Flyers have the scratch to offer Stamkos some money. Teams like Florida and Colorado are going to have to eat some higher priced salaries to make the minimum.

Yeah...I think the bottom floor is $42 million ?

Ive heard Ryder,Madden and Cole on the Flyers radar...not exactly studs

chromiam wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

Yeah...I think the bottom floor is $42 million ?

Actually its $48.3 mil, $9 mil higher than the cap ceiling was after the lockout (amazing). And no, none of those guys stand out, but could fill roles on the team, especially with the departure of Powe and the Flyers apparent weakness in the faceoff circle.

Admin

Ok..I knew they raised it

I honestly think whatever offer sheet Stamkos gets TB will match

I think so too unless a team offers a one or two year at or close to the $12 mil max. Panaccio seems to think that this is what the Flyers are mulling (offering a one year deal) that basically precludes Tampa from matching and then worry about a long term deal before the season starts.

And you know that Snider isn't about embarrassing another team so I don't see the Flyers putting out an offer sheet unless they're serious (see Chris Gratton offer sheet/trade).

Admin

chromiam wrote:

I think so too unless a team offers a one or two year at or close to the $12 mil max. Panaccio seems to think that this is what the Flyers are mulling (offering a one year deal) that basically precludes Tampa from matching and then worry about a long term deal before the season starts.

And you know that Snider isn't about embarrassing another team so I don't see the Flyers putting out an offer sheet unless they're serious (see Chris Gratton offer sheet/trade).

That would be interesting with the 1 year deal then sign him long term later on. I wonder how much Stamkos wants to play in TB ?

I know they owe a boat load of money to Vinny and St.Louis

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    stamkos is a real gamble ... you are basically putting a window of a couple of years to win it all ... you basically forego your future with draft picks and future salary commitments ...

i think if the flyers offered stamkos ... one of those ridiculous kovalchuk type deals ... TB should probably take the draft picks ... and use the money to sign some other guys ...
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837

Langenbrunner too. Seems like they've been after him for a decade
    MFCarissa wrote:
    I can't quote posts on my phone, but I'd say the exact same thing to Rangers fans, Wings fans, or anyone who thought they could get Stamkos with $8 million in cap room and other players who still need to be signed.

Yeah, they could never trade players to make cap space :?

It's a long shot that they sign stamkos but to say it's irrational is shortsighted
    The Fixer wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:

It's a long shot that they sign stamkos but to say it's irrational is shortsighted

They already traded Richards and Carter to make cap space, and they still have yet to sign the RFAs they acquired from those trades. Even if they had $9 or 10 million to offer Stamkos, do you think a team like Winnipeg with $28 million to spend wouldn't offer more?
    MFCarissa wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    MFCarissa wrote:

They already traded Richards and Carter to make cap space, and they still have yet to sign the RFAs they acquired from those trades. Even if they had $9 or 10 million to offer Stamkos, do you think a team like Winnipeg with $28 million to spend wouldn't offer more?

they traded richards and carter?? wow, thanks for letting me know.

the flyers can trade the RFAs. and others that have been rumored to be dealt like bobrovsky, versteeg, and carle.

jesus christ, it's not rocket science. they have a lot of cap space, they can make moves to get more cap space (or go over the cap and make the moves after the fact). what's so hard to understand about that?

philly and/or toronto will be doling out offer sheets. will be interesting which one stamkos picks. he will probably end up with tampa, but it's gonna be an interesting 24-48 hours.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    chromiam wrote:

I heard that earlier also heard Tampa could bone us and wait the full 7 days and then match. Which in that time all the real good free agents would be gone already.
    Go Birds!!!!
    chromiam wrote:

I heard that earlier also heard Tampa could bone us and wait the full 7 days and then match. Which in that time all the real good free agents would be gone already.

tampa is screwed if stamkos signs an offer sheet with anyone. they lost between 20 and 30 million last year. they are bleeding money.

stamkos has yzerman bent over like zed bent over marcellus wallace in pulp fiction
    The Fixer wrote:

the flyers can trade the RFAs. and others that have been rumored to be dealt like bobrovsky, versteeg, and carle.

jesus christ, it's not rocket science. they have a lot of cap space, they can make moves to get more cap space (or go over the cap and make the moves after the fact). what's so hard to understand about that?

philly and/or toronto will be doling out offer sheets. will be interesting which one stamkos picks. he will probably end up with tampa, but it's gonna be an interesting 24-48 hours.

They actually don't have "a lot of cap space." 26 teams have more cap space than the Flyers. And you still have to replace anyone you trade, which will cost an absolute minimum of about a half million per player if you only sign rookies and garbage veterans. Unless you want to be like New Jersey after signing Kovalchuk and have to ice a 17 man roster when a few injuries occur.

They have a cap calculator on this site: http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24 You don't have to take my word for it. You can add Stamkos to the roster for $10 million and see for yourself how ridiculous it would be to make that happen.
    MFCarissa wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

They actually don't have "a lot of cap space." 26 teams have more cap space than the Flyers. And you still have to replace anyone you trade, which will cost an absolute minimum of about a half million per player if you only sign rookies and garbage veterans. Unless you want to be like New Jersey after signing Kovalchuk and have to ice a 17 man roster when a few injuries occur.

They have a cap calculator on this site: http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=24 You don't have to take my word for it. You can add Stamkos to the roster for $10 million and see for yourself how ridiculous it would be to make that happen.

You started out saying that they would never get Stamkos. Now you're saying it's irrational. I'm not saying it isn't irrational, but there is definitely a chance that they will get him. It's clear that the Flyers have never been afraid of making extremely bold moves. Not that it necessarily does anything good for them...

They have fewer cap space than most of the league because they spend more money than almost any team. Which is because they are in one of the best hockey markets (with NY & Toronto) and have an owner who is absolutely desparate to win the Cup.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Mark Howe in the Hall. Time to finally retire that #2. Way overdue.

MFCarissa wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

You started out saying that they would never get Stamkos. Now you're saying it's irrational. I'm not saying it isn't irrational, but there is definitely a chance that they will get him. It's clear that the Flyers have never been afraid of making extremely bold moves. Not that it necessarily does anything good for them...

They have fewer cap space than most of the league because they spend more money than almost any team. Which is because they are in one of the best hockey markets (with NY & Toronto) and have an owner who is absolutely desparate to win the Cup.

plus there is a max annual salary they can offer him (I think it's around 12 million). so it doesnt matter if they have 7 mill in cap space or 50 mill in cap space. They just need to get up around 9-10 million, which they are capable of doing.

now leave us alone and go start a red wings thread

I personally still don't think there is a chance at all. Yzerman has gone on record saying that the Lightning will match any offer, and the Flyers can't really offer anything that another team can't exceed. I'm just showing why it's also completely irrational to the people who do think there is a chance.
    The Fixer wrote:
    plus there is a max annual salary they can offer him (I think it's around 12 million). so it doesnt matter if they have 7 mill in cap space or 50 mill in cap space. They just need to get up around 9-10 million, which they are capable of doing.

I'm well aware of this, and it does matter. The Lightning will definitely match $9 or 10 million. It would probably take the max or close to it to actually get him. You'd have to move about a 4 million dollar contract just for Stamkos, and that's without signing anyone else that needs to be signed to complete the roster.

And I've tried that, but, unfortunately, this thread and the Rangers thread are the only ones that stay active. And Rangers fans really aren't saying anything interesting right now.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    they will offer him the sheet like lowlives...but tampa will match it...case closed

and hopefully tampa waits all 7 days on purpose
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    MFCarissa wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

I'm well aware of this, and it does matter. The Lightning will definitely match $9 or 10 million. It would probably take the max or close to it to actually get him. You'd have to move about a 4 million dollar contract just for Stamkos, and that's without signing anyone else that needs to be signed to complete the roster.

And I've tried that, but, unfortunately, this thread and the Rangers thread are the only ones that stay active. And Rangers fans really aren't saying anything interesting right now.

what can we say...we bought out drury...thats about it :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    they will offer him the sheet like lowlives...but tampa will match it...case closed

and hopefully tampa waits all 7 days on purpose

Man, if he did sign, this alone would be worth it. :lol: