The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm assuming this thread has been busy over the hours....

yep. crazy day.

was driving back up from baltimore and my phone started blowing up. I even put on 610 for a little while to see what the F was going on. Is eskin still on there? he wasn't today around 4, which was a pleasant surprise. anyway I heard the carter trade went down and I was soooo fired up. then 15 minutes later they reported that richards was gone too and I was bummed.

this lefty the phils brought in looks like a spider

Yeah, I heard it all at once. Then on my drive to class they started talking about Stamkos, and I'm thinking "Jesus Christ, let's easy up here." All I know is thank God the entire douche crew is now out of this city.

Glad Abreu, I mean Carter, is gone. And I gotta say, I feel pretty much the same about Richards. A little more on the fence about that one, but for what they got in return and having Bryz signed is fine by me. Richards isn't a captain. Great two-way player, but he wasn't built to be the captain, give that shit to Pronger. And there's no way you demote the captain and keep him on the team. I like it all around. I'm thinking there's gotta be another move coming too. Not holding my breath, but it makes sense.

I know a lot of people feel that way about richards, but I disagree. People weren't saying that shit before the boston series. I thought he was a good captain...maybe a little immature at times, but the dude did whatever it took to win games. He played various roles on whatever line he was put on, killed penalties, played the power play (even the point at times). I also loved the fact that even though he was undersized, he could change a game by making a hit or fighting someone when the team needed a spark (ofen a bigger dude). He was a complete all around player. I think the media portrayed him as a bad dude because he made their job difficult. I just think personality wise he wasn't a dude that liked to talk a lot (like utley).

sucks he got moved. he will always be one of my favorite flyers. seems like yesterday that richards, dawkins, utley were my mt rushmore of philly sports (last sixer worthy of being named for that is probably aaron mckie). now 2 of those 3 players are gone.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    It's naive to think that this was just an image portrayed by the media. You don't just ship out your captain unless there was an attitude problem. Especially with the coach. And might I add, a coach that isn't going anywhere.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    coach won't be around in 3 years if he doesn't produce annual deep playoff runs.

although i would assume lavy was involved in the decision tree
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,972
    The 81 wrote:
    coach won't be around in 3 years if he doesn't produce annual deep playoff runs.

That's what I mean. Your first statement goes for any coach in the NHL. But Snyder wants a Cup bad, and he's willing to listen to what Lavy says. Of course if he doesn't get at least close he's gone. But this sends a message from the coach - don't fuck with me.
    It's naive to think that this was just an image portrayed by the media. You don't just ship out your captain unless there was an attitude problem. Especially with the coach. And might I add, a coach that isn't going anywhere.

yeah, unfortunately you're probably right. who knows what went into the decision...contract, injury history, attitude, etc.

hopefully that stuff comes out. I'd love to know the truth.

I do like laviolette a lot. 3 of the 4 pro philly teams have great coaches. Ironically the dummy of the bunch is the only one with a title here.
    The 81 wrote:

That's what I mean. Your first statement goes for any coach in the NHL. But Snyder wants a Cup bad, and he's willing to listen to what Lavy says. Of course if he doesn't get at least close he's gone. But this sends a message from the coach - don't fuck with me.

makes you wonder about the late season melt down and what role richards played in it.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    The 81 wrote:
    The 81 wrote:

makes you wonder about the late season melt down and what role richards played in it.

in his defense, he was playing with a bum wrist. which he never complained about.

oh well, I guess it's time to move on
    true...

i'm not trying to throw Richards under the bus. i enjoyed his time on the team.

as we all know, it's a good idea to not get overly attached to any single player anymore
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I honestly think they make a run at Brad Richards before this is all over with

Wouldn't be shocked if the 8th pick we just got gets shipped for someone either
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    the past vs the future. good one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov4f3kmZWPo
    Why would Sbisa drop the gloves ? :lol:

Dude cant fight

isn't brad richards like 50? seems like he's been around forever. that's not a signing that is gonna get me excited
    The Fixer wrote:

isn't brad richards like 50? seems like he's been around forever. that's not a signing that is gonna get me excited

31 years old

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2104

Not too shabby

The Fixer wrote:

31 years old

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/2104

Not too shabby

a lot younger than i thought. -72 over his career though. I'd rather have laich and gagne...they could prob get both of them for less than what they'd have to give richards

will be interesting to see what they do this weekend
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    Schenn is going to be solid, surprised they got of Richards though
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    The Fixer wrote:
    a lot younger than i thought. -72 over his career though. I'd rather have laich and gagne...they could prob get both of them for less than what they'd have to give richards

It's going to be interesting

Laich would be a good fit

I'd rather sign Laich then Leino honestly

smarchee wrote:

All the locker room bs we've been hearing must be true for a GM to trade his captain and top goal scorer

Alot of shit behind closed doors

Quote from Lappy after the trade...

"Well there's clique in every team, the young guys, the veterans. Myself I was more with Pronger's group, not that I'm really a friend of his, but I prefer to follow a guy who won over a guy who never won"

• smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    smarchee wrote:

All the locker room bs we've been hearing must be true for a GM to trade his captain and top goal scorer

yeah, I guess so, wow

I don't like the length of the Bryzy deal though, that's not a good contract on the books in 2015-2016
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    smarchee wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

yeah, I guess so, wow

I don't like the length of the Bryzy deal though, that's not a good contract on the books in 2015-2016

I dont know if you saw the breakdown of the contract I posted it earlier the last 2 years are basically minimal

I think the average hit is about $6.5 mil for 7 years

The Fixer wrote:

It's going to be interesting

Laich would be a good fit

I'd rather sign Laich then Leino honestly

Agree 100%. Giving leino a multi year deal would be a mistake IMO
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    damm, i miss one day and the shit hits the fan. love the carter and Richards trade. I have seen Shenn play and man he is good. what i think people have to understand is that we got 5 top 10 picks overall for 2 players.

not meaning to cool people jets but we are not going to get Richards or Stamkos. they will be looking for 8-10 million a year and we don't have that cap space.
    fife wrote:
    damm, i miss one day and the shit hits the fan. love the carter and Richards trade. I have seen Shenn play and man he is good. what i think people have to understand is that we got 5 top 10 picks overall for 2 players.

not meaning to cool people jets but we are not going to get Richards or Stamkos. they will be looking for 8-10 million a year and we don't have that cap space.

still rumors that versteeg and bobrovsky could be moved any minute now. that would clear up even more cap space

homer is just getting started
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    how the hell did this goalie become the highest paid guy in the league (this year...or close to it ) :lol:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    how the hell did this goalie become the highest paid guy in the league (this year...or close to it ) :lol:

front loaded contract. 20% of the total amount of the contract is paid in year 1. pretty fuckin smart
    The Fixer wrote:

front loaded contract. 20% of the total amount of the contract is paid in year 1. pretty fuckin smart

still averge 6 1/2- 7 per year for a goalie in his mid 30's who never won anything..not to mention he is gonna be under a helluva spotlight ...should be interesting
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    The Fixer wrote:
    fife wrote:

still rumors that versteeg and bobrovsky could be moved any minute now. that would clear up even more cap space

homer is just getting started

why would they trade bob for? the guy has a small cap hit and played well last year. who is going to be the back-up? i hope that this is a false rumor

"Well there's clique in every team, the young guys, the veterans. Myself I was more with Pronger's group, not that I'm really a friend of his, but I prefer to follow a guy who won over a guy who never won"

sums it up right there.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,536
    The 81 wrote:

sums it up right there.

how often do captain's get traded in the nhl?
    www.myspace.com
    The 81 wrote:

sums it up right there.

how often do captain's get traded in the nhl?

not often..however the rangers are buying out their captain this year also

so thats 2 this offseason alone