The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    #NHL news. Don't take your eyes off #Flyers for 1 second. Word is they made a solid pitch to Brad Richards that may make them frontrunners.
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    I can give you guys the 411 on Lilja. Not particularly good, but not particularly bad either. He's a decent last pairing stay-at-home defenseman. He offers little to no offense. He's a big guy, but not really physical. Can be turnover prone at times, but a good shot blocker and PK-er.
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    MFCarissa wrote:
    I can give you guys the 411 on Lilja. Not particularly good, but not particularly bad either. He's a decent last pairing stay-at-home defenseman. He offers little to no offense. He's a big guy, but not really physical. Can be turnover prone at times, but a good shot blocker and PK-er.

Yeah, whether it's him or O'Donnell any difference is marginal so it's no big deal when it's a 6th d-man.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    #NHL news. Don't take your eyes off #Flyers for 1 second. Word is they made a solid pitch to Brad Richards that may make them frontrunners.

if they can create more cap..they are in

flames have 9 year 61 mil on table
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Nuttiest off aeason in recent memory.

Not sure how i feel about jagr
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    This stuff just won't die. Gotta love this franchise...doesn't always work, but they do everything they can to win.

Flyers to pursue Stamkos after all?
    Could Steven Stamkos become a member of the Flyers, after all?

Well, it's still highly doubtful, but an NHL source told The Inquirer that the Flyers will put a trade offer together for the Tampa Bay superstar if the Lightning feel they cannot sign him.

Stamkos, who has scored a league-best 96 goals over the last two years, still had not signed as of Tuesday morning.

Tampa has reportedly offered Stamkos a five-year deal for $37.5 million, a cap hit of $7.5 million per season.

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said he fully expects Stamkos to resign with the Lightning.

That said, the Flyers are prepared to make a trade proposal in the unlikely event he couldn't come to terms.

It's likely Tampa would be interested in Brayden Schenn and Sergei Bobrovsky -- among others -- and high draft picks.

Last week, the Flyers contemplated giving an offer sheet to Stamkos, but they never got serious because Tampa has the right to match any offer made to the restricted free agent.
    Apparently it will take Bob and Giroux to get stamkos.
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    The Fixer wrote:
    As much as I'd love Stamkos there's no way I'd trade Giroux.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:

Yeah, I agree. Just saw he's still only 23!!
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    I don't think we've seen what Claude is even made of yet. Kids gonna be a super star.
    Go Birds!!!!
    The Fixer wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

and Stamkos is only 21.....

I like Claude as well, and i don't think he has hit his ceiling, but i would trade him for Stamkos.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

and Stamkos is only 21.....

I like Claude as well, and i don't think he has hit his ceiling, but i would trade him for Stamkos.

giroux's cap hit is only like 3.5 million for the next 3 years. stamkos' would be 7 mill +.

not happening anyway, but I think giroux is locked up at a bargain...that's main reason why I wouldn't trade him
    Flyers ink Simmonds to two-year contract

Whatever hangup the Flyers had with getting winger Wayne Simmonds signed disappeared overnight.

The former restricted free agent signed a two-year contract on Thursday worth $3.5 million, according to a league source. That's a very nice bump over the $821,667 Simmonds made on his entry deal with the Los Angeles Kings.

Simmonds, 22, netted 14 goals for the Kings last season, and general manager Paul Holmgren has said more than once he believes the right wing is capable of more as a member of the Flyers.

"He is a rough-and-tumble, rugged winger who we think has a real upside in terms of offensive production," Holmgren said at the press conference that introduced Simmonds and two other new flyers, Jakub Voracek and Brayden Schenn. "We look for big things from Wayne."

With Simmonds' signing, all the players from the Jeff Carter and Mike Richards mega deals last month are now under contract for the coming season.

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,672
    Brayden Schenn is a dynamo, and dominated in the WJC, and I like Simmonds a lot. The Flyer fans will love him.

Couturier was a solid pickup too in the draft.

Not sure about the Tampa trade though. An offer sheet alone would score 4 first round draft picks. I also think they would be reluctant to trade him to a fellow competitor in the East. Ultimately, I would bet Tampa will make it work with Stamkos.
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Brayden Schenn is a dynamo, and dominated in the WJC, and I like Simmonds a lot. The Flyer fans will love him.

Not sure about the Tampa trade though. An offer sheet alone would score 4 first round draft picks. I also think they would be reluctant to trade him to a fellow competitor in the East. Ultimately, I would bet Tampa will make it work with Stamkos.

I agree..this team is young and has great potential plus adding a REAL goalie makes up for mistakes

Stamkos I think is staying put. I was never convinced he was coming to Philly. I am some what surprised TB is having such a hard time signing him.

MayDay10 wrote:

dude, what did you think of the leino deal? seems like your squad gave him wayyyyyyy too much money (and years)
    Im not too down on the Leino deal. he still has a ton of mileage left and he will fit into the Sabres well. He is a guy they wanted from the get-go and they plan on using him at Center. Basically they traded off Connolly for Leino and Ill take that any day of the week.
    He should definitely be healthier then Connolly

I liked Ville but he can be frustrating at times "trying to do too much" always came up with him..he would try and skate through all 5 guys

His blind drop passes at the blueline were very frustrating and lead to many odd man rushes the other way

Overall though he is a good puck handler

sounds like Afinogenov 2.0
    talking to a Hawks fan....he is happy that Carcillo is coming to town. poor guy
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... nhl-wp8989

Bryzgalov: Philadelphia has ‘waited long enough’ for Stanley Cup

Now that Ilya Bryzgalov(notes) has met the Philadelphia media (via conference call), one starts to get the sense of how much fun the next nine years (yeah, as if) are going to be with Bryz and postgame comments.

"The Eastern Conference is probably more open than the Western Conference. That's all I know," he says, despite six of the top 10 teams and eight of the top 15 teams in goal-scoring belonging to the West.

"If the team needs me 82 games, I'll play 82 games," he promises, just moments after conceding that his fatigue in the Phoenix Coyotes' first-round series loss against the Detroit Red Wings caused him to make some "once-in-a-while mistakes." (To the tune of a 4.36 goals-against average.)

While he didn't utter anything all that controversial in his interview, this is the same unfiltered Bryzgalov who complained about Winnipeg's parks system and asked "why you heff to be mad?" on The Score. The kind of player who tosses it all out there in a cacophony of quotes and sees what sticks. If this goaltending thing doesn't work out, he'd make a great fill-in host on WIP.

The operative question being whether this goaltending thing is going to work out with the Philadelphia Flyers?

To that end, the main question facing Bryzgalov is one of pressure. It's Philly. He' a goalie. This isn't exactly a revelation.

But there's additional pressure in this case, because Bryzgalov isn't just another in a string of orange-and-black placeholders with the staying power of a Spinal Tap drummer. He's the Franchise Goalie, and compensated as such.

Along with the desire to perform some personality surgery in the dressing room, GM Paul Holmgren shipped the salaries of Jeff Carter(notes) and Mike Richards(notes) out on the same day he signed Bryzgalov. The changes for the Flyers are liked to the acquisition of, and wagering on, this goaltender. If the team falters, he's going to be the lightning rod for criticism.

(Jaromir Jagr will get his share of flak too, but he's only on this carousel for one year.)

Bryzgalov was asked about that pressure on Monday:

Q: Are you prepared to deal with the pressure of being the guy that is look to as in some ways a goaltending savior for this organization?

"I want to be. I want to be and I want to be the guy who can carry this team. I don't know what else to say. I want to help this team win the Stanley Cup because people in Philadelphia and the organization have waited long enough. I want to win the Stanley Cup also and I think we have similar ideas, similar goals. That's why we have to work hard and reach this goal. Pressure…we have to deal with the pressure every way and every day in our lives, hockey, everywhere."

Everywhere!

Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly thinks Bryzgalov might have the right mental temperament for the Flyers job. Not the toughness, mind you — the temperament.

The pressure on a goalie to win in Philadelphia is like no other. Sean Burke, the new goalie coach in Phoenix where Bryzgalov played, said at the draft last month that it was an eye-opening experience for him to play in Philly — but that because of Bryzgalov's personality, it probably won't seem like pressure to him.

He's aloof.

Still, it's doubtful the Russian fully understands the whole "goalie thing" in this city. "I want to be the guy who can carry this team," he said. "I don't know what else to say. I want to help this team win the Stanley Cup because people in Philadelphia and the organization have waited long enough."

It's refreshing to hear an outsider join the Flyers and candidly admit what Flyers fans have been saying for the last 36 years: It's time to win another Cup.

Bryzgalov's 9-year, $51 million contract has been called one of the worst of the summer, but we don't see it. Sure, his impact on the ice has yet to be seen. Yes, his addition to the lineup caused a rippled effect throughout the roster.

But if this thing implodes, what's the worst that happens? Bryzgalov leaves for the KHL, taking his $5.66 million cap his with him?

And what's the best that can happen?

Hint: Flyers fans have been waiting for it to happen again since "Jaws" was in theaters for the first time.

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,369
    Can we call him "The Breeze?"
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Can we call him "The Breeze?"

sure ... when he lets thru 4 goals a game ...
    jaws was in the theatres !! :lol::lol::lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,369

OJ was on the run.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16

OJ was on the run.

OJ was still in his 20's :lol:
    6-white-bronco-oj-060404.jpg
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    92486.jpg

boys...let it go

OJ was on the run.

With AC driving

Sounds like Schenn impressed at this rookie camp. Keep reading good things about this gustaffson kid too. I also read that if the flyers don't land stamkos (which isn't likely) that they have a deal with chris drury worked out and he will be signed. I used to like drury a lot...great character guy and penalty killer. I don't know how much he's got left at this point in his career.

It was not very surprising that the Flyers' summer development camp ended with center Brayden Schenn flourishing. Schenn, who turns 20 next month, was acquired from the Los Angeles Kings in the trade for Mike Richards.

During Monday's intersquad scrimmage at the Skate Zone in Voorhees that concluded the camp, Schenn had three goals and one assist as his team won, 6-3. Schenn, who played a total of nine games during the last two seasons with the Kings, kept his hat trick on Monday well in perspective.

flyers: article: autoplay - OFF: continuous - OFF: tpltID - 21418340001
    Flyers at the shore Flyers prospect camp 2010-2011 Flyers fights "Anybody likes to score goals, but at the same time it is July," he said. "It is just a start, and I am trying to prove myself and earn a roster spot this year."

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said he was impressed with the physical strength of Schenn.

"He is a bull on the puck," Holmgren said. "He is strong on the puck and makes good plays."

Grading the players
    Besides Schenn, Holmgren praised five players who spent time with the AHL's Adirondack Phantoms last season for their work last week at camp.

The five were defenseman Erik Gustafsson, 22 and forwards Mike Testwuide, 24, Ben Holmstrom, 24, Matt Read, 25, and Zac Rinaldo, 22. Gustafsson and Holmstrom appeared in three and two games, respectively, in the regular season for the Flyers. Rinaldo made two playoff appearances for the Flyers.